SmashT

December Round-up: ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE SA

"Welcome to the last SITuation REPort in 2013. We'll be out of comms for a few weeks during the holiday period, returning on 14.01.2014 with our weekly updates and many awesome things."

Arma3 Sitrep 10.12 

its amazing how 3 different people can post 3 different dates about same thing

Evans, they are back at work earlier than 14.01, also it doesnt mean they wont work for few days more since 14.01-few weeks might be like even end od december

I just want to say that stoppin devbranch updates for arma 3 means shit (its clever, atleast theres no chance they will break game for holidays+ they are working on campaign so no devbranch updates are needed+they need time to gather data from MP)

• Like 2

I’m old school so will enter Dayz when its considered at a good level of build. I thought the SA was limited to what you can mod for the very good reason of the developers keeping the game on the right track and fair to play and keeping the “ I want to kill and I’m going to cheat as I don’t have any skill” brigade out.

Really interested in what they think will be the right number of players on the one server.

"Welcome to the last SITuation REPort in 2013. We'll be out of comms for a few weeks during the holiday period, returning on 14.01.2014 with our weekly updates and many awesome things."

Arma3 Sitrep 10.12 

That could as well mean that the gonna help with dayz sa alpha fixing .. couldn't it?

Edited by root`
  • Like 1

it doesnt mean anything

Its only about sitreps, they may work on dayz, arma 3, take on mars, take on garden, carrier command 2 or just sing some christmas songs

Why don't I like the payday masks?

Because OVERKILL is a scummy joke of a developer who has lied and backtracked around every corner in terms of the launch content of payday 2, and I don't want to be reminded of that shit while in another game. 

Not something you should want to associate with. Not to mention the new microtransaction 'DLC' weapon pack that makes what should have been free common sense updates a $5 ripoff.

>>> remember this? http://www.gamespot.com/articles/payday-2-wont-have-microtransactions/1100-6410303/ <<<

Great idea. Absolutely piss poor execution due to developers who only see green... You have no idea how censored their steam forum was...

*Missing safe house customization...  

*Terrible level count (6 heists on the same map doesn't count as "different" heists -- we like to call that lazy ass game development) padded out via crimenet...

*Arbitrary weapon restrictions in inventory, arbitrary mask restrictions -- absolutely mind boggling...

*Random drops to pad replay-ability, without the ability for the system to detect what you already have -- leading to ridiculous multiples of the same single weapon attachment...

*The final straw for me is when people complained there was nothing to do with all the excess money they had (which would have and should have been spent on safe house upgrades and such) so they nerfed the payouts instead of adding worthwhile content to spend it on.

Agreed :) I thought OK were a good developing company. Hopefully Rocket and co don't take too much advise from them.

wen year ends, if meditate about what happenet this year,  the conclusion is: we need this machine in nex rocket interview to get iformation abot release inminence.

I really see they improved the game from what showed in e3, but please stop aim the comuniti to wait day to day the release, just ask a true eta.

lenguaje_no_verbal_poligrafo.jpg

its amazing how 3 different people can post 3 different dates about same thing

Evans, they are back at work earlier than 14.01, also it doesnt mean they wont work for few days more since 14.01-few weeks might be like even end od december

I just want to say that stoppin devbranch updates for arma 3 means shit (its clever, atleast theres no chance they will break game for holidays+ they are working on campaign so no devbranch updates are needed+they need time to gather data from MP)

yap..that's what the devs  posted on the arma forums :-) ....the x-mas fever competition ends for example next friday (19.12)..I just posted the official statement from their last sitrep...

One of the developers I think Rocket could take a great deal from is David who invented the sand box game with Elite, Frontier the Company have been professional with organised news letter and realistic target dates that they actually have fulfilled today with the release of their Alpha. (Elite Dangerous)

It’s a massive step for them but they have never ducked questions and always made sure the fans and people like myself who backed the game on KS have been well informed. David has taken time out to answer questions time and time again and Dev Diary’s have been well thought out and always gave the impression of solid progression.

It has built trust over the peace that only Dean could dream off.

