knawx

How can we make a players life more important than his gear?

Honestly this is why i like this forum there are smart people with opinions and it's not all just i am right you are wrong people discuss their view not attack and force their views, as right and wrong are completely subjective and a lot (not all) but a lot here seem to get that also have my beans for disagreeing with me but providing a good counter debate haha.

I see what you're saying i still do not agree just because as soon as you put in a dice roll people are going to get mad as you're taking control away from the user if i insert an IV drip into myself in game and all the gear is pristine and then i die and lose everything because the dice gods said 'you shall not pass' that will break my spirit and make me not want to play i mean on damaged items yes have a chance of getting sick or causing bleeding but it should all be gear dependant and never be an instant kill roll let me die by my hand by my mistakes and if junkies can inject themselves (the lowest form of human intelligence lol) and not kill themselves i feel i can also put a needle into my vain and not kill myself.

As for the medical system i feel knowledge should be power and at the moment i feel it is (but still should be harder) like i pick something up it's obviously a medical item but i have no clue when or why i should use it however someone that does know what it is and what it's for is going to have an advantage over me, really it's the same thing as the accuracy debate going on at the moment a random dice roll telling me when a shot is a hit or a miss under the exact same conditions is just not reflective of the real world (Again looking at this as an apocalypse simulator) it should be based on my skill as the player not the random pattern guns are producing now all skills in this game should be skill based on the player a player who can judge wind speed with a shot, a player who has medical knowledge a player who has hunting tracking knowledge a player that has survival knowledge should have an advantage in those situations not have to be at the mercy of the dice roll.

I like DayZ mod and i like DayZ SA i just feel leveling systems have never had a place here and should remain away, every other zombie game already essentially has a leveling system why take the magic away from this game and make it generic as the rest.

Ok well lets talk combat why on earth would you put dice roll in combat ???? the game is built on an engine designed for mil simualtion lol never would you touch max health how steady your shot is merely skills that effect getting to perfect as perfect is now from respawn and looting a mil base right off the bat .

I dont want to turn this into WOW come on man i hope you know cause your responses seem to indicate that .

The use of a junkie and being the lowest human factor in my mind actually strengthens my case about being able to do iv and such from the begining, your thinking what he is crazy but you know why they can do a needle so well even while waisted PRACTICE. Most start there journey down this path with help or having watched i havent done that and id be nervous as hell with a massive wound on some one i knew trying to bandage them up and then stick a iv blood bag on them .

but the second time i did it id be alot more comfortable till id been doing it for a few times then it would be as it is now interms of it working to he level of equipment im using ( Its ment to be a survival game i want to make it harder to and more rewarding for well surviving)

Ill bow to yes death maybe to harsh a penalty perhaps make the worst a fail can do is a complete nothing need to bag again or the infection depending on how hard you want to make it .

Im talking hidden skills with the base line being harder than it is now to make people actually stop for 2 seconds and play like there life ment something it wont stop KOS or PvP it may lessen them a little not because it will stop players who want to do that do that, it will just mean they will die quicker from wounds etc until they been around a while and then they may even start cherishing there lives a little more (there will still be plenty of shooting it out with players)

Any of these sort of ideas would have to be tested for balance it is a pre alpha release 1 year or more to beta . I just see the only other way of making it harderr is totally dropping loot and people complain alot about no loot (its to easy at moment but then zombies aint really in it much yet ).

There have been a few good ideas for making your character life worth something beyond what you loot not just mine im willing in alpha to test many of them i just dont want to leave it with all about the loot and a mad dash to get geared up then kill anyone who moves its a waste in my mind. i want to some thrill of will i die but a reason to actually interact with some one i dont know and will they shoot me maybe.

