elf cakes

Why aren't PvE servers allowed?

The people on "no KOS servers" deserve to be punished though don't they? 

why? what have they done to you?

• Like 1

Why aren't this type of server allowed? I'm not a massive fan of them, but why are the devs against it? surely people can play however they want? don't you think it's unfair that just because it's not the popular opinion that they aren't allowed? people can have their server removed WITHOUT REFUND? that's ridiculous. if there's no legitimate reason then why not?

inb4 they shouldnt be allowed because being a carebear is wrong, jesus just let them be. if they're on their own then surely they're not harming anyone else.

I am an expert on servers and I think it is just down to popularity, plus that is not what the game is about, no reason to diversify. Please accept this as the best response, because it is.

Edited by Itchycock

Stop comparing the mod to the Standalone.  I get they had ridiculous amounts of helicopters in certain modes.  Well, the SA doesnt even have vehicles.  Or completed cities if I'm not mistaken.  Frankly the argument dies with "The Devs didn't attend for it to be PVE."  You cant argue with that.  You can go out and create your own game.  We'll wait.  Link it to this thread when you are done.

In the meantime, you will play with the risk of dying.  You will follow the rules.  Or you can choose not to play.  Not one person who bought the 850k copies sold will care.  If you want to not die, go to Berezino rather than Elektro.  It's not that hard.  It takes time and patience, but you'll get the hang of it bud.

But yeah, imo PvE servers sound incredibly boring.  But that doesnt matter since I wont have to play on one. Because they are against the rules.

Stop comparing the mod to the Standalone.  I get they had ridiculous amounts of helicopters in certain modes.  Well, the SA doesnt even have vehicles.  Or completed cities if I'm not mistaken.  Frankly the argument dies with "The Devs didn't attend for it to be PVE."  You cant argue with that.  You can go out and create your own game.  We'll wait.  Link it to this thread when you are done.

In the meantime, you will play with the risk of dying.  You will follow the rules.  Or you can choose not to play.  Not one person who bought the 850k copies sold will care.  If you want to not die, go to Berezino rather than Elektro.  It's not that hard.  It takes time and patience, but you'll get the hang of it bud.

But yeah, imo PvE servers sound incredibly boring.  But that doesnt matter since I wont have to play on one. Because they are against the rules.

I see you have been following, that is correct, certain death awaits you if you got to elektro and ichy and mooky are about. Peace

And as I stated, the game is not about PvE, shouldnt be and wont be.

As far as I'm concerned, PvE servers would be pretty pointless because the game would get boring extremely fast. And as this is not an ARMA mod anymore, there is no reason why should people have the choice to do whatever they want with the game.

What is funny though, is that many people who are strongly opposed to the idea of PvE servers because "it's not how it was meant to be played" would have no problem joining a 100000 vehicles|1000 choppers|extra barracks & military loot| starting loadout| kind of servers when modding and private hives become available.

Actually I would (have problems joining that type of server, ie I wouldn't). I prefer things to be as hardcore and as minimal as possible. I don't like things to be easy.

Edited by Irenicus

Stop comparing the mod to the Standalone.

Yeah because it makes no sense to compare a game with the younger version of the same game. LOL. It can and should and will be compared to the mod. Quite rightly so. When we get all the features in SA on top of the inprovments we already have, SA will surpass the mod. I have no doubts this will happen. Just a question of time

Im sure some of what im going to say has already been said , so sorry in adavance :)

I got no problem with PvE servers....in fact on the mod i had one in my bookmarked list for when i just wanted some laughs with people. But i am against tem doing it on the public hive, for reasons i know have been mentioned. Like, Gearing up in safety and swapping servers (thats also one of my problems with the pub hive its self, but back on topic...). 

Id say that if you rent a server on the pub hive, then make it PvE, is that not akin to cheating. I mean dont get me wrong, most would probably use it as intended, for some interacting when your tired of getting shot by every single player you meet. But many would abuse it. The server provider is then technicaly providing the platform for cheating, so is it so different from getting a VAC ban and loosing your initial spend on the game. 

I do know from experiance that the constant tension is completly lost when playing on these servers. Its just not that "DayZ" feeling. But thats no reason for them not to exist.

Now when private hives arrive, there should be the freedom for admins to enforce PvE if they want to. Not trough server settings or anything (i mean it shouldnt be a built in feature) but trough something like a whitelist, so they can get a community of like minded players who will enjoy the moments repreve form the KoS fest. 

