Sign in to follow this  
Taiphoz

Change to the Graphics engine to block forrests.

Something that has annoyed me to no end in the Arma engine is how the further away something is the more transparent(not literally) that thing becomes.

Specifically I am talking about woods, and forests, it's ridiculous that from a distance not only can you see INTO, but THROUGH a forest or wood, sorry but this is now how ambient light or the human eye really works, the contrast is so great the eye cant detect anything inside a forest it tunes it out.

This is a forrest from above..

http://www.store44.com/wp-content/uploads/ACA0040b.jpg

THIS IS NOT A FOREST FROM ABOVE>.

http://www.mmogames.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/zombie-mmo-games-dayz-standalone-chernarus-screenshot.jpg

Even at this distance you can still clearly see through the tree canopy and see the ground, how many times have you lot flew over forests looking for camps ? all of you i bet, how many of you have ever though "This for the most part shouldnt even be possible" the thing about tree's is that they suck up air space to capture enough light from the sun they dont just hang out spread out and hardly fill any airspace.

This exact same principle is in effect when simply looking into a forest, even 100 meters away any forest larger than just a few tree's should preset a wall of darkness and gloomy greens, NOT! wide open sun bathed for all to see.

SO!!.. My suggestion is that you create a new mesh that wraps around forests, that only get's rendered when the viewing player is over 50 meters away, this mesh could easily have the camo net texture on it, or a new texture if you like, which would create the effect of forests being dark and gloomy places with less light and more inviting to hide in, instead of the massive vast open sunny places they are now.

Helicopters flying overhead should ALWAYS see this new mesh, if they want to look for tents the players should land and actually LOOK!.

Finally but more work and time consuming I would recommend. that all forests get more tree's to really darken them down and make them more the places they are in real life, light starved dark and mysterious places, that only get worse at night.

• Like 5

Hello there

This is an issue that plagued the vanilla Arma series.

Id also like the canopy to provide cover.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

The downside being that entering a forest would mean lack of visibility ? but isnt that how it should be?

hell a lot of the time we shouldnt even be able to see the sky let alone have clear view in every direction, I would also like to see some large possiblt 2 or 3 times the size bushes , you know those red ones about the place, spread them through the forsts as well make them larger than the ones in the fields, those will obscure view and visibility as well.

The downside being that entering a forest would mean lack of visibility ? but isnt that how it should be?

hell a lot of the time we shouldnt even be able to see the sky let alone have clear view in every direction, I would also like to see some large possiblt 2 or 3 times the size bushes , you know those red ones about the place, spread them through the forsts as well make them larger than the ones in the fields, those will obscure view and visibility as well.

You make a fair point.

:).

I like it, they have said already that more vegetation will be added to the map, with something like this implemented forests could actually be somewhere that you could sink into the shadows.

As of now, trees do create FPS drop for low-end PC's. If I were to see this becoming a part, then it should be available as an option in the graphics settings. I'd definitely like to see trees that flourished. 

Hopefully this is something they look at as the development goes on.

• Like 1

Well it will be pretty rare you to be above the ground in standalone I guess. AtoC does something to this but it isn't forced in A2 because people complained about the performance. Sounds cool but I'm not sure about the performance.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Sorry to do this but my ADHD is kicking in, technicly that first picture is a jungle, not a forest, which by definition is usually much denser canopy wise than a forest.

Back on track, yes some forests should provide more overhead cover, but I think that's an issue with the engine more than anything else.

Something that has annoyed me to no end in the Arma engine is how the further away something is the more transparent(not literally) that thing becomes.

Specifically I am talking about woods, and forests, it's ridiculous that from a distance not only can you see INTO, but THROUGH a forest or wood, sorry but this is now how ambient light or the human eye really works, the contrast is so great the eye cant detect anything inside a forest it tunes it out.

