SmashT

DayZ Developer Blog 7th September 2013

I actually really like the idea of starting with random clothing.  I think many of the things should be off limits (tactical vests etc) but starting with just some random but basic clothing (or none at all) would be a nice touch.

I agree. Tactical vests, and camouflaged clothing should not be in as starting equipment. But the normal civilian clothing should be random when you spawn. Also you could spawn with damaged clothes would make it even better, it would urge you to go out and find something fresh. But you don't have to.

Would definitely make it interesting at the starting minutes and hours.

Like you spawn with Pink pants and a yellow t-shirt and damaged shoes you just go top speed into the next town because you want to find something less colorful and not broken to hide yourself better and continue your journey.

Edited by NightmareGER
  • Like 4

I agree. Tactical vests, and camouflaged clothing should not be in as starting equipment. But the normal civilian clothing should be random when you spawn. Also you could spawn with damaged clothes would make it even better, it would urge you to go out and find something fresh. But you don't have to.

Would definitely make it interesting at the starting minutes and hours.

Like you spawn with Pink pants and a yellow t-shirt and damaged shoes you just go top speed into the next town because you want to find something less colorful and not broken to hide yourself better and continue your journey.

i think normal attire like old jeans old trousers with wear same as shoes is a must so you do go out to find the items needed to start.

relevant spawns as well to loot locations needs to be well thought out in the original mod the spawns are often not well placed. make the whole map and locations for loot places to go. each place have a item that makes you travel to visit it so its not just a lets go churn because its where all your gear will be.

Two questions about the damage and degradation mechanic.

Will items naturally degrade? And will environment affect this? For example will boots degrade faster if you run in the woods but stay in good condition if you run on roads? Same with shirts if you crawl through bushes.

Will there be similar textures for your character? If you have been punched a lot will your chest change texture to one with lots of bruises? Will a leg that has been shot have a texture with a wound on it? In short if you take all your clothes off will you be able to see what shape your character is in?

• Like 1

... and now I'm cursing the fact youtube isn't working for me (despite my 30/30mbps down and up)

Will items naturally degrade? And will environment affect this? For example will boots degrade faster if you run in the woods but stay in good condition if you run on roads? Same with shirts if you crawl through bushes.

Dean has said that boots will degrade as you use them, don't know about any other items though.

• Like 1

Regarding the handcuffs / bound state, I would really like to be able to run with handcuffs. It allows you to escape your captors when the time is right and just imagine running across a handcuffed survivor, what would you do? The wiggling free stuff could be bound to the fire button, as you can't really do much else while cuffed. Another thing that would be cool is adding the move where you step over your hands so they're not on your back anymore.

Regarding the handcuffs / bound state, I would really like to be able to run with handcuffs. It allows you to escape your captors when the time is right and just imagine running across a handcuffed survivor, what would you do? The wiggling free stuff could be bound to the fire button, as you can't really do much else while cuffed.

rocket pretty much confirmed on reddit that this won't happen even in the future due to animation restrictions and such. Sad, I would like to see this as well.

• Like 3

rocket pretty much confirmed on reddit that this won't happen even in the future due to animation restrictions and such. Sad, I would like to see this as well.

Thanks, the rest of the devblog left me very pleased so I won't let it bother me. I understand the animation restrictions I think, arms clipping through bodies and stuff. especially with the different clothes, backpacks etc. so it's probably a good thing that he pretty much confirmed it :) Still leaves us with enough fun to be had by the looks of it.

I do wonder about the damage system though, do you have to hit vital spots to kill people or can you just perforate someones hand and kill them that way?

awesome devblog! i love that magazines and ammo are separate now. i complained about that months ago in the guns recommendation thread.

on magazines, i saw in the devblog that you reloaded all 30 rounds in a single click nearly instantly.  is there a way you could create an animation showing loading 1 round at a time, and whenever you click reload, it starts the animation and continues until you move or interrupt it until the magazine is full.  each round should take .5 to 1 second to reload, which is still faster than real life.  having to reload each round would make magazines that much more valuable for the guns that require magazines.  magazines design is as important as the gun for magazine fed weapons.  in combat, having to stop and take 20 - 30 seconds to reload an empty mag would be very disconcerting, however, wherever you interrupted the reload would give you that many rounds.. so 10 seconds and you would have 10 rounds to reload into your rifle! this could also be used to top off partially filled magazines as you find more ammo for them.  takes 1 * %time% for each round missing.

non magazine fed weapons would also get a boost.  winchester, the revolver, and the shotgun would be much more interesting during early survivor days. 

this would also help balance very high end and rare weapons as most of them are magazine fed.  a semi auto .50 cal with a single 5 round magazine and 20 loose rounds is a less desirable weapon vs. a DMR that might have plenty of m14 mags available.

• Like 3

i think normal attire like old jeans old trousers with wear same as shoes is a must so you do go out to find the items needed to start.

relevant spawns as well to loot locations needs to be well thought out in the original mod the spawns are often not well placed. make the whole map and locations for loot places to go. each place have a item that makes you travel to visit it so its not just a lets go churn because its where all your gear will be.

Could you rephrase that? i don't know why but somehow i am not able to follow, what you are trying to say with that at all.

Not sure if i am reading it wrong or what not.

Anything for those of us who don't want to use guns?

I'm a DayZ Survivor and tend to wander well away from people. So it's scavenging and hunting mainly.

Will there be similar textures for your character? If you have been punched a lot will your chest change texture to one with lots of bruises? Will a leg that has been shot have a texture with a wound on it? In short if you take all your clothes off will you be able to see what shape your character is in?

I was wondering much the same. Does the rain make my character wet and cold and does salt water degrade the items?