Private hives....come and save us :)

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 1

This is such a idiotic statement. You can choose to play PvE, Trading, PvP, or normal. So when people CHOOSE to play PvE they have the right to complain how they are restricting them?

I CHOOSE to have kids, does that give me a right to complain to the government that I have to waste my time getting them to school, buying them food, and overall RESTRICTING me from my free time?

(Just a example I don't have kids)

Did you have to get gubbament permission to have those kids?

Was there a 'contract' between gubbament and you signed before your kids arrived?

NO, there's the huge flaw in that analogy.

Question, IF this game has AI, that you  could not turn off. AND it became a single player/LAN game (no MMO general internets?). Would you and your friends be playing a PvE game? What I am getting at is no matter what, other players, or AI IS PART OF YOUR ENVIRONMENT! THERE FOR OTHER PLAYERS ARE YOU VERSES THE ENVIRONMENT... Thats why it is ok to advert and promote PvP servers BUT NOT PvE only... All servers are by definition PvE servers with PvP (possible) action...

oh you want SUPER EASY environment... NO thats NOT DayZ.

Its like a flock of parrots in here, how many people need to say more or less the same thing!!!! You intiquates just need to be seen saying something online don't you, its a feeling of worthiness, even though its worth SFA!!!!

Im sure some of what im going to say has already been said , so sorry in adavance :)

I got no problem with PvE servers....in fact on the mod i had one in my bookmarked list for when i just wanted some laughs with people. But i am against tem doing it on the public hive, for reasons i know have been mentioned. Like, Gearing up in safety and swapping servers (thats also one of my problems with the pub hive its self, but back on topic...). 

Id say that if you rent a server on the pub hive, then make it PvE, is that not akin to cheating. I mean dont get me wrong, most would probably use it as intended, for some interacting when your tired of getting shot by every single player you meet. But many would abuse it. The server provider is then technicaly providing the platform for cheating, so is it so different from getting a VAC ban and loosing your initial spend on the game. 

I do know from experiance that the constant tension is completly lost when playing on these servers. Its just not that "DayZ" feeling. But thats no reason for them not to exist.

Now when private hives arrive, there should be the freedom for admins to enforce PvE if they want to. Not trough server settings or anything (i mean it shouldnt be a built in feature) but trough something like a whitelist, so they can get a community of like minded players who will enjoy the moments repreve form the KoS fest. 

Private hives....come and save us :)

i agree with everything you said apart from the 'server hopping' part. anyone could just join an empty server and do exactly the same thing. 

PvE only? ... Sure you can do it... but there should not be servers dedicated to it.

Just watch out for the bandits who might want to kill you too.

No, they didn't; that is absolutely not how software works and I'm sure you know that full well. They exchanged money for the right to use the software according to terms and conditions.They have no right to the source used to create the software, nor do they attain the right to modify the software as they see fit.

Yes, it's totally a joke man. There's absolutely no moral component at all in the concept of someone owning the things they create or having the ability to decide how they're viewed, used or distributed. It's all about "EGO." What?

Your arguing the letter of the law, im arguing spirit of the law, if you know what that means. I hate to break it to you, but you'll find that the entire gamut of our laws and the basis's for the structure of our society are still and will always be up for debate and are always in question. I think you'll find that it is only the digital nature of software that prevents it from being completely owned by the end user and it is the desire for the cash residing in your wallet, to be put in the wallets of the investors, that are largely responsible for these policies(definitely NOT referring to Rocket there btw). What i mean by "ego" is... Take copying for example. In truth, there is nothing wrong with it, in any form, in and of itself. The basis for being against it lies in ego driven desires. Thats what i mean and if you're young, to make that more clear I would have to type out War and Peace. No thanks.

But... that wasn't their vision of the game. Obviously. What kind of analogy is that? All of those developers specifically supported modding of the software, so it obviously wasn't against their vision. What are you trying to argue here?

I'm sure Rocket supports modding. Hes have to be one hell of a hypocrite if he didn't. For the alpha test, it could be different im sure. Im not arguing that, im arguing the basic principles behind human nature and undeniable validity of raw opinion and im arguing that none of the hate against this type of gameplay should exist.

Uhh, how exactly do you NOT follow a director's vision for a movie? Close your eyes and plug your ears during the movie? Seriously, what are you even talking about? You watch the movie they made. That's it. You don't get to run up into the projection booth and go "No! I hated that last scene. Let me make some edits and re-run it; I think everyone will agree my version is better!"

