SmashT

DayZ Developer Blog 7th September 2013

so its looking good and by the sound of it your gunna make 3rd person or 1st person a server option

Did he say/imply that at all?

I agree with making loading bullets slower. I know from experience that 9mm magazines seem to have strong springs, making it hard to get the full 10 (I live in Aus) loaded. This was with a 92fs and glock 17.

• Like 1

Did he say/imply that at all?

well he said well allow for third person to be turned off skip to 5:20.

serverside probably. people have been crying about 3rd person so much probably happen.

Edited by dgeesio

well he said well allow for third person to be turned off skip to 5:20.

serverside probably. people have been crying about 3rd person so much probably happen.

I missed that, thanks.

whats the purpose of the rats ? or was it just to show the animation of it? was it a training piece for someone new to your team ?

i ask in other games i play for eg a rat was made by  some new interns or does it have function ingame.

I think the three positives I'm taking from this devblog are:

• The inventory is slowly but surely starting to become quite intuitive to use.  Because of all of the options now becoming available including the crafting element which will be a major part of the game I was worried that it was becoming a bit of a nightmare to use.  It's slowly becoming more refined now.  It still has a way to go but as he demonstrated, getting feedback from players actually using it (in this case at Gamescom) really helps them refine it further.  I'm pretty happy now that what we'll eventually end up with is a fairly complex but intuitive system.  Hopefully....
  • Now that a large part of the core animations are in place the lead animators are looking at refining it via transition animations etc.  I think anyone that is expecting it to eventually look like GTA is always going to be disappointed but the fact they think it can be improved over Arma 2 -3 to give the player a bit more "weight" in the world is music to my ears.  I'm not expecting miracles but some small improvements will really tidy things up and hopefully start to remove the famous Arma "clunkiness" that we're all used to.
  • The fact that they're now moving to larger offices in Prague, taking on more programmers and that the BIS co-founder that actually designed the RV engine itself is the looking at network bubble shows that production is ramping up now.  That tells me that DayZ isn't just the poor underfunded cousin of Arma anymore.  It's being taken seriously and it looks like it's going to get the support and resources within BIS it deserves.

Happy Days!  Obviously a massive negative is that it isn't being released yet but oh well.  TBH as long as I can see things moving along nicely I'm genuinely not fussed about that.  If it's worth the wait I honestly think a lot of the currently frustrated peeps will eventually see why it is they had to wait.  Or not, time will tell.

Re: the rats.   We'll be able to eat them and I'm hoping further down the line they might play a part in spreading disease in populated areas, that's just my speculation though. 

• Like 6

I must have the mask at the very start of the vid!

• Like 3

I must have the mask at the very start of the vid!

tbh it was cool when the vendetta film was out but the whole illuminotti shit is boring now has been for years.mostly just chavs now trying to be cool it aint !

fraggle i just hope they make the transitions to the animations weapons and  such a no fuss fast easy option. i dont need to see side of gun when reloading and such just clip in aim up fire. devs like to make stuff cool but gamers who play know how they should have it.

tbh it was cool when the vendetta film was out but the whole illuminotti shit is boring now has been for years.mostly just chavs now trying to be cool it aint !

fraggle i just hope they make the transitions to the animations weapons and  such a no fuss fast easy option. i dont need to see side of gun when reloading and such just clip in aim up fire. devs like to make stuff cool but gamers who play know how they should have it.

Wrong, mask is still cool.
  • Like 1

Yeh agreed.  Will be interesting to see what they come up with once the animators have refined everything properly.  Reloading a gun does take a few seconds though and i think the game should reflect that.  To speed it up taping 2 mags together will be an option...

Regarding the mask, don't forget in the SA we're gonna have global loot tables meaning the devs can control how much of everything there is in the whole "DayZ Universe" across all servers, maening that if they wanted they could dictate that there will be only 2 of those for the WHOLE playerbase (just an example).  

There's going to be a LOT of different items to wear (100's) so don't panic and think everyones going to be running around wearing those things.

Edited by Fraggle

Looks good and congratulations on the standalone offices.

• Like 1

There's going to be a LOT of different items to wear (100's) so don't panic and think everyones going to be running around wearing those things.

I think we all know everyone is going to be running around in their underwear.

• Like 7

Yeh agreed.  Will be interesting to see what they come up with once the animators have refined everything properly.  Reloading a gun does take a few seconds though and i think the game should reflect that.  To speed it up taping 2 mags together will be an option...

