BenCy

Already frustrated, new player needs advice

Hi all,

let me start by saying that DayZ is a GREAT game, I bought it 2 days ago and i've played it already for 12 hours, BUT i'm already kinda frustrated!

Let me explain: in the 12 hours I played I probably died 8-10 times and every death was also a lesson, wich is good of course but i can't stand the initial looting process!!

With this last charachter i was probably 3 and a half hours in, just got my first M4 with supressor and was happy like a little kid, had a ton of food, found a can opener and for the first time even a canteen, i already knew that the airstrip at the coast was a dangerous place so i lurked around looting stuff only to ge ambushed by two guys! I fled in the control tower and just asked politely to leave without any firefight (VERY BAD IDEA), i was on the stairs and didn't notice there where some windows and got shot in the head! 

So here I am dead after 3 hours of looting and searching with a hand full of NOTHING. Don't get me wrong, I don't care about the food or the gun, but i'm kinda frustrated that I have to start all over again and search for a backpack and all that stuff. Everytime i started over it took me at least 1 hour to get "set up".

So here's my question to some of the more experienced players: How do you start over without getting frustrated ?

I will still play the game because the last moment made me fear for my life, I was scared and i was pumping adrenalin like vin diesel on cocaine and there are very few games that make you experience such moments so i haven't given up :) !!!!

One thing is for sure: i won't trust ANYONE anymore !! i will shoot on sight if I see a fire weapon so don't get pissed with me but with the 2 dudes that killed me 30 mins ago!

See you in game 

BenCy

• Like 2

You do get frustrated... Every time I die I have to go curse for a couple of minutes :D

Loosing my life in DayZ is just... AAAARGH!

• Like 3

I miss days when game make me feel this way :D

loot system is ok if you remember after guys taking it don't come back only after server restart ;)

if you see town where you are all door is open go to next town maybe away from coast

you are correct don't trust nobody UNLESS THEY EARN TRUST :)

there is honest good guys around but is rare

keep try keep enjoy and if I see you in game I will give assist for you no shoots :thumbsup:  ;)

unless you shoot on me first :thumbsup: :ph34r:

Edited by KoS

I don't get annoyed because I rarely die.

If you die, 9/10 times it's your own fault.

People want to do everything quickly, sometimes you just have to slow down and scout out an area and pay attention before moving in to loot - keep your eyes open.

The looting process is generally pretty quick and easy, you just have to be careful and make sure you've always got a method of escape if someone is to attack you - no need for shooting on sight.

Don't trust anybody, you don't have to kill them but NEVER trust them without them giving you a reason to do so, along with this you should also never put yourself in a position where anyone can easily take advantage and get a jump on you.

• Like 7

frustration is part of the game :)

but actually I like starting from nothing, the looting startup gear is pretty nice as you need almost everything, so most of item you find is a good surprise.

it's more frustrating when you miss few specific items that you don't manage to find

• Like 3

That's the whole point, if you die you lose everything.  That's why those moments got so tense.

What I do is relish being a fresh spawn.  Most of us got this game not be a pro PvPer and rack up kills while being completely kitted out.  The draw is a survival sim.  It's easy to survive when you have everything.  It's not so easy when you've just got a flashlight and a shirt on your back.  It's what makes the game interesting, getting by with what you can scavenge.  It's almost refreshing to end up dying after awhile and restart.

Sadly I've gotten too good to get myself killed, even when running into the line of fire to heal up people.  I know in the Mod I would periodically off myself and start fresh.

• Like 1

Getting frustrated when you get killed is the ultimate learning experience. It's a game about surviving in the apocalypse, and just like The Walking Dead, it's real focus is about how much of a bastard a human being can be to another human. Especially at this phase in the game, getting shot in the head and losing all your hard earned scav is pretty much the name of the game.Three hours of scavenging time lost is nothing when you finally get a spawn that lasts for a day plus, and you're all proud of yourself and your two 300 round cases full of m4 ammo and your beautiful m4 with cq buttstock and supressor and bipod and 3 60 round clips, with enough food to survive a week, only to fall off a ladder or somehow get capped coming out of a shed in the middle of nowhere. The trick is to curse your enemies, take down names and swear vengeance. Find a server that's only got one or two people on it, rebuild your stock, then hop back, find a name you recognize and ambush them. I find that handcuffing a motherfucker, then chasing them through a town with a crowbar makes you feel a lot better at the end of the day.

Shit happens, and if you're going to get frustrated getting killed after a couple hours of scavving, you're gonna burn yourself out real quick. Learn to have fun with the end of days.

• Like 2

Just like in real life, its about the journey.  Enjoy every moment and your life will be better for it!

It's called replay value... When you die... You have nothing to loose go for the gusto... Bum rush bolota... Head into cherno... My 2 cents...

Gearing up is easy, just dont go in areas that are already been looted

my advice is unless your on a low population server...to always act as if there is another player trying to find you. always keep food and water on ya. if you do see a player before they see you..keep them in your sights until they move on..or follow them what ever..ive followed players for 10 mins before actually talkin to them, watching thier behaviors. the majority of people out there are bandits lol its easier to take something than find it yourself..lol KOS bandits lead a boring game. the fun of being a bandit is intimidating another player into submission lol and then taking your stuff. BUT anyway keep out of sight dont get into a hurry be patient check your surroundings before moving on, listen for sounds of running, gun reloading, talking or whatever. the game is a blast try not to get too frustrated..ive died probly 5 or more times by other players..others where wipes or glitches like flying off a ladder. but im still having fun. OH find other players to run with. bandits are less likely to even bother with you if you have a buddy

You are not left with NOTHING. You gained experience.

