exomonkeyman

You feel thirsty... FFFFFFF

First run so far...  Met up with a buddy we looted all the way over to elektro... drank 2 cans of soda each and ate a bunch of fruit.

Neither of our thirsty or hungry messages went away and my buddy went unconcious.  All the other messages kept going as well.  As soon as he went down his body moved across the ground in a crawling state and never stopped moving yet his screen was black and he had the message he was unconcious.

It was 20+ minutes before we gave up.

Not trying to have any sort of expectations as i play but this seems pretty major.

Will wait a few days before i try again.

Does that mean you volunteer to be beaten via pipe by a naked steak?

Mmmmmm. Sounds like a dream I had the other night.

Standalone avatars in their current state seem like whiny little bitches.

You feel tired

You feel thirsty

My mouth is dry

I feel light headed

I'm starving

You feel dizzy

Oh no. I broke a nail

Ow. I stubbed my toe

Anyone else feel as if the Drink and Hunger system occur WAY WAY too often?

I'm undecided on whether I like the messaging system. Right now it's a little hard to tell since it doesn't seem to be displaying accurate information. You're literally always hungry and thirsty. At one point, I ate a bunch of rice, and got this:

You satisfied your hunger

You feel hungry

...simultaneously.

I think it'll work if you can accurately gauge how hungry/thirsty you are from the messages, but at the same time I liked being able to tell at a glance. As for the no hud / immersion aspect, well how much more immersive is a constant text feed? I think maybe a good compromise would be a more subdued version of the mod's symbol based system, but maybe just have it come up only when called by the player (like the gear quick menu does) and then automatically once a critical level is reached.

• Like 3

I'm undecided on whether I like the messaging system. Right now it's a little hard to tell since it doesn't seem to be displaying accurate information. You're literally always hungry and thirsty. At one point, I ate a bunch of rice, and got this:

You satisfied your hunger

You feel hungry

...simultaneously.

I think it'll work if you can accurately gauge how hungry/thirsty you are from the messages, but at the same time I liked being able to tell at a glance. As for the no hud / immersion aspect, well how much more immersive is a constant text feed? I think maybe a good compromise would be a more subdued version of the mod's symbol based system, but maybe just have it come up only when called by the player (like the gear quick menu does) and then automatically once a critical level is reached.

Please

For the love of everything holy on this planet

Do what this man suggests. 

• Like 2

Really prefer the visual indicators. I know I am playing a sim, but it's still a game and a few little icons on my screen don't make me feel any less immersed.

What does is struggling to figure out how to actually EAT and DRINK in standalone :L

I found a water pump, came up in my context sensitive menu.

Sure, that's good and all.. but how the heck do I eat this can of food in my inventory?

Some kind of visual/audio indicator would be nice. Maybe in conjunction with less frequent, more important messages like "You feel nauseous" and the like. I don't need to know how dry my mouth is every second...

I sorta like it, makes it seem more realistic, but I can see it getting annoying

How is a text message more `realistic` than an icon.

Last I checked neither scrolls by my eye in the real world.

I don't think eating and drinking to surive actually works. I ate and drank heaps and passed out 10 minutes later. I guess i just ate too much food and eventually it knocked me unconscious.

From what I've read thus far, Eating and Drinking may be "fixing" a multitude of bodily "needs". Such as wanting to sleep, being tired, being hungry, thirsty, sick, w/e. Perhaps that's the reason for the constant spam, when you ate and satisfied your hunger, your still wanting to sleep, or what ever the case may be. Eat again, after I started eating and drinking more often I seemed to have much less spam past the being "wore-down" from running. (JUST A GUESS)

I did like the HUD in the Mod, however;  I think the txt identifiers, and possibly some other things like stomachs growling and things like that would go a long way with immersion and getting the point across. I also noticed before dying a horrible death to starving and cutting myself rummaging though a car (Yea.. no idea.. opened door to a car and I started whining about feeling blood on my shirt) any-who, when I was dying of hunger, having cans of food an no way of opening them (that's just cruel btw) that my whiney little messages started showing up BOLD AND RED or just red.. nonetheless, got the point across. Even adding color stages to the txt warnings could appease both sides and their needs/wants. 

Im also pretty sure if i have 3 cans of food on me and no can opener yet am dying of hunger.. i could manage to get the can open with an axe if i had to.

So far I'm not too thrilled with Standalone. I feel everything is amazing about it in every single aspect BUT the fact of that nothing has changed when it comes to PvP except for nobody having guns really. I mean, this is the first day and it has consisted of me resorting to slugfests with other players because they just feel like... well following me around trying to punch me. I've gotten into several fights, and been beaten to death while looting. I feel as if when we get 100+ player servers it's just gonna be 100 people running around trying to punch each other. This truly makes me sad....

