rocket

DayZ Developer Blog 3rd August 2013

Looks like my binding idea wasn't so bad after all....

Second post in your thread details how it's been brought up "many times" before.

• Like 1

On the subject of gagging and binding: Now I can execute them with brutal neckshots at last *dr evil laugh*

Now we're talkin, go and blow the shit out of the Reddit mods space station and you'll feel a lot better.

Their group is becoming OP and needs to be stopped.

I shall not betray them XD

(plus I used alot of their shit and I would feel bad for taking their shit and then blowing them up)

Mudkipz are too OP too btw

Edited by RekliSnipez
  • Like 1

:( I've been trying to get my friends hyped about the standalone so I have people to play with, I was hoping that this would be the devblog that changed it all and hundreds of background features never before mentioned would pop up and turn the tables.

This has been worse than Xbone E3 reveal. DayZ has nothing and its still months away! What do I do?

Will I be dang ol' sexual security with the dang ol' people's hands I dang ol' strip, yo.

You want the dang ol' truth? Man, I'll tell you the dang ol' truth. Yeah, you see - man it happened a little something like this yo.

Yeah, man, I tell you what, man, dang ol' detector, man, government take away freedom of smoke, talkin' 'bout yo, man.

:( I've been trying to get my friends hyped about the standalone so I have people to play with, I was hoping that this would be the devblog that changed it all and hundreds of background features never before mentioned would pop up and turn the tables.

This has been worse than Xbone E3 reveal. DayZ has nothing and its still months away! What do I do?

Find another game. May I suggest Killing Floor?

• Like 1

ROAR!!

I demand that zombies are designed so that only head shots or melee hits to the cranium put them down for good. This will be beneficial for several reasons;

Not only will you be guarranteed to suffer from the shittings when you see that sob crawl back to its legs even after you hit it squarely in the chest with your shotty, but...with all the effort going into weapons, it would be good to have advantages of choosing one weapon over another. Here's why.

As it stands, all you need is an AK-47 to hit a zombie anywhere on the body to take it down permanently. Sniper rifles and weapons such as these stand to be one size fits all solutions. In this case, there would be little to no reason to think twice about holding on to that rusty old over-and -under shotgun found in a barn somewhere, if you came across an assault rifle as the exchange would be seen as an upgrade of sorts. This is totally unrealistic in every way, as each weapon class has its own advantages and disadvantages, with reasons to choose one over the other. This fact must be integrated into the game if correctness is our focus on weapons.

On the other hand, if it were modeled such that shotguns taking slugs, buck and bird shot, and handguns taking hollow point, weapons could still be the primary tool of choice for survivors who are not confident nailing headshots clean. Atleast they will have the ability to take a leg off, thereby crippling them from being a fast moving runing zombie to a slower crawling one, or at worst, knocking it off their feet thus giving the player enough space to make a clean getaway.

In addition, if a player decides to stick with a shotgun or some such weapon with less range, but more stopping power, the game will become far richer, as players choose their own destiny as to the kind of survivor they will be. Will they be long distance snipers, hanging on to that sniper rifle with scope, FMJ armor peircing rounds capable of headshotting  zombies and players from great distances, will they prefer to engage at medium range with a fully automatic rifle, or will they decide to get their hands dirty going in close range wih a shotgun and handgun with hollow-points for close quarter combat? Who knows? You will have to think a little harder about your choices before discarding one weapon in favor of another, in this case.

Another nice thing about this  is that a player with a set pair of binoculars can assess another player's capabilities and classification from a distance, by examining their weapon of choice, as the player would have placed themselves in a particular survivor 'class' by the simple act of choosing one weapon over another.

Finally, it could be used as a technique to curb that mad ruch for the military bases in an effort to secure an M-16 or some such weapon, as there will now be players who will decide that stopping power is probably better for them than range and penetration.

ROAR!!

Edited by codestargod

ROAR!!

I demand that zombies are designed so that only head shots or melee hits to the cranium put them down for good. This will be beneficial for several reasons;

Not only will you be guarranteed to suffer from the shittings when you see that sob crawl back to its legs even after you hit it squarely in the chest with your shotty, but...with all the effort going into weapons, it would be good to have advantages of choosing one weapon over another. Here's why.

As it stands, if all you need is an AK-47 to hit a zombie anywhere on the body to take it down permanently. Sniper rifles and weapons such as these stand to be one size fits all solutions. in this case, there would be little to no reason to think twice about holding on to that rusty old over-and -under shotgun found in a barn somewhere, if you came across an assault rifle. Honestly, this is boring and one very dimensional.

