DemonGroover

Subtle/Small Additions to make DayZ SA/mod more Hardcore

Make getting shot more penalizing. It should take a few in game hours for your guy to stop limping once he has bandaged and what not. A few hours so that it doesn't entirely kill your experience, but is still a bad thing. This could mean that if you shot someone and they got away, you could track them down with superior movement speed. Would encourage players to make things like camps to heal up or have a buddy to watch their back.

There are injured poses and animations in SA but like you say i'm not sure how long these last once you are "healed".

Dealing with a bullet wound could also include something other than a single bandage.  I imagine getting shot is a recipe for major infection.

• Like 2

There are injured poses and animations in SA but like you say i'm not sure how long these last once you are "healed".

Dealing with a bullet wound could also include something other than a single bandage.  I imagine getting shot is a recipe for major infection.

Yeah, pouring a nice amount of liquor on it before bandaging should improve your chances of not getting infected. Hell, you could even go so far as to say every hour you need to change your bandage, resteralize, etc., even with pistol shots.

Edited by TheDesigner
  • Like 2

I agree that a wound should be needed to look after carefully. Keeping it clean, changing bandages and so on should be a priority. While you are wounded movement speed should be decreased significantly and depending on wound certain actions should be disabled (climbing ladders, using weapons, chopping wood... whatever.)

• Like 2

I like that.

A broken leg should mean you could roll a bike downhill, but you're never going to be able to pedal.

You should also be able to use a bike sort of like a crutch, if you need to.

• Like 2

I like that.

A broken leg should mean you could roll a bike downhill, but you're never going to be able to pedal.

You should also be able to use a bike sort of like a crutch, if you need to.

That's another thing yeah; walking with bikes. Actually... I hope they introduce gears to cars so we can put vehicles out of gear and push them if they run out of gas. Or set them on fire and push them down a hill because mayhem is fun.

EDIT: Would of course also make the whole driving thing more interesting if you need to know how to shift gears and also give more of a reason to (sorry for bringing this up, no needless arguing intended) stay in first person in a car to be able to see the dashboard since it would help a lot more. Especially since I hope the current UI where you can see speed and fuel levels will be removed.

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 3

Be nice if those gas canisters could be blown up as well with a well placed satchel charge or grenade.

• Like 1

I know there have been discussions/suggestions like this before but the recent "hardcore" thread got me thinking again on small or even subtle changes that could be made to make DayZ (mod and Standalone) even more of a hard core survival experience.

I am not talking about disabling 3rd person here, or crosshairs, nameplates etc! That discussion is for another thread.

What i am interested in are little things that could be added to the Standalone (and mod if possible). And please, this isn't meant to be taken too seriously though i'd hope a few good suggestions could be made. Sorry, but I get bored at work (a lot).

So my "great" idea for Standalone:

You spawn with a shoe size.  Imagine, your feet are blistered and you finally find a nice pair of hiking boots - but oh shit they are a size 9 and you are only a 7. Could be a great job opportunity though - shoe salesman?

How about something as simple (though not for animations etc) as there being a chance you spawn as left handed.

OK i'm going back to work for a bit i think i need another coffee.

You should be able to choose what handed you are.  I am a lefty but I would shoot with my right.   I would use my left hand to swing clubs though.

As for shoe size this instantly brings up a movie scene.  

The scene is from the film "Stalingrad".  It is a 1993 film from germany and is in german.  There is a scene where the germans are holding the line in the middle of a harsh russian winter.  During the russian assualt, one of the German characters kills a soviet from his bunker.  After his kill he runs out of cover and tears the russian boots of the soviet.  He proclaims "they fit!" as he rips off his cheap german boots and puts on the russian ones. 

here is the scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToY09bkb3rg

This would a realistic feature, but I don't think it would really add any fun to the game.  I am impartial.  If it was added I would not be happy or mad.  

• Like 1

I think handedness gives us more of a personality on our characters. I'm just not sure if it should be randomly selected to a new character or we can pick that ourselves when we create our character..

Switching whatever hand you use on your weapon can affect you differently like accuracy and strength. This could serve more of a purpose since survivors can have one of their arms broken.

• Like 2

What about being able to adapt/modify clothing accourding to you're needs? Shoes too small? Cut off the toes! Its raining, you find some trash in trash bags - empty out the trash and cut holes for arms and head - you got a waterproof poncho, etc.

• Like 1

Two things that really needs to be added:

- When moving through rough terrain (forests mainly) movement speed should be significantly decreased. A good map reader knows that sometimes it's just more efficient to walk around a forest than through it, and it would make it more interesting when chasing someone if they try to hide in the woods as they can hide easier but has to move slower. As performance issues makes it impossible to include more foliage and such this would work to simulate rough terrain.

- You should be able to knock yourself out if you run with high speed into an object. If you run and freelook with Alt in a forest and run straight into a tree this should hurt you, or knock you down. I would also argue that there should be a risk of tripping when running (sprinting) in rough terrain based on factors such as your stamina and general health but this might be a bit too "random".

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 6

I'm left handed, and it seems you're calling this a disability. I'm so offended, I can't believe it. You're all so inconsiderate. I'm leaving the forums forever.

Don't worry, Fraggle is backwards too!

• Like 1

Two things that really needs to be added:

- When moving through rough terrain (forests mainly) movement speed should be significantly decreased. A good map reader knows that sometimes it's just more efficient to walk around a forest than through it, and it would make it more interesting when chasing someone if they try to hide in the woods as they can hide easier but has to move slower. As performance issues makes it impossible to include more foliage and such this would work to simulate rough terrain.

