SmashT

November Round-up

Has anyone ever had a chance to try the Oculus Rift?

It's a strange coincidence that I was just looking for such a device in another context (360° pano photos) and then to find it in this forum.

Can it be used with any POV style game or does it need to be optimized for it?

You can use it with any POV, and there are 3rd party apps that allows you to play lots of games which never were intended to play with Oculus. But if the game isn't optimised for Oculus Rift you'll most likely get motion sickness and the game itself is still looking pretty good, but not as good as the ones that were dedicated for Oculus.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever had a chance to try the Oculus Rift?

It's a strange coincidence that I was just looking for such a device in another context (360° pano photos) and then to find it in this forum.

Can it be used with any POV style game or does it need to be optimized for it?

I've got one (dev kit). And DayZ will be terrifying with a Rift. I'm looking forward to it. I've played a few of the horror demos that are out for the Rift, and you wouldn't believe how scary it us when you feel like you're surrounded by the environment. It's uncanny. When you play these scenarios on the monitor, they're nothing. Then put on the Rift, and the same scenario is absolutely terrifying. DayZ will be a completely different experience using a Rift.

The Oculus Rift website says the ArmA2 has already been optimized or the rift, but I Haven't tried it yet with the Dev Kit. Reason being, the resolution on the dev kit version is two low to be able to play games like ArmA/DayZ. I'll

Still probably give it a whirl though, just to get a sense. Thankfully, the production version of the Rift will have a much higher resolution than the Dev kits do.

• Like 1

Because everyone jumped in there and started typing random incomprehensible bull shit until it drove Hicks crazy. Mob mentality is horrible. I watched the chat for like thirty seconds last night before I lost faith in humanity. I then played Project Zomboid and died over and over and over and over, but I know how to cook food now. For crying out loud that game is HARD.

This would be reasonable, except for the fact you can join the DayZ group chat without being in the group or being on the group page. On top of that, he could have just locked the chat itself or even set it to moderator only while he removed the spammers. Stupid solutions to stupid problems I guess, though.

You can use it with any POV, and there are 3rd party apps that allows you to play lots of games which never were intended to play with Oculus. But if the game isn't optimised for Oculus Rift you'll most likely get motion sickness and the game itself is still looking pretty good, but not as good as the ones that were dedicated for Oculus.

Sounds great, dzięki za poinformowanie! ;)

The motion sickness part is exactly what I'm afraid of. Even when playing an optimized game.

Being visually isolated from the natural world can't be good over a longer period of time.

But who cares?  It would be perfect with DayZ nevertheless. \

I hope they'll optimize it for that device later on (and reintroduce 1st person only servers).

I've got one (dev kit). And DayZ will be terrifying with a Rift. I'm looking forward to it. I've played a few of the horror demos that are out for the Rift, and you wouldn't believe how scary it us when you feel like you're surrounded by the environment. It's uncanny. When you play these scenarios on the monitor, they're nothing. Then put on the Rift, and the same scenario is absolutely terrifying. DayZ will be a completely different experience using a Rift.

The Oculus Rift website says the ArmA2 has already been optimized or the rift, but I Haven't tried it yet with the Dev Kit. Reason being, the resolution on the dev kit version is two low to be able to play games like ArmA/DayZ. I'll

Still probably give it a whirl though, just to get a sense. Thankfully, the production version of the Rift will have a much higher resolution than the Dev kits do.

Awesome, now I'm almost sure to get it when it production version comes out...and a pack of napkins with it. :D

Hicks, a hero that chernarus deserves.

Punching confirmed for the SA.

It actually is. Hicks said that it's his favourite "weapon".

• Like 1

It actually is. Hicks said that it's his favourite "weapon".

he once knocked out 10 men at a single blow - a true legend to chernarus

edit: proof!

I -have- angered about 13 testers by having them spawn in, and knocking them all out before they loaded in all the way.

source:http://www.reddit.com/r/DayZBulletin/comments/1qixu9/hicks_on_dayz_performance/cddc8sw

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

he once knocked out 10 men at a single blow - a true legend to chernarus

really? ZzzzZz

Off topic but I just. can't. help it. This should give all you wonderful geeks something to focus on for at least two minutes while we wait on this bad-ass-mofo-tojo game to arrive. Enjoy.

http://geektyrant.com/news/pokemon-themed-ladies-panties

EDIT: Pokemon was after my time so I didn't really play it.

Edited by DrGonzo

This thread is really slow today, I guess everyone's just F5ing and hoping for the release. Personally, Armored Transport DLC for Payday 2 comes out tomorrow, that'll hold me over for awhile.

I've been focusing my efforts on a few BF forums, as I'll have my PS4 hopefully by the end of the month and will finally be able to play BF4.

DayZ SA release would help fill that gap though.

I really enjoy reading Hick's enthusiasm, these guys are really proud of their game, it will be worth the wait and after release will get better and better.

The rest will be up to us :)

• Like 1

I picked up Project Zomboid per Rocket's recommendation. It is really really good. It's hard as hell. Can't wait to see what the NPCs add to the game.

I picked up Project Zomboid per Rocket's recommendation. It is really really good. It's hard as hell. Can't wait to see what the NPCs add to the game.

I have been contemplating on buying it myself but so far I only have the demo. It is quite addicting.

• Like 1

Anyone know if they've tested with 50+ people yet ?

The peak was last week at 29 players. They haven't gotten close to that this week as far as I can tell. I hope the test is right around the corner. Seems like a weekend would be a good time for a test that large. It would be easier to get everyone available at the same time. Not sure though.

I have been contemplating on buying it myself but so far I only have the demo. It is quite addicting.

Do it. I don't regret it at all. Fifteen bucks, I spend that on a mediocre movie at the theater, this will provide you with hours and hours of entertainment. The health system is complex. I can't wait to get off work and play it again tonight.

Personally my record in PZ is an on-going game of 11 days, and that's nothing. It's really rewarding when you start getting a hang of things.

• Like 2