On the other hand, if it were modeled such that shotguns taking slugs, buck and bird shot, and handguns taking hollow point, weapons could still be the primary tool of choice for survivors who are not confident nailing headshots clean. Atleast they will have the ability to take a leg off, thereby crippling them from being a fast moving runing zombie to a slower crawling one, or at worst, knocking it off their feet thus giving the player enough space to make a clean getaway.

In addition, if a player decides to stick with a shotgun or some such weapon with less range, but more stopping power, the game will become far richer, as players choose their own destiny as to the kind of survivor they will be. Will they be long distance snipers, hanging on to that sniper rifle with scope, FMJ armor peircing rounds capable of headshotting  zombies and plyers from great distances, will they prefer to engage at medium range with a fully automatic rifle, or will they decide to get their hands dirty going in close range wih a shotgun and handgun with hollow-points for close quarter combat? Who knows? You will have to think a little harder about your choices before discarding one weapon in fasvor of another, in this case.

Another nice thing about this  is that a player with a set pair of binoculars can assess another player's capabilities and classification from a distance, by examining their weapon of choice, as the player would have placed themselves in a particular survivor 'class' by the simple act of choosing one weapon over another.

ROAR!!

No, just no...

The infection is a virus. So it would affect the bloodline and heart and vital organs...

Making head shots only isn't in the DayZ feel...

tbh...the hype got the better of me and i somehow expected "far" more nice and "obvious" features to see in a video...but well i'm ok with it somehow and find some little bits in every pic and the video the more i look at them / watch it. :) things need time. i think we all, some or at least i underestimate these things :)

edit:

btw seeing these nice backpacks, how about messenger bags or shoulder bags and maybe once in a while one of these:

ISnn6l6.jpg?1

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 3

No, just no...

The infection is a virus. So it would affect the bloodline and heart and vital organs...

Making head shots only isn't in the DayZ feel...

That's just 'cause you can't make a headshot and want an easy game. Fine. Headshots or Heart. There. Now what? Bet you still can't make either one in a single shot if the target is moving.

These are basically the only two main vital organs that should stop a zed clear in its tracks, and both still requires some skill. But, even so, from what I have been wittnessing, with a maximum of three shots, anyone can take down a zombie. There is no way that in 100% of these cases the shooter has hit a vital organ. What if you hit them in the stomach or lung while missing the rib cage, then? An FMJ will pass cleanly through, offering very little impact force, fragmentation and  collateral splash damage. Yet, zombies keel over and die instantly. This is bad modelling, mmkay? Very bad. Also, some of these zeds are military personel with FULL BODY ARMOR!! Yet, three shots anywhere, and they are dead, as if they were running around bucknaked!

Now fine... if you are saying that the zeds are merely suffering from an infection, then at the very least, if you hit them in a non vital area, they should bleed out and slow down instead of just dying. Also, it is quite obvious that these zeds have acquired some extranormal strength as a result of the infection. This alone should make them more difficult to take down.

Your comment is not sincere, because as it is, you don't even have to hit a vital organ to kill a zed. you just have to hit it enough times.

Also, read the rest of my post before posting, and you will see why I am right, and you are not.

Edited by codestargod

5bxue9.png

See the people on YouTube aren't all bad....and look how sexy I am

(yes IK that Bioshock infinite was only around 3-4 years but don't tell them ;))

Edited by RekliSnipez
  • Like 4

That's just 'cause you can't make a headshot and want an easy game. Headshots it is. There. I said it.

Also, read the rest of my post before posting, and you will see why I am right, and you are not.

No, you are just plain wrong, this isn't a George A Ramero film. This is DayZ where an infection has taken over the human populous, they don't rise from their graves, they don't fall down after getting shot 7 times to sit back up. They are humans with a virus which has symptoms similar to the PCP Crazed Miami 'zombie'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Q4dRzECUs

duke nukem 16 years man that was one of the worst games in history :lol:

taking time doesn't mean it will be good. doesnt matter how long you take if the work done is garbage . so time is irrelevant.

No, you are just plain wrong, this isn't a George A Ramero film. This is DayZ where an infection has taken over the human populous, they don't rise from their graves, they don't fall down after getting shot 7 times to sit back up. They are humans with a virus which has symptoms similar to the PCP Crazed Miami 'zombie'.

speculation: i think he wants it because he fears zeds won't play the proper role he wants them to play, ergo our playstyle will also "suffer", ergo KOS, PvP call it as you wish.

i am really curious if dean can manage this level of fear and tension caused by zeds, i'm worried at the moment...on the other hand maybe he didn't mean our npc antagonist all along...

duke nukem 16 years man that was one of the worst games in history :lol:

taking time doesn't mean it will be good. doesnt matter how long you take if the work done is garbage . so time is irrelevant.

