SmashT

December Round-up: ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE SA

What are the biggest issues in your eyes with the hive system? Exploits in PVP? Easier servers to loot? Server hopping in barracks? No control over server economy?

The loot one is a big one, especially in terms of the new global loot list/control. It would allow folks to potentially stack the deck in terms of loot on one server after having farmed and/or looted with minimal risk on an empty server. Whereas if the servers are locked, one cannot bring in loot to said server. It's a problem with how the servers are done (i.e. segmented) and the presence of both persistent and fixed server resources.

Regarding multiple characters:

I am strictly against it... I log out at Stary Sobor on sunday night? I want to respawn again at Stary Sobor on friday evening. No matter which server I enter. I want to continue with my character and continue to write my DayZ story.

The problem of server-hopping should be targeted on different ancles. First, make it that tents are not accessible to the player who set them up once he died. Once he died, leave the tent active for 24 hours in case other players find it. This will reduce a lot of the heavy gearing of people (besides, maybe even reducing PvP as gearing up again is the same for everyone).

Maybe it's possible to create "zones" on the map on which server hopping is randomized. For example, somebody that is on a full server at the airfield and wants to switch to a server with lower player numbers, to loot with ease, gets respawned in a radius of 1 kilometer of his location. Same should apply for any building, as in "you cannot respawn inside a building you logged off. This would greatly reduce stream snipers or guys that go to locations on other servers on which they know a sniper is located, just to spawn near them.

But DON'T, and I cannot say it too many times, allow multiple characters. If anything is as much as immersion breaking, it's having multiple characters.

I don't agree with it being immersion breaking. Having to cross servers, logging in and out, is much more immersion breaking to me. I mean, you actually break up your gameplay.

The game is what you make it. If you put more time into it, you're going to get more out of it. The game shouldn't be structured around accommodating people who have little time to play it. That said, those people can still play it, you've just got to be aware of that and play accordingly. And, again, it's more a fault of the server structure that you'd have to reset your position more than anything else. If you want to continue your character at Stary Sobor that you left, then log into the same server, it's a fairly simple solution. Nothing's preventing you from doing that in this instance. I am sort of starting to subscribe to Rocket's logic of "make the player count bigger so that we no longer need server persistent characters".

I think that your tent idea is incomplete. What if one has friends? Those friends could offload the loot from a tent into their own. Killed person gets a new tent, cycle repeats. Tents need to disappear when you die. But again, this is one of those cases where the system itself needs to be changed. Otherwise, you're short-changing the server persistent items (like tents, storage containers, and any form of construction they plan on implementing). That and there's no reason that one couldn't access his or her tent after dying, so why would you? What would it say "Sorry, you died. You can no longer use your hands to open this tent that is clearly here". That is a far more immersion breaking solution in my mind.

I don't care much for the "no respawn inside buildings" deal. That really doesn't bother me that people can spawn inside buildings. That and 1km ain't that far to run, so it's nothing like the hassle (and danger) of having to spawn on the coast on every swap. That and absolutely NOTHING should be done to accommodate "streamers", nothing. If you willingly broadcast your location to the masses, you are liable to get shot. One cannot endorse a "meta-game" (i.e. TS, forum trading, radio, cross-server characters) and discard the "meta-game" that is stream sniping because it's annoying. I find all but one of the previously mentioned "meta-games" annoying and would be willing to have it be server-specific as well (i.e. radio stations).

This game is about social interaction....trading points and markets, spreading deseases, radio stations, news papers, medical centers, slave markets etc etc etc. Limiting this to one server only would make a lot of the new features more or less obsolete and prevent possible interesting scenarios. Chasing the crazy axe murder on server x , visiting the market on server y and getting medical help from the trusted field medics on server z...I want to do this with my current character.Absolutely agree with Sensemann...multiple characters are an immersion breaking pain in the behind. 

It wouldn't make them obsolete, it would limit them to the server. The systems still exist. One can still have a "market" on server X, spread diseases on server X, have a radio station on server X, etc.

Again, if they're going to have segmented servers they have to treat them as such. If one is going to make the case for cross-server characters, then one has to enter into a conversation about how the server structure/paradigm is going to be reworked.

Rocket mentioned stashing loot in the apartment blocks but what would be the point if someone could just server hop and steal everything you hid.  There definately has to be barriers to changing server.

Disabling logging out and in inside buildings would be helpful.  Short 10min timeouts help too.  No one would wait ten minutes between their barracks runs.  

I think spawning on the coast at every swap is the base and most effective method of countering the detriments of cross-server characters. It has a consequence. You do not get immediate access to your location on server X and you have to contend with the potential clusterfuck on the coast. That and even if one just keeps swapping from empty server to empty server, one has to constantly make the trek to find loot.

