rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2

By audibility do you mean the zombie's ability to detect you by sound or the actual amount of sound that you/other players are making?

That's one thing that bugs me atm: The mismatch between the two. For example, rolling while prone makes absolutely no sound to other players and yourself, but is audible to zombies. Walking, crouch walking, and crawling on the other hand, makes very little noise to zombies, but is very audible to other players.

I know that it's a lot easier to tweak code settings (like the zombie audibility) than it is to create or edit audio samples, so I'm hoping it's just something that is being put off till beta (or release) when the balance issues have been sorted out and not something that has been completely overlooked.

Loving it Rocket even tho I suffer from sever drops of preformence from patch to patch

i dont care keep on experimenting one request tho and iv seen it like a hundred times

but add mine anyway . Make it possible to clear a small section of town from zeds for a while ( 5 min +\- ) and when they do come back make them spawn some distance from the player ' date='

as things stand now its feels cheap and i lose all immersion when i kill 50 + zeds in a small area

for more to re-spawn almost insta on my head . And about the fog thing i find it sound in fact is heard further

in fog but its way harder to detect the sound source .

[/quote']

Correct me if im wrong but:

> This unreleased patch increases performance.

> Latest patch makes zeds spawn even further away from the player (by 10x).

> Latest patch introduces limited zed spawn (they wont spawn a lot at once).

Source: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=17398

What do we want to do with fog folks? +/- the sound you make?

Fog should defintely make things louder, but in saying that Zeds shouldnt then come screaming at you like a cruise missile cos they heard you from a mile away.

- add a raincoat/poncho in the game so i dont have to freeze my ass off in the wilderness when its raining (and make it look wet when your wearing it in rain) think snake in msg2 intro on bridge.. looks badass

- flashlight should have shorter light distance in fog (also u should have to find battery for your flashlight after awhile)

- zombies gets disoriented when chasing u (bigger chance to get away when fog) happens sometimes mby...? they attack each other sometimes when they are chasing u in fog?

- fog on windows when fog.. write short messages on windows/glass would be nice :) disappear after awhile.. (ppl inside a buildning fog disappear on windows after a little while)

- extra cloudy/foggy around lakes in fog

-not a fog addon' date=' but make your player able to "knock knock" on walls with animation so zombies inside buildings go out and inspect sound source.. makes it a little easier to get inside buildings when u dont have a weapon at all :)

just some small cool thouches to the game when its foggy mby..

[/quote']

Some good ideas there....imagine coming up to a building and seeing "help m3" scrawled in desperation in a misty window pane! :D

You just know if there was any kind of drawing system on the windows, they would be covered in dicks constantly

hehe yeah i agree with that^^ thats why they would have to mby just implent som lines u chould choose from.. imagine like darksouls on the ground.. could start with a few then add some more..

Could also work with radios in the game.. u find a radio in a house and u could talk in only a short message 10 sec mby..(with a radio effect that makes it hard to hear, like a bad radio channel) and u could switch channels, this could make small stories on its own in the game..

but at the same time it could end upp 12 year olds just trolling on the radio :)

I thought fog deadened sound... hmm...

By audibility do you mean the zombie's ability to detect you by sound or the actual amount of sound that you/other players are making?

That's one thing that bugs me atm: The mismatch between the two. For example' date=' rolling while prone makes absolutely no sound to other players and yourself, but is audible to zombies. Walking, crouch walking, and crawling on the other hand, makes very little noise to zombies, but is very audible to other players.

I know that it's a lot easier to tweak code settings (like the zombie audibility) than it is to create or edit audio samples, so I'm hoping it's just something that is being put off till beta (or release) when the balance issues have been sorted out and not something that has been completely overlooked.

