1S1K-Airborne

We NEED some way to identify heros and bandits.

As an almost pure survivor/vigilante, i do this in the mod and in SA initially, wearing only a blending top and light'ish jeans, no bright colors and I was still careful, even at times looking out every window i passed while looting to scan around. I had a guy come around the corner right when i was rounding another corner, I with holstered M4, he armed with M4. I stopped, put my hands up, said "Wow, hey, friendly... hows it goin man?" Without skipping a beat, he continues jogging, comes to me, slows to a walk near me, aims his M4 while still walking and executes me. He was wearing exclusively civilian clothes. And thats not nearly the first time.

Thats why i want factioned PVP with band....err, murderer identification. If he was from another faction, such as the military, out to kill civilians to stop the virus and i was some sort of resistance (not a f'ing "hero") it would not only have been more acceptable, it would have made sense and possibly increased immersion. As it was, it felt like some goofball in his pajamas and one sock with half an erection got lucky in a weird PVP game.

See kids this is the post where people should be replying "then go play CoD herpderp"

not to people KoSing.

Edited by Weedz

Please don't go back to the old bandit/hero skin or anything like it.

It is totally unrealistic and also stimulates people to kill others just to get the bandit skin.

I have noticed a lot more friendly people in Dayz standalone than in the mod, and I think it is mostly because there is no more prestigious bandit skin.

Now the only motivation to kill others is to be a bad person...

This way it brings the real person out, just like in the Stanford prison experiment.

This entire game is like a big sociological experiment.

As an almost pure survivor/vigilante, i do this in the mod and in SA initially, wearing only a blending top and light'ish jeans, no bright colors and I was still careful, even at times looking out every window i passed while looting to scan around. I had a guy come around the corner right when i was rounding another corner, I with holstered M4, he armed with M4. I stopped, put my hands up, said "Wow, hey, friendly... hows it goin man?" Without skipping a beat, he continues jogging, comes to me, slows to a walk near me, aims his M4 while still walking and executes me. He was wearing exclusively civilian clothes. And thats not nearly the first time.

Thats why i want factioned PVP with band....err, murderer identification. If he was from another faction, such as the military, out to kill civilians to stop the virus and i was some sort of resistance (not a f'ing "hero") it would not only have been more acceptable, it would have made sense and possibly increased immersion. As it was, it felt like some goofball in his pajamas and one sock with half an erection got lucky in a weird PVP game.

Hohoho! Hold your horses! I dont wanna be part of any of this rolepalying BS! I opt out!

what the hero giveth the bandit taketh away.  here ends todays lesson.

• Like 1

Please don't go back to the old bandit/hero skin or anything like it.

It is totally unrealistic and also stimulates people to kill others just to get the bandit skin.

I have noticed a lot more friendly people in Dayz standalone than in the mod, and I think it is mostly because there is no more prestigious bandit skin.

Now the only motivation to kill others is to be a bad person...

This way it brings the real person out, just like in the Stanford prison experiment.

This entire game is like a big sociological experiment.

I don't know what you're talking about man every time I got the bandit skin it made it impossible for me to ever kill an idiotic pacifist care-bear

No. no no no no no. bad. Bad original poster!! You don't know who is good or bad in a post apocalyptic scenario. No identification. This is what you're dealing with. Deal with it!

Can I please get an /end thread here? This has gone on way too long.

Edited by Gekkonidae
  • Like 2

what the hero giveth the bandit taketh away.  here ends todays lesson.

I agree with this, and I help people sometimes! 

The balance must be kept!

Except, you aren't spawning in as a "Psychopath" man - you are a regular civilian caught in the zombie apocalypse, how would you keep sane? At this point you are a "neutral Karma" spawn, so this post of yours is completely invalid to the very concept that I brought up.  Sanity makes perfect sense, and if they are ever going to implement a "karma" system it should be Sanity.  It's the most authentic you could go without having "Nameplates, skins, armbands, etc", you actually have to take that risk still to decide if that person is trustworthy or not.  

