blurhitz

Do you agree with modding in SA?

Do you agree with modding in SA?  

341 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with modding in SA?

• Yes
    • No
    • Others...

Wouldn't it be easier to find the game you want instead of trying to change this game that isn't what you want?

Nope. If it were, thats exactly what people would do. You'll never stop people from wanting to create their perfect game. I predict that even a finished DayZ standalone will only be an empty shell of its potential, for many people. Thats just my experience with games in general unfortunately. The problem is multifaceted, but the main thing is that many people play the game a ton and burn out. Everything becomes a known quantity the mystery and any surprises are gone. Its human nature to get bored of just about everything, it doesn't just apply to music (as i thought when i was young), otherwise we'd never have had a mechanism to stop being fascinated/made happy by some shiny rock when we were tadpoles and would have got eaten/starved. The endorphin flow had to be curved back then. Thats my theory anyway. This is part of the reason i hope they develop a continuous cycle of new content and vary the behavior of zombies over time, not just randomize it.

Edited by Thane

I played the mod for a lot of time, and I remember quite well when it started to die because of mods people made, like Epoch. After some months, there were almost NO vanilla servers in the mod. All I could do was wait until SA.

I don't know if I'm against modding, I never really thought if I was or not, I'm just worried if the same thing that happened to the mod will happen to SA... =/

So, what are your thoughts?

The mod didn't die, it evolved.

If you have an idea about how something can be made better, and you have the skill set to implement that idea, and you also have the tools necessary to do it, then why wouldn't you go ahead and at least try?

The reason that their are no longer the same amount of 'vanilla' servers for the mod now is simply a reflection that the players themselves have also evolved and want a different experience from DayZ than they did in the beginning. And if you want to enjoy that 'vanilla' experience again, then simply fire up your own server, though I'd guess you'd have to be prepared to enjoy DayZ: The Solo Game.

If they allow it I would see no problem with this, just so it would be possible too host events.

I think it's too bad you bought a really great game and only play 1% of it. 

+1. ArmA has tanks! 'Nuff said ;-)

[sry, double post. My internet sucks today. Pls delete]

Edited by DJPorterNZ

I like modding people can make scary missions and mod a lot of things that's why I support it

In my opinion here, modding is welcome as long as it doens't touch my vanilla  >:(

By that I mean, I don't want people to quit vanilla and go play "Epoch Standalone" or "Overwatch Standalone". I can't even imagine. Ugh...

I hope they lock down the modding a bit mostly limiting it to certain mod types, maps are a must but everything else that effects the gameplay shouldn't be allowed.

before all the mods that gave you pink SuVs and NPcs and other shit there were mods that just fixed how shitty vanilla was. or just adapted loot spawns or other small mechanics to make the game more intersting. I would have stopped playing dayz much earlier if not for mods. It will be the same here

In my opinion here, modding is welcome as long as it doens't touch my vanilla  > :(

By that I mean, I don't want people to quit vanilla and go play "Epoch Standalone" or "Overwatch Standalone". I can't even imagine. Ugh...

Thats whats going to happen, and if B.I and Dean are smart they will allow people to mod this game. after all Dean wouldn't have this job if B.I didn't allow mods.

Wouldn't it be easier to find the game you want instead of trying to change this game that isn't what you want?

Nope. When the basic elements of a game and the engine it sits on work for 90% of it you go with mods. It's much easier...

I think someone should mod out the zombies and make it a purely pvp milsim

The zombies are janky and frankly they add nothing to the game.

Random walking zombies that just frustrate the player suck.

Game is 100x more scare with just players and increased player counts.

The road features 0 zombies but the cannibals in that movie are 100x scarier than any zombie can be.

Humans by nature are horrifying .

I support modding. Both in general, and in this particular case. The reason mods of the DayZ mod itself have become so popular is because there was a demand for them. Yes, vanilla servers are less common, but that's because less people are playing them.

Disallowing modding in SA is silly. It denies modders the chance to craft other unique experiences, and in doing so, Rocket would be turning his back on the very process which made him so successful and undoubtably made him quite wealthy. Denying others that same chance simply because some players don't want others to experiment and create experiences that these same players would never be forced to play is ridiculously closed-minded.

