SmashT

Rezzed - June 2013 - Developer Session

Yea, that worked real well for Planetary Annihilation. You think DayZ SA gets hate now, see what happens if the alpha costs $100...

I could really give two shits! the people that hate on it because it's costly can wait till it's done and at a reasonable price point. Don't like it? There's always Christmas right?

Kids seem to think they're entitled to everything they want and then some. Most of you asshats have been into games a couple years (at best) and seem to think you know how "it should be done".

I guess I'll be the guy here to tell you "go fuck yourself".

/Retro grouch rant

"So is that AS50 with 5 rounds worth keeping over your Lee Enfield with 5 Mags?

Perhaps if you run with a 5 to 6 man group and have assigned rules.

Such as Medic, Sniper, Spotter, Heavy Gunner and so on."

Will this ever stop that nearly everybody plays this like a military simultaion or multiplayer shooter ... :rolleyes:

Yea, that worked real well for Planetary Annihilation.

And here I was thinking it was a Steam bug - I earn money but that hefty £64.99 is still putting me off!

Does anyone know if this 'week to release' they refer to is the closed external testing they sent PM's/emails out about?

I'm struggling to differentiate between inpatience and waiting for something that is no longer happening :(

i won't go for the ever so inital alpa-release date...far too much comotion for me. i will wait like two three even four weeks. then when the dust has somewhat settled i'll give it a shot.

one is certain: i don't want to be anyone from the Team, starting from the mods here, or any dev, dean, matt....they will get there bottom's spanked the first couple weeks, especially when some severe bugs will show up.

Edited by joe_mcentire

Will this ever stop that nearly everybody plays this like a military simultaion or multiplayer shooter ... :rolleyes:

What do you mean? You think it's wrong to have roles assigned for your friends?

When you play with 5 to 6 as i stated?

I mean my friends and i play always like that. But for DayZ we changed the setup.

We have a focused Medic but everyone still has some bandages, morphine, bloodbags,

antibiotics and so on.

Everyone is equipped so he can make it on their own if they choose to play alone.

But when we stick together we have some ppl who specialize on one thing more.

Pretty sure that's how ppl would react in a real zombie szenario.

So playing it "tactical" is not a bad thing in my opinion.

You should see us traveling the country side of chernarus.

Come to the edge of a forrest, send guy #1, wait till he is half on the way send guy #2.

And so on. We are very careful about that and we moslty survive all encounters with

Zombies or Humans.

Just give it to me before the end of august and i will pay a small ransom to play this at iseries with 12 of my mates! Nom nom nom

@NightmareGER

No nothing wrong since this is game and you and your friends enyoy your personal way of playing it :) I am feeling it still strange though to see that so many people prefer rollpaying DayZ as part of a military squad. I mean in the SA your sniper will probably just have an old Mauser Riffle and your heavy gunner maybe a crowbar or crafted spear You will encounter other groups of survivors wielding wrenches and shitty Makarovs or Rugers and I am wondering if people will still use then terminologies like "gunner", "sniper" or squad ....

cheers

• Like 2

Did anyone here buy ARMA 3? Surely you remember the cluster fuck that was

WAT

• Like 3

WAT

He's talking about the BIStore problems because so many people wanted to buy Arma 3 from there that it crashed big time. But we don't know do they even sell DayZ from their site at the beginning to prevent it happening again.

• Like 1

Well, even in (especially in) a post-apocalyptic scenario, having a coherent squad makes all the sense in the world to me. One is still attempting to achieve objectives whilst not getting killed, and the targets are the same (bandits and zombies all die due to bullet wounds). So why is having a regimented and disciplined squad hierarchy anything less than the most efficient and safe method of organization?

I play alone, largely because my friends are too broke to have gaming PCs or are in the military. But, the times that I have played with others, I felt our in-game longevity was intimately related to how well we functioned together. It's a bit redundant to have two folks doing the same thing in a squad of four, thus making other areas of protection vulnerable.

I'd rather people want to function in efficient squads rather than ragtag groups of bumbling idiots doing the same thing together.

He's talking about the BIStore problems because so many people wanted to buy Arma 3 from there that it crashed big time. But we don't know do they even sell DayZ from their site at the beginning to prevent it happening again.

