rocket

DayZ Developer Blog 3rd August 2013

#itsabug #NightmareFuel #WhyDayZIsntReleasedBQ-wiTTCIAIxXF1.png

As I said on twitter I swear that zombie is trying to vault that little rail.

• Like 2

#itsabug #NightmareFuel #WhyDayZIsntReleased

BQ-wiTTCIAIxXF1.png

This only reinforces that the game should be released. Gamebreaking bugs are hilarious.

• Like 4

Revenge your death with your friends and start a war against the people who killed you.

How in any way is this realistic?? Oh how I wish there was a way to completely seperate one avatar from the other newly created one after they have died.

I have no problem with your colleagues keeping the stuff you lost when you were killed, but then to assume the exact same role as before you died is sickening. This is why I was vying for it to not be possible to take on the same username as your previous character.

Edited by codestargod
  • Like 2

How in any way is this realistic?? Oh how I wish there was a way to completely seperate one avatar from the other newly created one after they have died.

I have no problem with your colleagues keeping the stuff you lost when you were killed, but then to assume the exact same role as before you died is sickening. This is why I was vying for it to not be possible to take on the same username as your previous character.

That's a silly thing to propose. You want realistic? Don't play this game. Simple. Realism is not when zombies respawn, items magically get put into the world when needed, invisible barriers to stop you leaving Chernarus and players respawning. If you truly wanted it to be realistic you'd suggest 1 life per server and if you died you'd get perma banned, maps have limited resources and zombies will eventually tick over to 0.

• Like 1

agreed 100%. its against even the basics of RPG in "MMORPG" lol.. but CoD kiddies will never understand this fact at all anyway, therefore no need to discuss tho.. waste of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCRPDD5R-UU

frankie has something to say about the state of the standalone

Yeah I saw this video last night and I agree with him on the matter.

Stand alone needs to have more stuff added to it.  It can't be the same as the mod right now or else people will get bored very quickly and either leave, or go right back to KoS.  Honestly I'm willing to wait several more months if we have to in order for the DayZ dev team to add extra things to the game.  I'd like for them to add as much stuff as possible before they release the game.  Like I've said many times before, I want SA to be released as much as the next guy but I don't want a terribly buggy and boring game released because the devs felt rushed to release the SA.

• Like 1

agreed 100%. its against even the basics of RPG in "MMORPG" lol.. but CoD kiddies will never understand this fact at all anyway, therefore no need to discuss tho.. waste of time.

Well, than i might suggest something:

What do you think about finding a supervirus which turns everyone in zombies and then you can try this 1 life than you can´t be the same person-thing(just to make this clear, I meant in real life). Because if someone who is not you two, tries to play this game and does not have this much experience in it, he´ll die and he´ll will be frustrated to change it´s name everytime he´ll die. And it´s bullshit if you need to choose another name for your character after you die. you know why this is bullshit? because it just doesn´t makes sense. Well it´s totally optional to change your name after every time you die, but forcing someone to play the same rpg-like thing you do is just plain wrong in this game, and please don´t just say everyone who´s not your opinion is a CoD kiddie, because that makes you a CoD kiddie. You know why games like arma are succesful? Because they don´t force you to be someone and to do something. Everything to you make in this game is completly voluntary which makes sense because otherwise nobody would play it^^ Your idea is the equal to forcing minecraft players to choose only one profession.

Edited by ToastiMan
  • Like 1

Well, than i might suggest something:

What do you think about finding a supervirus which turns everyone in zombies and then you can try this 1 life than you can´t be the same person-thing. Because if someone who is not you two, tries to play this game and does not have this much experience in it, he´ll die and he´ll will be frustrated to change it´s name everytime he´ll die. And it´s bullshit if you need to choose another name for your character after you die. you know why this is bullshit? because it just doesn´t makes sense. Well it´s totally optional to change your name after every time you die, but forcing someone to play the same rpg-like thing you do is just plain wrong in this game, and please don´t just say everyone who´s not your opinion is a CoD kiddie, because that makes you a CoD kiddie. You know why games like arma are succesful? Because they don´t force you to be someone and to do something. Everything to you make in this game is completly voluntary which makes sense because otherwise nobody would play it^^ Your idea is the equal to forcing minecraft players to choose only one profession.

Becoming a zombie after you die has already been suggested a million times and turned down.