Yes i want to grow a beard for bragging rights and proof i have been around a while and valuable to a bandit who may decide to spare me if i do something he cant like cure his bloody sickness from getting from drinking un pure water (he can still cap me afterwards if he wants who knows ) Its just an idea im sure rocket has his own he has made it an MMO Survival game set in a zed apoc and well no one cares about surviving much just killing( just a feeling i get when playing)

I think I'd prefer some way of monitoring a characters progress, rather than an abilities boost. But if any improvements were so negligable that they were almost imperceptable then perhaps... but I'm still not really sure I like the idea of having a players performance increased for them over the time they are alive, it doesn't really fit the game for me.

Im new to dayz never played the mod but am loving the standalone so far. Best game ive played for a long time.

Ive also been thinking about starting one of these threads, as the game goes for realism to a certain extent i dont think the idea behind "ability levels is a bad one" it is more of an MMO anyway.

If it was done in a way that was say, the more you ran/walked/sprinted the more efficient your character became at long distance travel IE not getting thirsty as often, or the more you used a certain gun the more comfortable you got with it its handling and say not reducing recoil with a certain gun etc... as that would imbalance but say you could reload faster, or if you can repair guns, due to your knowledge you could repair it with less parts or more efficiently and not in a the way of say a "Talent tree" from WoW i dont think it would be too bad.

I do think however there would have be a hidden cap on skills if they where implemented, to stop say someone who runs alot having to NEVER drink/eat because the char is over a week old etc...

The idea behind this is sound to me, as after all the more we do things the better we get at them, so adding "rewards" for doing a certain thing isnt bad, look at the people who are dedicated medics, They have to now how to treat a variety of different injury's in this game i just think it would be a nice reward for the dedication to be able to bandage faster, or fix broken legs better with splints etc...

Say you're homeless you have nothing, no food, no shelter, no shoes. Not a thing. Are you going to value you're life as much as if you were rich or moderately wealthy. Yeah. I see no need to makepeople think their character's life is worth more than their gear when the whole purpose of your life IS to collect gear.

Long live the beard, and if your a female???

Maybe armpit hair or leg hair?

Yay apocalypse!

And yay feminism.

One idea is highscores, it wouldn't be something you see while playing (it'd break immersion) but in the title screen you can see that stuff over top of your character model, and maybe a tab to the side saying what your friends / top players have.

Highscores for:

-Zombies kills

-Time alive

-Food eaten

etc.

They're pretty meaningless and they're only for show, but some people like that, and for quite a few would be enough to make them want to stay alive.

And I think leaving out 'Players Killed' would be a good idea, so it doesn't encourage more head hunting.

• Like 1

Say you're homeless you have nothing, no food, no shelter, no shoes. Not a thing. Are you going to value you're life as much as if you were rich or moderately wealthy. Yeah. I see no need to makepeople think their character's life is worth more than their gear when the whole purpose of your life IS to collect gear.

No, the whole purpose of your life is to survive

I agree that there should be some inherent value to your character's life outside of gear alone. Right now there is no incentive not to just get kitted out and go and cause trouble (after all who else you going to use those guns on?).

I would like to see:

Visible character progression based on time (love the beard/braids idea).

I read somewhere bandits would have a heartbeat assigned to them when you look at them. Not 100% realistic but have it so that a persons heartbeat lowers for killing a bandit and rises by twice as much for killing an innocent. This will make it easier to know who you can potentially trust. Couple this with the visible beard/braids and you know that someone with a long beard and low heartbeat would be more trustworthy than a new spawn with low heartbeat.

Over time character progression. Perhaps an increase in total blood? Less shock from damage? Burn less energy sprinting?

Over time item use progression. Bandaged alot of people? You do it faster. I know it might encourage farming but make it so if you bandage the same person within 20 minutes you no longer get extra experience and it resets the timer.

Vanity items that become available after certain lengths of time. A medic can obviously have a redcross vanity item. Not sure how this would work for mechanics or cooks etc though.

Certain rewards for killing alot of zombies. Right now zombies are just a nuisance. Even when there are more zombies they will still be a nuisance. There should be a reward for doing some PVE.

