Sign in to follow this  
Teg (DayZ)

Remove 1st or 3rd person - thoughts?

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to this game, only been playing for about a week or two now. Love it so far, very cool to take survival to such an extreme level...

One thing I am curious about though, is why does this game include third person mode? This might seem like a ridiculous question, as everyone including myself probably plays in third person. However, if this is a true survivor game, why do we have the option to play in third person? It's not realistic, and it's a HUGE advantage over first person players (if those players even exist). Being able to see around corners, 360 degree view without turning around, etc.

Every RPG that has the option for third or first view, the better players will always play in third. I like playing in third, i just wonder why RPGs even include first person to begin with. I would love to see a RPG that showcases true immersion by forcing you to play through the eyes of your character, and thus be limited in your reaction time and visibility as you would in real life.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Not this again.  This topic has been discussed to death already.  Had over 100 pages of replies and started huge controversy.  Rocket has left 3rd person in for a reason.  He will add servers later on that will only allow 1st person for those who want to play on them.

Also, be sure to use the search function on the forums.  Chances are any question or idea you have has been asked or suggested already so it's a good idea to use it.  And btw, welcome to the forums!

• Like 3

This a topic of much discussion.

Lots of people wish to see it removed due to being able to peek around corners and over cover.

Lack of situational awareness is no longer a problem with the fov slider so yes it should be removed.

There is no excuse to keep it.

• Like 1

Im all for servers with only one option eg a  only1st person server.

But removing one fo them completely would be pretty stupid.

And in my case i never can play long in 1st because i get massive headaches from it, something i dont get when playing in 3rd person

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/157661-third-person-view-removal-from-sa-discussion/

No need for a new one again.

In the end I don't care that much if they've separate databases and if they remove it and modding comes in at some point, I'm sure someone would implement 3rd person back again.

Back when when people had an option to play on servers restricting first person only, there were only a handful active servers, while there were several thousand third person servers. While third person can work both for and against you, people overwhelmingly seem to prefer to play on third person servers for longer periods of time and whether you aim are hardcore realism or not, consensus is that DayZ is more entertaining on active servers.

So if I'm the 2nd person I'm automatically safe from removal?

• Like 1

If you look at the 1st person only servers on the mod, they are far and few compared to 3rd person servers and often with no one on.

That says more than anyone on these forums can say when arguing that the game should be 1st person only.

Rocket has said 1st person servers will come for those who want it.

We want to encourage a "hardcore" mode that will operate on a separate database, featuring things like first person only, no hide body, etc...

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156129-confirmed-upcoming-features-for-dayz/

I look forward to them myself, assuming they'll be active.

Keep em both, and LET IT DIE.

I play most first and I don't see myself at any sort of disadvantage. 

I'm pretty sure your not new to the game.

If you was 3rd person would be the last ever question u would write about on these forums.

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to this game, only been playing for about a week or two now. Love it so far, very cool to take survival to such an extreme level...

One thing I am curious about though, is why does this game include third person mode? This might seem like a ridiculous question, as everyone including myself probably plays in third person. However, if this is a true survivor game, why do we have the option to play in third person? It's not realistic, and it's a HUGE advantage over first person players (if those players even exist). Being able to see around corners, 360 degree view without turning around, etc.

Every RPG that has the option for third or first view, the better players will always play in third. I like playing in third, i just wonder why RPGs even include first person to begin with. I would love to see a RPG that showcases true immersion by forcing you to play through the eyes of your character, and thus be limited in your reaction time and visibility as you would in real life.

Thoughts?

I don't think the game will ever be '1st person only', but I don't agree with these appeals to what kind of servers most people flock to

Not to beat a dead horse but removing the 3rd would really solve more than one issue easily as that...

removing 3rd person altogether would reduce KoS an instant 50%. why? because you have to expose yourself to spot someone. ATM people just prone behind a wall, rooftop, bush or tall grass and 'periscope' 360 degrees. End that, and you end at least half of the no-contact PvP'ing. It's a crutch for the 'pure' KoS player. BTW, I do KoS anyone armed with a gun, it's survival.

