Thom Curry

[SA] Suggestion: NPC Trading Posts

What if there were trading posts run by NPCs? I'm thinking of something like what would have been seen in the early American frontier. A fortified structure inhabited by NPCs that will accept certain items for trade. They do not fire unless fired upon, but attack aggressively when provoked. Players can trade for goods with NPCs, or swap between themselves. This would provide a believable place for players to interact without fear of being shot on sight. A few features I would like to see included in this concept are:

Feature #1 An NPC Trader(s) that will trade for items or create wanted posters.

Feature #2 A bulletin board displaying wanted posters with bounties insured by the trading post. Bounties would be redeemed here as well.

Feature #3 A working well provides free drinking water.

Feature #4 An area protected by NPC guards where players can safely trade goods and services.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I can see you're quoting someone, but I don't know who that is, so it has absolutely no meaning to me.

nononononononononono... Bad idea. We don't want that. We want to earn stuff ourselves!

• Like 2

I can see you're quoting someone, but I don't know who that is, so it has absolutely no meaning to me.

It is Powell, Forum Moderator and I am concurring with his posted statement from this thread http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/140675-will-standalone-see-dayz-origins-like-features/ where NPC's are suggested.

Well, I never have trouble earning stuff, but I don't get much opportunity to interact with other players without the constant threat of being killed. People would naturally develop a safe to conduct trading. There are many historical parallels.

Oh, I see. Well, I guess I just disagree. I think it would be a neat feature.

I guess it's just a two for one disagreement post. Speaking of disagreeing, so do I. NPCs just don't fit well, whether they are out to get you or in a safe zone (player/player interaction has been the main thing, never player/ai). That's another thing, safe zones are shit. It just creates something that people will camp, bandits will wait outside and kill people before they are safe. Dayz is supposed to make you feel unsafe all the time, anything can happen at any time. Safe zones take that away.

I support base building however, I think it would be cool to have a walled camp. Though it wouldn't be impenetrable and no ai guards.

Edited by Chris529
  • Like 1

Too "Wasteland" for me. I don't like NPCs in my DayZ, however this is something that has probably been implemented on a few private hives already.

The only kind of trade NPC that i think would come close of fitting in the game, would be something like those trade caravans from Fallout series: (A guy with a cow that travels around the world trading stuff), but even that i don't think is praticable in a world crawling with zombies.

What if there were trading posts run by NPCs? I'm thinking of something like what would have been seen in the early American frontier. A fortified structure inhabited by NPCs that will accept certain items for trade. They do not fire unless fired upon, but attack aggressively when provoked. Players can trade for goods with NPCs, or swap between themselves. This would provide a believable place for players to interact without fear of being shot on sight. A few features I would like to see included in this concept are:

Feature #1 An NPC Trader(s) that will trade for items or create wanted posters.

Feature #2 A bulletin board displaying wanted posters with bounties insured by the trading post. Bounties would be redeemed here as well.

Feature #3 A working well provides free drinking water.

Feature #4 An area protected by NPC guards where players can safely trade goods and services.

Any suggestions?

No, NO No NO noNoNO!

Rocket Does not want NPCs (other than zombies) in game, he doesn't want to enforce safety. Quite honestly the only good idea I saw in your post was a bulletin board. Rather than have NPCs put people on a list let the players put up notices on a board or side of a building. Would be another way to get rid of side chat. Put up a note at the train station in Electro "Want to trade 2 tents for a pair of NVGs, radio frequency 105.95." Yes I know they will get griefed and camped to hell, that's the risk with anything in this game.

We already have free wells and water pumps in game that you can get water from.

Whats to stop a group or even a single bandit from sniping all of these NPC guards before massacring the 'safe' camp?

Not going to happen. What would make said NPC trader immune to the zombie apocalypse? Obviously you wouldn't be able to kill him and take all his stuff, which just adds another factor to why it is such a horrible idea.

Edited by Beck

short and simple: wait for mods! npc won't be in SA

...it is just NO (very short and simple) :P

I'm pretty sure Rocket said no NPCs. I can't quote him (I don't bookmark dev blogs and videos like everyone else, so)

Bad idea.

NO NPCs or stuff like that.

Keep in mind. This is real world zombie apocalypse simulation. NOT an arcade or rubbish like WarZ.

Okay lets make it simple.

It's a good idea for a game but not DayZ

NEVER EVER NEVER EVER EVER

It shouldn't and never will be in the SA no FRICKEN WAY

Rocket or anyone making DayZ will never put it in.

EVER

Why don't you just set up your own trading post? Since it's pretty clear it almost certainly won't happen.

Alright already. You guys don't like the idea, I get it lol. It was just a suggestion. I want to increase player 2 player interaction, and this was a thought I had along that line. How about some alternative suggestions that would work?

There is nothing stopping players becoming traders. NPCs aren't really needed.

Alright already. You guys don't like the idea, I get it lol. It was just a suggestion. I want to increase player 2 player interaction, and this was a thought I had along that line. How about some alternative suggestions that would work?

there's the flaw: it would be PvAI interaction

NPC guard wont protect sh*t. Snipers will be able to have a field day. The NPCs in arma don't have the best of ideals on what to do when being sniped. They tend just to run around in circles.

Also, are we stealing from warz now? Because its suppose to be the other way around. And stealing from warz is like devolution.