rocket

Darwin List: Banned Users

I wish the dev team would come out and say whether or not they'll entertain ban appeals for those of us who were unlucky enough to pick up a hacked weapon. I've gotten no indication of whether they're too busy to comment, or whether they just don't care.

Rule of Thumb (or so I am led to believe), if there is no image description of the weapon when you open your Gear menu, risky...

Correct me if I'm wrong.

MasterCaution' pid='30004' dateline='1337261622']

asinine ?

Paranoid might be a better word but again you need to lay the blame where it belongs' date=' on the little shits who buy hacks.

They are the reason people get banned.

If you want to help, let your fellow players know that picking up an advanced weapon is a risk.If you are picking up an aircraft mounted multi-barrel cannon it should be painfully obvious that it does not belong in the game.

If you are in doubt, then ask or even better, inform yourself as to the rules and regulations of the game you are playing.

If you walked on to a basketball court and round-housed kicked another player in the face, do you think the excuse " I didn't know it wasn't allowed" would be any comfort ?

[/quote']

Firstly, yes it is asinine and no offense dude, but you're analogy sucks.

The idea that kicking a person in the face is generally unacceptable IS common sense. Hitting someone is shitty, that is a widely shared viewpoint in the majority of societies. On the other hand military hardware knowledge IS NOT common sense. You simply cannot assume players will know by default what a weapon is because not all players come from a military background. What many of these players do have is gaming backgrounds where they've played games like Halo where you can pick up a mounted multi-barrel chain gun and carry it about. Many of these people don't differentiate Arma's simulation aspect from that of any other game, it is simply a game to most and won't see those items as out of place. Even knowing that about Arma I may not know the difference of some of the items myself.

Having to even make an argument of this is just silly, why punish the person who did not create the item when it has quite clearly been picked off of a corpse. The server data at some point has to pick up on that fact that an item went from survivor corpse to player inventory. Common sense would dictate that the person who originally had the item is the person who is responsible. In the case of a drive by does the victim with the bullet lodged in their shoulder get the blame because the evidence of a bullet is on them? No, of course not, that would be utterly ridiculous.

I'm all for banning hackers, I hate the cheating little hoes with a raging passion that would rival the angriest of men who have ever lived. I've filled more ears than I could count with more swear words and screams of rage over hackers than your sensitive psyches could likely handle. If the ban isn't going to the actual hackers - the people actually responsible - then you are punishing the innocent, that is never ok.

If a better method isn't developed all you will get as a result will be hackers exploiting this by spawning weapons in their inventory and letting players kill them so they can get a chuckle out of the other player being banned when they pick up a seemingly awesome weapon they've found. If that's the way it's going to be handled you may as well invite the hackers in for a good time.

• Like 2

So can we please get this out into the open somewhere where ever new player can see this? Like ont he front page of the website as a warning? Because people come in here knowing this is Alpha version, so there will be bugs and glitches. And they loot a weapon which looks like a bug, but instead it's a hacked weapon and they get banned... for doing nothing wrong...

Not a good start for a mod...

I have been considering buying Arma 2 specifically for this mod as I think it looks absolutely brilliant. However, I decided to come and look at the forums to see the opinions of other people playing this game. It seems that a hell of a lot of people are enjoying this, but I am extremely concerned about this post.

I have played games that are quite like this for many years and looking at a system that bans on a database-wide scale for something that may be a complete accident is completely ridiculous. Yes, I respect the fact that you can have your ban over-turned if you have proved it is an accident (a drop pick-up), however, after noticing someone who has been trying to contact the developers over a dispute which is completely relevant to the situation I mentioned and has not received a reply, I believe this system is not going to work.

I know my opinion is probably not going to be valued, but I feel like I should speak my mind just in-case people agree with me. I believe this system is flawed, especially with the developers talking about over-turning bans. How are you going to filter out the good from the bad, I have read somewhere in this thread that there a no server specific logs so you can not back-track if this is an accident or not. This leads to the situation where a genuine innocent person is telling the truth and a hacker is wanting to be unbanned while lying about what happened. You will not be able to distinguish between the two.

This system should be re-thought, this is not going to work. Looking at the amount of people that are complaining in this thread about the system seems to be a big majority. Even if there is a list posted about forbidden weapons, what if a new player has not looked at the forums? I know quite a few people who play games but are not interested about the forums. I love the idea of a script which automatically deletes the item when it is picked up, but something as serious as a ban which could turn out to be a simple mistake is silly.

I do understand what the developers are trying to do here, but it is probably not going to work. Continue with the great work on this mod, but this system is inevitably bringing it down. It is giving me second thoughts in purchasing this game after reading this thread, and I am sure other people feel the same way as me.

If you've managed to read this far congratulations! Thank you for reading this wall of text and what I have had to say.

Thanks,

Ben101a

• Like 1

The same as Ben101a.

Also, perma-banning users without proper investigation...

what can I say? No... just, no.

I bought OA to play this mod, it would suck if I get banned just from looting. Do you guys know if the only sign of a 'hacked' weapon it's the missing icon? Because im not going to (and should not be forced to) memorize the list of legit stuff.

Guys, I´ve changed my Signature into somethings more informative.

If some ppl, want to do the same. This is the code, to do this:

[URL=http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Weapons]These weapons[/URL] are allowed
[URL=http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page]DayZ Wiki
[/URL]

I also started a thread about this, to provide some clearness about this.

Link to the new Thread

I´also like to ask a Dev team member to check this ressource whether it is really up to the latest date.