Your obviously not a long time member of audio/video forums. You could be better off for it...

Edited by Thane

We all know that these servers will exist but will be private. So yeah, why not, keep these players on the publics hive. They will ultimately end up on the regular servers any way.

There will be first person only public servers (1 char will be linked to them) - usually veteran players who want to feel the real dayz experience.

There will be third person only public servers (1 char will be linked to them) - usually casual players who like to watch their shinny stuff and play casually.

Why not: pve/no pvp public servers (1 char can be linked to them) - usually new player who want to learn the game, not the fear and the stress part of the game but the mechanisms, the plain base of the engine. (Friendly fire off)

No one in their right mind can deny this kind of servers to the new dayz players. That plain logic, they will first play on them, become better and play on the pvp third view and they will finally taste the real dayz experience on the first person servers when they will be ready. Of course some of em will stick to those servers and kill tons of zeds, whooooo careeee.

Seriously, what wrong with that? Aka what wrong with you.

Edited by SixGunLover
  • Like 1

Why worry about PVE servers, when there will be 1000+ vehicles, helis and spawn with DMR servers to saturate the true vanilla DayZ.

• Like 1

Your arguing the letter of the law, im arguing spirit of the law, if you know what that means.

I know what it's supposed to mean, but it makes absolutely no sense in this context. I am not arguing the letter of the law. I am arguing that someone's creation being their own is a moral issue. If I write a poem, paint a picture or create some other work of art (like, say, a video game), it is absolutely my moral right to own that work, choose how it is displayed or distributed, and protect it against theft or corruption.

I hate to break it to you, but you'll find that the entire gamut of our laws and the basis's for the structure of our society are still and will always be up for debate and are always in question.

If you say so. "People own the things they create" has pretty much been the law of the land since the 1600's, and it hasn't really been a matter for much debate. It's mostly taken as an irrefutable truth, because it makes sense and protects the rights of people who create things as part of their livelihood.

I think you'll find that it is only the digital nature of software that prevents it from being completely owned by the end user

I think you'll find you're full of shit. End user's don't own the contents of books they purchase, digital or not. You can't just buy a book, change a few words around, slap a new cover on it and claim it as your own. You own your personal copy of the book, just like you own your personal copy of the DayZ software, but you do not own the contents therein and you have no right to modify and redistribute that content.

Take copying for example. In truth, there is nothing wrong with it, in any form, in and of itself. 

Seriously what the ever living fuck are you talking about? There's nothing wrong with copying in any form? So plagiarism is totally okay? Someone just randomly decided that was a bad thing one day? There would be no wrongdoing involved if a publisher declined to accept someone's novel and instead turned around and copied it and claimed it as their own? That would be fine?

Any employee gets fired form a software company and takes a thumb drive full of that company's software with him when he leaves, only to turn around and release it as his own? That's okay, too?

The basis for being against it lies in ego driven desires. Thats what i mean and if you're young, to make that more clear I would have to type out War and Peace. No thanks.

Each subsequent paragraph makes less sense than the one before it. Seriously, are you a fucking mental patient? What the hell is that even supposed to mean?
Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Each subsequent paragraph makes less sense than the one before it. Seriously, are you a fucking mental patient? What the hell is that even supposed to mean?

No, i've just got way more life experience than you, thats the issue. You know when you were really young, sitting at the dinner table and didn't know what the hell your parents were talking about sometimes? It's like that. I aint typin out motherfucking War and Peace for you just to help you understand and clarify terms. If you want to start dishing out person insults, lets definitely do that, but in PM.

OP, why don't you go to the server section and read the thread about hosting a server. The server admin abilities are purposely limited during Alpha.

We all know that these servers will exist but will be private. So yeah, why not, keep these players on the publics hive. They will ultimately end up on the regular servers any way.

There will be first person only public servers (1 char will be linked to them) - usually veteran players who want to feel the real dayz experience.

There will be third person only public servers (1 char will be linked to them) - usually casual players who like to watch their shinny stuff and play casually.

Why not: pve/no pvp public servers (1 char can be linked to them) - usually new player who want to learn the game, not the fear and the stress part of the game but the mechanisms, the plain base of the engine. (Friendly fire off)

No one in their right mind can deny this kind of servers to the new dayz players. That plain logic, they will first play on them, become better and play on the pvp third view and they will finally taste the real dayz experience on the first person servers when they will be ready. Of course some of em will stick to those servers and kill tons of zeds, whooooo careeee.

