SmashT

July Round-up: "I want the alpha" < "I want the alpha to be good"

It's amazing how ignorant some people are,

You want a rushed game? Go buy COD

It's all part of the scam.. !

/sarcasm

What the DayZ Dev team is doing is what more game developers need to do. They actually listen to the community and don't rush their game, even to release it as an alpha.

I thought the thread said "I want to alpha". I don't know why, but it made me laugh.

Edited by TheDesigner

The simple fact of it is, the vast majority of those players who bitch and complain that the Alpha isn't here yet are going to be the same ones who would A) complain that the ALPHA isn't polished enough and has bugs, and B) Drop DayZ like a hot brick the second something else shiny and well-hyped comes along and distracts them.

The fans/players who understand and accept that anything worth having is also worth waiting for are much more likely to stick around and ride out those early bugs and go on to form the spine of the DayZ community. It's pleasing to see that Rocket understands that.

Edited by Target Practice
  • Like 8

We are really busy making the game, and the pace is such that by the time we'd finish a decent video blog it was so out of date that it would give the wrong impression.

Does it really take that long to do a devblog? Take a couple of screenshots of weapons and such and interiors and write up a couple of sentences? Seriously? Its poor management or lazyness. Nobody is assigned to do it so it doesn't get done, simple.

We want to make a great game, we don't want to rush. I think there are some who are thinking "I really want the alpha to be released!" who should actually be saying "I really want the alpha to be GOOD"

Yeah, I want the game to be good too, but I don't like it being delayed for so long because history will tell us that that's almost never a good thing. I can think of many titles that bombed over the years in similar circumstances and I can't think of any positive examples. So yeah, on one hand there's rushing it and on the other there is delaying it for over 6 months. With sporadic updates and continuously missing any dead line set.

I love Dayz but I have a really bad guy feeling that all I'm going to get is another thing that plays like a mod that I thought I was going to play over half a year ago. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

• Like 6

Why doesn't he clear this out that the release isn't even close to "soon"? It's simple. I know that it's just business and people's interest which => money but things have to be sorted.

We dont want the alpha to be good, we want it to be an alpha. THATS WHY ITS AN ALPHA!

We want to be part of the developement. Rocket said he wants input. You aint gonna get that if you dont release. Zzzzzzzz

Edited by IOnlyCampMyFireplace
  • Like 10

We dont want the alpha to be good, we want it to be an alpha. THATS WHY ITS AN ALPHA!

This. The alpha has to be buggy and glitchy lol.

continuously missing any dead line set.

See, I think it's because people think the devs keep missing release dates that their impatience grows out of control. When you ask people which dates they mean they usually quote somebody that was just speculating about a date based on a mis-quote.

6 months is a VERY short time in terms of game development.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 10

Last of Us delay's half a year, best game created...

DayZ Delay's half a year and a month, takes top spot :beans:

We want to be part of the developement. Rocket said he wants input. You aint gonna get that if you dont release. Zzzzzzzz

The game isn't in alpha yet though, that's the point. If it got released right now the only input he would get from anyone is that the game doesn't actually launch at all because the last update completely broke the build.

The game is not alpha. it's pre-alpha. ask any of the moderators who are testing dayz if it is alpha, and they will confirm it absolutely is not. I think it's close, but it's not alpha yet.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1hy7rn/i_want_the_alpha_i_want_the_alpha_to_be_good/caz493u?context=3

You need a release date, first I need the build to go alpha. Alpha isn't a date, it's a state.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1hy7rn/i_want_the_alpha_i_want_the_alpha_to_be_good/caz44bx?context=3

We aren't alpha yet. Alpha is not a time thing, it's when a game reaches a certain state.

The story is that if it took two years to make it right, and that meant drastically reduced sales. We would take two more years.

Luckily, progress is going extremely well. But the fact remains - we go alpha when we meet the requirements of it. Not simply as time passes.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1hy7rn/i_want_the_alpha_i_want_the_alpha_to_be_good/caz3w87?context=3

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 9

See, I think it's because people think the devs keep missing release dates that their impatience grows out of control. When you ask people which dates they mean they usually quote somebody that was just speculating about a date based on a mis-quote.

6 months is a VERY short time in terms of game development.

Traditionally yes, when you have to write an entire engine from scratch and basically everything else in the game including the map.

Traditionally yes, when you have to write an entire engine from scratch and basically everything else in the game including the map.

VERY few games write an entire engine from scratch. Most game devs do exactly what the DayZ devs are doing, take an existing engine that suits their needs and then work with it.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

Last of Us delay's half a year, best game created...

DayZ Delay's half a year and a month, takes top spot :beans:

You can't compare a triple A title like The Last Of Us with a game like DayZ. That's basically like comparing an elephant to a mouse.

• Like 2

me, I never buy alpha games, is buggy and 50% of game is not ready.

Is good for test games mistake and for fix but I want to play only full game with everything new and complete. Not to be bored with it before is ready.

I wait 1 more year is no problem for me. B)

This way I only experiencing the best of the games.

My friend say why buy something like a house but no roof or fridge for beer till next year. He right again :thumbsup:

Edited by KoS
  • Like 3

I honestly cannot wait for Standalone to come out. No matter how long it takes.

Yeah thanks Fraggle, I can read ;)

But I call BS now, It's playable, obviously (see damn reddit submods). What I don't get is: Why does he take out old guns now when it had been clear for ages that they will be taken out? It just doesn't make sense to me anymore.

But I call BS now, It's playable, obviously (see damn reddit submods).

It's playable when it's not completely broken. We've barely been able to test it for the last week due to a game-breaking glitch. If you'd have purchased the alpha and then not had access to it for a week would you be happy? Probably not.

Even though people expect to find bugs in alpha it still needs to be stable.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 8

It's playable when it's not completely broken. We've barely been able to test it for the last week due to a game-breaking glitch. If you'd have purchased the alpha and then not had access to it for a week would you be happy? Probably not.

Hell yes I would be. Instead of checking for news every 10 minutes I would be checking if the game works every 10 minutes.

VERY few games write an entire engine from scratch. Most game devs do exactly what the DayZ devs are doing, take an existing engine that suits their needs and then work with it.

Yeah, that's why the average game take 9 to 12 months to produce. DayZ has the added benefit of being in house, with people who created arma and take on helicopters lending support to Rocket and the team. It may not mean as much as updating rosters in a sports game but still, is it such a stretch to expect more? ;)

Probably waiting for the summersale on Steam, so BI can get the money from those few people who haven't bought Arma2 yet.

Yeah I know I see conspiracy's everywhere...