The reason for the new character and everything is for the immersion.  Maybe changing your name shouldn't be a must but restarting completely when you die in DayZ makes the game that much more fun.  Tbh if I kept everything when I died then DayZ would just get boring quick.  The joy of finding a gun you've been wanting for a long time or just a rare gun is an excitement I haven't felt in any other game.  

• Like 1

Becoming a zombie after you die has already been suggested a million times and turned down.

The reason for the new character and everything is for the immersion.  Maybe changing your name shouldn't be a must but restarting completely when you die in DayZ makes the game that much more fun.  Tbh if I kept everything when I died then DayZ would just get boring quick.  The joy of finding a gun you've been wanting for a long time or just a rare gun is an excitement I haven't felt in any other game.  

That´s not the way I meant it.

Well, I do not say you should keep your gear and everything. But come on, changing your name everytime you Die? What about Youtubers, Clan Players, Persons who like their ingame names? Really?

• Like 2

Repeating myself here, but on the topic of people being fine with the game being delayed for months because they want a lot of new features or else nobody will want to play SA:

People want the SA because the mod, as it currently stands, is just rubbish to the point where a lot of the basic core mechanics are broken, buggy and/or unpredictable. As such, if the SA fixes those issues, people will play it.

The only things that are needed for an alpha release:

• A game where zeds can see you only when they look at you, hear you only when you're audible to them, run in a non-frantic way towards the player and die when shot or hit enough to kill them.
  • Proper optimized server and client tech to ensure smooth gameplay
  • Updated map with the new open buildings

That is the purest foundation of an alpha release. It's pretty much a proper, working version of the mod. Once that has been established and tested, it's time to start working on new features such as

• Leaping zeds
  • Bunnyhopping
  • degradation of weapons and clothing
  • Attachments
  • Crafting
  • Disinfecting
  • Various types of wounds
  • Basebuilding
  • Car customization

Really, people are getting annoyed with the infinite delaying of the alpha because they just want to play DayZ without the frustration that the mod causes.

Release the alpha now, and then work on a development roadmap for new features, but just get the basic game sorted without all these new features. My dear grandmother used to say "the more mechanics, the more breakanics".

Edited by Applejuice
  • Like 4

I completely disagree with the "extra things".

People want the SA because the mod, as it currently stands, is just rubbish to the point where a lot of the basic core mechanics are broken, buggy and/or unpredictable. As such, if the SA fixes those issues, people will play it.

The only things that are needed for an alpha release:

• A game where zeds can see you only when they look at you, hear you only when you're audible to them, run in a non-frantic way towards the player and die when shot or hit enough to kill them.
  • Proper optimized server and client tech to ensure smooth gameplay
  • Updated map with the new open buildings

That is the purest foundation of an alpha release. It's pretty much a proper, working version of the mod. Once that has been established and tested, it's time to start working on new features such as

• Leaping zeds
  • Bunnyhopping
  • degradation of weapons and clothing
  • Attachments
  • Crafting
  • Disinfecting
  • Various types of wounds
  • Basebuilding
  • Car customization

Really, people are getting annoyed with the infinite delaying of the alpha because they just want to play DayZ without the frustration that the mod causes.

Release the alpha now, and then work on a development roadmap for new features, but just get the basic game sorted without all these new features. My dear grandmother used to say "the more mechanics, the more breakanics".

Like I said though, without having extra things to do then people will go right back to KoS.  Why do you think that majority of DayZ players just go around kos'ing?  Because once you have the essential items there isn't much else to do.  Yeah you could sent up a camp, get a car and a chopper if you're lucky, but after that there isn't anything else to do.

Edited by Skat3rat

What will stop a guy from killing on sight just because he can build a base or board up a house? Being able to add silencers or scopes or rubber duckies to your guns won't stop him either.

People simply kill on sight because it's the easiest thing to do in the game and there are no strings attached. If you try rolling as a hero, you end up being punished left and right (you get shot at, if you shoot back you lose humanity and risk losing the hero skin, etc). No new content feature will change that.

What will, or can, potentially change that: have more lootable buildings (already in SA), have a bigger map (already in SA), make zeds a real threat that will cause a shitstorm when you cause a ruckus in a town (potentially already in SA?).

Frankie has a point when he says that it used to be more fun when bandits would just rob people, but you won't enforce that by giving players more shit to do. You'll stimulate that behavior when you make sure that someone thinks twice about firing a bullet.

Oh, and don't force all players to either Elektro, Cherno, NWA or Stary (that's where a bigger map and more lootable locations will help).

