crazyandlazy

Should I invest my time in 1st Person Servers?

If they lock out third person, someone's just going to wind up making a mod for it when mod compatibility comes out anyway. Hardcores get their full-throttle immersion, everyone else gets the game they want to play.

Problem?

cept they are never going to remove 3rd person..

once they open the seperate hive for FPV that will be the end of discussion..

least until those FPV servers empty out, cuz there just arent enuf people who actualy like it, and soon everyone is back to the TPV servers..

I think you'll probably find the players who prefer first person view will congregate on a few servers. They won't die out, they just won't be all that common.

That's basically the point I'm arguing. No matter whether the developers keep third person view in the game or not, sooner or later someone's going to mod it in. Everyone gets what they want. It really just looks like people are arguing over this for the sake of slugging it out. I don't see the point.

• Like 2

I dont understand how a 2d fpv is considered to be "more realistic"

My field of view and perhifial vision is so much greater than what fpv offers.

Unless I have a head tracker I have to take my hand off of the mouse and use my keypad to look around.

They both have their benefits but both have their weaknesses.  And were both implemented in the game to balance eachother out.

When im runnin through a field third person offers a much more realistic view of what you would see and feel actually running through a field.  Where as in close quarters, first person makes a lot more sense.

Yes third person has the problem of being able to see around corners that needs to be addressed.

But you guys making it seem that one view or the other being available as an option, is a game breaking feature, are ridiculous.

For full immersion in a TWO DIMENSIONAL world.... You need both views.

Edited by JPWiser
  • Like 1

Unless I have a head tracker I have to take my hand off of the mouse and use my keypad to look around.

They both have their benefits but both have their weaknesses.  And were both implemented in the game to balance eachother out.

When im runnin through a field third person offers a much more realistic view of what you would see and feel actually running through a field.  Where as in close quarters, first person makes a lot more sense.

Yes third person has the problem of being able to see around corners that needs to be addressed.

But you guys making it seem that one view or the other being available as an option, is a game breaking feature, are ridiculous.

Actually it's 4 dimensional since there's 3d objects and time passing... just because you have the 3 visible dimensions mapped onto a 2d panel makes not a jot of difference, still 3d Im afraid. Im sure in the future someone will make a mod to enable red/green or polarised 3d for you to look at it through...(and time will still be the 4th dimension)...

ps. You dont need to take your hand off to look around, just keep pressing alt and move your mouse. Voila, your head moves with your mouse (unless you have binded something else to alt button) :D 

Edited by Tunhhu

Well done both of you for missing the point.

Irregardless of esports, PvP is competition.

3rd person views ruin the competition by making turtling/camping in cover the most effective tactic. Thus both teams turtle. No-one wins, the crowd goes home bored. Hence why there are no 3rd person esports and why 3rd person sucks for pvp.

The end.

EDIT for the ad hominem attempt: I do still play Quake and I am in the top level of players but am nowhere near the highest echelons that can earn (reasonable) money from it. If I was ten years younger and wanted to earn proper money playing a competitive FPS it'd be from Counterstrike - I don't think it's as highly skilled on an individual level as Quake is but sadly Quake is nearly 20 years old now and with the huge increases in graphical fidelity during the 90s, the most popular games have 'evolved' into more realistic shooters. Put a bunch of Quake players into a CS server and they'll finish in the top places once they've learned the map and specific game mechanics (stutter stepping etc), put us in a COD or BF server and it's even more apparent.

I play many games of all varieties and am hugely interested in game design and mechanics...which is why I'm participating in the alpha - my sig is purely a fuck you for all the COD kiddies running around.

I mostly agree with this.. I played at high levels in Quake 2 Instagib, and Counter-Strike 1.6 and CS:Source.. DayZ, CoD, and Battlefield are filled with a bunch of entitled whining pussies. Only the very very best CoD or BF3/4 players could even hold a candle to the AVERAGE competitive CS or Quake player. DayZ players are 90% scrubs. 

More on topic.. I have seen several 1st Person Only servers with 20-35 people on them.

Edited by Etherimp

In other words, are they going to be the majority in the future? Will they be more popular?

0606dc9e03f7bd8f603e121d2d8f9bb36b98fb7a

• Like 2

Actually it's 4 dimensional since there's 3d objects and time passing... just because you have the 3 visible dimensions mapped onto a 2d panel makes not a jot of difference, still 3d Im afraid. Im sure in the future someone will make a mod to enable red/green or polarised 3d for you to look at it through...(and time will still be the 4th dimension)...

Still doesnt change the fact that you need both views for you to be able to see all potential angles you would be able to, as effortlessly as you would in RL.

Aka you need both.

But thanks for the lesson on dimensions Bill Nye....

Technically PvP is competition, so technically you have the technical choice between competing in Third Person View or competing on an empty server, because all the First Person Players are playing on a Third Person Server.

i guess i am a pov elitist then...

but then i play dayz because i like a hard/realistic game so makes sense. there are 4 AU servers with 1st person right now and they are between 25 and 40 players each which is decent enough for now

• Like 1

i guess i am a pov elitist then...

but then i play dayz because i like a hard/realistic game so makes sense. there are 4 AU servers with 1st person right now and they are between 25 and 40 players each which is decent enough for now

It's amazing that there is no filter option for 3rd and 1st person servers.

Technically PvP is competition, so technically you have the technical choice between competing in Third Person View or competing on an empty server, because all the First Person Players are playing on a Third Person Server.

