r4z0r49

Melee Weapon Quick Switch Help/Advice

So where going over the quick swap from main weapon to melee and well need some help from your guys.

Currently we have two systems in place.

1st, as you swap from main to melee and back you go into an animation putting the weapon on your back and then taking out the melee weapon but during this time your char can not move total of about 4 secs maybe a little less.

2nd, as you swap from main to melee and back its instant your char does not stop and no animations are run providing a true quick switch. 

Now we are a little stuck on what way to provide and are asking for your help. The 1st means you can not move while swapping weapons the 2nd means you can shoot someone and then change to melee.

Whats your thoughts ? If you can give us another option plz do :-)

• Like 9

Hello there

Im going to be difficult.

I loathe the way Arma "stops" you doing anything whilst changing over equipment (binocs are the worst offender) and so I tilt towards the insta change system, but is there a way you could implement a delay in time depending on what one is equipping?

Rgds

LoK

• Like 7

is it possible to have the quick-changeable weapon visible on the playermodel?

I'd prefer method one

• Like 1

I vote for animated version because it is more authentic.

The instant switch version would be useful against Z's but will be abused in PvP situations.

In my humble opinion.

• Like 6

I really dont like the insta change model.

Too arcady. 

For me i like the animations to run, even if the engine limitations mean the character has to stop for a few moments.

• Like 8

I really dont like the insta change model.

Too arcady. 

For me i like the animations to run, even if the engine limitations mean the character has to stop for a few moments.

This.

• Like 2

1puvb8.jpg

I'm not a fan of animations locking you in place so I'd probably prefer option 2 (instant). Have you thought about playing an animation when switching from melee > gun but instant when going from gun > melee?

Another idea is to have no animation play but have a 2-3 second delay before it instantly switches.

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 4

Hi,

The 2nd one with the same delay as the first one but without lock the char.

why not split the diffy and be able to move but not shoot or anything while switching...this way the animation sticks and the inability to do anything except walk or move around. 

But if given only those 2 choices, I vote for quick swap.

In real life, you can run while switching primaries or reloading, etc...not in arma land haha.

animation is normally always better and looks better if done right.

instant switch is good for actually playing though and in fast action last tihng you want is waiting for the animation like some of the arma 2 current animations.

so....id say id actually prefer for gameplay reasons instant. whether its more console or not . people arguing console reasons are on a loss for a start as it will come out on consoles at some point and mechincs will cater for that anyway.

another idea would be maybe urgency could be filtered in . so imagine i need to chop would there is no reason to whip a axe out instantly as its not life threatening. where as say 50 zombies are attacking me this is a urgent life threatening event which does need the quick swop over. maybe making a field around you that knows if its a zombie or pvp linked to speed of axe swop over man i went deep !

animation with walk if possible... instant with a delay of 4 segs, put in instant i will shot someone with a lee and the zombies will be no problem =D , so
Vote for animation

Animation Version please, this is supposed to be "realistic"

And its "realistic" to be rooted to the spot unable to move when pulling something off your belt? 

Gameplay wise I'd say the instachange is closer to realistic, although I agree with those that have suggested a small delay in being able to fire/swing the weapon drawn. 

Edited by spangley_special
  • Like 1

Option number one please,

I'd much rather have to stop for a few seconds and have the animation, And it's still a huge improvement over having stop and put your gun into your backpack everytime you want to get your hatchet out.

The quick swap is just far too instant and the lack of an animation just simply looks naff.

Edited by Fluxley
  • Like 1

Definitely the first one - will make people consider finding cover before going to re-enact The Shining.

Hello there

Im going to be difficult.

I loathe the way Arma "stops" you doing anything whilst changing over equipment (binocs are the worst offender) and so I tilt towards the insta change system, but is there a way you could implement a delay in time depending on what one is equipping?

Rgds

LoK

this. i was going to say the exact same thing.

Screw the animation! Being rooted to the ground for a simple action like a weapon switch belongs to the most annoying things in this game. Get rid of it for the pistols too!

Btw, would anybody elaborate what's the problem with the moving while animation thing is? Can't you guys confine the animation to the upper body only?

Maybe you should make a poll?

Btw curently in 1.7.7.1 when i remove the machete or axe from the tool belt i cant get them back in the tool belt.

I can only replace them with another weapon, or drop them.

Edited by marko4231

Kind of stinks the way ArmA (a game based on tactics and shooting) forces us to leave tactics behind on some of the most basic things.

I really wish there was a way to animate while moving, but since there isn't I have to vote for instant. Unless there's a way to at least delay the switch [while moving] for 2ish seconds.

My biggest reason for wanting the realistic easy swapping of weapons is to deal with defending myself from bandits. I want to be able to switch from melee to firearm quickly if someone starts shooting at me. The last thing I want in that scenario is to have to be glued in place for 4 seconds.

The instant change may seem too unrealistic, but so is being a statue for 4 seconds. Anyone who has actually done any firearm training would know that you don't hesitate to switch in a dynamic environment, and 4 seconds is more than twice the amount of time you want to take to switch weapons.

Edited by Cheboygan

I like the first one option better. Weapon switching should take some time imo, and I really like there to be animations that go with it.

But I don't like how the current animations 'lock' your char in place. I think you should be able to 'stop' what you're doing and do something else, even if the animation hasn't finished jet. But I guess that's hard or impossible to build, because you only gave those two options.

Either way, you're doing a great job! Thank you for all your work!