TheShine299

Admin Abuse and How to stop it.

I was watching some DayZ videos and after I finished it, I saw a video called "DayZ Admin Abuse!!!" and after watching it, I saw many other videos saying the same thing.

DAYZ ADMIN ABUSE.

I am aware that this happens in every game, but DayZ is a really good mod and it should NOT have this kind of thing.

Now, STORY TIME.

Once upon a time... I was at Cherno (I don't remember the Server name because it was a really long time ago) and I was looting the north Hospital. After a few minutes, I heard an ATV coming, and on top of it, there were two guys, both in Soldier Uniforms and with HUGE guns. They just came to me and shot me. I was pissed off because I was A FRESH SPAWN, I HAD NOTHING. So I went to Side Chat and asked who were those guys killing unarmed players on Cherno and why they looked like soldiers.

A guy came and said that they weren't Hackers, just the admins having fun. I asked why did they kill me, I was only a Fresh Spawn, I couldn't kill them... And even if I could, they could just Spawn everything back in.
The two admins came on the Chat and said that I was butthurting because I died and that I should be a better player. I just logged off and never joined back in.

I don't think this will stop, there's always going to be some prick trying to mess with people, but I think that taking OFF the Unofficial servers and leaving only the Official ones would be a great idea.

So that no bastard could create a random server lying on the name (Example: Saying that there are 1000 cars, but only having 100 just for attention. YES. IT HAPPENED BEFORE.) and asking for a billion dollars of donations so he gives you an AS50.

What do YOU think?

It's true that there is a lot of poorly run servers out there with admins that abuse their power, but i fail to see how your example story qualifies as admin abuse.

• Like 3

How to stop admin abuse:

Wait, how do I post a picture?

fak.

In the meantime, USE THE BANHAMMER. That's one of the best ways to stop admin abuse. Learned from personal experience when one of my admins shut the server down because he was killed.

I jumped on a server once with "active" admins.  I climbed a building in Cherno as a plane was doing some fly bys.  I decided what the hell so began firing on the plane.  The plane banked away and suddenly a fully geared player appeared out of nowhere to my right atop the building and riddled me with bullets.

Now that is admin abuse.

• Like 3

Your example wasn't even an example of admin abuse. You don't know if the gear was spawned in or found legitimately.

They just killed you on sight, like 99% of the other players with a gun you'd run into. 

• Like 1

Just play somewhere else.

Some people are just unable to properly administrate or moderate people - pretty sad really.

• Like 1

easy to stop this B)

I make suggest topic for this one last week  ;)

make guys register before they having server :D

issue permit make them sign agreement no cheat :P

give access to dev team for all server logs/files no announce need :thumbsup:  :)

find cheat??? LIFE BAN NO MERCY >:(

Edited by KoS
  • Like 1

'Twas hardly an act of Administrator abuse.

Edited by Inception.

I was watching some DayZ videos and after I finished it, I saw a video called "DayZ Admin Abuse!!!" and after watching it, I saw many other videos saying the same thing.

DAYZ ADMIN ABUSE.

I am aware that this happens in every game, but DayZ is a really good mod and it should NOT have this kind of thing.

Now, STORY TIME.

Once upon a time... I was at Cherno (I don't remember the Server name because it was a really long time ago) and I was looting the north Hospital. After a few minutes, I heard an ATV coming, and on top of it, there were two guys, both in Soldier Uniforms and with HUGE guns. They just came to me and shot me. I was pissed off because I was A FRESH SPAWN, I HAD NOTHING. So I went to Side Chat and asked who were those guys killing unarmed players on Cherno and why they looked like soldiers.

A guy came and said that they weren't Hackers, just the admins having fun. I asked why did they kill me, I was only a Fresh Spawn, I couldn't kill them... And even if I could, they could just Spawn everything back in.

The two admins came on the Chat and said that I was butthurting because I died and that I should be a better player. I just logged off and never joined back in.

I don't think this will stop, there's always going to be some prick trying to mess with people, but I think that taking OFF the Unofficial servers and leaving only the Official ones would be a great idea.

So that no bastard could create a random server lying on the name (Example: Saying that there are 1000 cars, but only having 100 just for attention. YES. IT HAPPENED BEFORE.) and asking for a billion dollars of donations so he gives you an AS50.

What do YOU think?

Wait? This is ingame admin abuse, pity...

I thought this was a solution to the forums.