Regarding the mask, don't forget in the SA we're gonna have global loot tables meaning the devs can control how much of everything there is in the whole "DayZ Universe" across all servers, maening that if they wanted they could dictate that there will be only 2 of those for the WHOLE playerbase (just an example).  

sounds cool . what i eam on the animations to do with guns is alot of games now are like yeah look how cool this looks when reloading or just bringing gun up and while you doing that you are killed ! :lol: thats why fluid actions are better especially when you know this is going to be mayhem. regardless of if people want pvp the numbers will be bigger the system already in place will create more pvp that now in the mod.

150 people in server it will be mayhem and one of the reasons why the weapon animations need to be so fluid and spot on.

Norris the mask aint cool its like 5 years ago when it was cool as said chavs just catching up ! haha its actually 8 years ago when the film came out lol.

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 1

sounds cool . what i eam on the animations to do with guns is alot of games now are like yeah look how cool this looks when reloading or just bringing gun up and while you doing that you are killed ! :lol: thats why fluid actions are better especially when you know this is going to be mayhem. regardless of if people want pvp the numbers will be bigger the system already in place will create more pvp that now in the mod.

150 people in server it will be mayhem and one of the reasons why the weapon animations need to be so fluid and spot on.

Norris the mask aint cool its like 5 years ago when it was cool as said chavs just catching up ! haha its actually 8 years ago when the film came out lol.

Yeh again, I kind of agree.

Getting shot when you're reloading is a tactical thing and means you need to time your re-loads better as in the real world.  Being able to improve the timing by doubling up on mags for tactical reloads etc means that players that plan ahead will have a small advantage, as it should be I guess.  That's what seperates Arma/DayZ from twitch shooters but yeh, being more fluid is a good thing.

I also agree that it's gonna be mayhem when the servers fill up, I can't wait though.

I do think player behaviours will change over time, they'll have to because gameplay wise, just to survive the SA will be very different to the mod.  I'm not saying there will be less KOS, personally I don't care if there is or there isn't because I love the danger it adds to the game.

Adding things like tying up players is just an experiment, as is most of the game and all the new things being added.  All the devs can do is add things for us to play with and see what we do with it.  For me that's the beauty of DayZ tbh.  It truly is a sandbox environment.  The devs provide the tools and we just get on with it.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 7

Yeh again, I kind of agree.

Getting shot when you're reloading is a tactical thing and means you need to time your re-loads better as in the real world.  Being able to improve the timing by doubling up on mags for tactical reloads etc means that players that plan ahead will have a small advantage, as it should be I guess.  That's what seperates Arma/DayZ from twitch shooters but yeh, being more fluid is a good thing.

I also agree that it's gonna be mayhem when the servers fill up, I can't wait though.

I do think player behaviours will change over time, they'll have to because gameplay wise, just to survive the SA will be very different to the mod.  I'm not saying there will be less KOS, personally I don't care if there is or there isn't because I love the danger it adds to the game.

Adding things like tying up players is just an experiment, as is most of the game and all the new things being added.  All the devs can do is add things for us to play with and see what we do with it.  For me that's the beauty of DayZ tbh.  It truly is a sandbox environment.  The devs provide the tools and we just get on with it.

yeah i think the best example of why kos arguements and trying to change it doesnt work is its human nature you cant change this by trying to program around it its not in the game ;)

best example of this at the moment is in the tv series on under the dome

people were all lets band together at the start holding hands singing blah blah now the reality has kicked in and resources and stuff is important panic breaks out people start freaking out shooting and doing what comes naturally self presivation !

also as my mate just said the handcuffing of people while seems great all that will happen i go upto person give me your stuff blut ! i handcuff him take his geaqr then kill him :lol: so the gear getting damaged means nothing as i got his gear he still gets killed regardless ! or people will just headshot people and take all the gear minus damaged stuff and if a headshot damages stuff in the jacket for eg hows that realistic ?

so the mechanics need to be done righ and this kinda stuff players would do who actually play alot would figure out in minutes. nothing that i seen has deterred me from a kos mentality. it does look cool and the payday 2 feature will be fun for short while.

• Like 1

I'd guess the lack of bullets would be a bit of a deterrent. Not to mention attracting a horde of Zeds with a gunshot.

But yeah. There's nothing stopping you from taking your victim's gun and killing him. Or just panning their head in, if that's your thing.  :bandit:

It's a wait and see sort of thing.

I'm secretly hoping some of the changes of pace and gameplay will lead players away from the "High-score to win" attitude. But that's probably giving folk too much credit.

