alleycat

The game needs nametags

Do you know this guy here?: 

He points out what we all think about nametags :)

Or, you know, here is a more simple idea.

WORK ON YOUR TEAM COMMUNICATION SKILL'S!

With proper communication among teammates, there is no need to add name tags.

• Like 1

Teammates? Teammates dont matter shit, the game has to work even if you play it with complete strangers. So stacking up with your teammates on teamspeak and saying "hey kill on sight is not so bad" is like John McCain visiting iraq while being protected by 100 soldiers saying the situation is not so bad.

Besides, I proved in my first post that nametags can be added and be reasonable, like, in the corner of the screen, with faded text, and only showing if you are close to someone.

"Nametags" on top of the player's head or in the bottom of the screen or wherever don't really fit with a game like this the way I see it.

Now what I wouldn't mind seeing is a personal message (not server wide) that would appear and tell you who you were killed by when you die: "You were killed by xxxxx"

yes to kill messages. so who killed who and such. nametags are useful make it server side option.

The only way i see this working is actually if the name only shows at 5m or less and only if they are waving their hand .. i.e. saying hello ... and their name like you kinda would in real life possibly.

You should only know what your character would be able to know. So no kill messages, but nametags on short distance ( maybe inside 25 m) if your characters have met and introduced themselves. Otherwise there's no tag or maybe "unknown". This could represent the capability of recognizing people which is works pretty well in real life but is barely possible with the limited character models in the game yet.

Id rather no name tags but more options to make yourself identifible..

Obviously more faces etc but also the option to wrap an arm band or any option that could make the character distinctive shirts with logos the only problem i have now is we all start basicly looking the same specially when you talk late game..

I just think if you want to be realistic in a tense fire fight situation a name tag is kinda well to obvious you could mistake a friend in the heat of the moment.

The more options for changing how characer looks will lessen the chance. Friendly fire happens its a sad thing good communication will stamp it out mostly lol.

If we are talking seeing someone from a distance then well depending on distance you might not really see his face to recognise him/her but wearing say a black and white check armband for that characters life will allow people to remember etc etc

• Like 1

Getting nametags is as easy as asking that person in direct chat.

No.

Q: “Anything done to increase disorientation? like confirming kills etc”

A: “Absolutely, with kill messages and most of the UI removed as well as other text and sound feedback”

I think a feature that puts some sort of indicator for someone who is a buddy or something but I don't see a point of having strangers names and status show

I agree here ^

Why do you need to see a strangers name, to get revenge? I want to distinguish allies, but once more physical feaures and apparel/equipment is added, the names theoretically wont be necessary because you ougt to know your own guys.

Equally... I can see an advantage of name tags although I would only consider the idea if they are in very close proximity.

no tactic wallhack magic eyes guys have 3rd person :|

anti navigate bitches getting soon maybe gps :(

fear of dark babys have gamma exploit and maybe one day NVG (I hope never) :(

now mr 'I cant remember if tony was wear red helmet' idiots wanting name tag immersion break extra wallhack pussy name tag bullshit? :o

why BIS don't just buy hack maker company and include free with game :huh:

Edited by KoS
  • Like 1

I agree here ^

Why do you need to see a strangers name, to get revenge? I want to distinguish allies, but once more physical feaures and apparel/equipment is added, the names theoretically wont be necessary because you ougt to know your own guys.

Equally... I can see an advantage of name tags although I would only consider the idea if they are in very close proximity.

ok you dummies let me explain this again.

The human brain is great at recognizing faces. You will be able to recognize someone you talked to a few years earlier out of millions of different faces.

And identifying a human face is possible without that person giving you permission, so if the name tag should be hidden, a face covering item should be required.

It is technically not possible to add enough equipment variations or face generation features that can simulate real life as far as recognizing unique faces goes. There fore the only unique identifier we have is either STEAM ID or name. Thats it. We get name tags or there will never be meaningful player interaction, because why carebear if that same person you helped 20 mins ago can simply run around a corner, change clothes and shoot you without you ever knowing who it was.

This game 100% does not need nametags.  I think it's funny when someone creates a thread about what the game "needs" as if they somehow speak for everyone else.  So no, the game does not need name tags.

These forums need less "This game needs X" threads.  See what I just did there?

ok you dummies let me explain this again.

The human brain is great at recognizing faces. You will be able to recognize someone you talked to a few years earlier out of millions of different faces.

And identifying a human face is possible without that person giving you permission, so if the name tag should be hidden, a face covering item should be required.

It is technically not possible to add enough equipment variations or face generation features that can simulate real life as far as recognizing unique faces goes. There fore the only unique identifier we have is either STEAM ID or name. Thats it. We get name tags or there will never be meaningful player interaction, because why carebear if that same person you helped 20 mins ago can simply run around a corner, change clothes and shoot you without you ever knowing who it was.

Ok dummy, let me explain this to you.  If you want to know who someone is, ask them or they may even tell you on their own.  If they don't want to be noticed or stay hidden, you should not be able to aim around a tree line and find someone hiding because their name tag pops up.

They're so easily exploitable it's not even funny.  So no, dummy, name tags are not needed.

Also, is your day not complete without making a complain / "DayZ needs _____" thread?  Every whiny "DayZ NEEEEEDS THIS NAOOO" thread is made by you.  And you get aggressive almost immediately in all of them when people disagree.

Edited by Mdogg2005

Ok dummy, let me explain this to you.  If you want to know who someone is, ask them or they may even tell you on their own.  If they don't want to be noticed or stay hidden, you should not be able to aim around a tree line and find someone hiding because their name tag pops up.

They're so easily exploitable it's not even funny.  So no, dummy, name tags are not needed.

Also, is your day not complete without making a complain / "DayZ needs _____" thread?  Every whiny "DayZ NEEEEEDS THIS NAOOO" thread is made by you.  And you get aggressive almost immediately in all of them when people disagree.

Read my nametag specifications in the first post then come back and apologize for what you wrote

Edited by alleycat

For the love of god _ PLEASE NO nametags no bullshit. No Party system aswell. Go play Nether of Infestation if you want that shit.

• Like 1

For the love of god _ PLEASE NO nametags no bullshit. No Party system aswell. Go play Nether of Infestation if you want that shit.

Agreed.  I'm baffled with the amount of threads that pop up every day saying how DayZ NEEDS (feature) or ADD (feature) FROM (other similar game).  If you don't like DayZ being so challenging and hardcore, play another game.  It's simple.  Stop trying to dumb it down because you can't manage with the game being so hard.