Edited by sav112

Yes, but money transactions were also involved. That adds a whole new level of responsibility. This isn't the case with DayZ. Yet.

Yes, but money transactions were also involved. That adds a whole new level of responsibility. This isn't the case with DayZ.  Yet.

Don't speak of the devil. Please!

Also, Rocket talking about the group of testers on reddit:

Access is given to those with close associations who are low maintenance. We're looking for "meat in the room", nothing more. I think our choices have been wise because so far, not a single thing has been leaked which is great.

Being friends with me probably lowers your chances of accessing the standalone tests, as we explicitly haven't enlisted testing from some close friends because they are my friends and we wanted to avoid any problems of bias. An example would be Sacriel and Shannon, both of whom I'd count as close personal friends (incidentally, neither have ever asked me for a key nor have they ever pushed for information).

What we have done, is gathered as many trusted people we could to help test. It's really quite a critical juncture now, but it's not about finding bugs (there are many, we know that), its about testing the architecture.

Mostly these people are comprised of people we've had some kind of professional association with, such as mods of dayz related forums, administrators of sites, people with technical knowledge, and then friends, gaming groups with organization structures who manage themselves that our key members are associated with. An example would be r4zor, the lead of the dayz mod who is able to provide very valuable advice and is only of the best people to be able to compare the opportunities the SA gives as well as it's current weaknesses.

Testing the pre-alpha is about 99% not fun. It involves start server > join > check something > restart - at best. At worst it involves crashes, screwing up your steam install and having to reinstall it all, (yes, it's happened already).

So, yeah, if you're feeling down you can comfort yourself with the thought of it being tedious, annoying work and be happy about the fact you don't spoil your fun for when it releases in a more refined state.

Edited by Tempus

Yes, but money transactions were also involved. That adds a whole new level of responsibility. This isn't the case with DayZ. Yet.

I doubt they'll go that route.

• Like 1

Very true, with people having put in their hard earned it brings it up a level but I’d hate to think just because no money is involved there would be less professionalism or responsibility here.

I cant play the SA for months but I feel for everyone waiting. I would love you lot to be surprised before Christmas as its deserved, but sadly I think the reality is this will come out next year. I would hope the staff would be big enough if they did in fact know already that this was the case to tell the community. If they think it builds excitement or more interest I think they are wrong. Be open and everyone will be happy. 

Interesting read about the testing, that’s how I don’t want anything to do with the game till its robust and working to a good level. Being frustrated in a game I’ve never played  just would not be fun.

But for everyone that does get to test it I wish them luck and hope they view it as a chance to help make the game better.

Edited by sav112
  • Like 3

I doubt they'll go that route.

depends on who "they" are ;)

if microsoft or sony say hey BI or Rocket depending on whos getting the cash heres 10 million or whatever, it will go console. it would take 8 to 12 weeks to port over probably max. so you would be crazy not to take the money. it will be on one of the consoles at end of the day its a business first then a games company who likes games. so many forget this.

People need to stop dealing with their preconceptions of a "skill system" (i.e. "Oh, it'll be like Skyrim!"). It's the same silly retrospect that causes people to flip out when someone even mentions (the very vague) acronym of "MMO". Everyone screams "I don't want microtransactions! I don't want to have to raid! I don't want it to be like Warcraft! No! No! No!"

Christ, it's a freaking concept. How it's executed is a whole different ball-game, so stop comparing a hypothetical concept in DayZ to unrelated precedent.

Let's call it an Improvement System. Does that help?

One improves certain tasks, which are not directly influenced by player action (i.e. bandaging, blood bagging, reloading, repairing, etc.) because they're procedural animations which take up X amount of time. These actions, other than their mere initiation require no input from the player. Thus, any potential improvement in these systems must be provided for by a kind of "skill system" whereby one improves certain tasks through repetition.

