alleycat

The game needs nametags

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/721993905112026251/57572733F565E3DB76F1D04BFD8C8B51BBE4F820/

The game needs name tags.

So that players can tell who they are talking to. It should show another player's name within 10m if you aim at the face, and if you are within 50m, depending on range, the name would appear garbled.

(the above screenshot shows an example I coded for when I want to ID players in my TVT games in arma3)

Like so

within 10m

Jimmy

He looks tired (vague status indicators too)

within 50m

J**m**

The name tag should also depend on condtions, like shorter range during night time, longer range if you look through a scope, and it should be blocked by players behind soft cover (bushes) and face covering items can mask it.

It is absolutely necessary to be able to identify players you are interacting with so that not shooting on sighti s even possible and making friends becomes possible. For example if you are having social interacting with a player, that same player could run into you an hour later in balota and shoot you on sight because he has no way of telling who you are.

GEEKTALK

Code example of the above screenshot (this wont work if you simply copy and paste because it still needs define entries)

if (isPlayer _caller) then {disableSerialization; 11000 cutRsc ["Cobra_NameTag", "PLAIN"];_display = uiNamespace getVariable "Cobra_NameTag_display";_ctrl_lol 					= _display displayCtrl 1040;_ctrl_callsign				= _display displayCtrl 1041;	while {!isNull _display} do //Loop as long as the resource is shown	{			_ent = cursortarget;			//If alive, man, friendly			if ((alive cursorTarget) && (cursorTarget isKindOf "Man") && (side _caller == side cursorTarget)) then		//isPlayer needed to prevent no unit error			{				if ((cursorTarget distance _caller) < 40) then				{					_ctrl_lol 				ctrlSetFont 		"PuristaLight";									_ctrl_lol 				ctrlSetText 		format["%2 %1", name cursorTarget, rank cursorTarget];						_ctrl_callsign 			ctrlSetFontHeight 0.06;					_ctrl_callsign 			ctrlSetFont 		"PuristaMedium";					_ctrl_callsign 			ctrlSetText 		format["%1", _ent getvariable "callsign"];					};					};									//If it is not man			if !(cursorTarget isKindOf "Man") then		//isPlayer needed to prevent no unit error			{				_ctrl_lol ctrlSetText 	format["%1", ""];				_ctrl_callsign ctrlSetText 	format["%1", ""];					};				sleep 0.1;	};  };

The immersion fundamentalists (In real life you dont have....) should just stay away, because it is immersive to recognize a face in real life and ingame you need FAT COLORED text on YOUR SCREEN (gasp!) for it to work.

Edited by alleycat
  • Like 6

Please God no.....Nameplates in the Mod were a complete joke

You merely aimed your cursor along a treeline until a name popped up and then you fired.

Perhaps if you are within 5m of someone and directly looking at their face....

• Like 24

need some friends  nameplates, not hostile , not until they are cold as dead  ^^

• Like 1

I was thinking, not a friends system, but like a tagging system both please need to accept into. Like, you can remember their face, and it gives you a little chat indicator. "Oh, it's just Jimmy" when you get close suddenly. 

No thanks. I avoided nameplate servers like the plague for a reason (and the few times I did play them ranked pretty highly on my list of absurd/stupid DayZ experiences).

No Nameplates Ever.

*mouseover treeline scrollwheeling waiting for a range indicator. Name pops up. Zero to range.* BANG!

*body drops.*

*Mouseover treeline........*

• Like 2

I'd rather see it go the other way and not even show the player list. Just show the number of players online.

Names are something you should have to ask for. There's already enough customization to recognize people. I'd rather they add a face editor than tarnish the clean HUD dayz is going for with text names.

You merely aimed your cursor along a treeline until a name popped up and then you fired.

there were better nameplate mods, that wouldn't let you see through stuff, nor let you ID people that were i think more than 3 meters away. something like that we could use.

Or atleast ID friends.

I agree with the please no nametag statement. This is DayZ, and DayZ is though and minimalistic on the UI front.

And yeah... I can see it easily abused, like stated in a post by Zogvarn.

Edited by Grumpy Monkey

Agreed! At least when there are no names at a distance there is mystery. I hate knowing names and like to track people down via voice and chat.

We have different clothes we can wear now. I recognize my friends when I see them even with the small amount of attire we've got going on currently. I much prefer that over having to rely on nameplays.

• Like 3

be level headed with this chaps,

Names plates do come in to use, and they should be applied up to like 25m and should be toggable by individual players so if you disable it, you won't see name plates and other people cannot see yours. 