[/quote']

While you can hear more in the fog it doesnt necesarily mean you can tell where those sounds are coming from. Zeds shouldnt zero in on you because you stepped on a twig

Ever got up near dawn and listened, especially on a misty, cool, early spring morning? You can hear a lot more than you would on a windy day, or a wet one. Like has already been said though, In fog you might be more aware of the whole soundscape locally, but not be able to pinpoint specific sources of sounds.

I think the general consensus is that zeds are a little too super-sensitive, and hyper-reactive, andneed to be "naturalised" a lot more, but not necessarily less dangerous.

Fog = + to sound but - to visibility?

Regarding sound.

Rocket if you are into technical stuff, see this:

http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/Demos/refract/refract.html

Sound travels better at night.

Also: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_sound_carry_better_in_the_fog

By the way, sound may travel better into fog (or not?) but that does not mean it actually sounds better.

I think it looses fidelity and sharpness.

Sure you're aware of this but IMO 1.7.1.5 is borked because Zed's come through closed doors, break bones with one hit and there is no morphine....so aggroing zeds basically = respawn.

Neutral. I know that scientifically it makes sound travel greater, but in reality it's not much more noticeable. If anything, bump it up by ~10% or so, but that's about it.

I hope that any fog dense enough to increase sound transmission would significantly reduce visual identification of players/zeds as well.

So can we get a lootable 'old' bandit skin in this patch?

Also maybe some scoped AK-74 and normal(not masked) Dragunov?

looks like we need some more hack fixes in the next update. this appears to be a kill server? happened at approximately 16:10 cst

Is there any chance that something can be done about the Debug Forest its self?

* Move it to an impossible location to reach like in the ocean?

* Give Debug Forest "God Mode" (as long as it don't cause your actual player to have it)?

**Create a Trigger in the Debug Forest area that if you fire it will kill you or your shot is stopped at the end of your barrel (include this for m203 and frags) - Reference the Domination spawn protection.

This is the biggest issue we have currently with DayZ as every time we go on server and start do do Ops or move vehicles, there is someone in the debug forest killing us. The current changes being made for the Debug Forest are good, but will still not prevent players from going there to kill the server.

And on a side note think also what it must be like for noobs' date=' yes i know its alpha ffs look at the bigger picture, if this was a game right now it would fail the learning curve is too high for noobs.

Ive been playing about 3 weeks now or so and this is the first time i really cant be bothered to play. so plz do something to make this great again..

[/quote']

So you're saying that if this mod doesn't get a more quick learning curve people will just end up leaving? Let's look at an example, which inspite of not being the same game genre, has a very steep learning curve: DotA. Estimated over 20 million player database. Your argument is invalid.

Best regards.

Fog impact is about gameplay (read simulation) concept.

1) zeds being aggro'd from distance and charging from range out of the fog right at you = scary, suspenseful, interesting, and to some.. unfair / unbalanced. They go off blood and scent. Some evidence that sound travels better in fog, but whatever.

2) zeds being lost, dumb stumps due to fog means sneaky kills and an advantage to hiding / stealth. They go off vision.

Can we get the best of all worlds? have some zeds trigger off sound, some from eyeline, some from scent of the living?

So those that trigger off sound end up going off into the wilderness, exploring the twig snaps (and susceptible to thrown cans, etc).

The eyeline ones raytrace after survivors.

The scent ones are really tough, you get in their trigger zone, they don't give up until you really shake them, or cover yourself in evil zed gooo.

I'd like to see something done about the hatchet; I can only assume the crowbar is the same, but I have never used one. It is way too strong. When I find one I play as recklessly as possible, knowing I can kill pretty much anything I aggro. I spawned east of Elektro and found one right away, and ran straight through town to get to my friends in Cherno, by the time I got to them I had 30 kills, 9000 blood and had only used one bandage. I was thinking, maybe take the hatchet and turn it into a thrown weapon? Making it so that I don't have 10000 swings with it, and if I miss im fucked. Right now the only real reason to have a gun is in the event of other players.

Fog impact is about gameplay (read simulation) concept.