IF you do somthing that CAN make you banned, be sure IT would be something that you would KNOW that is banned.

Its not that you would hack mysql database accidently...

Or make weapon with cracked bikey...

Or script ingame self-made triggers that teleport you...

But if you do that unconsciously then.. go to CIA or FBI.

I have a question about hacked weapons, or rather a situation that came up and neither I nor my comrades were sure if it was a hack or just a glitch. One of my team mates found an AK on the ground, but when he examined the item, it said it was an MP5. What's up with that? I advised him to leave it, just in case.

What was the deal with that? Hack or bug?

Wait so you can be banned for "hackng" by grabbing certain loot?

Oh man...is said loot usually on dead players? Is all loot in the wild safe?

I got my set of balls so i can play this mod ;p, dont castrate me! :)

Is there any possibility of communication with Steam owners and Game spy owners to organise a universal life ban on these people, using their game identification numbers or IP address?

Is there any possibility of communication with Steam owners and Game spy owners to organise a universal life ban on these people' date=' using their game identification numbers or IP address?

[/quote']

The game ID´s are unic to the purchased game, so once you get banned and you buy another license...you´re in again. That´s how Battleeye is working. may be that one also need to change the name, I dont know.

The question is, would it worth to do so? I dont think so, so I agree with the most of you guys, that a more balanced possibility should become developed to permanban only those guys, who earned it.

After reading through a lot of this thread I have to say the harshness of some of the bans seem to be excessive.

Of course if somebody has been proven to be cheating, beyond all doubt, then that's great, but now, as a newbie, I'm extremely paranoid about what I can and can't touch in case it gets me perma banned. The thought that I could be perma banned, without a second thought, because of some scumbag hacker is surely the wrong way to be going about things.

Love the mod btw. It has huge potential.

Edit - As somebody posted above me "perma banning users without proper investigation" is just awful.

[URL=http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Weapons]These weapons[/URL] are allowed
[URL=http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page]DayZ Wiki
[/URL]

This is nice but it _MUST_ be in-game, I for one will not tab out to check every piece of equipment that I find on a body.

In fact I don't usually check the item description until much later, when I am re-organizing my pack or when I am safely hidden away.

This worries me now since I did pick up an unknown rifle off a bandit that was stalking me and placed it in my pack, when I logged in later it was gone (maybe my char didnt save?). not sure what it was.. looked military grade though.

At any rate shortly after I had logged in, I was killed :\

I don't get why people bother cheating in mp games' date=' and even more so in this game. The joy is in the challenge...

[/quote']

Indeed, but then, how many players don't use online maps, out-of-game voice chat and so on? Is that cheating? I'd say it is... sure, you could KNOW the whole island by heart, but most don't... I'd say doing so would be a valued skill, and cheating your way to the valued map item by using google maps or similar and talking outside, isn't that also sidestepping the challenge and immersion of the game? :p

Glad to see cheaters being banned rocket :)

Good work sir and youre mod is fantastic.

Keep up the great work :)

Hey rocket, I was playing and killed 2 people in an aircraft tower to rescue my friend who was inside. After i killed the 2 people my screen stuttered a bit, and then I was teleported to the middle of the ocean. Could this be admin abuse or a glitch in the server?

Hey rocket' date=' I was playing and killed 2 people in an aircraft tower to rescue my friend who was inside. After i killed the 2 people my screen stuttered a bit, and then I was teleported to the middle of the ocean. Could this be admin abuse or a glitch in the server?

[/quote']

http://dayzmod.com/forum/search.php

Teleport.

Admins don't have teleport. It's the transition system.

From what I heard, I'm glad these pricks are gone. It's nice to know idiots like them will be missing out on the mod of the year. Good riddance.

Character was never fixed, never had anybody respond to me other than *please wait* Guess they are to busy to help somebody that helped them

I cant tell you how refreshing this is to see.

I've played a lot of Battlefield 3 where cheating is rampant in nearly every game. When a cheater is reported and judged guilty their account is wiped, they lose all progress unlocks etc. So the cheater can jump straight back into the game and begin leveling his character all over again immediately. This takes about 8 hours for some cheaters to reach level cap again and the process continues if they are once again reported.

Perma-ban is the only way to deal with these assholes who will inevitably get bored and return to fucking with their game and everyone elses. Rocket I applaud you for kicking ass and posting names so early in development, the industry could learn a lot from your approaches to this mod.

I do not give a flying flip as an enduser on what gear is allowed or not. If some guy cheats in a VSS and I happen to find it on someone's body then I will happily take it. Not my fault someone introduced the item into the game world by cheating.

So everyone calm down, there is no ethical support for the concept that someone could get banned for illegal guns.

Besides WTF why is there no VSS officially ingame and instead there is 100 million* winchester rifles from the bronze age of firearms?

*Number slightly exagerrated for dramatic effect. Actual amount is probably 90 million winchesters spawned per square kilometer

I do not give a flying flip as an enduser on what gear is allowed or not. If some guy cheats in a VSS and I happen to find it on someone's body then I will happily take it. Not my fault someone introduced the item into the game world by cheating.

So everyone calm down' date=' there is no ethical support for the concept that someone could get banned for illegal guns.

Besides WTF why is there no VSS officially ingame and instead there is 100 million* winchester rifles from the bronze age of firearms?

*Number slightly exagerrated for dramatic effect. Actual amount is probably 90 million winchesters spawned per square kilometer

[/quote']

Because a Winchester is insanely more common than a VSS.