Edited by Applejuice
  • Like 5

I agree that adding more things won't stop KoS all together but what I do mean is that adding more stuff will hopefully give players more stuff to do beside just KoS.  For example, a player finally has a gun, ammunition, food and water, and basic tools.  However instead of not having anything else to do but kill players, he could work on building a base for example.  I don't mean that KoS will stop, but players will have more to do than go around shooting people.

Making zombies harder will surely help.  I'm not sure if adding enterable buildings will actually help but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'd say that he'd be more inclined to KoS when people come near his camp or threaten to interrupt the project he's working on. That's what I would do in a hostile condition.

KoS will be reduced significantly when you put the one pulling the trigger in as much danger as the one he's firing at. This can be done by making ammo rare (apparently, Chernorussians owned more ammo than food or drinks) and put a hefty price on firing a bullet, in the form of zed-attacks that can't simply be avoided by sitting in a bush or running through a small building.

Lovely example of the level of fear the zeds should induce: Last of Us. If you fire a round when zombies are near, you're in deep deep brown secretion.

Edited by Applejuice

I think Frankie needs to take his rose-tinted specs off.

People actually robbing others "properly" by holding them up, making them drop their gear and so on has always been a very rare thing in DayZ even way back at the start.  I know because I used to try it and 99% of the time people would just log out to save their precious gear.  To do it successfully you had to be extremely lucky and find someone willing to play along.

There were a few cool hostage and robbery vids around in the early days but many of those were staged.

In the SA measures will be put in place to stop combat logging etc and lots of the other small changes already made to the game will go some way towards reducing the KOS mentality or at least make it easier for bandits to rob people without killing them.

Lets not be silly though.  Many people KOS because it's a legitimate way of surviving.  That will never change.  There is a large number of players though that currently KOS due to boredome etc and that's as a result of playing the mod for 100's of hours.  The mod has VERY limited content, VERY simple survival mechanics and it's VERY easy to gear up.  It's those 3 things that make people shoot first and ask questions later.  That will all be changing in the SA, even before vehicles and base building are introduced.

Anyway, doesn't Frankie script and stage all of his vids?  If so he can carry on doing that regardless and manufacture whatever situations he wants.  Maybe he's worried that he'll now have to be thrown in with all of the other players and won't have his usual controlled environment.  His fans may have to get used to seeing him getting shot in the face a lot more often I guess.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 11

To be fair, I remember the first weeks when seeing another player was a moment of "Oh, look, another survivor! Let's go over there and see if we can help him!" rather than "Oh, shit, well I missed the coast anyway...". :)

I honestly believe that streamers are a part of the problem though. Their goal is to make exciting content and playing DayZ as a pure survival sim, while very exciting to play, isn't very exciting to watch. So of course new players watching will try to mimic that kind of playstyle. I very much hope that the SA won't cater to streamers as much as has been suggested (can't be bothered to dig up actual quotes, but I remember there being some). Stuff like Survivor GameZ is awesome but it unfortunately turns DayZ into just another competitive online shooter focusing on points.  

EDIT: clarified a bit

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 8

I'd be happy if nothing else was shown until release.  I already think there's actually too much information out there about it, more than most games at this stage.  Also, it'd be nice to actually have some surprises for people.

I don't mean he should stop all communication, tweeting how it's going etc is cool, just the full-on devblogs.  They take time andmost people seem to completely ignore the information within them or use it at a later date to try and stitch him up.  For me the cons just seem to outweigh the pros.

Although i do agree with you in principle, i think the backlash is somewhat brought on by Rocket himself. Part of me wants to slap every prick badmouthing him about progress etc as they clearly dont have a clue about game dev, but at the same time i can’t help by sympathise with them due to the shambolic way rocket/the team have handled external coms. 

Also i wholeheartedly disagreed with them assumption that dev blogs suck up such a large portion of time (not mentioned by you fraggle but by others) and the way in which rocket puts that across, complaining about having to do them, which just makes him sound like a child getting grumpy about homework.

As it has been mentioned so many times before dev blogs DO NOT have to be massive, they don’t even have to be videos. They can be an A4 page on what they are working on and what is on track and what isn’t. Also now I know how they work (as mentioned in the vid) ie in a sprint esq system very similar to the tech team at my business, it would not be hard for them to collate that into a few bullet points. If they have a scrum master this would be a 15 -30 minute job max.

