knawx

How can we make a players life more important than his gear?

The thing that makes the most tense moments in this game is the what you are trying to change. I dont want to lost all my good stuff so i will do anything to survive.

this game is about surviving, not collecting as much gear as you can and then doing deathmach and most probably dying. Death in this game means nothing, it' only about the items which is bad 

• Like 3

The thing that makes the most tense moments in this game is the what you are trying to change. I dont want to lost all my good stuff so i will do anything to survive.

I think you are missing the point of this thread.  We don't want you to care about your gear more than your life.  Also, my suggestion is even more tied to gear since you'll lose your tent as well if you are killed.

I think once they start adding the web based statistics it will change the way people play. Stats really give's a player identity and reputation. If people see you are nothing but a one shot killer you will lose reputation. Some people will thrive on this because they want to be the best bandit, but other may want to pursue other avenues. Currently the anonymity of killing a person with no recourse is biggest reason for KOS. If players kills and stats are shown for all to see they might be less inclined to kill anything that moves, meta gaming will become a big part of this game in the future and your reputation will play a huge part in that. 

On a side note:

Check out DayZ Unleashed mod. Learning and leveling is a system they have been toying with.

http://www.dayzunleashed.com/

Very good mod actually, definitely have been trying totally different approaches and ideas to most other mods of DayZ mod.

I liked the idea that too much needless killing and general "being a complete psychopath" over time makes your character kinda crazy. Seeing shit, hearing noise, getting sick. You want real? Cold blooded murder probably takes it toll on you unless the only people to survive were serial killers. "There's nothing easy about taking a man's life no matter how little value it may have".

Beard...GIVE MY CHAR A BEARD!

And traits will be benifishal for your char importance and gear less meaning! Do it.

Players lives will never be more important than their gear to me.

A players life wont help me survive, but their food/water/medical supplies will.

A players life wont help me defend myself, But their gun and extra ammo will.

Loot > Players life.

Happy christmas x

It doesnt matter , there will be still bandits , who will kill you no matter , if you surrender.

5 minutes ago , i was south of Berezino , when i saw group of 2 guys eqquiped with guns. They were looting factory.I dropped my axe , so i wasnt a threat to them. I was looting too , when i saw one of them . i hid behind a wall. WHen he was going my way , i came out and surrendered (with F2? not sure if it is F2 or F3). He was looking at me and shoted me to the face. So , there will be still these noobs , which are destroying the game.

• Like 1

It would be the ultimate troll if Dean added you can only play on one character per day. If that character dies, you cannot log in for another 24 hours.

I mean, think about it, it would give players value to their life, right? haha

It would be the ultimate troll if Dean added you can only play on one character per day. If that character dies, you cannot log in for another 24 hours.

There would be even more snipers , who would KoS.

Damn right we need skill system,that would actually made me care about my character not dying if i lose all my gear.Hell i would even gave bandits all my gear and ran away into forest wearing nothing but underwear  while singing aye aye coco jumbo as long as they don't kill my character,

I hope developers are reading this thread

Edited by RespawnCake

Just make it like this if you die you have to buy a new copy of the game ur dead forever gg

All I see a stat system/skill tree doing is creating even more whine. Dying will be even more soul destroying for many players.

The bandit/kos players wont care because most of them travel in packs that can and will cover their weaknesses on a fresh spawn.

The people that are getting held up now wont suddenly learn to avoid being robbed because they have a beard, if losing all the gear they spent the last 5 hours getting isn't enough of an incentive to effectively protect themselves, a beard wont change anything. All it will do is turn these players away because you just added another layer of loss to their death.

Nothing you can add to the game will make people value their lives as much as we do in real life, because you will always respawn.

I would love it if my character grew a beard, but I would never submit to a robbery on the off chance it would save my life (and therefore my beard). The same goes for +5 woodchopping or "Your character has been alive for blabla hours" stat tracking.

Players lives will never be more important than their gear to me.

A players life wont help me survive, but their food/water/medical supplies will.

A players life wont help me defend myself, But their gun and extra ammo will.

Loot > Players life.

Happy christmas x

Good, I hope you will enjoy wasting your $29.99 only to get a game where you only want to shoot some people. I recommend you Counter-strike 1.6, it's only $4 on steam and It gives you what you want in dayz

All I see a stat system/skill tree doing is creating even more whine. Dying will be even more soul destroying for many players.

The bandit/kos players wont care because most of them travel in packs that can and will cover their weaknesses on a fresh spawn.

The people that are getting held up now wont suddenly learn to avoid being robbed because they have a beard, if losing all the gear they spent the last 5 hours getting isn't enough of an incentive to effectively protect themselves, a beard wont change anything. All it will do is turn these players away because you just added another layer of loss to their death.

Nothing you can add to the game will make people value their lives as much as we do in real life, because you will always respawn.

I would love it if my character grew a beard, but I would never submit to a robbery on the off chance it would save my life (and therefore my beard). The same goes for +5 woodchopping or "Your character has been alive for blabla hours" stat tracking.

funny.gif

WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT GETTING RID OF KOS. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT ADDING VALUE TO PLAYER'S LIFE, NOT ONLY HIS GEAR. 

Edited by Gdaddy22
  • Like 1

In all honesty, I think a skill "tree" would ruin the fun of this game.