• Like 1

I can't believe nobody has said this yet, so here it is... "Welcome to DayZ".

find yourself some friends in game or convince some of your real life pals to get the game.. its amazing how much safer you feel with even 1 extra person with you 

find yourself some friends in game or convince some of your real life pals to get the game.. its amazing how much safer you feel with even 1 extra person with you 

true ! And may be you feel to much safer when your are not alone ;)

strangely, i dont get upset when I die or fall off a ladder or log in and my character is holding only a flashlight. farming is part of the game. ive died enough to embrace that. get too attached to worldy possessions, isn't their a king lear quote in there somewhere?

this game forces me to think smart tactically. if you don't, you die. ive done plenty of bonehead "im in the open- lookit me!" routines and now i use stealth as a #1 advantage for myself.

when i die, i run immediately to an airfield to get a gun. from there, i can gather clothing, ammo, food, drink, helmet, scary mask etc.... i kind of have the mentality that nothing matters until i have a gun. what would piss you off more- spending hours gathering food and drink without a weapon and dying- someone taking it all, or having a gun, ammo and defending what you spent an hour collecting? dunno about you, but without a gun, all you can really do is make a mean face. that doesnt help survival.

i also have the map up on a 2nd screen and use it quite a bit. ive been carrying more food lately, less water because i typically drink at the towns. and drinking in the towns is drink only- run up, crouch, hit F 30 times and then bolt out of there. so many times i roll up and 2 dudes are eating near the water- now how do you think that goes? me with weapon in hand, them with crunchy cereal in their hands? get in and get out quick to live longer.

in the beginning, everything was about looking scary. those clown masks are great, but im shying away from them. why? because they are white. ive spotted people in bushes hiding with them on. now its all about light or dark green. no colored backpacks. i try for that hunter one because it blends in.

always assume someone is watching you. always. ive been killed on a 7 person server. last night, my friend got killed on a 4 man server. as that guy shot my buddy, he immediately went to loot him, so all i had to do was aim and pop pop pop. why assume the town is clear? if he looked for a 4 second period, he would have seen me standing across the road. i wasnt even hidden. now he's dead and i have more food and ammo than i know what to do with. great for me, sucks for him.

not to be a misanthrope, but i dont trust people. been burned too much, so when i see someone, i watch to see what they are doing. i only engage if its a clean shot. i rarely talk to anyone because you simply cant trust them. i usually game with 6+ guys all in our group. they do the same. what are you going to gain by helping someone? so they dont die? dying is part of the game, and if you know how many times you've died in this game since you started playing, you're not a veteran. youre gonna die- A LOT. so do everything you can do ensure you survive. someone doesnt know how to heal? yell at them to use google. lol. but keep them at a distance.

i keep bambis at a distance. not sure if its new, but ive been knocked out unconscious 4 times in a matter of 3 days. so now bambis are a threat. i know this forum likes to do a hands-across-America for bambis and their rights, but a player with nothing has nothing to lose, so they are more aggressive than a stacked player w/ gun. so keep them at a distance. if they ignore your command to stop, gun them down because they clearly arent up to any good.

dont get annoyed everytime you die. farming is part of the fun, so embrace it. its a pretty fun game. i do get annoyed when i fall off a stair case or spawn in with nothing when i was stacked. but eeh, it is alpha. honestly, im more annoyed trying to fill my 2nd canteen after 5 attempts and not successfully doing so, lol.

That's the whole point, if you die you lose everything.  That's why those moments got so tense.

What I do is relish being a fresh spawn.  Most of us got this game not be a pro PvPer and rack up kills while being completely kitted out.  The draw is a survival sim.  It's easy to survive when you have everything.  It's not so easy when you've just got a flashlight and a shirt on your back.  It's what makes the game interesting, getting by with what you can scavenge.  It's almost refreshing to end up dying after awhile and restart.

Sadly I've gotten too good to get myself killed, even when running into the line of fire to heal up people.  I know in the Mod I would periodically off myself and start fresh.

Yeah, DayZ isn't a game for people who want to epeen about their KDR.

http://dayzstats.wix.com/dayzgamestats

I think OP is looking at it the wrong way.  The fun part is starting over with nothing!  Plus, it's prime time for shenanigans because you've literally got nothing to lose.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly

1St thing I do? I find the water source and I drink from it untill I'm full ^^ so I can focus only on eating for 1h or more :P then I rush cherno, join some 15ppl server and loot all residentals, I always find tons of food and mossin. After that I'm ready to go ^^

I hate dying in DayZ, but I love starting over.

As it's already been said, the lessons carries over. The more you play, the better you'll know the map. The better you know the loot locations and the better your know the player dynamics. The great thing about dying is that you lose all you shit and then don't have to worry about losing it again for a while. When you respawn you have nothing to lose and when you start over again, you can play more freely, until you get enough good gear to begin worrying over it again.

Don't get attached to your gear, that's most important.

What I usually do is to simply switch targets. For example, if I got killed while having all kinds of camo clothing, Mosin, military vest and helmet, then my next goals are: Find a mosin, get a blue backpack with blue jeans etc.

I might still end up finding camo clothing etc. and of course, will use those, but the idea is: set your goals lower than the avatar that just got killed. In that sense, you are easier to be happy about your current game and get constant postive feedback if you find sth better than initially set as a goal. 

Nice, another new player joining the game and learning that KoS is the only way to play. GG

I'm of the same opinion. Brand new myself and just got 3-4 hours worth of gear wasted by a KOS player. First real person I've seen since downloading the game. I'm not pissed but I'll tell you this. I'm going to pull the trigger first and ask questions later from now on. To much investment to risk.

I'm exactly the opposite of you... whenever I get really well geared, after a while I just want to die so I can go around looking for stuff while helpless again.

• Like 2

So essentially as you gear up you need to become much more cautious not to face plant and die