rocket

Darwin List: Banned Users

I do not give a flying flip as an enduser on what gear is allowed or not. If some guy cheats in a VSS and I happen to find it on someone's body then I will happily take it. Not my fault someone introduced the item into the game world by cheating.

So everyone calm down' date=' there is no ethical support for the concept that someone could get banned for illegal guns.[/quote']

You really should give a 'flying flip' what gear is allowed, because if you pick up hacked gear, chances are you're going to be perma-banned. Hell, I didn't even use the hacked item I picked up and got banned for it.

Assuming the people in this thread crying about falsebans are telling the truth (I doubt it.)

I am sad to say but, If we have to lose a handful of legit players to stamp out the exploiters/cheaters early on.. then so be it. if it gives the game a rep for being a no bullshit mod. then i am happy to deal with that.

Assuming the people in this thread crying about falsebans are telling the truth (I doubt it.)

I am sad to say but' date=' If we have to lose a handful of legit players to stamp out the exploiters/cheaters early on.. then so be it. if it gives the game a rep for being a no bullshit mod. then i am happy to deal with that.

[/quote']

no legit players should be banned EVER

ppl haven't paid for arma 2 and arma 2 oa just to be banned for no reason

innocent victims who don't know if a gun is hacked in don't deserve to lose there £20 or so if they bought the game for this mod

there is such a thing as a too aggressive anti cheat which causes collateral damage to innocent ppl

Call me old fashioned, but I believe everyone's innocent till proven guilty - not till assumed guilty.

It's easy to let the falsely accused pay the price as long as you're not one of 'em.

I am sad to say but' date=' If we have to lose a handful of legit players to stamp out the exploiters/cheaters early on.. then so be it. if it gives the game a rep for being a no bullshit mod. then i am happy to deal with that.

[/quote']

until it happens to YOU,then its "oh noez! how can you ban me,never did anything wrong,fix asap!".

collateral damage will only be "fun to deal with" if you`re not part of it.

• Like 1

Indeed, please keep to praesumptio boni viri, but if you have no doubts - then ban those scum permanently and without mercy.

I just started playing today. Glad I suck too much to kill any hackers, because this thread is terrifying.

I'd like to appeal to the decency of the developers here... your mod, your rules, but your current system doesn't seem like a fair way to handle things. It's really bad reputation for what I feel is an amazing game that deserves nothing but positivity.

Prevention is better than punishment. That's easy for me to say, I'm not in charge of any of that, but I think it's an extremely important part of a game where so much rides on the life and death of your characters as it is.

It seems like very few people got banned for this and I suspect most of the people here complaining about unfair bans are probably people who either bought the hacks and got caught or are friends of the cheaters.

It would be a shame if a few truly innocent players got banned but I hardly think it is giving Dayz a bad reputation.

There are 80,000 players now, give or take a few ....bad rep eh ?

And Prevention is never better than Punishment.....bullshit lefty concept that has been repeatedly proven not to work.

spare the rod, spoil the child

ppl haven't paid for arma 2 and arma 2 oa just to be banned for no reason

innocent victims who don't know if a gun is hacked in don't deserve to lose there £20 or so if they bought the game for this mod

I agree, innocents shouldn't be banned, but if people paid money to get ArmA II JUST for this mod, then that still doesn't mean they're entitled to anything.

You didn't buy the mod, so rocket owes pretty much nothing to you. If he wanted to, he could just turn off the database tomorrow and call it a day. I doubt he will, but he'd be entirely within his rights to, just as he's entirely within his rights to do whatever the hell he wants with his mod - because it's his mod.

Ultimately, if he wants to ban people, then it's tough for them. Like I said, I doubt he'd do that to innocent people, but the possibility is always there.

MasterCaution' pid='46264' dateline='1337654098']

And Prevention is never better than Punishment.....bullshit lefty concept that has been repeatedly proven not to work.

spare the rod' date=' spoil the child

[/quote']

How can you say that it's better to punish someone for doing something than it is to prevent him/her from doing it? Punishment in itself even serves as prevention.

Of the states with the ten highest murder rates in the United States, educators paddle children in eight of them.

Of the states with the ten lowest murder rates in the nation, educators paddle children in one of them.

Of the ten states with the highest percentage of the population in prison, educators paddle children in nine of them.

Of the ten states with the lowest percentage of the population in prison, educators do not paddle children in any of them.

Of the ten worst states in the United States in which to raise children, as measured by the condition of children index, educators paddle children in all ten of them.

Of the ten best states in the United States in which to raise children, as measured by the condition of children index, educators do not paddle children in any of them.

Of the states in the bottom ten percent* in terms of average proficiency in math, educators paddle children in all of them.

Of the states in the top ten percent* in terms of average proficiency in math, educators paddle children in one of them.

Source

Seems the only thing that has been repeatedly proven not to work is your beloved rod.

Seems the only thing that has been repeatedly proven not to work is your beloved rod.

So says some lefty crybaby.

Simple fact is that nobody is going to pick up exotic weapons now.

In your fucked up universe however, all those who cheated would be counseled so they could better understand why it is a bad thing to cheat in a multi-player game.

And then those same assholes would come right back and do it again.

It is sad if a few people got banned because of their ignorance of the game, but it isn't some tragedy that will bring down the mod or any such horseshit.