No, time is certainly relevant, Duke Nukem was hyped for those 16 years, as new developers got it they promised bigger and better things, it's just unfortunate that the developers who got the game in the end did a 'disappointing' job. Without hype and being given a different name, I'm sure the game would have sold quite well as an homage to the retro FPS's. It just didn't live up to its long hype or its previous incarnations. 

However time is most relevant when talking about the shortness of development, for instance DayZ, it's come along leaps and bounds, despite what some whiny self-entitled pre-pubescent people claim. It's come a long way in a short time, but has longer still to go. 

• Like 2

In the video you keep saying about the next dev blog, any idea when that is?

The only thing I would like is more dev blogs while I wait.

• Like 1

rm017p.png

this is literally the worst counter argument I have ever read.

Read the full first and second post, please. I have already acquiesced to your request for general vital organ hits. Even in this case, my reasoning is still correct... A man, woman or child on anything that is capable of causing them to rip the flesh from off another grown man's body with his/her bare hands and eat it in a crazed fashion will clearly be more difficult to take down than your average sane person anyways. Not to mention if they are wearing body armor... Hence the reason why headshots  or heart counts for a one shot kill. Any other location and you can most certainly fugetaboutit. Armor peircing rounds from a high powered rifle are about the worst sort of ammunition to use on pure soft tissue in this case. You get insufficient stopping power for a crazed zombie at close range. You, sir, are quibbling over over minutiae without even knowing it. sigh. <_<

Edited by codestargod

read the full first and second post, please. I have already acquiesced to your request for general vital organ hits. Even in this case, my reasoning is still correct... No need to quibble over minutiae. sigh. <_<

Mate, people die in real life from being shot once in the leg for Vishnu's sake, and some people get shot 3 times in the chest and live, it's about luck really, weather bullets nick important organs or veins. However implementing a lung/heart/headshot to kill in 1 shot would annoying, sure the headshot things are already there, but the head is a big object with a big hitbox, organs however, are smaller targets. It's easier and more feasible to just kill the zombies in X amount of body shots rather than dance around the 'oh you shot him in his pancreas and once in his liver? He's still coming at you then'.

Having had a chance to view (dissect) the vid a few times now, I gotta say I dig the limping and "I shouldn't have eaten at Taco Bell" animations. Nice work.

Also, I'll go ahead and be the first to ask for substantially more blur next time...but only on Fraggle's nether regions. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Why is every frigging Vehicle Burnt out ???

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/144348-the-north-expansion-and-south/

Hi folks,

Some teaser screenshots for the development blog have been uploaded to the tumblr. You can view them at:

http://rocketkiwi.tumblr.com/post/57212375532/dayzdev-screenshots-from-todays-multiplayer

Will post the video link here once it is done.

Sorry for the delay!

Video:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/144348-the-north-expansion-and-south/

head shot = instant kill  (don't kow if a seperate hitbox for the heart is possible...would be cool though)

1-2 body hits  can't stop a zed

3-4 body hits  zed will fall down and start crawling to reach you

5- 6 body hits  zed is history

something like that...

(killing zeds seemed to easy in the vids)

Edited by Private Evans

Hi folks,

Some teaser screenshots for the development blog have been uploaded to the tumblr. You can view them at:

http://rocketkiwi.tumblr.com/post/57212375532/dayzdev-screenshots-from-todays-multiplayer

Will post the video link here once it is done.

Sorry for the delay!

Video:

Heard talk about the "North expansion" in the Dev blog that was released recently, and had some ideas and thoughts, feel free to add and discuss with me

Input:

North Expansion:

hmm talking about "North Expansion" all the way north it should add some sort of "End game" like if the new north part is (Namalsk) with hills, snow, cold and more aggresive "infected" like the well know Bloodsucker. because you have already talked about Utes down in the south somewhere so, what if you add more input of other maps in to the newly changed Chernarus.

using new clothing and heat packs to climb mountains up north to search for "end Game loot and items" maybe using special snow gear for travel, like skii, climbing with picks, warm cars not bikes.

back story for good gear and stuff in the north is simple, snow and cold makes it harder and has special "Infected" such as the well know bloodsucker and maybe some bigger zeds.

South Expansion:

this idea can also help developing a more south part, like a desert wich traveling through is hard, makes you thirsty and zombies are faster ( because you lose stamina faster while they almost got unlimited) + easy to get spotted in the desert and cars, bikes and other drivable stuff can have the advantage of beeing faster and not suffering from the heat that much.

General stuff:

New rail roads going in lands, rivers going in lands, maybe making train "events" wich will be able to high-jack and loot and maybe drive.

more rivers will be good, seeing there will be more bridges to make ambushes for both land and sea. (+1 Gameplay)

My ideas about the new expansion of Chernarus.. have any? please do comment