- You should be able to knock yourself out if you run with high speed into an object. If you run and freelook with Alt in a forest and run straight into a tree this should hurt you, or knock you down. I would also argue that there should be a risk of tripping when running (sprinting) in rough terrain based on factors such as your stamina and general health but this might be a bit too "random".

THIS ..and making it more risky to run backwards and sidewards

subtle but hardcore?

add a  mechanic where you would need to check your body for wounds to discover infections early enough before they get out of control.

like wounds on your feet or discover a yet undiscovered bullet wound you got from an intense fire fight. etc...

• Like 3

everything you do double, triple, quadruple the times you need to do it. this would even prevent griefing (edit: and even grinding if it would matter at some point) too some extent. want to built a barbed wire fence, you need much time and are exposed, due to the noise you make and the time it takes. eating should take much much more time. if you got shot you seriously must retreat as soon as possible to survive at all....

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

subtle but hardcore?

add a  mechanic where you would need to check your body for wounds to discover infections early enough before they get out of control.

like wounds on your feet or discover a yet undiscovered bullet wound you got from an intense fire fight. etc...

It should alert you, but if you're on heavy painkillers you might need to study yourself to pick up anything.
  • Like 1

subtle but hardcore?

Right click on the character model in the inventory to open an action menu where one of the choices is "Examine". You only examine the part you right click. I would much rather have a system like this than "You have a flesh wound on your leg!" appearing in the corner. Of course most wounds would be noticed straight away but maybe if you don't examine from time to time you miss that the wound is getting infected or that rash you have since you crawled through poison ivy.

• Like 7

Right click on the character model in the inventory to open an action menu where one of the choices is "Examine". You only examine the part you right click. I would much rather have a system like this than "You have a flesh wound on your leg!" appearing in the corner. Of course most wounds would be noticed straight away but maybe if you don't examine from time to time you miss that the wound is getting infected or that rash you have since you crawled through poison ivy.

That sir is a pretty awesome suggestion.

I had a similar idea for studying your surroundings too.  Eg:  Context menu - study surroundings = The air feels cold and there is a light breeze, you sense that maybe rain is coming.

That's a crap example but you get the idea.  It means you only get the info when you want it and players that don't bother to check will get caught out at times.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

I agree with Death Dealer. I really hate to burst your bubble because I, too, enjoy brainstorming about ways to improve or change things, but as he said, although it sounds like it would make things more realistic (as it would), it would just make the game so much harder that it would make many people not want to play.

Think about this, if you did that to shoe size, wouldn't you want to find clothing that fit your character as well? Coats for changing weather (which would be cool, but who would want to have to carry a heavy coat in their pack for colder weather? lol), new jeans or cargo pants when yours got worn out etc. This would have to impliment:

1) Custom sizing for each character

2) "Wear and tear"/deteriorization system for clothing and gear

3) Changing temperatures and implimentation of weather effects on characters (being cold, or cold + wet, or getting heat exhaustion etc)

Although these things would make it more realistic, I think that implimenting these things wouldn't be of paramount importance such that other things are omitted from the game in order to have these; not to mention that it would become too monotonous to find new clothing alongside already having to find food, water, gear and ammo to stay alive.

Just my 2 cents :)

Only two cents? cheapo!!!

I think choosing how you hold your gun would be cool.  With your pistol you could choose to fire with one hand or two hands. one hand = faster draw time less accuracy more recoil, two hands = slower draw time more accuracy.  With main weapons such as the M4 you could hold it with one hand should your other arm get shot.  This would limit you to hip-firing and make reloading take forever.  Bolt action guns would have the bullet in the chamber and then cocking takes a long time since you have to brace it against something to cock it one-handed.

EDIT: thats my 5 CENTS!

Edited by creeperbane
  • Like 2

age would be nice, also fitting into clothing and shoes..maybe you should be able to wear everything but with some penalties such as fatigue pain or less warming

As a matter of fact, left handed people would adapt better in a post apocalyptic scenario, exactly because we have to learn to adapt to a right handed world as soon as we start going to school (children's safety scissors anyone?), and in a scenario like this quick adaptation is the most important factor. Also we're cooler, minority and such  :P

Not to mention diy and scavenging skills you develop over time, especially if you're a pc gamer. Tracking obsolete good quality gaming mice, modding keyboards and such. I'm telling you, we're ready for the zeds.

Edited by h3l1x

Ummm...

You can't just say "matter of fact" and then talk bollocks. ^_^

If you use "left-handed" anything, then you didn't do any adapting.

On that note. We're going to need left-handed hatchets, left-handed handcuffs and a pair of thick rubber-gloves (so we don't have to risk catching left-handed)

:P

I'd love if sustained depleted stamina radically increases hunger/thirst, so there'd be a significant difference between walking and running. If you're not a silly person, who likes long walks in Cherno, you'll need to carry way more food and water.

• Like 2

Never did buy/use a specific "left-handed" anything. Therefore, adapting (in case you don't get it that means "learning to use stuff that are not made to be used by you and coming up with ways to overcome this problem) both in practical and mental ways. Your argument is invalid, nice attempt though  :P

Ah, I've used left side hockey sticks, but that's it. Also many right handed people use them as it's a matter of preference/playstyle. So doesn't really count.

Edited by h3l1x

I clearly misunderstood your point about searching for PC peripherals then.

In any case, you speak quite good English, for a left-hander. It's a shame the apocalypse will wipe you out.

(j/k, my brother's a mutant, too)

@ Dallas.

That's the sort of thing that'd work well with an encumberance scale, determining how much you can carry without getting puffed.

That way, it'd be a little bit of a balancing-act between carrying all the provisions you need and being able to move around reasonably quickly.

Also, speed of movement.

You should be able to ditch your pack, to lighten your load, if you need to split in a hurry.

And while looting, you're probably going to be better off if you're not clunking around wearing everything you own.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1