I am sorry to break the news, but if your any kind of "skilled player" you would like the challenge.  Just another pathetic excuse to shut something down because it would make the easiest thing to do in DayZ "Harder".

I don't think Sanity would be fair for bandits.

I'm not trying to end KOS.  By all means I love PVPing.  I just would like to have some people I don't necessarily NEED to kill.

Trying to assign negative Sanity to players that like to KOS would be a definite disadvantage.

The Armband System, that you can REMOVE if you don't like it, solves the issue.  No negative stat penalty for anyone.  You can have an identifier on you if YOU want it.

Then, and only then, could you be a hero without being a stupid boring stalker, or bullet / axe sponge.

There needs to be no identifier of any kind for Hero or KOS'er, every attempt to try to "identify" the 2 in the mod ended up being complete failure. Personally it would take away a great deal from the game if there were identifiers of any kind, part of the fun is not knowing..

I just KOS everyone anyways but that's besides the point.

Edited by ASDF991

I'm no bandit, but I agree with the GP keep it the way it is. I would like a distinction between your clan members or friends, from the other players in the game that only you and your friends can see. Kinda like the Arma 3 Mod Altis Life. 

Not sure how you can call a flawed Identification system a humanity system.

Not sure why the OP ignores valid points, laughs immaturely at people for daring to oppose his idea while at the same time expecting to be taken seriously.

If you want your idea, im pretty sure that when there is a private hive you will be able to create a little mod for it implement your idea on your own server.

I enjoy the option to be whatever I want, whenever I want.

I feel no need to be shoehorned into someone else idea of what a bandit, hero, KoSer is, by some of my previous actions.

The fact is, no system is perfect. Especially with computers.

It is far to easy for them to interrpret one action or a series of actions as "definition A", when it could in fact be "definition B".

No compuer can in fact read a persons "intent", it relys on actions only and when the actions of different intents can easily be very similar or even the same, then you can maybe see the issue here.

Another reason why your idea in particular is flawed is that it appears quite simple to farm for hero status. It requires 3 people I think. One to farm a civ to become a bandit and another to farm the bandit to become a hero. Now these 3 guys can move around out of sight and when confronting another player they simply use whichever of the 3 status is more suitable and send them into view, meanwhile after gaining trust they simply take your stuff, maybe humiliate you in some way also for teh lulz.

To sum up, I wuld advise changing your thread title from "We" to "I", and "need" to "want", because it is clear from 30+ pages of opposition to your idea that it is not an idea shared by the majoirty, and you do not "need" anything besides food, water, shelter, healthcare, anything else is simply a "want".

You've watched friends, family and loved ones get turned into zombies.  Everything you know and cherish has been taken away from you.  You should be a gibbering wreck, but it ain't gonna be much of a game if it just consists of you wailing and rocking back and forth on the beach... 

if the wars, genocides and cleansings of the last century are anything to go by, from both the world wars over cambodia to the likes of rwanda, yugoslavia and sudan, human nature is pretty robust and well versed at rationalizing the most gruesome deeds.

also, why the fuck isnt this thread dead yet.....

Stop bumping the thread if your done talking about it then guys...

There needs to be no identifier of any kind for Hero or KOS'er, every attempt to try to "identify" the 2 in the mod ended up being complete failure. Personally it would take away a great deal from the game if there were identifiers of any kind, part of the fun is not knowing..

I just KOS everyone anyways but that's besides the point.

So it was a failure as a perfect system then, which brings us back to what we have now, is that what you mean? But doesn't that just make it so we retain the tension of not knowing? Something you say you want?

Btw, you guys keep talking about the fear of not knowing, while not realizing that the fear would simply be shifted elsewhere. Imagine running up to the NEAF and seeing two guys with red armbands. In my experience if they see you they might attack, they might not. With an identifier it could be that it is now their duty to take you out asap.

You KOS everyone, men and women. You understand your playing a game as a mass murderer?

Edited by Thane

Stop bumping the thread if your done talking about it then guys...

...he says, five hours after the last post was made.