I would much prefer that was done than rocket complain about doing dev blogs, yet spends a lot of time posting on reddit and getting abused. Although its appreciated, that sucks up FAR more time than doing devblogs guaranteed, and is arguably less useful to the community. Post a small update bi weekly and leave it at that and concentrate on working on the game. Best of both worlds. Less time spent on updating and answering people on reddit/twitter and we all stay in the loop with info that we can constructively discuss between ourselves, maybe with less senior people feeding back to rocket every so often on steller ideas and things that might actually be useful for the production of the game

Also fraggle i think you are the source of 70% or so of my beanz :P keep em coming big boy XD

Edited by triggy89
  • Like 9

I WANT DIS IN S.A!!1!one!!!

ALONG WITH DIIS WIND SOUNDS!!11!!!

Edited by SoulHunter
  • Like 2

I hope they get the movement and anims to sync nicely and feel fluid but still so that you cant do all asshat bunnyhopping and shit.
I like alot how they did it Alan Wake.

I think Frankie needs to take his rose-tinted specs off.

People actually robbing others "properly" by holding them up, making them drop their gear and so on has always been a very rare thing in DayZ even way back at the start.  I know because I used to try it and 99% of the time people would just log out to save their precious gear.  To do it successfully you had to be extremely lucky and find someone willing to play along.

There were a few cool hostage and robbery vids around in the early days but many of those were staged.

In the SA measures will be put in place to stop combat logging etc and lots of the other small changes already made to the game will go some way towards reducing the KOS mentality or at least make it easier for bandits to rob people without killing them.

Lets not be silly though.  Many people KOS because it's a legitimate way of surviving.  That will never change.  There is a large number of players though that currently KOS due to boredome etc and that's as a result of playing the mod for 100's of hours.  The mod had VERY limited content, VERY simple survival mechanics and it's VERY easy to gear up.  It's those 3 things that make people shoot first and ask questions later.  That will all be changing in the SA, even before vehicles and base building are introduced.

Anyway, doesn't Frankie script and stage all of his vids?  If so he can carry on doing that regardless and manufacture whatever situations he wants.  Maybe he's worried that he'll now have to be thrown in with all of the other players and won't have his usual controlled environment.  His fans may have to get used to seeing him getting shot in the face a lot more often I guess.

All this.

Love Frankie and I think he is generally right about holding off release to provide more extensive content but I don't think that has anything to do with the evolving playstyle of DayZ or the kos mentality. Really, that's another cool part about the game. There's been trends and an evolution.

Also, ups to Razor and all thems, cuz the public mod is outstanding right now, truly difficult in survival and pvp. And I think the notion the mod is overly buggy is an exaggeration. It's been really great the last 3 months or so. They've really enhanced the survival aspect of the mod which curiously has increased pvp, not cooperation, because the stakes are higher; there's simply less loot now. Frankie shows he's part of this chorus of people who wrongly believe that turning up the difficulty levels on things like zombies, loot, infection, etc. will cause players to be more inclined to work with each other. 

Violence, banditry and trolling are so great for the game! The 'get down bitch' bandit featured in Frankie's video was a classic character of DayZ. Haven't we all met a guy like that in DayZ? Yes, he's a nuisance, but that's how he is in real life! I think we tend to take our real life personalities and project them onto our characters in DayZ (a unique feature no one's noticed before?). We can do this primarily because of voice chat. 

Anyway, I'm particularly excited to see the tidbit on animations for handcuffing a guy. We all fall somewhere on the jerk scale, but a huge part of life in DayZ is doing battle with guys who are more jerky than you. And not only winning, but believing we play the game more honorably than the 'bandits'.

• Like 6

I WANT DIS IN S.A!!1!one!!!

ALONG WITH DIIS WIND SOUNDS!!11!!!

It's not going to be in the game, trust me. Garry's Mod has this and servers crash -- even strong servers -- due to the heavy loads these dynamic props are creating.

It's not going to be in the game, trust me. Garry's Mod has this and servers crash -- even strong servers -- due to the heavy loads these dynamic props are creating.

Rust uses pretty much that exact same thing and I don't think they have any problems...

• Like 2

Rust uses pretty much that exact same thing and I don't think they have any problems...

So do I. The game is based on that system anyway. Not to mention that they are probably in a worse position regarding Bohemia in regards to the resources, developers, servers and such.

Not:And they are in pre-alpha or sorta. And as far as I could see the servers are generally fine when not under attack or some dev doesnt break the game.

Edited by SoulHunter

Glad i'm not the only one who picked up on this. Although i think he got a stiffy seeing the new 'binding' feature.. him being the control freak and all.

• Like 2