It's a survivalist game. Competition is only the case in games that make you gear up same as your opponent, which will not be the case in DAYZ. So, there is no competition or sport to be had but just the good old kill or be killed. Also, if you remove third person then most players will just KOS because they wont have the time to properly observe other players they meet along the way -before they have to decide to shoot or be friendly. My suggestion is for you to leave the third person alone and go play Counterstrike when you want to compete

Edited by Highlander007
  • Like 2

I typically switch to third person view in open areas and then back to first in towns to help aiming better, but today I tried the FPV servers for a while. It's a bit hard to get used after playing both the SA and the mos using TPV so long, but once you do get used to it you can see the advantages.

It's harder for me to see other players, yes, but it's also harder for them to see me. Somehow this makes me feel safer, it's also nice to know that in the chance of an encounter we'll both have equal opportunities.

If you are on the fence about FPV servers give it a go, I think Im going to try to stick with them for now, it feels "right".

Protip: disable the headbob from the Gameplay menu, it'll drastically improve your FPV experience.

Also, try messing around with the FOV, a high value will allow you to see more but will also distort the image in close quarters, which might make dizzy in some cases, a low FOV will make you see less, but objects will have a more realistic looking scale and you'll be able to judge distances better, funny thing I've learned playing racing simulators :D

• Like 2

It's a fucking SURVIVALIST game. Most of the time I don't know IF I'm going to shoot at all when I see another player. PVP is a competition only if you guarantee everyone has same gear and weapons. This wont be the case in this game most of the time. LEAVE THE FUCKING 3rd person alone and go play Counterstrike or some other shit

Which makes it even worse for having 3rd person. 

* Play for hours on end and your spotted by 3rd person exploiting snipers on a hospital roof?

- O wait, you probably one of snipers.... sorry exposing your natural habitat.

Common sense, eh?

Edited by Sobieski12

It's amazing that there is no filter option for 3rd and 1st person servers.

Im sure it'll be added eventually, they've just added the option for FPV only servers which Im guessing is a rather experimental thing.

For the time being the easiest way to find FPV only servers is to search for the word "off" in the server browser. 

* Play for hours on end and your spotted by 3rd person exploiting snipers on a hospital roof?

Common sense, eh?

If they remove the option of hopping from server to server for loot then we can start talking about the reality and POV. Your backpack is prolly filled with stuff from 10 different servers before I manage to spot you from any kind of position with any kind of weapon in hand

Edited by Highlander007

It's a survivalist game. Competition is only the case in games that make you gear up same as your opponent, which will not be the case in DAYZ. So, there is no competition or sport to be had but just the good old kill or be killed. Also, if you remove third person then most players will just KOS because they wont have the time to properly observe other players they meet along the way -before they have to decide to shoot or be friendly. My suggestion is for you to leave the third person alone and go play Counterstrike when you want to compete

As I said in my first reply, I prefer the immersion of playing FPV. have done since the days of playing Thief in the early 90s. As I also said in a later post, I still play CS and Quake when I want PvP - because it beats trekking around for hours just to find a target...

BUT there is PvP in the game and - similarly to Eve Online - even when playing a carebear style you HAVE to be aware of the PvP elements because you can still be attacked at anytime and anywhere. So I personally don't aggress in this survival game but I had to watch out that there could be hidden attackers around pretty much every corner watching my move... fortunately that's now over for me with the new FPV servers, if I can't see that guy camping on the roof, he can't see me.

As I said in my first reply, I prefer the immersion of playing FPV. have done since the days of playing Thief in the early 90s. As I also said in a later post, I still play CS and Quake when I want PvP - because it beats trekking around for hours just to find a target...

BUT there is PvP in the game and - similarly to Eve Online - even when playing a carebear style you HAVE to be aware of the PvP elements because you can still be attacked at anytime and anywhere. So I personally don't aggress in this survival game but I had to watch out that there could be hidden attackers around pretty much every corner watching my move... fortunately that's now over for me with the new FPV servers, if I can't see that guy camping on the roof, he can't see me.

Unlike EVE Online, DayZ has no HiSec space.

Yeah, don't you know? 1st person players are just better than everyone else. It's like a superior race of beings, except from the same planet and sorry I was going to write more but I rolled my eyes so hard they fell out the back of my fucking head.

That was extremely funny.

Bravo

• Like 1

Unlike EVE Online, DayZ has no HiSec space.

Thank god - I have seen threads mentioning a similar idea before though, someone suggested a military NPC controlled camp (ala Concord) for risk-free trading or somesuch - it got pissed on by everyone tho :)

Common sense, eh?

in game feature = exploiting, you 1st person people are laughable

• Like 2

I'm new to the whole DayZ, never played the mod, posted a few questions / concerns of mine on here and get positive and friendly responses. So I was wondering, what do you guys find better, 3rd person + 1st person servers or just 1st person?

Due to never trying a 1st person only, due to it just releasing, I imagine it will make the game a lot more less 'glitchy' and a lot more fair, as people can not look through walls, see behind walls / buildings / round corners without actually looking, and it would make the game a lot more fun, however i'm not sure if that would be true, as I am unable to play at the moment.

Do you guys find the 1st person only servers better or worse?

Also will they be more popular then they are now?

Edited by TheStevieJ

So, in a game based on realism and survival, it's totally realistic to wallhack using 3rd person perspective, right?

I have used it, because it's part of the game, but I have no problem with Third Person being removed, EXCEPT in the case of driving vehicles, because TBH driving a vehicle in DayZ without third person is an exercise in futility.

Omniscience of your surroundings in an authentic survival game = feature?

...or just something that hasn't been patched out of the alpha yet?

So, in a game based on realism and survival, it's totally realistic to wallhack using 3rd person perspective, right?

I have used it, because it's part of the game, but I have no problem with Third Person being removed, EXCEPT in the case of driving vehicles, because TBH driving a vehicle in DayZ without third person is an exercise in futility.

If 3rd person was removed from running around and such they would have to remove it from driving. you know for the realism that this game holds to so greatly, do you have super zoom in eyes in real life!? I wish I did.