And make slow silent moves,
Then my chances for life
Will slightly improve?
Now what's that rule?
Play it cool.

Edited by dystopeon
  • Like 1

Adapt or die. That's how I see this.

Yep. The zombie apocalypse is a very Darwinian world. You want to survive you need to have what it takes, if you don't you're dead.

Thankfully its just a game so you can respawn after you die and learn from your mistakes, get better and eventually not die so often. New players just need to go through the process we all went through with the mod, when I started on the mod I couldn't aim a gun or even have a chance to spot players before they killed me. I wasn't with the mod from the start so the servers I joined were full of veterans. I just got on with it and learned how to play.... I'm still not that great, but putting the hours and thinking about what you're doing in game in really helps

OP, that will never work. 

If you want to make your move,

you got to play it...cool.

Now what you gotta do

If you wanna survive

Is act real smooth

And make your movements shrewd.

So if I take your advice

And make slow silent moves,

Then my chances for life

Will slightly improve?

Now what's that rule?

Play it cool.

i only know that in german but that should be from grampa talking to homer :D

and to topic : who cares about noobs? if there are more - good, its target practice and you can get easy loot  if all the noobs cry and leave - even better, finally good circumstances to play this game the way its meant to be!

Noobs stay in the south, vets fight up in the north! Hooza!

• Like 1

Hard for lone wolves? This is my gear right here... by the way, survived for like 7 hours on a fully populated server so you are literally talking out of your sphincter...

Eqf8HVU.jpg?1

Also, this sort of game thrives on whittling out the casuals. Why would they cater for the masses when that compromises very key components of the game? You are so fucking self absorbed to make this post which is essentially saying ''I find the game hard so you must make it easier for me!''. 

Bore off and play another game man.

Did you make this topic on the sole basis of frustrating me? 'cause it fucking worked...

Calm down there high speed, and don't get your Jelly Tots in a knot. What we're saying is for the new community this game is a hard AF learning curve. It chews you up and shits out the bones. GOOD FOR YOU! You are, in a sense (if you're not lying, which I doubt you are) a good player at lone wolfing it. You either are just like me and take things slowly or you are the luckiest player out there. People want servers populated so the game will need to take a tone down for people to learn or some noob friendly servers. The game and forums don't revolve around you also, so get off your high horse like this was meant to "just piss you off". It pissed you off. Ok cool, however you can voice your frustrations in a way that doesn't make you sound like an angry child. He WASN'T saying he wants it easier for him. He wants, just like many of us, to see new players get the hang of it in less than 5 days of playing.

It was made very clear since day one that this game would not cater to every gamer's needs. The game is not meant for everyone. There will be new guys who go from coastal cannon fodder to wasteland warriors and there will be new guys who simply give up. Its actually a perfect balance in a survival world IMO.

Also it doesnt hurt to have friends. There are tons of DayZ communities out there and people are always looking for someone to play with. If you want the game to become 'easier' work within a group.

• Like 2

What a healthy discussion!   I'm glad the vets are innocent, I am one.  And I can fly a heli pretty well.

However, the first time I flew one lasted some 35 seconds before I crashed.  Given their rarity at the time it was very thrilling but a bit disappointing too.  Also, the ArmaII Boot Camp allowed me to understand more of the controls instead of the SA's menu system.

I did not intend a flame war, instead I wanted to give feedback on the alpha.  I think we're supposed to do that.  I even voted on some bugs (but have not filed one yet).

One misunderstanding some people had was that I was complaining that the game is too hard for me.  I'm not talking about me.  I'm talking about newcomers, and I want a lot of newbs, tons and tons and tons, so the game is a financial success.   If it is, DayzII or DayzWithStoryline or whatever can come next.

>balota empty

>run to NWAF

there's actually a number of new military facilities. there's really nothing special about NWAF now since there's barracks all over. although it's still a popular location since people are used to going there

First impression of SA:

You'd better be adept at the ArmA II mod of DayZ or you will have a bad time.

Loot tables are awful.  Very difficult to find squat.

Lone wolf (aka new players) is nigh impossible.

Zombies move through buildings great, floors matter not.

Your best bet is a motorcycle helmet and a backpack.

After that, you are a target.

Contrast that with DayZ Epoch:

I have tents filled with swag.  TV guns (b&w bio scope, so cool)

Helis, and the admins added streetlights for night time.

I bought the SA and have had motorcycle helmets and map fragments, a chest holster and cans of food, but it is hard as heck staying fed and watered, not to mention the veterans with rifles that will kill you after spending a crazy amount of time acquiring a back pack and helmet, and you never saw a rifle or handgun.

