SmashT

October Round-up: #DayZDaily

Posted Today, 08:16 AM

ZlobaRUS54, on 01 Nov 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:snapback.png

Ok, Fraggle confirmed: Release is forthcoming

SoonTM Confirmed for Stand Alone.

It's HappeningTM

By the looks on how they are optimizing the performance of the alpha before release, it seems to be a good sign.

How about Helen Thomas instead?

Good lord man! I would rather be scared to death than scarred for life!

By the looks on how they are optimizing the performance of the alpha before release, it seems to be a good sign.

I'm curious, how do they intend to really stress out and test the performance of the 150 odd player server with only around 20ish testers?

I'm curious, how do they intend to really stress out and test the performance of the 150 odd player server with only around 20ish testers?

I pasted a quote from Rocket up-thread. Once they are satisfied with performance and stability they will move to a larger scale closed test. So far they have been testing with 18-20 people for about 10 days or so. (possibly will involve some youtubers/streamers, but it's just my speculation) 

Edited by ZlobaRUS54

Admins can read all the chat channels. This includes direct and vehicle. A message does not need to be written in side channel to be seen by the admin.  I am ashamed that no one in this thread intervened with this info. We could have saved almost two pages of silliness. I will not comment on whether or not there are other uses of side chat.

Now please, return to wild speculation. I am too old to trick or treat and need some form of entertainment tonight.

Well we were debating the merits of the removal of sidechat (ostensibly), not explicitly the idea of the admins being omniscient with regard to chat. That was a side issue.

I pasted a quote from Rocket up-thread. Once they are satisfied with performance and stability they will move to a larger scale closed test. So far they have been testing with 18-20 people for about 10 days or so. (possibly will involve some youtubers/streamers, but it's just my speculation) 

That speculated 5th Nov release seems extremely unlikely then.

Not sure if 30 minutes of October left or living in the past.

Could we just make DayZ standalone like a giant MMO Animal Crossing where the zombies are all friendly and give you new clothes and furniture and talk in funny warbled voices? Wouldn't that be neato?

VeiSY8V.jpg

• Like 1

I have a feeling if the alpha doesn't release on Nov. 5th, there'll be a lot of disappointment on an unconfirmed release dates. Least it gives us something to look forward to.

Edited by TIC321

I am fairly certain DayZ won't be releasing until Thanksgiving. If anything, that would probably be most convenient for me.

• Like 1

Just now hiring a new sound guy eh? Fuck me.

Yeah agreed quite pathetic when you think about it. It's not like they were ever going to use the Mod' Sounds, so they new all along they would have to do new Sounds, but have only just now got around to looking at hiring someone to do them. Another example of a badly managed Team . Reminds me of that shitty self indulgent Dev Blog where they were doing Motion Capture for the Zombies, wow and didnt that turn out well :o

No mention of Zombies having been redone as yet, so far none detected in any testing . A Zombie Survival Game released  Alpha with No Zombies I can see the IGN Video now, or I could be wrong, they are all finished and look and act fantastic . Which Bet would you take ?

Those asking for a new DevBlog WHY ? Not like they have been forthcoming doing them, how many has there been in the Year  5 ?    TBH if the Game comes out next Year all is good, but ffs dont let Dean talk to the Public anymore.

Duh, why do i have to predict future instead of time travelling, Was jebus drunk when he blessed me with these godly powers? o,o

No mention of Zombies having been redone as yet, so far none detected in any testing . A Zombie Survival Game released  Alpha with No Zombies I can see the IGN Video now, or I could be wrong, they are all finished and look and act fantastic . Which Bet would you take ?

I think that there are two (or three and probably more than that) main issues here, that are in danger of being seen as the same. I'm not saying you're explicitly endorsing this, but I just want to indicate a potential danger which I've seen with other posters.

One, in my mind, is a (real or perceived) lack of communication. I don't particularly agree with this, as I think we've been given an adequate amount of information over the past year and that Rocket has indeed been very forthcoming. Not everyone shares that sentiment, and I recognize that. Things could be improved, but things are not as dire as they appear either way. If one only cites the frequency of devblogs, then their information release cycle is very disparate. However (and I know you're aware of this) the Twitter and Reddit feeds have been abuzz with information over the past year (not to mention the information/footage we get from Rocket's convention/conference visits). Often times Rocket's Reddit sessions are more revealing than the devblogs themselves.

