Phineas

Too many veterans

First impression of SA:

You'd better be adept at the ArmA II mod of DayZ or you will have a bad time.

Loot tables are awful.  Very difficult to find squat.

Lone wolf (aka new players) is nigh impossible.

Zombies move through buildings great, floors matter not.

Your best bet is a motorcycle helmet and a backpack.

After that, you are a target.

Contrast that with DayZ Epoch:

I have tents filled with swag.  TV guns (b&w bio scope, so cool)

Helis, and the admins added streetlights for night time.

I bought the SA and have had motorcycle helmets and map fragments, a chest holster and cans of food, but it is hard as heck staying fed and watered, not to mention the veterans with rifles that will kill you after spending a crazy amount of time acquiring a back pack and helmet, and you never saw a rifle or handgun.

I'd like to make this crystal clear:

Veterans are harming newcomers to the game, veterans are too good at it, and newbies will be discouraged.

Explosions of kudos if this is what you wanted, a narrow niche game for early adopters that guaranteed a narrow following.  A rain of Hell's firy boulders if you wanted newbies to yearn some fun but instead be schooled at every spawn.

Not withstanding that I knowingly bought the alpha, but as a veteran, the game really hates newcomers.

"You are unconscious" says my monitor.  This realistic put-off is pushing me to a game I can play.

Please, please, never forget, this is a game.  Frustrating players right away is not going to work.

• Like 3

So you expect all the veterans to quit and go play another game? With regaurds to the other problems you should have read the numerous this is an alpha warnings and known what you are buying and just playing the mod instead for the time being.

Edited by Ravenger97

So the concept your proposing is DayZ veterans stop playing the game?

U6wLSF4.png

Also, how dare you compare Epoch to SA? SA is comprised of what DayZ is about. Epoch -while cool- is completely against the essence of DayZ.

• Like 9

I have been playing alone but I also played some time on the mod since it first came out. I only real advantage vet players have I think is that I can personally navigate from the coast to anywhere north without a compass or map. Also even if someone is a vet it doesn't mean someone can't kill you. A lot of stuff is new and beingf a vet only helps so much with all the new mechanics.

• Like 1

First impression of SA:

Hrmmmm... Alpha?

And to compare Epoch to the SA is ludicrous. I'm so tired of seeing this easy mode shit. Street lights at night... Really?

Personally im suprised at how many newcomers bought into the ALPHA without ever having even played the mod, then procede to bitch and moan about every little thing. Its doing my head in. Bug reports are one thing, but this is something else.

Edited by dancros
  • Like 15

I don't understand.  You're mad because people that have played the game longer are better than you?  That's how every single game is.  Would you get mad if you played Counter Strike for the first time and got owned by people that have played for 10 years?  That's just the way it is.  Either play until you get better or don't. 

• Like 6

We all went through this. In every game there's people who know what they are doing and there's people who don't. This game has a steep learning curve, but that's the fun of it. Exploring and learning new things is what keeps new people coming back from what I've seen and experienced. If you're really not into it, perhaps stick with your epoch until the street lights are added into SA  :rolleyes:

It is precisely the people who have never played the mod that you should be listening to.

No, veterans would be offended if they could not play the game, but noobs should have a fighting chance.  As it stands you have to understand loot is scarce and you have to spend huge amounts of time to acquire stuff, and to add insult to injury, you can be killed by a vet, often.

As a veteran of this game, I can tolerate that.

Newbies wont.  They will see a lop sided game.

• Like 4

OP is basically complaning about two things...1) He sucks at playing dayz so the other players should cut him som slack

2) There are bugs

Oh the stupidity

• Like 1

First impression of SA:

I bought the SA and have had motorcycle helmets and map fragments, a chest holster and cans of food, but it is hard as heck staying fed and watered, not to mention the veterans with rifles that will kill you after spending a crazy amount of time acquiring a back pack and helmet, and you never saw a rifle or handgun.

Veterans are harming newcomers to the game, veterans are too good at it, and newbies will be discouraged.

Explosions of kudos if this is what you wanted, a narrow niche game for early adopters that guaranteed a narrow following.  A rain of Hell's firy boulders if you wanted newbies to yearn some fun but instead be schooled at every spawn.

Not withstanding that I knowingly bought the alpha, but as a veteran, the game really hates newcomers.

"You are unconscious" says my monitor.  This realistic put-off is pushing me to a game I can play.

Please, please, never forget, this is a game.  Frustrating players right away is not going to work.

>loot tables are awful

*walks to balota*

*runs around tents*

*runs around barracks*

*biggest backpack, all scopes in backpack, got all clothes, tac vest, drinks, muchos tuna, ran past 6 m4s on the floor*

time taken from spawn: five minutes

• Like 6

It is precisely the people who have never played the mod that you should be listening to.

Really?! I couldnt disagree more. Like I said above, Bug Reports are one thing. A rational description of a problem and a possible solution. But what we are getting (mostly from people who have never played the mod) is a million topics of "Y eet heffs 2 b so dark?"   "Y cant I finds any drink in Elektro?"  "My Character got wiped, this is BULLSHIT"

• Like 2

I dont know man, I been playing a bit of mod, not considering to be vet. I am having easy time playing SA. I think if vets had something better to do then to kill niewbies then it would be ok. I agree that new players need some kind of assistance, preferably from vet comunity. Wouldnt that be nice? As for the rest, this game could be much harder then it is now. And as for the loot there will be more as far as I understand, dude its been out for few days only.