This is a forrest from above..

http://www.store44.com/wp-content/uploads/ACA0040b.jpg

THIS IS NOT A FOREST FROM ABOVE>.

http://www.mmogames.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/zombie-mmo-games-dayz-standalone-chernarus-screenshot.jpg

Even at this distance you can still clearly see through the tree canopy and see the ground, how many times have you lot flew over forests looking for camps ? all of you i bet, how many of you have ever though "This for the most part shouldnt even be possible" the thing about tree's is that they suck up air space to capture enough light from the sun they dont just hang out spread out and hardly fill any airspace.

This exact same principle is in effect when simply looking into a forest, even 100 meters away any forest larger than just a few tree's should preset a wall of darkness and gloomy greens, NOT! wide open sun bathed for all to see.

SO!!.. My suggestion is that you create a new mesh that wraps around forests, that only get's rendered when the viewing player is over 50 meters away, this mesh could easily have the camo net texture on it, or a new texture if you like, which would create the effect of forests being dark and gloomy places with less light and more inviting to hide in, instead of the massive vast open sunny places they are now.

Helicopters flying overhead should ALWAYS see this new mesh, if they want to look for tents the players should land and actually LOOK!.

Finally but more work and time consuming I would recommend. that all forests get more tree's to really darken them down and make them more the places they are in real life, light starved dark and mysterious places, that only get worse at night.

Welcome to realtime rendering 101 this is typically what is considered a TRADEOFF!

• How it looks at ground level is more important than up in the sky, not doing both means we have resources to spare for other things, (and you never have enough resources when it comes to realtime rendering).
  • High in the sky means "i see more of the game world than on the ground" which means that every objects have to be degraded much more agressively to keep a decent framerate for the player.

Imo what you see in Chernarus is a light forest and not a thick forest or jungle like you posted.

I would also love to see more cover from the treetops, i'm prett sure it is technically possible. On the other hand the possiblity to encounter an aircraft in the near future of DayZ unless it's a free-for-all-full-gear-tanks-and-gunships-server and the passengers actually seeing you are pretty slim and the chances of a wannabe weekend doorgunner to hit you even more.

This is something that is being addressed by the dev team. Ivan said about more underbrush and all the vegetation has been gone over and made better in the SA. I don't know how possible it is to do extrememly thick forests and keep performance up. Although it would be awesome!

Most important for me is that forest, brush, shrubs etc etc.. provides cover. Should not be able to fly over a forest and look down to see everything on the forest floor. That should only be possible in clearings etc..  so hopefully they achieve that. Of course I would love for realistic things like forest, weather, animals etc..  I think we just gotta wait and see what is released. And from there make suggestions which might be possible etc.

This is something that is being addressed by the dev team. Ivan said about more underbrush and all the vegetation has been gone over and made better in the SA. I don't know how possible it is to do extrememly thick forests and keep performance up. Although it would be awesome!

Bushes add a lot of load to the PC.

Most important for me is that forest, brush, shrubs etc etc.. provides cover. Should not be able to fly over a forest and look down to see everything on the forest floor. That should only be possible in clearings etc..  so hopefully they achieve that. Of course I would love for realistic things like forest, weather, animals etc..  I think we just gotta wait and see what is released. And from there make suggestions which might be possible etc.

With 3P on it will be no problem to see everything from above.

ah shit... 3rd person.. lol.  I would hope that even in 3rd person, a player in a forest below would have cover. I can only cross my fingers though. we shall see. IMHO, in regards to adding to the forest, this should be a priority... the forest providing cover. From ground level outside the forest, ground level some distance away inside the forest, and from the air. This should also aid in hunting animals (meaning animals can detect you the same as zombies, via sight and sound). Anyways..

As of now, trees do create FPS drop for low-end PC's. If I were to see this becoming a part, then it should be available as an option in the graphics settings. I'd definitely like to see trees that flourished. 

As a low polly mesh flung over the tree's it would allow them to cull more triangles actually improving your fps. all those tree's under and behind the mesh could be cut down to very low polly models because you wont really be able to see them which would free up more video memory.