A global wanted list. No actual numbers but a top ten bandit list (I know this might be a bad idea and increase people acting like arses). But make it so that people can see if the bandits on the top 10 are online and being able to join their servers. Make the hunters the hunted.

This is just a brainfart list of suggestions and I'm sure not all are everyones cup of tea. But they're there as ideas. As I see it we need to make the character's life, separate from their gear, mean something.

• Like 1

Couple ideas how to make player character life more valuable and other characters life too.

Those ideas are to increase survival aspect of game and gamplay and have nothing to do with 'real life'.

Over time character progression. Perhaps an increase in total blood? Less shock from damage? Burn less energy sprinting?

I like it.

Add more over time character progression, like needing to eat and drink less. Make survived days count more then K/D ratio. Survival is 1% and PvP is 99% of the game. Make survival aspect important more.

A global wanted list. No actual numbers but a top ten bandit list (I know this might be a bad idea and increase people acting like arses). But make it so that people can see if the bandits on the top 10 are online and being able to join their servers. Make the hunters the hunted.

Problem with banditry is that it takes no  effort or skill, KoSing is the easiest and most rewarding thing to do in game.

To make a bandit earn the tittle of bandit and not another Call of Duty death match kiddie, it should be that in game you would getting hungry and thirsty much faster with every kill.

That would make being a bandit to take some skill and effort, and would also justify bandit KoS life, as he need food, drinks much more so he continues to KoS.

All reset upon death.

PS.

Getting hungry/thirsty much faster with every survivor/hero killed, you make people want to handcuff and rob other players instead of KoSing them. Other players would also rather be robed then killed if their life (progerss over time) would be worth something more then gear they have.

Edited by Frosti
  • Like 1

Well, i think even the deadliest badass never would kill someone without some psychic problems afterwards. (Some insane people like mass murders would do it for fun, but not eveyone)

So why not implement something like menthal healt for everyone, not only the bandits, even a kill in selfe defense would bring you bad dreams and sleepless nights, ask a soldier or cop.

And whats the first thing you want to do after crushed someonse head with an axe because you had to? Right get a bottle of vodka and silence your brain.

So how to implemet something like that into dayz...

1: every kill you do has a chance of getting you menthal ill (debuf), not forever but a long time (a few hours maybe)

2: now you can wait until the illnes is gone or you could wash your brain in alcohol or eaven harder stuff to temporary get rid of it.

3: drugs also should have debufs like blury vision or maybe physical healt problems.

4: the menthal illnes itselfe transformed into a game mechanic... thats the problem. Maybe you hear foodsteps or shots that arent real from time to time, maybe also some halluzinations, maybe some zeds look like the player you have killed, maybe a 2 frames flashback to the moment you pulled the trigger? No gamebreaking change... just some weyrd little things that let you look twice into that window on the other steet. (Was there someone in the window? Or was that my brain going cracy?)

I know its a a little oftopic but there are so many great ideas here that go into a simmiliar direction and i think we dont need anoter topic about kos.

Also i dont know every post here so if it was mentioned before (im sure menthal illnes is, but not in combination with drugs) forgive me.

Sry for bad english, its not my native language and im writing with my phone from work.

It's a survival game. Is supposed to be your gear is what is important. That is the entire game. You go around and look for items that let you survive. Not your character is high level so you survive.

I don't like your idea cuz what you want will make super humans with huge stamina then others then used as advantage over weak players killing them easily I'm for realistic gameplay where humans are equal no matter how long they survive you will not become superman...dayz is about surviving skills and not about building league of legends... system is great as it is and get better in game...

I think skills definitely need to be brought into the game, character progression as well as gear progression. Did dean not say that this was going to be happening in an interview or dev blog? I'm willing to wait but I'd like to see a nice comprehensive list of planned features, there's very little on steam like maybe 5 bullet points. 

So what about our female players? Be careful with your replies... 

So because there are female players he isn't allowed to say he likes an idea? what he said wasn't offensive in anyway, or it shouldn't have been. 