• Like 1

Please stop going there. It is getting rather tiresome. 

• Like 2

Wait? This is ingame admin abuse, pity...

I'd probably listen to Inception. - some of the mods are pretty antsy at the moment and you don't want any shiny warning points. :)

Just vent through PM or somewhere else or you will no doubt get a ban for it.

Admin abuse is still a problem on a lot of servers though (Including the Public Hive) you really just have to research a server before you play, bit of a PITA but it's better than wasting time on a server and finding out afterwards.

Edited by Rossums

Your example wasn't even an example of admin abuse. You don't know if the gear was spawned in or found legitimately.

They just killed you on sight, like 99% of the other players with a gun you'd run into. 

if you are referring to the initial post:

what has been stated by TheShine299 seems an admin abuse to me.

Logging off and broadcasting the information to other players could be a legitimate initiative to discourage this kind of behaviour.

if you are referring to the initial post:

what has been stated by TheShine299 seems an admin abuse to me.

Logging off and broadcasting the information to other players could be a legitimate initiative to discourage this kind of behaviour.

Thats just the admins being dicks, I agree i'd expect admins to have more respect for the players populating their server. but most people associate admin abuse with cheating and without evidence of cheating its unfair to throw around accusations of admin abuse.

• Like 1

you cant in the mod. you stop it in SA by locking down all the stuff that has ruined the mod.

stop live tools ! worst admin abuse right there . the devs should answer on whether that is in standalone at any point. will they allow other server rental groups tools which make a similar tool ?

tbh if its in SA im out. not interested in the game fullstop ! its that much abused by admins there is no point in playing.

guess well see in SA . until then the mod side of the game remains uninstalled. fingers crossed for a level playing field again.

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 1

dont play there..

simple as that..

just log off and find a new server.

Yep - servers that do this OR don't do anything about hackers you leave behind. That way, all the morons will stay in the ones where the dicks play and hopefully you'll be left with servers that have reasonable people on them.

Solution... don't have admins. The issue is that even official servers are hosted by "people" and for every trustworthy admin who will play level and fair there will be one who will find away to use his ownership of the server to his advantage. 

Looks like, at least at first, Stand Alone might resolve that issue.

A while ago there was a thread from a server-host (sorry, forgot who he was, but maybe someone else remembers too) who had real problems finding people willing to administrate his servers, without playing for themselves. Back than i did not fully understand why, but having had my own servers in the meantime, I now fully do.

One problem I see is the general problem of the possibility to cheat. If you have a server, you can change things, other people cannot change. That ability is tempting. 

The only solution I see to this problem, without restricting private people from having servers, is to make a clear distinction between different types of servers.

"Professional" Servers, with staff taking care of the servers, trying to make the best experience for their customers possible, should be marked different from Privately Owned servers.

Also the statistics to servers should be improved. You should be able to see how long a server is already on, how many people play in average and read/leave comments about your experience on the server. 

I think if people have the chance to get all the information they need to choose a server they like, it will be less of a problem. From what I've read, People playing with large hosters like BMRF usually never complain about abusive admins. I for myself only encountered them on small private servers. 

If there should be a technical barrier implemented, I'd vote for a "clear seperation"-server-mode, meaning that servers that have such a tag, are guarantueed to have a seperation between admin and player accounts and a user that's on the admin-list, will never be allowed to switch to the regular gaming-mode. This of course should be possible to be turned off, but not without people looking at the server-list knowing about it. 

One social barrier I still see is that it is almost a taboo to talk about server-hosters making money off of it. But as a fact, you cannot have someone taking care of your servers 24/7, if you don't pay them for it. Volunteer-systems usually don't work in large scales, at least not without huge problems. I get the problems people have with people "trying to make money of a game they did not contribute to", but even for an organization without profits, that would invest all money earned in servers and people managing them, would have people disagreeing with it.

Until a solution is found, we should remember, that loosing things in dayZ can be painful and having a way to get it back with ease might be despicable, but still is understandable. Not every cheating admin is a bad person, Some just handle loosing things very very badly.

edit: corrected some typos.

Edited by liquidmind
  • Like 1

I don't run that kind of operation, but let me make a few points.

You will always have players who die and blame the admin because they cannot fathom the idea of being found, followed, or simply spotted. For some, being a target of opportunity  = hacker or admin abuse. A good portion of the time when these accusations are made, an admin isn't even on!