I'd like to make this crystal clear:

Veterans are harming newcomers to the game, veterans are too good at it, and newbies will be discouraged.

Explosions of kudos if this is what you wanted, a narrow niche game for early adopters that guaranteed a narrow following.  A rain of Hell's firy boulders if you wanted newbies to yearn some fun but instead be schooled at every spawn.

Not withstanding that I knowingly bought the alpha, but as a veteran, the game really hates newcomers.

"You are unconscious" says my monitor.  This realistic put-off is pushing me to a game I can play.

Please, please, never forget, this is a game.  Frustrating players right away is not going to work.

1. Open steam

2. Go to library

3. Uninstall DayZ

4. Turn off computer

While I agree with most that complaining about not having played the game before and that those that have will be better, I think the main issue is the shoot on sight mentality that nearly all vets have. They have played the mod and its spin offs and that is all they are about shoot first before they shoot you.  

But in this version it should be more about surviving and testing the game which is nigh on impossible when as soon as some people get a gun they think the point then is to shoot anything that they see. This includes fresh spawns that have no weapons at all, anyone they meet that they think could be a threat, or just anything that moves as that is the mentality of most players. I think the steps Rocket has taken to prevent the shoot first loot after doesn't go far enough to discourage this sort of behavior. Most people who are shooting have all the gear they need so care nothing for damaging any loot they may get of a player.  This was obvious from watching people play the mod as it got to the point where very few even bothered to loot corpses just shot and moved on.  

A humanity system does not seem the way forward without significant penalties for the bandits types as they wear their banditry as a badge of pride.  Mods like Overwatch and Breaking point turned what is supposed to be a survival horror game into a new variation of cod/bf where pvp is the main if not only focus.  That said there is no point to survival in this game other than to gear up and kill other players and herein lies the fundamental issue with the concept of survival horror on a multi-player platform. It does not work as it is intended. There is no other end game but to shoot people and therefore becomes a game of survive the players not the zombies.

As a zombie survival game I think this game is limited, however it has much potential as a multi-player pvp game with a zombie flavouring. I know the number of zombies is turned down at the moment for testing and load performance but unless they add hundreds more for each town I don't think it will make that much difference.  The zombies need to be much more of a threat than the players to make it a multi-player survival game where it makes sense to team up with people to defend yourselves from the hoards. That is the game I would like to play...

Imagine meeting a player who says 'hey over here take this gun and food, now help us protect this building from the next wave of zombies'  Ensue massive shoot out with zombie hoard just about surviving after running out of ammo and finishing the last few off with axes, bats, chainsaws, shovels.  'Phew now we need to find some more ammo and food before we meet the next hoard'

Guys, check your rage for just a second. The OP brings up a few valid suggestions and points. Though does seem a bit off about the "veterans ruining everything" stuff. Even if the sheer volume of angry and generally unproductive responses in this thread might lead one to that conclusion.

------------------------

Problem 1: No way for people unfamiliar with the control scheme to understand how to play without reading going to a menu within a menu within a menu and reading a set of spread sheets designed as menus.

Answer 1: Develop a small tutorial level "like the ones in arma" to help describe basic movement and interaction controls.

Comments 1: Sounds pretty good to me. Don't know why people are bitching over this like they got their epeen stuck in a vice.

Problem 2: Many game mechanics are currently hidden from view if you don't already, understand the game/developed it yourself/google searched your ass off, you will spend a long time just scratching ur head like a dumbass. Until you go search the forums or the reddit or the google.

Answer 2: Same short tutorial idea. Where it explains some of the mechanics like scavenging and hunger thirsty blood and sickness.

Comments 2: You have no right to gripe about this one after what happened with the hunger and thirst alerts at launch. It's much better game design for people to learn the basics of the mechanics in the game and not on some reddit post where you finally figure out that you have been spawning at around 30% thirsty and hunger levels.

----------------------------------------

Additional comments on no-pvp "servers", noob friendly servers, and custom servers (24/7 daylight ect.):

So, as long as the characters aren't shared between these servers and the regular ones you guys who are angry about them are playing on, why would you be mad about their existence? Are you that sadistic? OH NO PEOPLE HAVING FUN WHILE PLAYING SOMETHING EASIER THAN I AM?! WHAT A CANCER!

Like really, if that's the case. We should just outlaw all other games in the universe besides DayZ. Or better yet outlaw DayZ too and everyone can only play Multidimensional Mathematician F16 Pilot Simulator 2014.