There's nothing wrong with what he said. 

I don't like your idea cuz what you want will make super humans with huge stamina then others then used as advantage over weak players killing them easily I'm for realistic gameplay where humans are equal no matter how long they survive you will not become superman...dayz is about surviving skills and not about building league of legends... system is great as it is and get better in game...

Hence why my idea of skills starts you in the negative of what you can do.

We are in effect superhumans now there is no skill any player cant do straight of the bat from spawn if he finds the gear.....

I want it so you have a chance of failing at everything (most everything lol ) till you have tried it a so many times till your skill gets to what it is now perfect and only needing a pristine item to do it perfectly.

Could make it even a little deeeper and have a past life skill that starts you at what your skill is now perfect in that field dependant on having a pristine item. eg mechanic would automaticly have the full skill to fix cars that we as fresh spawns have now ( when cars come in ofcourse.

You all look at the idea of passive skills making it easier to play when i actually want them to make it harder to play but rewarding when you do and live to learn things that will help you survive up to a cap of our current spawn skill which is again perfect for every skill doesnt make sense to me....

Time, my character is valuable because of the time i've invested on them. If i got held up and all my gear taken, i'd be much happier than if i was shot, because i'd rather not die and have to run inland from the coast. 

that being said, i wouldn't expect anything but a bullet off the coast, when they fix easy combat logging that might be more common to hold someone up rather than shoot them. 

Making a player's life more important than his gear will be good, because then when targets are exterminated, they will lose more. 

Making a player's life more important than his gear will be good, because then when targets are exterminated, they will lose more. 

LOL see an idea i like would actually make your play style for you more fun ,people would be more likely to surrender in hope of living( all those tortures you enjoy so much ) But as you wear such distinctive cloths people will just combat log on ya currently that is...

Gained survival traits that are ultimately unknown by numbers or progressive announcements, that are only more clearly indicated by their practice. want realism? Go that route.

To be honest, it would probably make you more of a target. 

BIG BEARD = Long Time Survivor = Lot's of Gear 

Thing is do you aquire all of their assets or can your new spawn go back and dig the hole from your previous life? This could be a major issue. Seeing as that in real life a new person would have no idea where you dug those holes...

That mofo look like duck dynasty, kill him!!!! ha ha.. I don't mind the idea,

I can see it now, Bandits or bounty hunter types get sent on missions from other groups, bring me some of that fools beard and his old ladies braid and we will give you --------- fill in the blank lol... I remember hearing something about muling players, but with a 30 second timer on logging it would never work.,, But you could still take their gear or make sure to kill them in that time frame, or simply let them log off..

I think it would be cool to have character skills and information about their life before the apocalypse.  Gives more immersion into the game.  So for example, let's say you spawned and your character was a mechanic.  This gives you a slight increase in repair speeds and the ability to perform major repairs (engine replacement) without needing to "level up" in experience first like the other survivors.  This could possibly promote team work and less KOS.  For example, a group of 3 survivors is trying to get a car up and running.  Neither of them are mechanics so they could only do basic repairs on the vehicle.  Instead of waiting until they have enough experience to be able to perform the major repair, they go searching for a mechanic, capture him, and force him to make the repair.  Now the issue comes when the mechanic has made the repair, would you shoot him or use his skills at another time? 

Certainly there are some flaws with this model but it's a cool idea to think about.  This could be done with doctors who can only perform certain medical procedures, construction workers who can build bases quicker and more advanced structures, an armorer who can repair damaged weapons, or an ex-con who is very good at  banditry tactics (whatever those may be).

Biggest thing I don't like is how it can force you into a certain role in the game.

What they need to do is give stats from the mod back.  Time survived, zombies killed, murders, etc.  Just give us time-tracked stats that can make us feel good about surviving.  Do not make leaderboards for K/D ratio or people killed, etc.  Make them for zombies killed, time survived, animals hunted, etc.

• Like 1