Yeh I know but calling it a clusterfuck is over-egging the pudding. It was dealt with quickly. There's a very long list of multiplayer game releases that have gone a hell of a lot worse, most of them by bigger companies with much more resources to draw on too.

We are now in the Beta for Arma 3 and so far I'm really impressed with both the content and the polish. If DayZ follows a similar path I'll be a happy bunny.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

Yet to get the extras in the beta but I've been really enjoying the alpha.

@NightmareGER

No nothing wrong since this is game and you and your friends enyoy your personal way of playing it :) I am feeling it still strange though to see that so many people prefer rollpaying DayZ as part of a military squad. I mean in the SA your sniper will probably just have an old Mauser Riffle and your heavy gunner maybe a crowbar or crafted spear You will encounter other groups of survivors wielding wrenches and shitty Makarovs or Rugers and I am wondering if people will still use then terminologies like "gunner", "sniper" or squad ....

cheers

@Private Evans

Ah ok i see your point now.

Well we use those "classes" currently in the Mod where you can find those weapons a lot more than probably in the SA.

So that will probably change. Might just have a Doctor and a Mobile Fridge Unit aka the Bean carrier^^

Well, even in (especially in) a post-apocalyptic scenario, having a coherent squad makes all the sense in the world to me. One is still attempting to achieve objectives whilst not getting killed, and the targets are the same (bandits and zombies all die due to bullet wounds). So why is having a regimented and disciplined squad hierarchy anything less than the most efficient and safe method of organization?

I play alone, largely because my friends are too broke to have gaming PCs or are in the military. But, the times that I have played with others, I felt our in-game longevity was intimately related to how well we functioned together. It's a bit redundant to have two folks doing the same thing in a squad of four, thus making other areas of protection vulnerable.

I'd rather people want to function in efficient squads rather than ragtag groups of bumbling idiots doing the same thing together.

That was not my point. I was just wondering why this has to be military based for so many people. No question a well organized group or at least a group of people working together would always have better a chance to survice, but why always the miltary background and terminologies ? Let's take the characters from Left for Dead 2 for example...a gambler, a mechanic, a football coach and a journalist...would you call that a squad and would you call the person with the biggest gun "main support gunner"..I don't thinks so. The guy from 28 days later..a bike courier...the survivor group from The Walking Dead....a cop , a pizza delivery man, a farmer etc etc (the only one with military experience has been Merle Dixon)...The Road...a simple man and his little son....

There is nothing wrong with miltary stuff..I think it is just an interesting point to discuss :-)

Edited by Private Evans

@Private Evans

Ah ok i see your point now.

Well we use those "classes" currently in the Mod where you can find those weapons a lot more than probably in the SA.

So that will probably change. Might just have a Doctor and a Mobile Fridge Unit aka the Bean carrier^^

:D No offense..I am simply hoping for a bit more diversity and as it looks, Rocket is pushing the thing in the right direction

cheers

Edited by Private Evans

Rocket wrote on his twitter that they will be doing more motion capturing tomorrow. If they wanna get the new animations into the release I wouldn't expect the alpha to come out anytime before mid July.

That was not my point. I was just wondering why this has to be military based for so many people. No question a well organized group or at least a group of people working together would always have better a chance to survice, but why always the miltary background and thermologies ? Let's take the characters from Left for Dead 2 for example...a gambler, a mechanic, a football coach and a journalist...would you call that a squad and would you call the person with the biggest gun "main support gunner"..I don't thinks so. The guy from 28 days later..a bike courier...the survivor group from The Walking Dead....a cop , a pizza delivery man, a farmer etc etc (the only one with military experience has been Merle Dixon)...The Road...a simple man and his little son....

There is nothing wrong with miltary stuff..I think it is just an interesting point to discuss :-)

Using military terminologies is a accurate and easy way of showing what roles people on your squad fulfill. You won't call your sniper "that dude who can shoot really well." Just saying sniper or medic is easier. Its not like anyone is roleplaying as military, but using military terminology can be simpler and more familiar for a lot of people.