Multidimensional Mathematician F16 Pilot Simulator 2014 OMG is that out? I've been waiting for a long time for that title:) awesome!

1. Open steam

2. Go to library

3. Uninstall DayZ

4. Turn off computer

Good for you. Now go away

What a healthy discussion!   I'm glad the vets are innocent, I am one.  And I can fly a heli pretty well.

However, the first time I flew one lasted some 35 seconds before I crashed.  Given their rarity at the time it was very thrilling but a bit disappointing too.  Also, the ArmaII Boot Camp allowed me to understand more of the controls instead of the SA's menu system.

I did not intend a flame war, instead I wanted to give feedback on the alpha.  I think we're supposed to do that.  I even voted on some bugs (but have not filed one yet).

One misunderstanding some people had was that I was complaining that the game is too hard for me.  I'm not talking about me.  I'm talking about newcomers, and I want a lot of newbs, tons and tons and tons, so the game is a financial success.   If it is, DayzII or DayzWithStoryline or whatever can come next.

Then my suggestion to new players would be to download the free mod and play it (most servers are empty or low pop now) and  they can learn the mechanics and controls. When they feel comfortable enough with the map and how the game works they can transition over to the SA that they purchased. While its not as easy as a menu option it is pretty easy to install these days.

I am a veteran.

What happens now?

You can't play man this game is only for the people who never gave the mod a chance and waited for the standalone so never participated in making all the features and testing everything all along and coming up with new ideas and even making those new ideas in other mods which made their way into the main mod and now the standalone and actually know the game and how it should work so know what the bugs are. Nope this alpha test isn't for us this is for the noobs only.

I think it even says so right on the Steam page.

Edited by Weedz

I'm gonna find you buddy, and give you such a baseball bat beating, then I'm gonna steal your shirt pants and shoes, you need new players in this game moron

Please read what i actually wrote. Vets gtfo the beach... Most people still on the beach killing new players are just correctly new players. So analtard motherless childmolestic fuck to you to (you started the name calling bitchbag)

Then my suggestion to new players would be to download the free mod and play it (most servers are empty or low pop now) and  they can learn the mechanics and controls. When they feel comfortable enough with the map and how the game works they can transition over to the SA that they purchased. While its not as easy as a menu option it is pretty easy to install these days.

So your suggesting that instead of planning to add a small controls and mechanics tutorial somewhere down the line, new players just to have new players buy a different game? I think the tutorial idea is much more respectful to the consumer. 

Edited by MaxStokes

Sorry for you bro. I myself have never played the mod, started with the standalone. Have 15 hours of playtime on 1 char. I have a fully modded M4(flashlight, silencer, acog, cqb stock), with 2 40 round and 2 30 round magazines with 4 more mags worth of ammo in my backpack, FN pistol with a red dot with 4 full mags and 3 more worth of ammo in my inventory, military helmet, combat boots, gas mask, tactical vest in pristine condition, 2 plastic water bottles and 2 canteens. Food is easily available everywhere so i rarely keep more than 3 cans on me. I also have some vitamins, some charcoal, 1 saline IV, some antibiotics a ton of bandages, a defibrillator(though i have no idea how it works and why i keep it as im still lonewolfing it), Mosin sniper scope(incase I find a mosin and decide i want a sniper rifle) and 60 7.62 rounds. So yeah I dont know what youre talking about.

Oh and ive outlived 3 unlucky bandits that decide they can take me(1 at a time though, im not that badass xD)

Edited by overdosed

When i first played this game it took me about a week to learn the controls fully, and then about another 2 weeks to get my first kill. I must have died a thousand times in between but continued slogging it out because there is no other game that i've played can make your heart pound so much every time you see a player or get shot at.

I Don't kill unless i feel threatened and even go out of my way to help fellow survivors who seem to be having a bad time. We aren't all bad dude although i agree there are lots who are assholes and would kill you at the drop of a hat.

Just keep going and eventually you'll get there. Much to learn you have young survior

Edited by Geordie

I agreed with you when I first switched to SA.  But after playing a day or two and dying multiple times, I get better each time.  Once you know where to look for food/water you should have no problem staying fed, if you are just looking around the coast and not venturing north after failing a few times you're just retarded.

fully modded M4(flashlight, silencer, acog, cqb stock), 

I haven't figured out how to attach the flashlight to the m4, can you enlighten me? I've tried dragging it to the magpul stock, the weapon, etc. Can't find anywhere where I can attach it.

I thought the cruel and unforgiving gameplay was the main attraction in dayz?