As said beforw, the nametags in the mod were a joke showing not only someones position but evenn range on some servers.

Whay i would like to see is some kind of a buddy system so you could add some random guy you met and didn't catch his name before you died or something, but would love to play with him again.

I've met so much people on this game but then something happened and we lost eachother because using voice chat doesn't display the name.

Edited by Tegla

I count 5 plus comments saying "No"

Thanks for the idea it's much appreciated i just think it's not suitable for Dayz :/

be level headed with this chaps,

Names plates do come in to use, and they should be applied up to like 25m and should be toggable by individual players so if you disable it, you won't see name plates and other people cannot see yours. 

Yeah but we've gotten by just fine without them in the mod. Why would we suddenly need them? You get used to actually seeing what people have better when you're not reading a name everytime you see someone.

If you want their ingane name, have them type a message in direct.

What the other guy said. Only if it was like 5M. that could actually work.

I hope there won't come nametags. Though would be interesting, if some kind of "mouth" on a personage face would move, if he speak on in-game chat. I mean, a little more visible.

Edited by gregor

I'm IDing people I'm running with or have met by their clothing and gear.

I don't see a need for nametags.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/721993905112026251/57572733F565E3DB76F1D04BFD8C8B51BBE4F820/

The game needs name tags.

So that players can tell who they are talking to. It should show another player's name within 10m if you aim at the face, and if you are within 50m, depending on range, the name would appear garbled.

(the above screenshot shows an example I coded for when I want to ID players in my TVT games in arma3)

Like so

within 10m

Jimmy

He looks tired (vague status indicators too)

within 50m

J**m**

The name tag should also depend on condtions, like shorter range during night time, longer range if you look through a scope, and it should be blocked by players behind soft cover (bushes) and face covering items can mask it.

It is absolutely necessary to be able to identify players you are interacting with so that not shooting on sighti s even possible and making friends becomes possible. For example if you are having social interacting with a player, that same player could run into you an hour later in balota and shoot you on sight because he has no way of telling who you are.

GEEKTALK

Code example of the above screenshot (this wont work if you simply copy and paste because it still needs define entries)

if (isPlayer _caller) then {disableSerialization; 11000 cutRsc ["Cobra_NameTag", "PLAIN"];_display = uiNamespace getVariable "Cobra_NameTag_display";_ctrl_lol 					= _display displayCtrl 1040;_ctrl_callsign				= _display displayCtrl 1041;	while {!isNull _display} do //Loop as long as the resource is shown	{			_ent = cursortarget;			//If alive, man, friendly			if ((alive cursorTarget) && (cursorTarget isKindOf "Man") && (side _caller == side cursorTarget)) then		//isPlayer needed to prevent no unit error			{				if ((cursorTarget distance _caller) < 40) then				{					_ctrl_lol 				ctrlSetFont 		"PuristaLight";									_ctrl_lol 				ctrlSetText 		format["%2 %1", name cursorTarget, rank cursorTarget];						_ctrl_callsign 			ctrlSetFontHeight 0.06;					_ctrl_callsign 			ctrlSetFont 		"PuristaMedium";					_ctrl_callsign 			ctrlSetText 		format["%1", _ent getvariable "callsign"];					};					};									//If it is not man			if !(cursorTarget isKindOf "Man") then		//isPlayer needed to prevent no unit error			{				_ctrl_lol ctrlSetText 	format["%1", ""];				_ctrl_callsign ctrlSetText 	format["%1", ""];					};				sleep 0.1;	};  };

The immersion fundamentalists (In real life you dont have....) should just stay away, because it is immersive to recognize a face in real life and ingame you need FAT COLORED text on YOUR SCREEN (gasp!) for it to work.

This code is junk... and so is the idea.

Not sure a lot of you actually read the OP and have just jumped on the no tags, no way, not ever wagon.

Sure, tags when you are sitting in a tree line scanning the horizon is a bad idea, im pretty sure everyone would agree with this but standing right next to a group of people and not knowing who is who is a pain in the arse.

Even if there was a buddy system as mentioned it would work and perhaps an option to turn it off.

Or better yet, tags dont work if you are wearing a gas mask, balaclava or other type of mask and you can only see your buddies name if you can see his face.

In realism terms you wouldnt know joe bloggs because you havnt met him yet, your friends however you would know their name, their size and could regonise them within 10meters, maybe 2 meters at night.

To me thats a better more realistic system than what is currently in place.