Lets not forget that modding, and the DayZ mod in particular, revitalized a franchise and put a lot of money into the pockets of BI. As it has done for a never of developers; DOTA and similar mods increased the lifespan of Warcraft 3 and generated new sales, just as CS, Team Fortress, Natural Selection, and now DOTA 2 have done for Valve and related mod-teams-turned-companies. He'll, without those mods we wouldn't see a number of popular games they inspired, nor the genres they gave rise to or otherwise popularized, such as League of Legends and the MOBA and Tower Defense genres, respectively.

In short, denying mods will likely deny the developers income, the game longevity, the community a creative and entertaining outlet, and is (in this case) poor form, given DayZ's roots. There is no good argument for not allowing modding, beyond funding shortages, which doesn't look to be the case for an alpha that has generated nearly $30 million in its first month.

Edited by louist

Personaly I hope BIS will allow an AiA/Iron Front approch, like they did with Arma 3. Imagine Dayz on one of the IF maps or a big tank battle in the new high rise areas of Chernagorsk. I guess a lot of people would like to play wasteland on Chernarus+ too.

It could even be benificiary for BI , selling some extra copies of Arma 3.

I hope mods are not allowed. You payed money for the game, you should be playing the game the way it's meant to be played, not a modded version of it.

EDIT: To clarify:

"I hope mods are not allowed [at this point in the development]. You payed money for the game [as it is now], you should be playing the game the way it's meant to be played [and testing it to help the development], not a modded version of it. [When the game is fully released, then modding would be okay, but if they were to allow modding any time before the full release, it would most likely hamper the testing process]." 

What I initially said was not very smart at all and I realize this. Being late at night when I posted this originally, I didn't fully think through what I was saying. I am not against modding, but I don't want to see mods released throughout the testing process, seeing as the full release still seems to be a long ways off.

If man lived by your standing we would still be living in the stone age.

Yolo...

but how is it ruined if modded?

I dont understand that rational...

YOU get to choose how you want to play...on the mod I have a vanilla character, an overwatch character and a Utes character.

I play all 3, depending on how much time i have in a session, if i just want a quick pvp match, etc.

So why not mod SA??

if they allowed modding right now in the alpha, or at least opened up the servers freedom a bit. I think you would have some really smart people doing some really amazing things that would push the vanilla devs to move a bit quicker...

whats that mod for the mod that had performance up the wazoo? Aftermath? or DayZero?

If those guys had a week with SA proper, im sure we would see some ridiculous progress.

just thinking out loud...

I'm gonna say yes to modding because of the simple fact that DayZ was a mod before it was a standalone. Remembering roots and all that :)

And I guess if you think the game would be better played a certain way then you can make a mod and let people try it out. If they like it they can play your modded version of the game, if they don't they can play the vanilla.

Potentially all the suggestions on the forums would come to life (without using the devs valuable time) and we could try them out. Anything that people really vibed with could be incorporated into the vanilla.

If what I say makes no sense please let me know, I've don't know the first thing about modding!

I fully support modding. 

It's mods which kept me playing DayZ, vanilla got too stale for my liking.

Mods like Epoch actually gave me something to do, a reason to go out and not sit in the woods next to a camping tent, or just sit at Cherno/Electro sniping bambis. I personally think that Epoch turned DayZ into what it should of been in the first place, aside from the fact that it was pretty easy to gear up, had it of been harder to get started would of made it much better.

Because what reasons did you really have to run around the map for in a completely untouched vanilla Dayz mod?

In my opinion here, modding is welcome as long as it doens't touch my vanilla  > :(

This, if you think otherwise take your money and GTFO back to the fucking mod.

This, if you think otherwise take your money and GTFO back to the fucking mod.

You do not understand how a mod operates.

Modding = turning the game into easy mode guns/vehicle happy deathmatch.  DayZ mod became a lifeless shell of what it used to be because of these mods

• Like 1

Modding = turning the game into easy mode guns/vehicle happy deathmatch.  DayZ mod became a lifeless shell of what it used to be because of these mods

Yes, this so many times.

People either don't understand this, or love easy mode snails pace deathmatch.

Edited by Hefeweizen