Two, is the actual progress of the standalone. While the two issues can be linked, a lack of information doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of progress overall. They could be withholding information for a variety of reasons. To be fair, the absence of information doesn't necessarily mean that things are incomplete or somehow in question. In fact, I'd sort of take the opposite position whereby we've been brought up to speed fairly quickly on the changing progress of the standalone (troubles with the network bubble, zombie AI, June testing window predictions, the transition from reworked mod to standalone, crafting a new version of the engine, etc.) Which brings me to a third possible issue, one that is certainly more up to interpretation and isn't necessarily reliant on the output of information.

A third possible competing issue, one that I feel is largely overlooked, is the nature of an evolving development. Project necessities change, game auspices change, system requirements evolve. So even if they're lagging behind, it is prompted by the demands of their development and not by incompetence. Which is why I think they, if I'm reading the information right, waited so long to consider hiring audio staff. It just wasn't in the focus of development for a long period of time and now that the necessities of development are changing, they're adapting. Where one might read their late hiring of audio staff as negligent or incompetent, another might read the hiring as a sign that they can now begin to focus on ancillary game additions rather than the more important (to proper function) largely back-end game systems.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 11

Honestly, this whole situation is really just starting to get annoying and ridiculous. I'm still supporting this game fully and definitely going to buy it.
Just seems kinda rubbish and unfair to be this secretive and silent. Like damn throw a dog a bone mates. Starting to get annoyed... <_<

I think that there are two (or three and probably more than that) main issues here, that are in danger of being seen as the same. I'm not saying you're explicitly endorsing this, but I just want to indicate a potential danger which I've seen with other posters.

One, in my mind, is a (real or perceived) lack of communication. I don't particularly agree with this, as I think we've been given an adequate amount of information over the past year and that Rocket has indeed been very forthcoming. Not everyone shares that sentiment, and I recognize that. Things could be improved, but things are not as dire as they appear either way. If one only cites the frequency of devblogs, then their information release cycle is very disparate. However (and I know you're aware of this) the Twitter and Reddit feeds have been abuzz with information over the past year (not to mention the information/footage we get from Rocket's convention/conference visits). Often times Rocket's Reddit sessions are more revealing than the devblogs themselves.

Two, is the actual progress of the standalone. While the two issues can be linked, a lack of information doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of progress overall. They could be withholding information for a variety of reasons. To be fair, the absence of information doesn't necessarily mean that things are incomplete or somehow in question. In fact, I'd sort of take the opposite position whereby we've been brought up to speed fairly quickly on the changing progress of the standalone (troubles with the network bubble, zombie AI, June testing window predictions, the transition from reworked mod to standalone, crafting a new version of the engine, etc.) Which brings me to a third possible issue, one that is certainly more up to interpretation and isn't necessarily reliant on the output of information.

A third possible competing issue, one that I feel is largely overlooked, is the nature of an evolving development. Project necessities change, game auspices change, system requirements evolve. So even if they're lagging behind, it is prompted by the demands of their development and not by incompetence. Which is why I think they, if I'm reading the information right, waited so long to consider hiring audio staff. It just wasn't in the focus of development for a long period of time and now that the necessities of development are changing, they're adapting. Where one might read their late hiring of audio staff as negligent or incompetent, another might read the hiring as a sign that they can now begin to focus on ancillary game additions rather than the more important (to proper function) largely back-end game systems.

Fantastic thought out reply ! You would have to be the most creative wordsmith i've had the pleasure to come across on the Net :)

• Like 1

To be honest, I only continue to wait and follow the Project because I believe in Rocket's vision. Any other team with such such stone-age communication skills would be sent into ignore bin.  Nowdays it's expected to have active developer Q&A forums, regular videoblogs and twitter updates regardless if you are a KS indie or AAA studio.  

• Like 3

What I don't understand is that people are so god-damn unpatient these days. Sure, I want the game. I prefer to have it tomorrow than next week. BUT, I am expecting a decent version and I'll wait until that comes, even if it's next year or the year after.

So far, everything Rocket and his team did with DayZ lead me to like the game and to be optimistic about what's coming. I am working in Marketing/Sales myself and no matter how big the hype is, the delivery of a solid product is most important. All that unpatient ranting I am reading on these forums and others are in my eyes only a sign of what's going to happen when DayZ is not delivering upon release. That's ALPHA release. Everybody that is now complaining about "Where is the fucking game? I WANT IT NOW" is very likely to be the first poster of criticism about "You have dumbed down DayZ! THIS SUCKS".

