El Lobo (DayZ)

Disable Teamspeak?

Just letting everyone know I did search the forums before this, and found a few things similar but not exactly the same. If there is something like that, my apologies :) This is my first post on the DayZ Mod official forums, but I have used other DayZ forums quite a lot and played way too much DayZ than I care to admit, so I'm no Zombie Bait :)

Is it possible to disable TeamSpeak, Ventrillo, Skype, and other programs like this so people then HAVE to use in-game chat to talk. Like possibly having the server kick them if they are running one of these programs at the same time they are in a server or trying to join one? Or possibly have a list of the only programs that are allowed to be ran at the same time you are in a mod/server? Not saying this would be right for every server or mod out there, but forcing people to use in-game voice would be very unique and fun experience for those who want a more realistic feel. Think of how they handle things in DayRP, but without the roleplaying.

Why would you want to do this you ask? Well think about how much more interactions with people you will have and how different those interactions would be. A lot of times groups use TeamSpeak in DayZ, making it easier for them to communicate and gang-up on people who aren't in a group. If a group comes along a random survivor, they could act friendly, but at the same time be talking about killing them or double-crossing them with their group in TeamSpeak. It really breaks the immersion when people have this telepathic communication where they can speak to each other right in front of you and you can't hear it. This way you would be able to hear everything they are saying to each other if you are close enough. If they are trying to plan something, they would need to step away and go somewhere private to discuss things, and would seem sketchy to the person who's not in the group. This also opens up the possibility for spying. A group could be in their base discussing their next course of action or what they have, and someone could be right outside the door or wall listening in like you should be able to. It just opens up more possibilities and adds to the immersion in DayZ.

I also think for a system like this to work the in-game chat would have to be changed. For this to be the most realistic Side-chat would need to be completely disabled and there would need to be different levels of how loud a person is speaking, and how far their voice carries. Below is my idea's for these, but they're all pretty self-explanatory.

Whispering-  the quietest way to speak, can only be heard from 1-2 meters away and is toned down so it is harder to hear for the people who are in-range

Normal - The way you would usually talk, settings should be about the same as Direct is currently.

Yelling - Can be heard from much farther away than Normal, but the farther away you get the softer it is. Should sound like it's echoing from a distance.

Radios - Rocket has talked about adding radios to the game. I think this would be a great replacement for side-chat and teamspeak, and means that someone could be listening in to what you're saying if they found what frequency you're using! You would want to watch what you say, and smart groups would use codes for important information!

So there's my question/suggestion. Please let me know what you think and if this is even possible smile.png

• Like 1

To easy to get around man

is it possible to disable TeamSpeak, Ventrillo, Skype, and other programs like this so people then HAVE to use in-game chat to talk. Like possibly having the server kick them if they are running one of these programs at the same time they are in a server or trying to join one? Or possibly have a list of the only programs that are allowed to be ran at the same time you are in a mod/server? Not saying this would be right for every server or mod out there, but forcing people to use in-game voice would be very unique and fun experience for those who want a more realistic feel. Think of how they handle things in DayRP, but without the roleplaying.

I could just run TS/Skype/Vent off my laptop/phone/tablet/other electronic device that supports it, kind of a cheap way to get around it but still, I'm just stating the obvious.

It's not technically possible to prevent players from using third-party software.

No matter what, other players will do whatever they can to get an advantage - the includes using a second device purely to handle chat if they had to.

Some people just can't play on an even playing field.

Edited by Rossums
  • Like 1

Just saying, if I had to shut off communication with all of my friends just to add a little bit of realism to a game, I wouldn't play it at all. It's sacrificing a major convenience to quell a minor annoyance.

• Like 3

Like I said this isn't for everybody and not all mods or servers would want to do this, but there are players out there who DO want a system like this. I for one, am one of those people :)

• Like 1

I dont like the disable Teamspeak idea but i do like the whispering/yelling thing a lot, that would be cool to whisper sweet nothings into someones ear before the sweet release XD

That's a good point about people using a second device, but if this were possible it would more than likely cut the numbers of people using ts or something along the lines down to a few. This also doesn't mean this is a perfect system, but better than the way it is now (if you're looking for a harder more immersive experience) and the server owners/admins could kick/ban people on their own servers if they want to if they suspect people using a way around this.

Like I said this isn't for everybody and not all mods or servers would want to do this, but there are players out there who DO want a system like this. I for one, am one of those people :)

me too this :beans:

I realise this never happen for all game :(

but for me is something not good for dayz have impossible communicate power

I like direct only direct :thumbsup:

I sometime going on private hive mess around talk shit in side but is rare I don't do for months this shit :blush:

for me is add realism feel if only direct and this OP idea is make

but give choice for this same like 1st/3rd person, waypoint and also crosshair

make possible true hardcore dayz server exist with no guys have advantage is pure game play by true lover of what dayz can be :thumbsup:  B)

Edited by KoS
  • Like 1

If the voicecodec in the Standalone is better than ARMA, yes. It currently is simply horrible and 90% of the time you don't understand each others anyway.