• Like 2

yeah i think the best example of why kos arguements and trying to change it doesnt work is its human nature you cant change this by trying to program around it its not in the game ;)

best example of this at the moment is in the tv series on under the dome

people were all lets band together at the start holding hands singing blah blah now the reality has kicked in and resources and stuff is important panic breaks out people start freaking out shooting and doing what comes naturally self presivation !

also as my mate just said the handcuffing of people while seems great all that will happen i go upto person give me your stuff blut ! i handcuff him take his geaqr then kill him :lol: so the gear getting damaged means nothing as i got his gear he still gets killed regardless ! or people will just headshot people and take all the gear minus damaged stuff and if a headshot damages stuff in the jacket for eg hows that realistic ?

so the mechanics need to be done righ and this kinda stuff players would do who actually play alot would figure out in minutes. nothing that i seen has deterred me from a kos mentality. it does look cool and the payday 2 feature will be fun for short while.

Again, I agree, kind of.  

I think there's as many different situations and playstyles as there are players so just writing off one new gameplay mechanic too quickly would be a mistake.  Every new addition to the game has to be viewed in context within the whole new scope of the SA, with all of the different and new gameplay elements that'll bring.  It's hard to do because there's so many subtle changes, each one of which will slightly change the way people approach the game.

I don't think Rockets intention has ever been to punish certain playstyles.  In fact the whole point of the game is to play exactly how you want.  Playing the KOS way is a perfectly legit playstyle and it works, however much that pisses off certain people it's just a fact.

What I do see with the SA though is more rewards for people that play tactfully, carefully and plan ahead, currently that's what the mod (and always has really) lacks.  Really atm in the mod there's no real rewards for having a long-tem character (apart from personal satisfaction). In the SA that'll change, or at the very least there'll be more incentives for people to try to stay alive for longer periods.

It looks to me like in the SA the extra layers of depth/complexity will reward players that take time to plan and have patience etc. and for me that's how DayZ should be as a game.  Now that doesn't mean KOS levels will drop because you can be a KOS player that plays tactfully and plans ahead etc. but hopefully at the very least players (whatever their playstlye) that do take the time to think ahead and invest a bit of time in the game will have a distinct advantage over those that don't.

The KOS playstlye is here to stay, it may rise it may fall, it may not change at all.  Nobody really knows to be honest because DayZ is unique, there's simply nothing else out there to compare it to which is why I enjoy discussing it.  Like it or loathe it there's not one game out there doing anything similar.

One thing I can absolutely say is a fact though:  If you play the SA the same way you currently play the mod, you're gonna have a bad time.  That doesn't mean that if you're currently a KOS player that has to change at all.  But you will have to switch up your tactics to adjust to the SA new layers of depth.

tldr;  Interesting times ahead.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

Looks better and better every time. The rat animation is great. I have an idea about taming the rat and train it for yor needs (fetch small objects, plant a bomb on it, distract zombies). Also handcuffing a zombie will be awesome.

fraggle one thing that worries me is the amount of customization

how the inventory is set up screams of dlc. hope thats not true like buy a custom face mask noone else will have and such ala tf2 and the like.

in a business game with lots of customizing this often comes at some  point will all the costumizing and stuff be totally free?

fraggle one thing that worries me is the amount of customization

how the inventory is set up screams of dlc. hope thats not true like buy a custom face mask noone else will have and such ala tf2 and the like.

in a business game with lots of customizing this often comes at some  point will all the costumizing and stuff be totally free?

Well Deans always said he hates micro-transactions/paid for content etc (from what I've read), in fact I think he's said it's pretty much ruining the games industry.  I guess that's the bonus of having a game developed by an actual gamer and not some dick with a suit and a spreadsheet.

Up until the full release of the game everything within the game will be a one-time purchase.  So if you buy in early to the alpha (at a cheap price to reflect that it's an aplha build), that's it you own the full game.

After the full release of the game who knows?  Maybe extra maps etc will be released as DLC, maybe they'll just be released via a content patch, I really have no idea but I would be genuinely surprised (and pretty pissed off) if they ever went down the path of releasing additional gear/custom avitars and all that bollocks via DLC's etc.  I really don't think that'll ever happen judging from what I've read in the past.

Deans said that they're aiming to have hundreds if not thousands of items in the game but as I understand it that'll all just be part of the game itself.

Also -  I Know DayZ is a different beast to Arma but BIS have a good track-record over the last decade.  They have released DLC for Arma etc but it's always been full of content to the point where each one could almost be considered a new game in it's own right, so if we do ever see DLC's for DayZ in the future I'd imagine it'd be pretty substantial and not just gimmicky rubbish to empty our wallets.

Edited by Fraggle
spelling :/
  • Like 6