Missing vehicles or gear out of a camp? Blame the admin. Nevermind the fact that the mod is glitchy or perhaps other players have stumbled onto your prized fortress. Contrary to popular belief, I don't sit there and figure out ways to piss off a playerbase in the need to fulfill my malicious deeds.

So a player dies and someone on side chat accusses the admin or another player. Good heavens! It must be true because all players on side chat are a reliable source of information. 

I'm not saying there aren't douche admins out there, but I believe alot of the admin witchunting is unfounded based on my observations. Simply put, find another server to play on if your argument is legit. There are alot of servers that are ran well enough without worrying about the drama.

• Like 2

I don't run that kind of operation, but let me make a few points.

You will always have players who die and blame the admin because they cannot fathom the idea of being found, followed, or simply spotted. For some, being a target of opportunity  = hacker or admin abuse. A good portion of the time when these accusations are made, an admin isn't even on!

Missing vehicles or gear out of a camp? Blame the admin. Nevermind the fact that the mod is glitchy or perhaps other players have stumbled onto your prized fortress. Contrary to popular belief, I don't sit there and figure out ways to piss off a playerbase in the need to fulfill my malicious deeds.

So a player dies and someone on side chat accusses the admin or another player. Good heavens! It must be true because all players on side chat are a reliable source of information. 

I'm not saying there aren't douche admins out there, but I believe alot of the admin witchunting is unfounded based on my observations. Simply put, find another server to play on if your argument is legit. There are alot of servers that are ran well enough without worrying about the drama.

Does this go back to the FPS adage of, "When I shoot you it's skill... when you shoot me it's hacks, lag, or some other nefarious doings."?

"Professional" Servers, with staff taking care of the servers, trying to make the best experience for their customers possible, should be marked different from Privately Owned servers.

Also the statistics to servers should be improved.

Huh? I don't run a server like a business with "customers". If paying or "donating" for gear or other perks isn't a conflict of interest, I don't know what is. For this reason, I don't accept donations as players usually expect something in return. 

I think if people have the chance to get all the information they need to choose a server they like, it will be less of a problem. From what I've read, People playing with large hosters like BMRF usually never complain about abusive admins. I for myself only encountered them on small private servers. 

So large hosters don't have issues of admin abuse? I guess you weren't around for The Laughing Man fiasco whose servers were both ranked 1 & 2 during a lengthy period.

Dont play there.

If admins are abusing their power im sure you arent the first time.

The server will turn into a ghost town.

Solution... don't have admins. The issue is that even official servers are hosted by "people" and for every trustworthy admin who will play level and fair there will be one who will find away to use his ownership of the server to his advantage. 

Looks like, at least at first, Stand Alone might resolve that issue.

I've seen a lot of posts in this thread proposing ideas that are outlandishly ridiculous, but this one just blows the rest out of the water. Don't have admins? Seriously? That is the equivalent of saying "there are crooked cops. Therefore we should have no police force". Ok, have fun playing with all the hackers then. You know, the guys that commit admin abuse without being admins.

To be fair, I may be slightly biased in my opinion because I myself am an admin. However, I am a responsible admin. I turn off all tools while I am playing the game as a regular player. However, I will occasionally sit somewhere far away from other players and spectate them to make sure they are abiding by the rules. Most of the time everyone is playing legit but I have caught a few rule-breakers here and there. I have even spotted people walking right past my base and done nothing about it because I only knew it due to admin abilities. The community I am involved with has a hierarchy of administrators that are accountable for everything we do. Rarely, we have had a few player complaints in the past and accountability has been enforced. At the end of the day, however, all players are appreciative of our efforts and our server remains free from major hacking and cheating that you see on other servers.

The point is that you just need to find a good server to play on. If you trust the clan/community and they prove to you that they are responsible with administration then they deserve a higher player count and you will benefit from this as well for not having to play with hackers. However, if you find a server where the admins are teleporting to you and nuking you and whatnot, you need to leave so that their playercount suffers and they eventually shut down. That is just how Darwinism works in a server setting.

• Like 2

Please stop going there. It is getting rather tiresome. 

Lolno.

Free speech. As long as I don't mention "rape" (Total bullshit) or racism I'm fine, I did not imply anything else. Besides I'm not broadcasting this to anyone else, if boneboys has a problem we can talk it though, other than that stop getting tiresome over other peoples issues.

• Like 1

SNIP

I concur.

Edited by Inception.