SmashT

November Round-up

I dont know whether that Post is good or bad news, great to see Rocket posted it here in the Forums first to the people that matter :lol:

However it's great to see him releasing some info at the least. This didnt come across good " Overall, the feedback from the testers is that performance is much smoother than with the mod." Well I fucking would hope it is or whats the point in making it

Edited by YZ250

"Overall, the feedback from the testers is that performance is much smoother than with the mod."

Well I fucking would hope it is or whats the point in making it

They could've tried and failed at making it perform better than the mod.  They didn't, and it does.

How does that not come across as good?

• Like 1

Oh boy I sence what we get with the alpha oh boy :blush: .

They better not release it till next year.

Well this year isn't over yet and I'm well sure that Rocket's priority is not delaying it by next year. He did say once the network bubble was finished they would work on a release and this is what they're doing.

It is an alpha after all and people are excited to play an alpha. 

They could've tried and failed at making it perform better than the mod.  They didn't, and it does.

How does that not come across as good?

HUH ? Thought it would be quite obvious, you set about creating something better than was there before , it goes without saying yet he said it, which makes you think there were times when the Performance was going to be less then the Mod

So basically it's going to be December and possibly in to next year... dammit, I thought we would see it pretty soon :/

• Like 4

HUH ? Thought it would be quite obvious, you set about creating something better than was there before , it goes without saying yet he said it, which makes you think there were times when the Performance was going to be less then the Mod

When you set out for something, you don't necessarily know it will work.  Be glad that it did.

Update status. performance still very poor.

• Like 3

So basically it's going to be December and possibly in to next year... dammit, I thought we would see it pretty soon :/

Eh, we don't know that. It just depends on how long it takes to resolve the issues that are holding them back. Could be a couple weeks, could be a month or so.

• Like 1

We have now something that provides basic functionality for 10-20 players.

Ohh boy, the train derailed, left the tracks, smashed into another train and killed everyone on board.

2014 does seem likely again and I was so hungry to eat my words.

ehvtRlQ.jpg

• Like 7

Eh, we don't know that. It just depends on how long it takes to resolve the issues that are holding them back. Could be a couple weeks, could be a month or so.

Let's be honest with ourselves, it could be 6 months or more for all we know.

• Like 1

Nah I thought that the performance issues wouldn't be too bad but clearly they can't get over 30 ish players without really bad frame rate, that isn't something that is going to be fixed over night. Look at a singleplayer game like Skyrim, took Bethesda months with a huge team to nail down their performance issues :( They're creating servers for 150 players... only 30 is bad news.

It's only my opinion anyway

Edited by Owain1122

It's official, the only thing holding the release now is performance. 

Good Lord Almighty. All this staying up till 6am yesterday and behavior like it, and now it's probably a 2014 release.

I don't know how to feel. On one hand it's good that Rocket (FINALLY!!!!) let us know that we need to wait at least a month, and on the other hand... who wants to wait a month?

• Like 4

Thank god rocket posted something.

Now I feel relieved, and calm. Happy that they addressed the situation.

im gonna miss making silly pictures though

• Like 1

I will not play it with a "minimum of 15 fps" that is not acceptable to me at all no way ?

People will hate it with that average fps pls fix that first.

• Like 1

Nah I thought that the performance issues wouldn't be too bad but clearly they can't get over 30 ish players without really bad frame rate, that isn't something that is going to be fixed over night. Look at a singleplayer game like Skyrim, took Bethesda months with a huge team to nail down their performance issues :( They're creating servers for 150 players... only 30 is bad news.

It's only my opinion anyway

SERVER frame rate. Server. Not Client. And seriously, 150 players is expecting way too much. Please open DayZ commander and show me a server with 150 players, and I will personally mail you a cookie.

• Like 2

I will not play it with a "minimum of 15 fps" that is not acceptable to me at all no way ?

People will hate it with that average fps pls fix that first.

He's talking about SERVER framerate, people.

calm_the_fuck_down_by_mooh438.jpg

It's just a speed bump. We'll get through this.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 3

And server framerates affect the very client itself, when the server is supposed to synchronize with the clients, do collision detection, and a bunch of other heavy-duty stuff.

• Like 1

This. Arma's server fps can be even worse than that 15 and you're still all playing it like you don't notice it.

Of course it got some effect on client but it's not even close to the 1:1. People are telling that they get even better framerates than in A2 mod so it's very far...

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 1

SERVER frame rate. Server. Not Client. And seriously, 150 players is expecting way too much. Please open DayZ commander and show me a server with 150 players, and I will personally mail you a cookie.

I understand that, I'm talking about how difficult performance issues can be in general. Wait who is even talking about the mod? I'm talking about the standalone which will be hosting servers up to 150 players, then added to the fact that their test server is 150 players? I thought Rocket had mentioned that number multiple times now?

So I was saying march 2014 soonest now I tend to even take that back and say way further down the road it may release ...... at some point

I understand that, I'm talking about how difficult performance issues can be in general. Wait who is even talking about the mod? I'm talking about the standalone which will be hosting servers up to 150 players, then added to the fact that their test server is 150 players? I thought Rocket had mentioned that number multiple times now?

No. The expectation is 50-60 players per server, and this is all we should be expecting. I don't know where everyone is getting this 150 player number from. Just because that is technically the Arma 2 server cap doesn't mean it's feasible. Perhaps after more development we could see such numbers on a very robust server, but I highly doubt it. No game of this caliber has ever been able to support 150 players on a server.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 1

No. The expectation is 50-60 players per server, and this is all we should be expecting. I don't know where everyone is getting this 150 player number from. Just because that is technically the Arma 2 server cap doesn't mean it's feasible.

I'm pretty sure Rocket said during Gamescom that they were aiming for a 150 players server, but I'm starting to think that may be a full release target.

off post topic

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1q7bcs/teased_tormented_abusedcome_on_rocket_and_co_give/cd9z0pm

'[–]rocket2gunsRocket [score hidden]

1 second

ago

People will read into anything. And actually, I'm not saying it will definitely be weeks. Today it almost looked like we had reached the performance target, but the bug we fixed had a more subtle bug hiding behind it.''

Edited by Owain1122
  • Like 4