1) zeds being aggro'd from distance and charging from range out of the fog right at you = scary' date=' suspenseful, interesting, and to some.. unfair / unbalanced. They go off blood and scent. Some evidence that sound travels better in fog, but whatever.

2) zeds being lost, dumb stumps due to fog means sneaky kills and an advantage to hiding / stealth. They go off vision.

Can we get the best of all worlds? have some zeds trigger off sound, some from eyeline, some from scent of the living?

So those that trigger off sound end up going off into the wilderness, exploring the twig snaps (and susceptible to thrown cans, etc).

The eyeline ones raytrace after survivors.

The scent ones are really tough, you get in their trigger zone, they don't give up until you really shake them, or cover yourself in evil zed gooo.

[/quote']

id be happy with scent ones if there was a little arrow added to the top of the screen displaying wind direction, and we could be downwind of them to avoid them

Awesome update Rocket!

So after not wanting to upgrade from 1.7.0 I figured we would do it...everything is Awesome...just Awesome.. But Zombies are way to fucking strong.

I got hit once' date=' -2000 blood loss , Knocked the fuck out, with broken legs and a concussion... Even Anderson Silva or 23 old Mike Tyson couldn't hit that hard.. its ridiculous.. zombies are weaker then humans by far please tone it down.. its unrealistic.

[/quote']

lmfao

Awesome update Rocket!

So after not wanting to upgrade from 1.7.0 I figured we would do it...everything is Awesome...just Awesome.. But Zombies are way to fucking strong.

I got hit once' date=' -2000 blood loss , Knocked the fuck out, with broken legs and a concussion... Even Anderson Silva or 23 old Mike Tyson couldn't hit that hard.. its ridiculous.. zombies are weaker then humans by far please tone it down.. its unrealistic.

[/quote']

lmfao

Im not a huge fan of how easy it is for the zombie's to finger swipe me and snap a limb or cut me wide open. I dont mind the hp loss but ive had a zombie hit me once and cause bleeding, knock me under, or break a bone which is far too frequent. I still think they should be able to do that kind of dmg but I think it's currently too frequent.

Not to be an ass but increasing sound when it's foggy is as dumb as decreasing temp when the sun is out.

Fog means increased moisture (water vapor). Water is an excellent sound insulator.

Would make no sense whatsoever.

Sound travels 3x faster in water.

When it's foggy in london I can hear the church bells almost 1m away.

When it's clear' date=' not so much.

Fog increases audibility, try it out yourself next time it's foggy :)

[/quote']

Ya I was actually surprised after looking into it. Still though, increased speed/distance does not = increased volume which is what I thought he was talking about.

Hey rocket, not sure if you caught my previous post, it got buried fairly quickly, but could you move the visibility and audibility icons so that they're not obscured by the debug monitor?

Thanks man!

Hey rocket' date=' not sure if you caught my previous post, it got buried fairly quickly, but could you move the visibility and audibility icons so that they're not obscured by the debug monitor?

Thanks man!

[/quote']

Have you ever watched any Youtube vids or seen screenshots of other ppls icon placement ?

You would know it doesnt affect everyone.

The situation is a pebkac one or a ID-10T error ....

Goto options , video options , advanced , interface size.

Try the different sizes.

Regarding sound.

Rocket if you are into technical stuff' date=' see this:

http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/Demos/refract/refract.html

Sound travels better at night.

Also: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_sound_carry_better_in_the_fog

By the way, sound may travel better into fog (or not?) but that does not mean it actually sounds better.

I think it looses fidelity and sharpness.

[/quote']

I'm glad I read this before I made a stupid post! :D

Thanks!

May i suggest disabling the random stick breaking and chain link fence hit noises' date=' they alert you to nothing because nothing has caused it.

[/quote']

From what i have observed the chain link fence noise, or gate closing/opening noise is an indication of zeds spawning.

The breaking stick in forest i know of no purpose except for keeping you on edge.