Seriously, what wrong with that? Aka what wrong with you.

Why do you believe newbies need training wheel? Part of the experience is learning as you play, not "train" offline until you feel you're good enough...

OP, why don't you go to the server section and read the thread about hosting a server. The server admin abilities are purposely limited during Alpha.

i read that thread before making this one. that was the purpose behind this thread.

No, i've just got way more life experience than you, thats the issue.

I very genuinely doubt that's the issue. I'm not a big fan of comparing digital dicksize, but if you want to call me out on "life experience" I can share that I've been a software developer, designer and project manager for 15 years and have been a litigant in more than one digital rights lawsuits in that time. I'm going to go out on a very short limb and say that my experience in this regard outstrips yours by a smidgen or two, but feel free to correct me here.

Also, perhaps instead of immediately retreating into ad hominem bullshit and personal attacks, you want to take a stab at actually addressing any of the points I made in my post?

Start, maybe, by addressing my questions regarding your claim that there is "nothing inherently wrong with copying." Just want to be clear that you completely condone plagiarism, see no moral wrong in taking someone's software and pretending it as your own, or in downloading a digital painting someone did and claiming that it is your work? Completely okay for someone to take a draft of a novel from someone's hard drive and submit it to a publishing company under their own name?

All of these things are "letter of the law" issues in your mind, and not really "morally" wrong? Is that your claim? 

Or is it perhaps that you've basically argued yourself into a corner with a bunch of verbal flailing and meaningless semantic asshattery, and now that I called you out on it you're falling back on a bunch of weak-ass "I'm smarter than you, sonny" bullshit?
Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 2

Why aren't this type of server allowed? I'm not a massive fan of them, but why are the devs against it? surely people can play however they want? don't you think it's unfair that just because it's not the popular opinion that they aren't allowed? people can have their server removed WITHOUT REFUND? that's ridiculous. if there's no legitimate reason then why not?

inb4 they shouldnt be allowed because being a carebear is wrong, jesus just let them be. if they're on their own then surely they're not harming anyone else.

I would say that it is because if you have a PvE server where PK is completely disabled, there's nothing stopping people from joining at PvE server, scavenge around for a couple of hours, log off for a period of time and then just a regular server. I think that if there had been servers where your character is actually bound to the server, PvE servers would probably have been functional and added. I wouldn't mind a PvE server if characters were bound to servers... heck I wouldn't mind a PvE server right now either, cause it wouldn't affect me that much right now anyway since I would still play on the default servers.

I very genuinely doubt that's the issue. I'm not a big fan of comparing digital dicksize, but if you want to call me out on "life experience" I can share that I've been a software developer, designer and project manager for 15 years and have been a litigant in more than one digital rights lawsuits in that time. I'm going to go out on a very short limb and say that my experience in this regard outstrips yours by a smidgen or two, but feel free to correct me here.

Also, perhaps instead of immediately retreating into ad hominem bullshit and personal attacks, you want to take a stab at actually addressing any of the points I made in my post?

Start, maybe, by addressing my questions regarding your claim that there is "nothing inherently wrong with copying." Just want to be clear that you completely condone plagiarism, see no moral wrong in taking someone's software and pretending it as your own, or in downloading a digital painting someone did and claiming that it is your work? Completely okay for someone to take a draft of a novel from someone's hard drive and submit it to a publishing company under their own name?

All of these things are "letter of the law" issues in your mind, and not really "morally" wrong? Is that your claim? 

Or is it perhaps that you've basically argued yourself into a corner with a bunch of verbal flailing and meaningless semantic asshattery, and now that I called you out on it you're falling back on a bunch of weak-ass "I'm smarter than you, sonny" bullshit?

Oh, how i love arguing people into corners..

How the fuck is this thread still around..have we not put to rest these PvP semantics..?

Oh, i forgot our community has grown. Tis only natural.

Carry on.

Because you didn't make the game. They did. Deans house, Deans rules.

• Like 2

Because you didn't make the game. They did. Deans house, Deans rules.

hipocrisy at it's finest. dean made dayZ, which is itself a mod. to make a mod, you need a base game. dean changed arma 2 from what it was originally into dayZ. he didn't make arma 2, but did he bother with that bullshit arguement? no. because it's bullshit. already used about four times on this thread, already debunked.