kyle939

Use scraps to craft ammo or other stuff?

Hello?

Just a thought really.

Why not find scraps or something and add more of a realism. Metal, gunpowder, cartridges etc, and then when you get enough craft or create a few rounds that you can use in whatever gun you have.

So crafting 5 extra bullets to use, which those 5 extra ones might help just that little bit better you know.

I am sure this has been suggested before but I do not know what you would really call it, because the options could be added to more stuff.

Creating molotovs, ammo, traps, etc.

Could be taken a long way for a post acpocolypse which is what you would do in real life.

Kind regards

Crafting ammo is a very difficult procedure. The fail ratio would be very high.

• Like 6

Primer, bullet, casing, powder.

You should be able to get led/ steel from scraps for bullets or shot for shotguns.

Casings from ammo boxes that aren't quite full or ground for a we while after shooting, which would also increase ability to track players.

I dunno where to find gunpowder... Creepers?

Primers you can probably pick up where ever you find gunpowder.

To refill shell casings requires extremely specialized tools and a very good knowledge of guns/ammunition.  You cannot just pour some gunpowder in a shell and slap a bullet on.  gunpowder would be very hard to get but you can find it at some stores like home depot.   If you had the proper tools and skill-set then by all means fill up your old casings.

• Like 6

Like it's easy to make casings...the projectile itself is fairly easy but lead alone will plug your barrel after very few shots = gun ruined.

It takes a lot of steps to form a casing out of a stamped disc, you need machines with a lot of power and a lot of lubricant. AND OF COURSE YOU NEED THE TOOLS, you don't happen to be a trained tool and die maker, because i learned that job back in 1995 and i know what it takes to form metal pipes and sheet metal into exhaust systems, it's practically the same procedure. A hammer, an anvil and willpower won't do the trick. It's not something you would do in mass production in your garage. A hand press also needs quit the amount of "manpower".

Edited by Enforcer

Yeah I know which is why I submitted a basic idea which can be edited and things changed.

I just thought the ability to craft or create items to help your survival more would be greatly used and helpful

Yeah I know which is why I submitted a basic idea which can be edited and things changed.

I just thought the ability to craft or create items to help your survival more would be greatly used and helpful

I know, but i just wanted to show that not everything that you find in those post apocalyptic games just isn't possible for the average DayZ loner. Even i wouldn't even waste a thought of making ammo from scrap with my experience. You are pretty helpless is you need powered tools in a post apocalyptic scenario, everything that was a given is suddenly very difficult.

True enforcer but why not this...

The tools to create the stuff you must find in warehouses or something and they cannot be moved.

Like a bench. So to make a real bullet you need a press and it is a heavy bit of kit which I do not suspect you carry it around.

Just stationary gear to create just a thought.

No, please don't.

Make bullets be found in boxes and you need a mag. to shoot them. (which is what happens now)

It just doesn't make sense. In DayZ you are a regular person and you do not have the tools neither the knowledge to do something like that.

As Rocket said, he wants to change the unrealistic things like:

Oh you found a heli? No worries, in DayZ it's so piss-easy to fly it you only need to press 1 button to accelerate and steer with the mouse.

Edited by Hosty
  • Like 3

True enforcer but why not this...

The tools to create the stuff you must find in warehouses or something and they cannot be moved.

Like a bench. So to make a real bullet you need a press and it is a heavy bit of kit which I do not suspect you carry it around.

Just stationary gear to create just a thought.

I think people trying to survive in an apocalype shouldn't try or even think of waging WW3. KoS is the imo the wrong mentality for this game. Not that it isn't unrealistic to find tools if you look into the right places but it's like with beeing able to draw freely in game ---> PENISES.

No, please don't.

Make bullets scarce and that's it.

This

• Like 1

Fair enough.

We all have a view and I accept everyone's.

Was just a thought :)

• Like 1

No, please don't.