All I've been doing is trying to bug hunt and enjoy myself by exploring but apparently 95% of people could give two shits about that.

Edited by OfficerRaymond

find a canteen and a water pump, I believe the water pump is always clean and unlimited

if I'm wrong I may die shortly cause I've been chugging it

Not really. I drink from my canteen that was filled at a water pump and exactly 60 seconds after I drink it says I'm thirsty. Even when I'm doing nothing but standing around.

One "sip" definitely doesn't seem to bring you back up to full drink, which is why it seems constant.   That being said I drank a full bottle of water and then filled it up and drank it again and my mother fucking mouth was dry 10 minutes later. 

DayZ = Proper Hydration Simulator 2013!

did not let me fill my water bottle from a well.

At this rate people won't be killing each other for better gear, but for food and water because you need to eat like a powerlifter on creatine. Eating 4kcal+ a day and no less than 1 gallon of water.

The U.S. Army survival manual does not recommend that you drink water only when thirsty, as this leads to under hydrating. Instead, water should be drunk at regular intervals.

Edited by OldStalker

For adult average is 4liters per day.

Easiest solution: Bring back the HUD. I understand we're going for immersion here but you can only go so far before you start to impair gameplay.

In real life I know when I'm hungry because I can feel it. No such thing in DayZ. The text is unhelpful. I would rather see a colored icon: Bright green, green, bright yellow, orange, red. Perfect.

Also another problem with the visual cue thing: At night you won't be able to tell. Simulators are meant to give you information so you can decide what to do. Can you imagine if MS Flight Sim made me GUESS what altitude I was at just by looking out the cockpit? That would be absurd.

• Like 1

Easiest solution: Bring back the HUD. I understand we're going for immersion here but you can only go so far before you start to impair gameplay.

In real life I know when I'm hungry because I can feel it. No such thing in DayZ. The text is unhelpful. I would rather see a colored icon: Bright green, green, bright yellow, orange, red. Perfect.

Also another problem with the visual cue thing: At night you won't be able to tell. Simulators are meant to give you information so you can decide what to do. Can you imagine if MS Flight Sim made me GUESS what altitude I was at just by looking out the cockpit? That would be absurd.

true that..

the text idea while it might seem like a good idea. simply isnt as good as the mods icons.. it just isnt..

So far I'm not too thrilled with Standalone. I feel everything is amazing about it in every single aspect BUT the fact of that nothing has changed when it comes to PvP except for nobody having guns really. I mean, this is the first day and it has consisted of me resorting to slugfests with other players because they just feel like... well following me around trying to punch me. I've gotten into several fights, and been beaten to death while looting. I feel as if when we get 100+ player servers it's just gonna be 100 people running around trying to punch each other. This truly makes me sad....

All I've been doing is trying to bug hunt and enjoy myself by exploring but apparently 95% of people could give two shits about that.

My first death was to someone chopping me in the back with an axe as i left a building with my flashlight out.  Very sad.

And while were on the topic of flashlights... they are brutal...

If I am in an enclosed room with a flashlight on I should see the whole room not just a little circle that dissapears when I look down.

If were forced to play at night give us some real working flashlights pls.

This whole unconcious forever thing sucks... also was truly dissapointed to see they took the stary military tents out.  I know that will probably get changed at somepoint however finally scraping my way to stary to find it wasnt there took a LOT of wind out of my sails.  Then I couldnt find a piece of food anywhere and passed out.

I wasnt expecting alot and really really am trying to keep an open "alpha mode" mind when playing, but considering how long this took to come out and that it cost me $30 I am so far really dissapointed.

The food water and message system being fucked seems like a major oversight that maybe should have been addressed before the months spent on this "network bubble" that honestly so far to me has made zero difference to performance.

• Like 1

The food water and message system being fucked seems like a major oversight that maybe should have been addressed before the months spent on this "network bubble" that honestly so far to me has made zero difference to performance.

We definitely need more than just the current "I'm thirsy" "I'm hungry" system .It makes things far too difficult to keep track of. I'm not sure what it could be replaced with (possibly something in the gear menu that gives a vague clue) but the current system gives almost no inclination as to when you're actually getting close to passing out.

Call me a pussy, but the current system isn't very good.

I feel worn-out

I feel dizzy

My mouth is dry

My stomach growls

My head hurts

I feel light headed 

STOP BEING A PUSSY!

fixed that for you... ;)