Btw, you guys keep talking about the fear of not knowing, while not realizing that the fear would simply be shifted elsewhere. Imagine running up to the NEAF and seeing two guys with red armbands. In my experience if they see you they might attack, they might not. With an identifier it could be that it is now their duty to take you out asap.

Sorry, but what? This entire paragraph is nonsense.

This situation is already possible without armbands. I can run to the NEAF, see two guys and have exactly the same intense encounter. The only difference is, with the armbands, I have a bunch of information about these guys that I shouldn't have in order to influence my decision of how to respond to the situation (which, you absolutely know means that you're either going to avoid these guys or shoot them). None of you so-called Heroes are going to bump up to two guys wearing these stupid armbands to say "Hello!" That's stupid even without the extra information the armbands give you. With them, it would be downright idiotic.

So, no, the armband doesn't shift the fear of the unknown "elsewhere." It takes it away. You want to see these guys and know whether or not they're good. Fearing whether or not they're going to shoot your face is not nearly the same thing is not knowing whether they're friendly or not.

You KOS everyone, men and women. You understand your playing a game as a mass murderer?

Yes, people understand that. What's your point? Are we not allowed to do that?
  • Like 2

@ headline

In the time of the MOD I thought the same. (which people then I fight?)
I've changed my opinion.
I am now working together with people that I otherwise simply KOS.
I KOS only if I am eyewitness.

I like it now, having no identification.

...he says, five hours after the last post was made.

I didn't bump the thread just to say stop bumping the thread, did I?

Sorry, but what? This entire paragraph is nonsense.

Holy fucking hell, did you really not understand that that i was addressing the [valid] concern that identification would remove the fear involved in encountering people?

This situation is already possible without armbands. I can run to the NEAF, see two guys and have exactly the same intense encounter. The only difference is, with the armbands, I have a bunch of information about these guys that I shouldn't have in order to influence my decision of how to respond to the situation (which, you absolutely know means that you're either going to avoid these guys or shoot them). None of you so-called Heroes are going to bump up to two guys wearing these stupid armbands to say "Hello!" 

I know, now we'll hunt them down and kill them too, isn't it great! All with no risk of killing those people playing the game realistically and not killing people every other second. I want to send the douche fuck that killed me looking out a window at his friend when I had no weapon or backpack and just made it back to health after running all the way to the apts above Cherno from a north east coastal spawn. I don't want to kill players like myself who let player after player pass him without shooting them. I REALLY, REALLY DON'T...

So, no, the armband doesn't shift the fear of the unknown "elsewhere." It takes it away. You want to see these guys and know whether or not they're good. Fearing whether or not they're going to shoot your face is not nearly the same thing is not knowing whether they're friendly or not.

I never said "of the unknown", i said that IMO the game will retain the amount of fear it has. I say this because engaging a bandit is what has by far the most fear to it for me.

Yes, people understand that. What's your point? Are we not allowed to do that?

The point is that its just not realistic, at least not without some backstory as to why they would do this. That is it survival just doesn't cut it. Immersion is heavily dependent on believability. Its why we have shifted to motion cap animation over hand animation, its why we want more realistic sound effects, its why the GTA5 game developers used real former gang members to voice those roles, its why some game are completely ruined.

KOS isn't going anywhere. It is largely boredom driven and the nature of humans is that the more you play the game, the more prone to boredom one will get. I say lets embrace the KOS, but lets make it actually make sense.

Edited by Thane

TL;DR - OP needs a crutch to tell good guys from bad guys.

No, go away.

GIve us some tips, i need a good laugh right now.

Edited by Thane

if they're shooting at you, they're probably hostile..

possibly. id say, 50/50.

but its all the identification we need...

if they're shooting at you, they're probably hostile..

Well, i don't miss much when i shoot, nor do others shooting at me, so i don't understand how this frequently said "suggestion" is very helpful. Nor am i seen first very often, leading to some sneaky, but limited gameplay.

Perhaps we could make cardboard cut cuts of ourselves and place them around a corner in sight of a player...

Edited by Thane

so? if you're not prepared to die an undeserved death in DayZ, just stop playing, but, please stop crying about it. suck it up. Do better next time, learn something from the experience and move on..