Simply this. I think that the 3rd person is really not suited for a game like this. It's borderline wallhack as far as i'm concerned.
Having 3rd person also takes away a massive part of the atmosphere and enables people with zero skill, tactical ability or situational awareness to survive fights almost as easily as the most systematic, tactical veteran out there. You really cannot deploy effective area denial or force the enemy down and move while he can't see etc... 3rd person takes away so many tactical choices that i can't believe it still exists in a game like this.

Try a server with 1st person only and you'll be amazed of how ignorant most of the people can be. It's beautiful.

• Like 1

I don't agree, making it first person will be KOS even more.

Having 3rd and seeing someone can sometimes help with talking to them without being seen

Not to beat a dead horse but removing the 3rd would really solve more than one issue easily as that...

Simply this. I think that the 3rd person is really not suited for a game like this. It's borderline wallhack as far as i'm concerned.

Having 3rd person also takes away a massive part of the atmosphere and enables people with zero skill, tactical ability or situational awareness to survive fights almost as easily as the most systematic, tactical veteran out there. You really cannot deploy effective area denial or force the enemy down and move while he can't see etc... 3rd person takes away so many tactical choices that i can't believe it still exists in a game like this.

Try a server with 1st person only and you'll be amazed of how ignorant most of the people can be. It's beautiful.

I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest - didn't realize this was already a heated topic. I AM new to this game, skinup, but I am not new to RPGs trying to showcase a element of realism, and yet they all fall short by adding a unreal third person view for optimal play. The argument that more people play on servers that are third vs. first is not really an argument at all against this....it really just shows how much better third person is from first. I was never intending to say that I hate third person, but rather first seems pointless in games like this (although I wish it wasn't).

Looking forward to playing more Dayz, and maybe meeting some of you ^.^

Keep surviving!

Remove both, make this a text mud and it will be the best game ever.

• Like 1

Maybe i was wrong to quote that it would decrease the the precentage of the KOS. It prob. wouldn't do that. Instead it would definitely lessen the bodycount, the no-contact PvP'ing since most likely if you can see your enemy, your enemy can see you as it is in real life and if they won't, then they got no one to blame but themselves. =)

First is far from pointless, but it's a minority of people who play on servers restricted to it.

I use first person in combat, while looting, and when exploring buildings.

I don't think Rocket ever said DayZ is aiming for realism. I think he described it as "authentic". I'm tired of the realism card being used when it's convenient. No one wants to die from diarrhea  because they forgot to purify pond water. No one wants to get winded and forced to walk after 5km (or less) in all that gear we carry. No one wants to get blisters or chafing from all this rigorous movement and be forced to take care of it.

It seems a lot of new people are under the impression that we're aiming for the most realistic game ever or something and as far as I know Rocket never said that.

Welcome to DayZ by the way. 

Edited by Diggydug

First is far from pointless, but it's a minority of people who play on servers restricted to it.

I use first person in combat, while looting, and when exploring buildings.

I don't think Rocket ever said DayZ is aiming for realism. I think he described it as "authentic". I'm tired of the realism card being used when it's convenient. No one wants to die from diarrhea  because they forgot to purify pond water. No one wants to get winded and forced to walk after 5km (or less) in all that gear we carry. No one wants to get blisters or chafing from all this rigorous movement and be forced to take care of it.

It seems a lot of new people are under the impression that we're aiming for the most realistic game ever or something and as far as I know Rocket never said that.

Welcome to DayZ by the way.

rocket has talked about game mechanics like the ones you claim "no one wants". isn't getting sick from pond water already in the SA?

There will be 1st person only servers in future... but somewhat I am sure that regular (1st/3rd) servers will be much more popular. Exactly like in the DayZ Mod.

No one wants to die from diarrhea  because they forgot to purify pond water. No one wants to get winded and forced to walk after 5km (or less) in all that gear we carry. No one wants to get blisters or chafing from all this rigorous movement and be forced to take care of it.

These all seem like great ideas to me, put 'em in the suggestions section.

These all seem like great ideas to me, put 'em in the suggestions section.

I expected someone would say they like at least one of those, and while you may genuinely like it, as soon as it becomes a hindrance and ruins your gameplay, becoming more annoyance than anything, you will think twice.

It becomes micro-management at one point and overbearing if you try to force this to be truly realistic.