It's shouldn't be a "You've reached level 56! Allocate 5 skill points to whatever you wish!" type of system at all, and I don't think anyone here has advocated for something as such.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 7

People need to stop dealing with their preconceptions of a "skill system" (i.e. "Oh, it'll be like Skyrim!"). It's the same silly retrospect that causes people to flip out when someone even mentions (the very vague) acronym of "MMO". Everyone screams "I don't want microtransactions! I don't want to have to raid! I don't want it to be like Warcraft! No! No! No!"

Christ, it's a freaking concept. How it's executed is a whole different ball-game, so stop comparing a hypothetical concept in DayZ to unrelated precedent.

One improves certain tasks, which are not directly influenced by player action (i.e. bandaging, blood bagging, reloading, repairing, etc.) because they're procedural animations which take up X amount of time. These actions, other than their mere initiation require no input from the player. Thus, any potential improvement in these systems must be provided for by a kind of "skill system" whereby one improves certain tasks through repetition.

It's shouldn't be a "You've reached level 56! Allocate 5 skill points to whatever you wish!" type of system at all, and I don't think anyone here has advocated for something as such.

I undestand what you want. Yet I have to say no. I don't like it. You mean to tell me that when I respawn after death reloading/bandaging now takes x amount of time more that before? Heck no, that is stupid.

I totally agree with you, but this is what I really find weird about this community. Because when you mention something like this, either way the people ignore you or just say it's stupid. They don't like it...

I haven't heard once why people actually don't like it..

I undestand what you want. Yet I have to say no. I don't like it. You mean to tell me that when I respawn after death reloading/bandaging now takes x amount of time more that before? Heck no, that is stupid.

It adds another reason for you to stay alive & really appreciate your character. :)

It adds another reason for you to stay alive & really appreciate your character. :)

I'ts the only reason I like this Idea. 

I'ts the only reason I like this Idea. 

And it should be the reason why we play the game. Otherwise it's pure deathmatch. Like I said this game will always be about killing and never about surviving until a concept like this is implemented.

• Like 1

These are things that are outside of the player's control too! It's not like you can get worse at these things, everyone starts from the same baseline. It could just shorten the time it takes to complete the animation. Or, if you want to go a bit further, it could increase the chance of success in completing certain actions. Either way, you'd still be able to kill folks just as well.

Adding significance to getting killed is just as significant as discouraging pervasive KOS. There should be a consequence for everything you do, in every category.

Either you make these processes (i.e. bandaging, reloading, bloodbagging, etc.) more involved in terms of input so that one player can be better than another at bandaging, which usually results in a sort of mini-game (which could work). Or you implement a gradual improvement system through repetition, which resets (just like everything else) upon death.

Edited by Katana67

These are things that are outside of the player's control too! It's not like you can get worse at these things, everyone starts from the same baseline. It could just shorten the time it takes to complete the animation. Or, if you want to go a bit further, it could increase the chance of success in completing certain actions. Either way, you'd still be able to kill folks just as well.

Adding significance to getting killed is just as significant as discouraging pervasive KOS. There should be a consequence for everything you do, in every category.

Either you make these processes (i.e. bandaging, reloading, bloodbagging, etc.) more involved in terms of input so that one player can be better than another at bandaging, which usually results in a sort of mini-game (which could work). Or you implement a gradual improvement system through repetition.

The only reason for not liking this concept is being a pure deathmatcher who doesn't care about survival at all.

Either you make these processes (i.e. bandaging, reloading, bloodbagging, etc.) more involved in terms of input so that one player can be better than another at bandaging, which usually results in a sort of mini-game (which could work). Or you implement a gradual improvement system through repetition.

No! No mini-games please. I don't want to sit and fiddle with that in the middle of a gun-fight  :(

No! No mini-games please. I don't want to sit and fiddle with that in the middle of a gun-fight  :(

See Gears of War reloading as a potential example. It doesn't have to be a cumbersome mini-game, nobody said that. Mini-games aren't by definition difficult to navigate. Again, reading retrospective precedent into hypothetical implementation as a detriment, isn't helpful.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

I think he's imagining a game of Tetris or something, as opposed to one or two well-timed/placed clicks. 

Actually, that's quite the idea, having to complete a round of Tetris in order to reload your gun. 

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 2