In all honesty, I think a skill "tree" would ruin the fun of this game.

Who's talking about a skill tree ? And adding basic skills won't ruin the game, it will only make you care about your life and you character, not just run into cherno and shoot everybody around because YOLO I HAVE NOTHING TO LOOSE

Edited by Gdaddy22
  • Like 1

they have to stop KoS... I have a idea. If you have a walkie talkie , some operator would inform you , where are the active bandits.. Something like :

"2 Bandits at 024051 a minute ago" and voice of some heli pilot or something like that.

So you would know , where are the bandits and you could go there and hunt them. So if you would see somebody, you wouldnt instantly shot him because you dont want to show your position to other players.

they have to stop KoS... I have a idea. If you have a walkie talkie , some operator would inform you , where are the active bandits.. Something like :

"2 Bandits at 024051 a minute ago" and voice of some heli pilot or something like that.

So you would know , where are the bandits and you could go there and hunt them. So if you would see somebody, you wouldnt instantly shot him because you dont want to show your position to other players.

funny.gif

Also it's a good idea with the walkie takie

Edited by Gdaddy22

As crazy as this may sound this is actually a good idea. Dean was talking about the possibility of micro hives. Hives that are still connected together but not to the main server. Having a one life every 24 hour could make for some damn good gaming in a micro hive setting. 

Play on the 24 hour life server until you get killed then go play on the main hive until you can spawn in the 24 hour one. Would be a nice experiment to see how it panned out. Also it could be very stat based, best survivor leader board. Who survived longest, how long did they travel, Who survived the longest without killing anything, Who survived longest and killed most. Lets do it!

Maybe look at inserting points on the map where hostages can be traded for money or loot..Obviously make the rewards of dragging a hostage across the map worth it..

That way you can make a player worth more alive than dead...

once a player has been traded then they will re-spawn without any gear..

The player doing the trade will get loot or money???

This will not only introduce an interesting twist to the game but you will get people trying to escape.. Maybe even gangs fighting over hostages, teams setting traps... All with very valuable handcuffed hostages running around??

;)

Oh, and hi.... first post!!

Well rocket has said himself that the thing that makes DayZ what it is, and why it's so amazing, is the fact that players CAN choose what they want to do when it comes to player interaction and it not negatively affect the way your character progresses throughout the game. In the mod this was extremely prevalent and gave you that sense of "Oh crap! Another player!", all the while your heartrate increases and your palms get sweaty. That is what the mod was all about. The uncertainty of the mentality of the other player.

The fact that you KNEW that you could possibly be killed on sight is what made the game exciting. The addition of the Hero/Survivor/Bandit skins made it even better. If they are a bandit, blast his skull open. Hero? If your another hero or survivor...approach with gun down and hail over direct chat. If they are a survivor, then you know to be wary and not let your guard down until they have proven themselves not hostile, and even then keep an eye on them. I know in SA it is different with the ability to change clothing and such, but hopefully they will add a humanity system in eventually.

As far as people who run up to someone with a hatchet in hand, or a gun pointed at them and yell "Friendly! Dun shewt may pl0x!", get shot in the face, and bitch about it on these forums, here is my message to you. Don't be a fool. Don't EVER approach anyone from the front or from a vulnerable position just to see if they want to "hang out like br0s". That is what get's you pushing up daisies. Instead, be the one that gets the drop on them. Hunt, stalk, sneak, conceal, track, and work your way to a spot where you have the advantage in the situation and THEN let them know your there. Tell them to holster their weapon or you will kill them. Or ask if they have something you need, but ALSO let them know you would be willing to trade for it. And guys...don't ask for a blood bag and some sterile bandages in return for something like a fracking kiwi. If you did that to me, I would shoot you in the face just for being an idiot. Offer a clip of ammo or a box of shells. Something of value. This is how you interact in DayZ if you don't want to be killed on sight WITHOUT ADDING TO THE PROBLEM<----inb4 KoS is best way.

If you get seen...run if you don't want to take the chance. Most of the baw kiddies that whine at KoS are the ones that are WILLING to take that chance, just because they are too lazy to run away and try someone else or find the gear/help themselves. I've been playing DayZ for awhile now, and played on a VERY heavily KoS server that was run by 2 bandit clans and 1 hero clan. Everytime I died, it was because I engaged bandits. Not b/c I got stabbed in the back by another player or KoS'ed by a survivor. One of the first people I grouped up with on that server was someone I caught stalking me, hid behind a rock, and held him up. I didn't kill on sight, and it proved to be worth it. He and I went on to hold up 2 more guys, which ended up also joining the group. This group eventually developed into a survivor clan that could finally fight back the bandit clans with some effectiveness, and we played for a good 6 months on that server battling it out against those bandits. This is why DayZ is such an amazing game, and why potentially "nerfing" KoS will kill the game. Make bandits look like bandits/ only be able to wear bandit clothes. Make the appearance tell who the person is, and everything will settle itself from there.

Edited by Deathrush
  • Like 1

Give females beards.....a lot of women have to shave their face, we just don't believe it......I still refuse to believe girls poop.....

also why cant we use the outhouses or ever have to go to the bathroom ever? Holding your piss forever would actually make you sick, and not pooping could make you go septic.

• Like 1