Regarding the handcuffs / bound state, I would really like to be able to run with handcuffs. It allows you to escape your captors when the time is right and just imagine running across a handcuffed survivor, what would you do? The wiggling free stuff could be bound to the fire button, as you can't really do much else while cuffed. Another thing that would be cool is adding the move where you step over your hands so they're not on your back anymore.

We probably need to imagine that the legs are also tied somehow. At least that's what I thought when I see that.

• Like 1

No zombies and you wil be reinforcing a KOS mentality from the off, I mean what else besides explore and craft will players do? So players may be without zombies for a short while but players gaming patterns stick very quickly, and the SA could do without a dedicated COD like posse jumping on board from day 2, when they find out no zeds but survivor only.

i think this is supremely likely if there are no or little zombies. a buddy and i were discussing how to stop griefers (different from banditing).  the guy who just want to watch the world burn.  in the alpha, i think high end military weapons should NOT be introduced until very late in the beta or even at retail.  even regular military loot, ak/m4/sa.58, should not be in the alpha.  the alpha should have maybe 1 magazine fed pistol and 1 magazine fed rifle, initially to test magazine dynamics.  eventually, you can add the non magazine fed weapons.  the primary weapons in the beginning should be melee weapons and hopefully crafted/modded melee weapons.  i mean, a stick on the ground or off of a tree should let me beat at a zombie for a short while, and if i added barb wire or nails, then it should be that much quicker at ending a zombie.

to stop griefers in the long run, zombies need to aggro only on highly unusual behaviour.  walking slowly (crouch or full stand walk) through a town should not aggro a zombie unless you get very near or run into one, and if you do, then it should be a reasonable task to take out the zombie without alerting the entire town.  alternatively, if you start running, that should attract zombies and if you take a shot, then the zombies should get VERY angry and all descend on you with prejudice.  you could make players able to do a zombie like shuffle as a possible walk method that would avoid attention and allow more consistent zombie avoidance.  the cost of trying to shoot a player or zombie in a town with other zombies around should be very risky.  so either you melee another player, which requires getting very close and giving the target a better chance of getting away vs. shooting, or you have to stalk a player and follow them out of town before trying to waylay them.  

this would go along well with banditing by putting someone in handcuffs/zipties, since you would want to avoid zombie attention and towns and be less likely to execute someone after you get all the loot you want from them.  you could bandit and just leave them there alive.  

the zombies are currently a planned nuisance.  they are dangerous if caught off guard, but easy to get rid off, and there is almost no incentive to try going in sneaky as it is difficult to be 100% sneaky without spending 15 minutes crawling, and you end up aggroing anyways, which leads to the same ditching process. it is far more efficient to just plan to aggro and ditch, then move sneakily to your target and get out. new players get frustrated by the lack of zombie consistency, which is possibly part of the unknown, but there needs to be a more reliable means to move in a town non-aggresively, and a significantly more risky proposition if you try to turn aggressive on a person.  even getting surprised in a building by another player should try to end in talking and not shooting because even if a shoot out ends in your favor, the zombie horde will descend and make the success shortlived.

• Like 1

I feel like they should postpone release until the new zombie AI is implemented. If they release with the old AI, there will be people saying the game is a 'scam' with crappy zombies. If they release without zombies people would again think the game is a 'scam'/POS. We have been waiting long enough that a little more waiting really doesn't matter. I personally wouldn't care at all if they took an extra month to polish the game a little more and implement better zombies. Remember that most companies review the game on places like Metacritic even if it's in alpha. The game doesn't deserve to get bad reviews just because it was a bit crappy for the first couple of months. 

I don't think reviews are that big of an issue for DayZ TBH.

Not a penny spent on advertising, buggy as hell, (basically broken a lot of the time :P) . Massive success.

It's not like the fans who keep themselves informed are going to instantly change their opinions.

Besides, when something manages to prove bad reviews totally wrong (or vice-versa) it tends to be an even more powerful message in the end.  insert example here *

Edited by Chabowski

I think we should see a devblog that shows things like rain. I heard there was upgrades to the weather system, right? That'd be pretty sweet.

• Like 1

I think we should see a devblog that shows things like rain. I heard there was upgrades to the weather system, right? That'd be pretty sweet.

After Arma 3 rain I wouldn't expect anything. It got removed and replaced but now it's even worse than in A2.

I really like the way DayZ is going, but I have one major concern: Tents!

Considering that in the mod, you can carry backpacks with 24 slots plus the 12 slots in your immediate inventory, players can have enough guns, ammo, food and drinks to survive and go on a killing spree. And why wouldn't they? If they set up a tent, they can be sure that within 12 hours it is looted in highly populated servers. Reason being the visibility of the tents from above. Anybody in a helicopter can recognize tents too easy.

With all the crafting possibilities in the stand-alone, I assume that you will need to set up a tent to fill it with all those items that potentially allow you to build sth out of.

So all I am saying: Give the lone-wolfers a chance by not making tents being so easy to be spotted from a helicopter. After being abscent of DayZ for 2 months, I played again last weekend and as of now, tents are pretty useless.

So all I am saying: Give the lone-wolfers a chance by not making tents being so easy to be spotted from a helicopter. After being abscent of DayZ for 2 months, I played again last weekend and as of now, tents are pretty useless.

Forcing first person view in helicopters would make this less of an issue since it is so easy to scan all around or under you when flying as it is right now. Maybe we can have a poll about this, can't get enough of 'em!

• Like 1

A jury of forum members could possibly decide what course of action to take and decide whether a poll is justified or not. Of course we would have to make sure a majority stands behind this decision. Some kind of election perhaps?

• Like 1