One man one stash only....if you die your stuff goes with you ...spawning on a new server should always be at the coast... things can be simple :-)

Agreed. Although I'm not sure about one stash. I'd rather have no limit on stashes, but have it all disappear upon the player's death. Perhaps a good compromise would be to have player stashes linger, but once you die your stash (and the items inside) gradually decay. It would have to be on a relatively fast timer.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3

I don't get why people keep hoping that every new day is the day SA is coming out.  I think Rocket would state in advance when it's coming out.

On the contrary, I believe the game will be released under everyone's nose and it won't be announced in advance.  I search the Steam store once a day for DayZ.  

Edited by twinturbonet
  • Like 4

yea loot harvesting on an empty server is a problem, good point.

I would still perfer to see a way to make server hopping work by allowing a player to stay in their map spot (especially since the map is so enormous and it takes so much time and energy to get to some places) and retain their gear.

There must be a happy medium.  I play with my son at various locations - we play at my office sometimes, sometimes at home, other guys at the office play also - we might not play for a week - I don't even remember the server I played on last, we are on different computers a lot (speaking of the original vanilla Dayz here).

Would be a real bummer to be crafting an excellent story - fight up to NWAF - come back a day later and be somewhere on the coast, gearless

I guess you end up either catering more to the casual player or the hardcore player base in how you handle it

Edited by oompah

I know a big problem for us was just getting conencted to a server and that server being online - we might have started on US 69 but tomorrow find it's offline etc...

Or we are playing and suddenly our ping is 2000 ms and we had to get off - we might have spent an hour or two JUST getting together and meeting up.  That was always a big pain for us - work is over and we wanted to play Dayz for a few hours - how long was it going to take just to team up and find each other.  If when you switch servers you are randomly coast bound without gear - man that would suck

I just wanted to point out a possible reason people are gettig pissy about the payday masks etc. Simple, TF2 hats and feeling like the war z. One of the cosmetic things ( among the other 1 million things i hated about that game, ) is idiots running round looking like they literally stepped out of a circus. It feels cheap. 

Edited by triggy89
  • Like 2

I just wanted to point out a possible reason people are gettig pissy about the payday masks etc. Simple, TF2 hate and feeling like the war z. One of the cosmetic things ( among the other 1 million things i hated about that game, ) is idiots running round looking like they literally stepped out of a circus. It feels cheap. 

Hello there

I see your point, but in reality the masks are such a tiny aspect of the game. Tbh I dont think you'll see as much of them as you have in screenshots when you are truly ingame.

I understand why folk are frothing at the mouth, but have a little faith, it wont be a TF2 wacky hatfest.

There will be folk in pants though.

it is inevetaburu.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 4

Hello there

I see your point, but in reality the masks are such a tiny aspect of the game. Tbh I dont think you'll see as much of them as you have in screenshots when you are truly ingame.

I understand why folk are frothing at the mouth, but have a little faith, it wont be a TF2 wacky hatfest.

There will be folk in pants though.

it is inevetaburu.

Rgds

LoK

Im not too bothered either way, its jsut the line fo thought, and it does to a degree feel like a silly addition that could have been as easily left out rather than added in.

Either way...meh

• Like 2

I just wanted to point out a possible reason people are gettig pissy about the payday masks etc. Simple, TF2 hats and feeling like the war z. One of the cosmetic things ( among the other 1 million things i hated about that game, ) is idiots running round looking like they literally stepped out of a circus. It feels cheap. 

I still like the option.  Just hope they are not everywhere, which I doubt they will be.  

Or we are playing and suddenly our ping is 2000 ms and we had to get off - we might have spent an hour or two JUST getting together and meeting up.  That was always a big pain for us - work is over and we wanted to play Dayz for a few hours - how long was it going to take just to team up and find each other.  If when you switch servers you are randomly coast bound without gear - man that would suck

Don't play DayZ when you're working :lol: DayZ is a hardcore game.

• Like 1

yea loot harvesting on an empty server is a problem, good point.

I would still perfer to see a way to make server hopping work by allowing a player to stay in their map spot (especially since the map is so enormous and it takes so much time and energy to get to some places) and retain their gear.

There must be a happy medium.  I play with my son at various locations - we play at my office sometimes, sometimes at home, other guys at the office play also - we might not play for a week - I don't even remember the server I played on last, we are on different computers a lot (speaking of the original vanilla Dayz here).

Would be a real bummer to be crafting an excellent story - fight up to NWAF - come back a day later and be somewhere on the coast, gearless

I guess you end up either catering more to the casual player or the hardcore player base in how you handle it

I honestly do not intend to be condescending when I say this, and would like to address your critique wholly, but is it so difficult to keep track of what server you're playing on? I remember this being a big deal back in the day before mods and private hives. It would solve nearly every problem you outline. I used to write it down on a piece of paper, and now you've got DayZ Commander's favorites function.

But the problem is that servers (as per the current paradigm) do not last very long given the migratory status of players who can just jump ship whenever they wish. I feel this is adequately demonstrated in private hives, I've been playing on the same private hive server in Overwatch for three months. I've never played on the same vanilla server for anything longer than a few weeks (although I'm sure some of those servers are going strong). I don't play that often anymore, maybe once a week or so.