As others have said before - it's just not enforceable, even if it's technically possible.

At the end of the day, it's a game, and people like to play games with their friends. When I use TS to play with my friend, 90% of the time we're not even talking about DayZ - we're just gabbing on about real life stuff. Whilst there is also a tactical advantage to using TS, it's not an enormous one - it's unlikely to be the sole deciding factor in someone getting killed or not. The sacrifices and hurdles that would be created in order to even try and implement something like this simply aren't worth the negligible benefit it would have on gameplay.

Just to point that out: I wasn't saying "Yes" to disable TS, as I think that's a horrible idea - but I was saying: Yes - I am going to use Direct Chat a bit more, if the SA gets the quality sorted out.

Just have everything spoken into the mike while playing be heard in-game. ArmA should auto detect voice software and transmit it into the game like ACRE does...just a bit more idiot proof.

• Like 2

What's to stop you from talking about that stuff in-game? Like I said before, it's not for everybody, only people who want a more real an immersive experience. Just look at DayZRP, on that you aren't allowed to kill someone before talking to them first and you aren't allowed to use any long distance communication (like ts) unless you have a radio in your tool belt, and look how popular that mod is.

Just have everything spoken into the mike while playing be heard in-game. ArmA should auto detect voice software and transmit it into the game like ACRE does...just a bit more idiot proof.

This is actually another REALLY good idea! although I still think disabling ts if possible would be better, you could use this along with the voice/loudness options. You would have to not have a whisper option, as people would just use that to not be heard, but I like it!

Just saying, if I had to shut off communication with all of my friends just to add a little bit of realism to a game, I wouldn't play it at all. It's sacrificing a major convenience to quell a minor annoyance.

If all my friends had radios? Yeah maybe, but what if they disconnect from the server? We start up a steam chat just to see what happened to them?

Its a game that's fun with friends aswell as interacting, if you stuck someone's mic onto perma whisper... So if they do want to talk at all their mic will pick it up anyway.

What's to stop you from talking about that stuff in-game? Like I said before, it's not for everybody, only people who want a more real an immersive experience. Just look at DayZRP, on that you aren't allowed to kill someone before talking to them first and you aren't allowed to use any long distance communication (like ts) unless you have a radio in your tool belt, and look how popular that mod is.

Not to be an ass, and I freely admit I don't care for the mods of a mod, but I've actually not heard of it, whereas I'm at least aware of the stuff like Origins and Epoch, so I'm not sure it's quite as popular as you think. Either way, I don't have a problem with it in theory, and I understand that you're saying it's not a 'blanket' thing, I'm just pointing out that it's going to be nigh-unenforceable. No matter what you put in place, people will find a way round it, either because they want a tactical advantage, or because they just want to be able to gas with their friends whilst playing the game.

I play BF3 with a small gang of guys, and regularly we'll all be in the same Teamspeak with some playing BF3, some playing DayZ and some playing Payday 2 - there's no tactical advantage to what we're doing there, no rules are being broken, so how are you going to differentiate between that situation and the one of a clan of guys all working together in in-game silence thanks to Teamspeak?

Edited by Target Practice

You don't like the way a certain mod is or a certain server is? Play on a different server. I have said before and I'll say it again, IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE. Just like DayZ isn't for everyone! If you want to play DayZ while talking to your friends who are playing something else, then join another server or another mod. Simple as that.

Dude, chill out. I'm not attacking you, no need to get your back up. I'm just pointing out why it might be kind of tricky to do even on a server-to-server basis, and a few situations where it's not quite as black and white as you seem to think.

I'm not mad and I get what you're saying, but I feel like I have to repeat myself for people to realize it is pretty black and white. Play on a server with this system or don't, your choice.

If all my friends had radios? Yeah maybe, but what if they disconnect from the server? We start up a steam chat just to see what happened to them?

Its a game that's fun with friends aswell as interacting, if you stuck someone's mic onto perma whisper... So if they do want to talk at all their mic will pick it up anyway.

I was moreso referring to friends not playing the game.

I personally hate the idea.

I play DayZ to hang out with friends, and have a good time. Not play for 100% realism bullshit.

I play DayZ to hang out with friends, and have a good time. Not play for 100% realism bullshit.

I concur. 

• Like 1

I love the idea but it is impractical outside of a closed society that enforces the rules themselves. ShackTac does it but otherwise there are too many ways to cheat the system. I can run Skype/Mumble from my phone with earbuds off my network. I will be able to hear what is going on in the game as well. 

If you don't want to play for the "realism bullshit" then go right ahead and play on another server with DMR spawn loadouts and 1000+ vehicles and helis. I for one won't be joining you.

Edited by El Lobo
  • Like 1

I love the idea but it is impractical outside of a closed society that enforces the rules themselves. ShackTac does it but otherwise there are too many ways to cheat the system. I can run Skype/Mumble from my phone with earbuds off my network. I will be able to hear what is going on in the game as well. 

That's what I've been saying. This won't work by itself, it would need to have admins enforcing it on their server. Think of how DayZRP handles things. It would be like that a little bit, but no roleplaying.