Life sucks and that is a common theme in Dayz, so man the fuck up and get over it.

MasterCaution' pid='47615' dateline='1337681997']

So says some lefty crybaby.

Simple fact is that nobody is going to pick up exotic weapons now.

In your fucked up universe however' date=' all those who cheated would be counseled so they could better understand why it is a bad thing to cheat in a multi-player game.

And then those same assholes would come right back and do it again.

It is sad if a few people got banned because of their ignorance of the game, but it isn't some tragedy that will bring down the mod or any such horseshit.

Life sucks and that is a common theme in Dayz, so man the fuck up and get over it.

[/quote']

Instead of making an Ad honinem attack on him why dont you get some research to further your own point instead of only providing YOUR opinion.

At this point you are fighting FACTS with OPINION and that just looks silly really.

• Like 1

MasterCaution' pid='46264' dateline='1337654098']I hardly think it is giving Dayz a bad reputation.

There are 80' date='000 players now, give or take a few ....bad rep eh ?

[/quote']

It's fallacious to take the player base right now as the banlist has JUST been posted and try to correlate that to lack of reputation influence. My sample size is very small, but three different people (frequenters of 4chan) that I tried to get into the concept of DayZ yesterday threw the banning issue back in my face, so there must have been a few threads there about it at least. Regardless of how much you think it affects the entire population it is still bad reputation- your point was merely one of scale which ignores the issue.

Don't bring politics into this. That's ridiculous, this has nothing to do with any politics, this is about hacking in a videogame (I'm Libertarian if it makes you feel any better). In this context prevention is much better than punishment. I'd like a reason why you think it's better for the potential for the weapon hacks to exist for banning is better than just removing that potential entirely.

Are the bans based on player evidence or log scanning? A good log parser should be able to determine the difference between which players were actually illegitimate and which were caught in the crossfire of the issue. Such processing is part of my field, if a dev needs assistance or feels his time would be better spent elsewhere I could pitch in.

A few eggs must be broken to make an omelette, especially an omelette as good as this one, with peppers, mushrooms, and sausage.

" Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding."

MasterCaution' pid='46264' dateline='1337654098']I hardly think it is giving Dayz a bad reputation.

There are 80' date='000 players now, give or take a few ....bad rep eh ?

[/quote']

It's fallacious to take the player base right now as the banlist has JUST been posted and try to correlate that to lack of reputation influence. My sample size is very small, but three different people (frequenters of 4chan) that I tried to get into the concept of DayZ yesterday threw the banning issue back in my face, so there must have been a few threads there about it at least. Regardless of how much you think it affects the entire population it is still bad reputation- your point was merely one of scale which ignores the issue.

Don't bring politics into this. That's ridiculous, this has nothing to do with any politics, this is about hacking in a videogame (I'm Libertarian if it makes you feel any better). In this context prevention is much better than punishment. I'd like a reason why you think it's better for the potential for the weapon hacks to exist for banning is better than just removing that potential entirely.

Are the bans based on player evidence or log scanning? A good log parser should be able to determine the difference between which players were actually illegitimate and which were caught in the crossfire of the issue. Such processing is part of my field, if a dev needs assistance or feels his time would be better spent elsewhere I could pitch in.

Oh noe guys. Someone is badmouthing the game on 4chan so it MUST have a bad reputation.

...what a joke.

Oh noe guys. Someone is badmouthing the game on 4chan so it MUST have a bad reputation.

...what a joke.

I'll keep this simple for you. Your problem is that you're viewing this reputation as one collective thing. What I was referring to was it gaining bad reputation. Do you get it yet? That does not mean that the mod has a bad reputation, just that things that upset players give it a worse reputation than it already has.

It's not a complicated concept.

There's no problem of banning few innocent ppl (unless it's me), the severity must remain to give everyone else a more enjoyable experience.

I'm sorry if you have been banned for no reason, but you should keep it: It's Z day, it's a cruel world, the fairness has gone and crying is not enough to restore the civil rules.

If the falsely banned people are allowed to provide evidence of their innocence, then I'm all for aggressive bans.

There's no problem of banning few innocent ppl (unless it's me)' date=' the severity must remain to give everyone else a more enjoyable experience.

I'm sorry if you have been banned for no reason, but you should keep it: It's Z day, it's a cruel world, the fairness has gone and crying is not enough to restore the civil rules.

[/quote']

I'll bet you'd be singing a different tune if it happened to you. Talk about self-centered.

If the falsely banned people are allowed to provide evidence of their innocence' date=' then I'm all for aggressive bans.

[/quote']

What sort of evidence can be provided? People were banned based on server logs, they should be unbanned based on evidence from those same logs.

Like I said MUCH earlier in this thread:

It is NOT HAPPENING any more. All weapons that hackers have once used are now gone thanks to server restarts, and so far, no hacker has been able to spawn a weapon for days.

This is a non-issue now.

This is a non-issue now.

Maybe it's time to post an end to the thread, and close it up. It's obvious past posts are being lost in the shuffle.

Like I said MUCH earlier in this thread:

It is NOT HAPPENING any more. All weapons that hackers have once used are now gone thanks to server restarts' date=' and so far, no hacker has been able to spawn a weapon for days.

This is a non-issue now.

[/quote']

Except for anyone who wrongly got perma-banned.