The same happened within the Call of Duty series. The same happened with the Battlefield series. The same happened with Total War games. The same happened with the Civilization series. Examples are countless to be found. 

What that taught me is simple: If a developer thinks it's not ready for release, Alpha or final doesn't matter, well, it's simply not ready. If Rocket is smart and so far I think he is, he knows that most likely, he will not be able to hit the expectations that are laying on this game. I am sure, as a business person, he understands that he can better delay a release, even for another 12 months, to make sure that the first version of his product is sufficient to have a decent playerbase on this.

To almost all the people filling countless threads and forums with "I am not interested anymore", I can only say "If you weren't interested anymore, you'd left already. You'll buy the game anyway". That's what I would put my money on. Guys, just be patient.

• Like 2

To be honest, I only continue to wait and follow the Project because I believe in Rocket's vision. Any other team with such such stone-age communication skills would be sent into ignore bin.  Nowdays it's expected to have active developer Q&A forums, regular videoblogs and twitter updates regardless if you are a KS indie or AAA studio.  

Yeah, but I'm not sure I'm in support of that though. I'd much rather have a singular stream of information, rather than a bunch of different streams. Granted, this simply might not be possible with the vast amount of outlets that we have now. That and I think a lot of people's disillusionment comes from a misplaced sense of importance on a developer's PR/information release campaign. I can't for the life of me remember the information released prior to the release of a game assuming such a level of importance as to potentially divide a community. It just simply didn't happen, in the age before video blogs and things like Twitter, people just accepted what they were given. This might seem silly in retrospect, but there was a distinct difference in what gamers thought themselves owed prior to release relative to present circumstance. I can't really put my finger on an exact time where this change happened, but I don't remember this being a problem ten or even five years ago.

And to be fair, I wasn't engaged in the discourse of the time, so I can't really vouch for people's potential dissatisfaction on games in the past. For instance, I never have heard any discussion of any dissatisfaction with the information of... oh... say... Battlefield 2... prior to release (even though I'm willing to bet my lunch money that it was VASTLY less information than a modern Battlefield game PR cycle).

Fantastic thought out reply ! You would have to be the most creative wordsmith i've had the pleasure to come across on the Net :)

I'm a grad student who wants to write boring papers for a living, sort of goes with the territory. :D

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

What I don't understand is that people are so god-damn unpatient these days. Sure, I want the game. I prefer to have it tomorrow than next week. BUT, I am expecting a decent version and I'll wait until that comes, even if it's next year or the year after.

So far, everything Rocket and his team did with DayZ lead me to like the game and to be optimistic about what's coming. I am working in Marketing/Sales myself and no matter how big the hype is, the delivery of a solid product is most important. All that unpatient ranting I am reading on these forums and others are in my eyes only a sign of what's going to happen when DayZ is not delivering upon release. That's ALPHA release. Everybody that is now complaining about "Where is the fucking game? I WANT IT NOW" is very likely to be the first poster of criticism about "You have dumbed down DayZ! THIS SUCKS".

The same happened within the Call of Duty series. The same happened with the Battlefield series. The same happened with Total War games. The same happened with the Civilization series. Examples are countless to be found. 

What that taught me is simple: If a developer thinks it's not ready for release, Alpha or final doesn't matter, well, it's simply not ready. If Rocket is smart and so far I think he is, he knows that most likely, he will not be able to hit the expectations that are laying on this game. I am sure, as a business person, he understands that he can better delay a release, even for another 12 months, to make sure that the first version of his product is sufficient to have a decent playerbase on this.

To almost all the people filling countless threads and forums with "I am not interested anymore", I can only say "If you weren't interested anymore, you'd left already. You'll buy the game anyway". That's what I would put my money on. Guys, just be patient.

Then why not respond to them directly ?.

"filling countless threads and forums with "I am not interested anymore" " Where are these Forums you speak of ? 

I'm more sick of reading your kind of Posts , talking about a man you know nothing about.

I don't expect anything until they say "Hey we are doing a weekly devblog" then i expected it weekly. That lasted 3-4 weeks. I didn't expect another devblog until they said "Hey we are doing it monthly now". Lasted 2 Months. Just saying, if you announce something it is kind off expected.

Edited by PXXL
  • Like 4