rocket

DayZ Developer Blog 3rd August 2013

Thanks for the update.  I love the look at injury... seeing the guy limp away is very cool.  And, the other stuff that was showcased is really fantastic.  It's coming along!

Whether or not it's the focus at the moment, I was wondering about the zombie targeting mechanics and the concept behind sight and sound when it comes to detection of players.  This has been and continues to be something worked on with the mod and is, of course, a very difficult thing in the mod to get working well.  My thought has always been that sight and sound should operate differently - that zeds should only truly aggro on two occasions - when they see a player, or if there is a sound loud enough to "startle" them into a frenzy.  My thought has always been that for walking, small gun fire and certain repairs that zeds should become "interested" in the target and move toward it, but not aggro unless they see a player - even if the player isn't the one making the noise.  And, that when attracted to noise, they go toward where they heard the sound and then roam again if no player is seen.  I've expressed this idea in more detail here.

So, my question to rocket, I guess, would be: What is the zombie AI like in terms of player targeting?  And, are there plans to make it more dynamic than it currently is in the release version of the mod.  I'm not referring to pathing - which I've seen and read is changing dramatically, but to player detection.

As for the leaping zeds, apart from the current frequency of that particular type of animation, I like it.  It doesn't seem unrealistic as a running leap - again, people are really exaggerating the distance.

As for the comments about the "energy" and strength of the zeds, it all depends on the nature of the infection.  Rabies, for example, is an infection... that doesn't seem to make the body weaker, it affects the brain.  To be infected with something doesn't mean you necessarily become weaker... there are many neurological parasites that simply alter behavior - cordyceps and toxoplasma gondii, for example.  It is believed that roughly 1/3 of the world population is infected with toxoplasma gondii - a parasite that has been linked to schizophrenia. Does this mean those people are physically weaker?  If a parasite alters the way adrenaline works in the body, for example, you could see infected people with incredible strength and speed.  So, open your minds when it comes to the nature of these zombies... what "zombification" by parasite can do in the real world is, frankly, disturbing.

Edited by entspeak
  • Like 3

Dealing with peoples sexual orientation is a bit of a slippery slope. For one a person who is not of the same sexual orientation could feel offended by said comments. Which in turn makes them want to say something hurtful to the other person. To make a long story short if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. Also the SA looks amazing. Did Rocket say there will not be a release date set? They plan to just release the game as soon as it meets their standards? Have the settled on a price for it yet?   

Did Rocket say there will not be a release date set? They plan to just release the game as soon as it meets their standards? Have the settled on a price for it yet?   

No, no release date set... he just says it's not ready as of this particular multiplayer test.  Yes, he describes some of the elements he feels should be in place before the alpha can be released.  At the moment, he says there's nothing really there for people to enjoy playing.

I wish they could do an Early Access release like BI has done with Take On Mars, but perhaps it's not even ready enough for that level of release.

Dealing with peoples sexual orientation is a bit of a slippery slope

I think slippery slope refers to a fallacy where one deduces the falsity of a whole argument because several premises are false.

I think slippery slope refers to a fallacy where one deduces the falsity of a whole argument because several premises are false.

Either way it has nothing to do with the recent devblog, so for the last time lets get back on topic.

Either way it has nothing to do with the recent devblog, so for the last time lets get back on topic.

Yessir!

*goes back to discussing when the game will be released*

*Orlok posts video titled "there is no release date"*

"I give him beans*

Endless forum cycle.

• Like 1

Hi , so did I miss the : More to follow on the devblog over the weekend. ? Or did they miss the milestone :D

• Like 1

Hi , so did I miss the : More to follow on the devblog over the weekend. ? Or did they miss the milestone :D

What? They passed the milestone a couple of days ago and the devblog in the original post is a result of the milestone. Can't tell if trolling or just really really dumb.....

To be fair the caption under the video (which was posted -after- the screenshots) does say "More to follow on the devblog over the weekend", which would imply that there is more to come.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3

ooh, just noticed in this pic from the devblog, the beans description says 100% remaining, suggesting you will be able to ration your consumption of food.

also, wonder how the condition will effect food.

RaTsoxF.jpg

Edited by Fluxley
  • Like 7

ooh, just noticed in this pic from the devblog, the beans description says 100% remaining, suggesting you will be able to ration your consumption of food.

Food below good condition will give you the shits, every 10 minutes, you stop, huddle over and proceed to mess yourself. This attracts zombies to the smell.

Edited by sabre05
  • Like 1

RaTsoxF.jpg

who would have thought ;)

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1ipu5g/rocket_rationing_of_consumables_discrete_or/

• Like 2

Food below good condition will give you the shits, every 10 minutes, you stop, huddle over and proceed to mess yourself. This attracts zombies to the smell.

well this actually could be a thing. all of it!

To be fair the caption under the video (which was posted -after- the screenshots) does say "More to follow on the devblog over the weekend", which would imply that there is more to come.

Yep. I've understood also that Rocket is also writing a devblog or something more to come at least.

I dont understand because Rocket not leave the SA, is supposed that will be PRE ALPHA (with errors) not complete version as for the long delay.

Yep there will be more(Devblog Vid 7:42) Rocket: "And I'll be posting more detail in text on the devblog over the weekend as well, once I had a chance to sleep"

Err guys, I hate to piss in your punch but I think that was the devblog in it's entirety.

Err guys, I hate to piss in your punch but I think that was the devblog in it's entirety.

Why you assume that? also vid description says: "More info and screenshots are being released on the dayz devblog over the next few days."

And as far as the moment passing is concerned, this is not a AAA title with hundreds of staff and a 30 million dollar budget, expecting them to release a full game in a year is simply unrealistic.

Of course it's not a triple A but still believe the hype among the players is starting to go down and as far as I'm concerned everything has its "time". In fact many of the -hardcore- players I talked told me that games like 7DTD or RUST are gaining ground in the void that is leaving DAYZ.

As I said in my previous comment I hope we have an alpha soon.

Boourns to that noise!

Why you assume that? also vid description says: "More info and screenshots are being released on the dayz devblog over the next few days."

I don't assume anything, just saying what I think.  I may be wrong.

Will you be able to drink your own urine in SA like bear gryls demonstrates and survivors from any kind of bad situation have done ?    

Will you be able to drink your own urine in SA like bear gryls demonstrates and survivors from any kind of bad situation have done ?    

You would have to boil it and filter the ammonia out before consumption.

EDIT: Which would require a fire, first to boil and second for charcoal to help filter, and a sock, boil the water, let it cool, put charcoal in a sock and pour water into the sock, the liquid that comes out the other end would be good enough to drink.

Edited by sabre05

If you say that will be ultimate dev blog, then the game out soon, no?

If you say that will be ultimate dev blog, then the game out soon, no?

I believe the next Devblog will be in about 2-3 months, I may be wrong.