Make bullets be found in boxes and you need a mag. to shoot them. (which is what happens now)

It just doesn't make sense. In DayZ you are a regular person and you do not have the tools neither the knowledge to do something like that.

:thumbsup:

And where are you supposed to randomly find powder, primers and bullets?

• Like 2

crafting in dayz should rather go in the direction of "attach sawblade to baseball bat with nails and wire" instead of "craft subsonic ammunition using your swiss army knife and duct tape"

• Like 2

E47 yeah that could work but then it kinda steps to Dead Island I think but then what everyone forgets is that crafting is optional.

You do not have to craft. You can leave stuff there you know and just continue.

Basicly what I'm hearing is, you want this to be Fallout: New Vegas?

It irrelevant what type of crafting system they use from any game...in the end it's just about beeing able to create weapons of all kind...not about "turning swords into plowshares". Kind of like the penis drawing thing...

E47 yeah that could work but then it kinda steps to Dead Island I think but then what everyone forgets is that crafting is optional.

You do not have to craft. You can leave stuff there you know and just continue.

what has the optional nature of crafting to do with it?

my point is that crafting, no matter how optional, needs a certain degree of realism as in how sophisticated the outcome may be.

crafting materials should be simple, appropriate for the civilian (rural, industrial and urban) setting. fitting the materials, the items crafted should be similarly simple.

its easy to craft primitive melee weapons, or maybe even a mediocre bow/crossbow/slingshot with wood, scrap metal, rubber, textiles found in civilian environments. you could build primitive explosives like pipebombs or booby traps with civilian grade chemicals and materials like ammonium nitrate, epoxies, aluminium, charcoal etc., you can make time triggers from alarm clock timers and tilt switches with bearing balls or thermometer mercury (the IRA for example had elevated homemade IEDs to an art form in the 70s and 80s)

but crafting firearms and related ammunitions is nothing you can do without proper tools and training. you cant just sit down behind a tree and craft additional 5 mags for your L86A2 using the piles of scrap metal you found behind a barn ten minutes earlier.

so yes to "craft other stuff" but no to "craft ammo"

EDIT: i dont want to make the impressionthat crafting should focus on weapons. i think one of the first things we should be able to craft are bandages, using scrap textile and sanitizer maybe.

Edited by e47

I know what you mean which is why I said etc.

Just allow crafting to be apart of the game. You can choose where you want to craft or just leave if and find the desired gear you want without crafting.

Still good to craft stuff.

I know what you mean which is why I said etc.

Just allow crafting to be apart of the game. You can choose where you want to craft or just leave if and find the desired gear you want without crafting.

Still good to craft stuff.

crafting system has been confirmed in a devblog in March.

Along the lines of "crafting ammo" my mind goes back to this....

"Blunderbusses were also commonly carried by officers on naval warships, privateers and by pirates for use in close-quarters boarding actions.[11] The Portuguese marines used it widely in the 17th century. Many types of ammunition, including gravel and sand, could be shot."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blunderbuss

Primer, bullet, casing, powder.

You should be able to get led/ steel from scraps for bullets or shot for shotguns.

Casings from ammo boxes that aren't quite full or ground for a we while after shooting, which would also increase ability to track players.

I dunno where to find gunpowder... Creepers?

Primers you can probably pick up where ever you find gunpowder.

Black powder is "relatively" easy to produce, sulfur, salpeter and coal. It's really less than ideal in modern rifles tho.

You can build "working" homemade primers from soda cans andhimpact sensitive compound such as those found in some foreworks, if you won't or can't synthetise them.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Black powder is "relatively" easy to produce, sulfur, salpeter and coal. It's really less than ideal in modern rifles tho.

You can build "working" homemade primers from soda cans andhimpact sensitive compound such as those found in some foreworks, if you won't or can't synthetise them.

Yeah but that stuff is highly corrosive, if you don't clean your gun right away and that will be the norm with survivors because you can't keep cleaning your weapon after every shot they can toss the gun away in the evening.

But you still need some tools to form the cups and need find the materials...?