I completely understand the significance to you in having a flexible (what I'd term "convenient") system. I do not mean to do a disservice to your particular experience, but to me it's just anecdotal evidence. I'd much rather have a better system which is more accommodating to the game than the needs of the players.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

-snip-

People of the Earth, listen to this man. 

No, I'm not sucking up. Quite the contrary; my ego is inflating as my thoughts pour out of your mouth (but in a coherent way). 

The sense of community brought about by private hives really does enhance the game. Instead of trying to explain it, I'll just use anecdotes. 

Individual players can easily develop their own personas and be reputed by most other players. Where everyone is generally a stranger to each-other on public hives, on private hives you take into account that people you treat rightly will certainly remember you and return the favor if you run into them again... Or not. I remember a man on a private hive who people reffered to as the "Bear man". He was your beard-sporting, survivalist lone wolf who'd take no sides in any conflict and was generally friendly. I met him on several accounts; it's very thrilling than running into an acquaintance in-game. On the flip side, you had your notorious serial killers whom people feared. 

Factions, however, are where private hives really shine. I used to play with a group called the Justiciars on a few private hives. Our "mandate" was to hunt down and kill bandits, while pretty much disregarding anyone else. We established our own "laws", and people who violated them were summarily executed. Our modus operandi was to stalk players and hold them at gunpoint, killing them if they resisted or were known bandits (we kept a list), but in every instance we made sure they remembered us. Crippled legs, "repossessed" loot and other such things were commonplace. We were your stereotypical image of an abusive, occupying army. After harassing a dozen or so players at gunpoint, people started to take notice. Some other groups and individuals sided with us while others formed with the sole purpose of kicking our asses (which they did). 

Point is, that server had a dynamic beyond zombies, survivors, bandits. It became much more complex and added a whole new dimension to the game that only private servers ever manage to exploit. One day, I'd like to join a server, with a new character, and have to learn the ropes of that particular server.

Just think of the Walking Dead comics. 

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 4

Breaking Point mod on Arma 3 already does what they called "anti-ghosting" system.
Players can't reconnect to another server without waiting 15min. I like it. 
It reduce this problem when players want to leave a possible PvP situation & it clearly struggle against the fact that some of us want to loot without danger on another empty server.

So, Who else is very giddy that there is a picture of a very STALKER escue Looking man giving us the bird posted?

(I meant to post this a few days ago but I had work)

STALKER looking gear confirmed for SA <3

• Like 2

Maybe like couple servers could be connected to each other so if one is full you can just go on other. I agree private hives made it interesting because it's one character per server.

So, Who else is very giddy that there is a picture of a very STALKER escue Looking man giving us the bird posted?

(I meant to post this a few days ago but I had work)

STALKER looking gear confirmed for SA <3

Love the STALKER outfits, environment, sounds, music... very eerie and one of the best.  It really puts you in the game.

I also like the fact that the gas masks will help prevent your character from contracting diseases.   

• Like 2

That already exists. Express bullet trade, you simple load your desired bullet of exchange into your prefered firearm and you "trade" directly with the player.

Currency would be sweet, maybe a stalker type shop

get out of here

sorry what do you mean by get out of here? are you having a dig at me or is it some in joke i'm missing?

As Dean said, they will implement a character skill system (hell f*cking yes Dean!), so your character gets better and better the more he does something (similar to Skyrim or Project Zomboid). Right now they just planned to do this with medical treatment and so on. If you want to treat a wound, the first times you do this it could fail or you could do it wrong so it harms the player. The more viruses you survived, the better is your immune system. I hope he will implement a "repair" skill system etc. but that is unknown. Anyways, this character skill system will improve the value of the player and not some artificial distance he ran.

that doesn't disprove all my points. lol. yes it gives value to the player but you still have to think about why people would want to go north when they can head off to the massive city right at the bottom of the map, where everything happens because everyone goes there.

Hm, giving out the Server Files to private persons increases the risk of manipulation and cheatdevelopement in my eyes. would rather see them in secure hands, but managable with plugins by the owner.

Edited by Sloddor
  • Like 2

*sig

From an NYC child of the 80's.

Live version for your dome.

I want Resident Evil clothing (you Stalker bois are too "loud").

STARS uniforms.

Resident Evil started it all gadies and lentlemen.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 2

The Message is one of the best Rap song ever. All :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: belongs to you.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 2

Capital of the World!

A great song about a great city during a rough period in it's recent history.

P.S.: Please keep sending us your cheddar, we like to stay extra sharp. ;)

OT, I really would like to keep content from other titles out as much as possible, unless they have a real world analog but the central point in an argument like this (IMO) is that it's a game meant to be fun and masks and some costumes can be just that, fun.

so apparently...STREAMS!

yeah and drugs are really more or less confirmed. 

Dean really dropped some bombs on 4chan.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

Early Access : Multi-player : Bohemia Interactive

No results were returned for that query.

DG7qBQo.jpg

• Like 2