This, to me, is a very... weird... logic. Uh... they're going to release the game (Alpha) under the radar to prevent too many players from playing it?

It's really not that hard to understand the logic behind his point.

Edited by twinturbonet

Rocket wrote on his twitter that they will be doing more motion capturing tomorrow. If they wanna get the new animations into the release I wouldn't expect the alpha to come out anytime before mid July.

They're gonna be doing lot's of different motion capture sessions for many months and improving on animations throughout both the alpha and beta periods.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Using military terminologies is a accurate and easy way of showing what roles people on your squad fulfill. You won't call your sniper "that dude who can shoot really well." Just saying sniper or medic is easier. Its not like anyone is roleplaying as military, but using military terminology can be simpler and more familiar for a lot of people.

That's the thing... I would not use the term "squad" for our group or sniper for my friend with the hunting riffle. My guess is that most people simply prefer to play that way because playing a badass person and using military terminologies seems to be a lot more epic than to be or to rollplay the avarage guy next door finding himself in somekind of a nightmare....which is what I prefer.

however.... we should focus on the ugly font and the release date :P I guess

I could really give two shits! the people that hate on it because it's costly can wait till it's done and at a reasonable price point. Don't like it? There's always Christmas right?

Kids seem to think they're entitled to everything they want and then some. Most of you asshats have been into games a couple years (at best) and seem to think you know how "it should be done".

I guess I'll be the guy here to tell you "go fuck yourself".

/Retro grouch rant

I guess I'll be the guy here to tell you "you're post makes no damn sense". I'm not sure where you get the idea I felt I was entitled to anything by stating that charging a ridiculous price for the alpha like Planetary Annihilation would be a major mistake. Also, I'm not a kid and I've been playing video games virtually my entire life.

That was not my point. I was just wondering why this has to be military based for so many people. No question a well organized group or at least a group of people working together would always have better a chance to survice, but why always the miltary background and terminologies ? Let's take the characters from Left for Dead 2 for example...a gambler, a mechanic, a football coach and a journalist...would you call that a squad and would you call the person with the biggest gun "main support gunner"..I don't thinks so. The guy from 28 days later..a bike courier...the survivor group from The Walking Dead....a cop , a pizza delivery man, a farmer etc etc (the only one with military experience has been Merle Dixon)...The Road...a simple man and his little son....

And I was discussing it! :)

Well perhaps the reason why people use the jargon is because... 1) They're commonly used titles in video game groups, 2) ARMA 2, 3) That's what people want to call themselves, 4) What I said earlier, about having an efficient hierarchy.

If you're implying that military jargon should not be primary, sure, I'd agree. But consider that DayZ has very little lore behind it, and your individual characters less so. So it doesn't surprise me that people do not consider their characters as "people" vice just members of a squad. There is little interaction between players other than combat, or opportunity to create a character in the classical sense. There are few mechanisms to allow for "Okay, I'm a Doctor/Janitor/Mechanic/etc.", which is why the whole "Doctor" and "Black Widow" stories are so poignant for DayZ because they are rarities. However, I would like to see DayZ progress in such a way where these types of things are far more commonplace.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

That's the thing... I would not use the term "squad" for our group or sniper for my friend with the hunting riffle. My guess is that most people simply prefer to play that way because playing a badass person and using military terminologies seems to be a lot more epic than to be or to rollplay the avarage guy next door finding himself in somekind of a nightmare....which is what I prefer.

however.... we should focus on the ugly font and the release date :P I guess

I have to disagree, I bet its not because of that.

I bet its because of that people are most familiar with these terminologies, through movies, games, real military background etc etc. So they come as natural for us. Its no brainer to use them, rather than learn new shit just for this reason... nothing to do with being badass ego boos epic something.

And I think very few player want to "roleplay", I dont care about larping neighter.

The character could be any of us... we know the terminology so why would we act something differend in game?

Catch my drift?

Its just using what we know not trying to be anything else than ourselves.

Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 1

And I think very few player want to "roleplay", I dont care about larping neighter.

You appear to have a very dogmatic view of what "roleplay" is.

It's really not that hard to understand the logic behind his point.

Never did I say that I don't understand it.