rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2

* [NEW] Aubility now dampened in rain and increased by fog

I like the rain dampening effect on sound' date=' but it's been my experience that while fog [u']?may? amplify sound ( I believe it actually dampens sound), it becomes much more difficult to determine the direction of the source at any distance. It's almost as if any possible increase in sound is more than offset by a decrease in direction. The net effect would favour stealth. Will the zombies be able to home in on the sound as accurately as they do with normal visibility?

I like the silence idea for fog, and stumbling across things coming out of the mist right in front of you.

Tent cities are back already, duping tents is easier now. Placing a tent then moving also duplicates a tent on server restart. Loot not saving properly in tents either.

So tent wipe was totally pointless last time.

It doesn't really make sense for audibility to increase in fog. I think visibility should lower with the sound the same as usual.

Edit: Just saw Rocket's explanation earlier in the thread. I suppose it makes sense that the water molecules would help carry the sound. I've never walked in heavy fog, so I've never experienced it. As long as the change makes sense, I'm down with it. I am worried how this will affect zombies, though. If they know exactly where you are in heavy fog just because of a sound, that would be a bit silly.

Well, just did a bit of reading up about sound in fog. It doesn't really absorb sound so much as it scatters the sound waves, particularly the higher pitches, which is what makes it hard to pinpoint the direction.

What do we want to do with fog folks? +/- the sound you make?

I like the idea of fog increasing the noise you make (more precisely increase the range, zombies/people can hear it). Since in a fog you have limited eyesight, and compensate with your ears....at least according to my own personal logic.

2 bars noise level should still be 2 bars of noise. But the aggro range of 2 bars noise level should increase (say 33%-50%). Same for 3 bars of noise, etc etc etc.

Another suggestion...

Add some way for survivors to join the same "Group" when they are playing. This will go a long way to make cooperating easier as well as fix a lot of cross communication happening in largely populated Teamspeak/Ventrilo servers by letting people utilize the Group VOIP chat in Arma.

Make things louder with fog. It will also give a scary feeling to us player even when the game is already intense enough we need more!

Well' date=' just did a bit of reading up about sound in fog. It doesn't really absorb sound so much as it scatters the sound waves, particularly the higher pitches, which is what makes it hard to pinpoint the direction.

[/quote']

Interesting. Not my experience but you could well be correct.

If you're going to have fog with increased audibility there's no reason why cities (in particular the larger cities: Cherno, Zeleno, Elektro, and Berzino) aren't similarly affected by the echoing effect of gun reports.

Not to be an ass but increasing sound when it's foggy is as dumb as decreasing temp when the sun is out.

Fog means increased moisture (water vapor). Water is an excellent sound insulator.

Would make no sense whatsoever.

I agree with it being harder to hear in rain. It is obviously louder with rain drops smashing the ground. Fog on the other hand does seem to be louder' date=' but I think only because whenever I se fog it is early morning and there is no one around. Not sure if sound actually increases in fog though, but I love the changes. Way to go.

[/quote']

Fog occurs in still air conditions, so no ambient noise clouding your hearing compared to a windy or wet day, hence more audibility. However, hearing more doesn't equate to being more locateable though, fog does more than cloud vision. I think zeds should hear you better but be prompted to look for you in foggy conditions, rather than head straight towards the sound source.

I say leave the sound as is in fog. I do like the idea of making other ambient sounds go, but seeing it from a realism standpoint, its a bit daft. Saying that, it is still a game and if it adds to the creepiness it would add more immersion. Which can only be a good thing.

- add a raincoat/poncho in the game so i dont have to freeze my ass off in the wilderness when its raining (and make it look wet when your wearing it in rain) think snake in msg2 intro on bridge.. looks badass

- flashlight should have shorter light distance in fog (also u should have to find battery for your flashlight after awhile)

- zombies gets disoriented when chasing u (bigger chance to get away when fog) happens sometimes mby...? they attack each other sometimes when they are chasing u in fog?

- fog on windows when fog.. write short messages on windows/glass would be nice :) disappear after awhile.. (ppl inside a buildning fog disappear on windows after a little while)

- extra cloudy/foggy around lakes in fog

-not a fog addon, but make your player able to "knock knock" on walls with animation so zombies inside buildings go out and inspect sound source.. makes it a little easier to get inside buildings when u dont have a weapon at all :)

just some small cool thouches to the game when its foggy mby..

why make sound louder in foggy condition?

I know humans ear get more sensitive when can't see well

so if you do this increase sound level in night time

- add a raincoat/poncho in the game so i dont have to freeze my ass off in the wilderness when its raining (and make it look wet when your wearing it in rain) think snake in msg2 intro on bridge.. looks badass

- flashlight should have shorter light distance in fog (also u should have to find battery for your flashlight after awhile)

- zombies gets disoriented when chasing u (bigger chance to get away when fog) happens sometimes mby...? they attack each other sometimes when they are chasing u in fog?

- fog on windows when fog.. write short messages on windows/glass would be nice :) disappear after awhile.. (ppl inside a buildning fog disappear on windows after a little while)

-not a fog addon' date=' but make your player able to "knock knock" on walls with animation so zombies inside buildings go out and inspect sound source.. makes it a little easier to get inside buildings when u dont have a weapon at all :)

[/quote']

Some good ideas there....imagine coming up to a building and seeing "help m3" scrawled in desperation in a misty window pane! :D

- Sound

I want fog to dampen (-) my sound/visibility, physics be damned!

Some good ideas there....imagine coming up to a building and seeing "help m3" scrawled in desperation in a misty window pane! :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOEWf66_zAhLoTfjU7eCVvX1-pSz9TJ_u7PJaGXLt19NX8D5tX_Q

-not a fog addon' date=' but make your player able to "knock knock" on walls with animation so zombies inside buildings go out and inspect sound source.. makes it a little easier to get inside buildings when u dont have a weapon at all :)

[/quote']

You just know if there was any kind of drawing system on the windows, they would be covered in dicks constantly

Not to be an ass but increasing sound when it's foggy is as dumb as decreasing temp when the sun is out.

Fog means increased moisture (water vapor). Water is an excellent sound insulator.

Sound travels 3x faster in water.

When it's foggy in london I can hear the church bells almost 1m away.

When it's clear, not so much.

Fog increases audibility, try it out yourself next time it's foggy :)

Loving it Rocket even tho I suffer from sever drops of preformence from patch to patch

i dont care keep on experimenting one request tho and iv seen it like a hundred times

but add mine anyway . Make it possible to clear a small section of town from zeds for a while ( 5 min +\- ) and when they do come back make them spawn some distance from the player ,

as things stand now its feels cheap and i lose all immersion when i kill 50 + zeds in a small area

for more to re-spawn almost insta on my head . And about the fog thing i find it sound in fact is heard further

in fog but its way harder to detect the sound source .

Actually sound waves travel much easier underwater than in air. Ever heard of whale songs being heard over many miles underwater?

The same applies for foggy days, sounds would be easier to detect on foggy days, so what you are saying is absolutely wrong.