Really?! I couldnt disagree more. Like I said above, Bug Reports are one thing. A rational description of a problem and a possible solution. But what we are getting (mostly from people who have never played the mod) is a million topics of "Y eet heffs 2 b so dark?"   "Y cant I finds any drink in Elektro?"  "My Character got wiped, this is BULLSHIT"

i think the darkness is a valid point though. not to "do down" flashlights etc, but when you've got a game as pretty as ARMA and you just turn the lights off it kinda turns to shit. i've always thought that. 

would settle for full moon night. those are quite bright, and you can't say you wouldn't prefer it. 

my experience of SA is that it's ridiculously easy to keep yourself in food and drink, (and health.)  even without refillable water container, you can just sip at streams now. 

bottle negated by stream

can opener need negated by axe

map negated by sexy new compass 

camouflaged clothes all other the place, previously very rare

bandages stackable, food isn't gone in one, (less zombies, but that's down to it being alpha. some of those zoms are ferocious now, they jump at you and shit.)

even with all the new systems for health and item damage it's way easier than mod, even with all the new items. 

No dmr, not getting shot EZmode

Edited by Wookieenoob

i think the darkness is a valid point though. not to "do down" flashlights etc, but when you've got a game as pretty as ARMA and you just turn the lights off it kinda turns to shit. i've always thought that. 

would settle for full moon night. those are quite bright, and you can't say you wouldn't prefer it. 

It doesnt worry me either way. I havent had a problem finding both daylight and night servers. I dont think its an issue, its a part of the game.

Lone wolf (aka new players) is nigh impossible

That is not an AKA. You can play lone wolf or not, new player or otherwise. It's your choice. Anyone can find a group of people to run with. If you want to be alone, that's your decision.

• Like 5

First impression of SA:

Where do you usually roam around? The loot system is currently broken (I think). Loot doesn't respawn, it ONLY spawns on restart, once someone picks it up, things wont respawn in that spot. If you are looting around the coast, leave from there. Everytime I loot towns up north almost every single building has loot.

As for the veterans thing... I'm not sure I agree with you on that, out of my 10 or so interaction, I've had 9 of them be friendly, I traded and have had wonderful interactions with almost all of the survivors I've come across. Best thing to do to AVOID being killed is stay away from Balota (highest PVP area as of now), cherno and electro don't seem THAT bad to me, but I haven't been near the coast in two days so I can't say for sure how the situation is in that town.

The unconcious bug from my understanding is currently being fixed. Please be patient good sir.

Edited by Advent1
  • Like 1

Bear in mind this is still derived from Arma II, and weirdo commands like c to run, x to crouch, z to go prone, etc are quite alien to newcomers.  Amra II has boot camp, maybe DayZ can have Nerf Camp, were zeds are slow, spawns are rich, and friendly fire is disabled?  Certainly boring to vets, but a nice intro to a difficult game for noobs?  Or do you just plunge them into the ArmA universe?

You do NOT want to alienate newcomers.  Frame that any way you want, say I'm against pvp if it makes you feel better, but the question is far more complex.  How do you give a first timer an experience that they will want to expand on, without frustrating them?

Call me crazy but DayZ SA should seriously address this.  Like a decaying startup, start with an AK but decay over plays to standard load out?

Are you all orthodox or what?

• Like 1

>loot tables are awful

*walks to balota*

*runs around tents*

*runs around barracks*

*biggest backpack, all scopes in backpack, got all clothes, tac vest, drinks, muchos tuna, ran past 6 m4s on the floor*

Yes, if you are the only one on the server it take five minutes, if the server has been full for a long time that will never happen. Stop playing on empty servers.

Edited by JonySK

>were zeds are slow, spawns are rich, and friendly fire is disabled

dayz is about getting fucked by bullets or firsted by zoms

not about happy loot camp 2014

Yes, if you are the only one on the server it take five minutes, if the server has been full for a long time that will never happen. Stop playing on empty servers.

>balota empty

>run to NWAF

>because everyone is looting balota nobody goes to new improved NWAF

NWAF is great now. it's got a new camp to the north of it, and north in its own area another building with military spawns

Bear in mind this is still derived from Arma II, and weirdo commands like c to run, x to crouch, z to go prone, etc are quite alien to newcomers.  Amra II has boot camp, maybe DayZ can have Nerf Camp, were zeds are slow, spawns are rich, and friendly fire is disabled?  Certainly boring to vets, but a nice intro to a difficult game for noobs?  Or do you just plunge them into the ArmA universe?

You do NOT want to alienate newcomers.  Frame that any way you want, say I'm against pvp if it makes you feel better, but the question is far more complex.  How do you give a first timer an experience that they will want to expand on, without frustrating them?

Call me crazy but DayZ SA should seriously address this.  Like a decaying startup, start with an AK but decay over plays to standard load out?

Are you all orthodox or what?

Starting with a "decaying loadout" is just silly. Every game has a learning curve. When I started out I was clueless, as I continued making mistakes I became better at playing and started memorizing where most people and the most action is and avoiding those places best I could. If you continuously do not learn from your mistakes and continously do the exact same things and expect not to die,  you should re-evaluate your priorities.

Edited by Advent1
  • Like 1

>loot tables are awful

*walks to balota*

*runs around tents*

*runs around barracks*

I've played only on full servers.

Been to Balota ~12 times.

Never found anything but pants and shoes.

So you're either playing on a completely private server, or entirely empty ones (or you're completely full of shit).

In either case, your experience is not relevant to real players.

I've played only on full servers.

Been to Balota ~12 times.

Never found anything but pants and shoes.

So you're either playing on a completely private server, or entirely empty ones (or you're completely full of shit).

In either case, your experience is not relevant to real players.

confirmed pleb

>not even returning after server restarts

disgusting