mattlightfoot

DayZ Double Developer Blog 14th May 2013

The only way you could take a break from zombies is to hide your ass in the woods :D My opinion.

I am very excited to see how did they redesign the forests (and the wilderness overall). Hope to see some rivers, waterfalls and stuff like that other than just a bunch of trees sticking out of hills... RIVERS, they are SO MISSING in Chernorus. Also, imagine natural caves!!! How sick would that be! :) I've written many posts on how wilderness should be a threat to the survival too! Adding wild animals and swamps in the forest could make it realistic.

Aaaand speaking of caves... I hope they have added/will add something like a chest or a head mounted flashlight, so we won't have to replace it with the secondary weapon...

Hate to break it to you, but they cant change the physical map, such as waterfalls ect.

Rocket should discuss some of this with us, on the forums instead of arguing with RhinoCrunch.

Whats there to discuss? we already know all the facts.

• Like 1

Whats there to discuss? we already know all the facts.

Well he has plenty of time for reddit and twatter. Why not the forums?

This does deserve an explanation.

• I use twitter a great deal because it only takes a second and I can do it very quickly while waiting for something, i.e. compiling or file copying.
  • Reddit sorts posts so I can skim the top and see what most people are interested in, so that suits very well.
  • Forums are better for long-term discussions which I rarely have the time to actually post in. But I still read the forums every day.

That said, I will commit to spending more time each day ACTUALLY posting in them. Although that means the chance of me trying out KSP 0.20 are less likely :(

• Like 4

Hate to break it to you, but they cant change the physical map, such as waterfalls ect.

They sure as hell can make better forests (see area around Black Lake).

Saw this tweet from Ivan:

Behold, here it is: great for chopping wood, slashing bean cans in half and digging trenches. It also cuts stuff. :)

2uors44.jpg

hi guys,

any chance we can get any info on what kind of fps the alpha testers are getting as well as there machine specs?

hi guys,

any chance we can get any info on what kind of fps the alpha testers are getting as well as there machine specs?

That would actually be very helpful yes! The performance is certainly different than before so some info would always prove helpful for some people. However, Rocket did say the performance should be around the same as in Dayz(optimization coupled with better engine).. but that was a few months ago.

Rocket did say the performance should be around the same as in Dayz

Actually, he said it would be roughly a little better performance than ArmA 2 without DayZ.

Just don't want to mislead people. :)

I'm curious as to how you think 1.7.7 has been held up by Rocket going to Everest.
A quickie update regarding the current status 1.7.7 for anyone who is curious:

- We were told to wait for Dean to return before releasing any patches (unfortunately that was a 2 month wait)

Kids of today are simply spoilt brats, with the mentality of "NOW, NOW, NOW!"

this is exactly the line of people from the war z forum spouted time and time again when HP failed to live up to expectations. Beware! lol. But lets be honest the community updates have been lacking and there needs to be more communication.

I feel there is a lot of defending of the dayz team saying "but they are doing the work", yes most informed people know that ( ie those who frequent the forums enough,) but at the same time they are NOT doing enough to actually let people know what they are doing.

I don't get why people are going on the defensive every time a criticism is slung at rocket and the team when they only have themselves to blame for not putting across enough info. Not to mention you are just making the community see like a bunch of fanboy wankers. I am starting to see too many posts which are reminiscent of the early days of the warz forums, so....Stop it!

Saw this tweet from Ivan:

Behold, here it is: great for chopping wood, slashing bean cans in half and digging trenches. It also cuts stuff. :)

2uors44.jpg

also this is making me feel like its a bit like the katana update.... :P hahahaha, i kid i kid.

Edited by triggy89

But lets be honest the community updates have been lacking and there needs to be more communication.

I may be alone in this opinion. But it seems they have given us a decent of information and updates about it when comparing it to most other games(Although there is few games i follow like this so it could just be how much i am following this compared to other games).

• Like 1

I may be alone in this opinion. But it seems they have given us a decent of information and updates about it when comparing it to most other games(Although there is few games i follow like this so it could just be how much i am following this compared to other games).

For myself, there has been plenty of information. I don't really need any more. I'm just patiently waiting for a release.

I imagine that it's not easy to be creative when you have a bunch of needy, ungrateful bitches nipping at your heels everywhere you go...

I really hope that Everest helped clear the cobwebs...Rocket, if you are reading this...any time any of the 'community' crap starts to get you down, bring your mind back to the roof of the world...Rise above it. ;)

• Like 1

I imagine that it's not easy to be creative when you have a bunch of needy, ungrateful bitches nipping at your heels everywhere you go...

wow and it continues....

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/135668-dayz-double-developer-blog-14th-may-2013/page__st__160#entry1331702

read that,

People are just getting frustrated because the same questions are getting asked and answered over and over.

I'd say a new locked thread in the announcements section should be considered 'DayZ standalone progress updates'

Keep it clear and informative, just so we have somewhere we can direct the casual forum browser.

Again :rolleyes: ...

The DayZ dev team is providing a lot more infos and insights than most other dev teams out there. In fact infos are usually not given by the devs directly but by the publishers. Most of the time these are polished teaser vids or inteviews given to official gaming mags or at the big gaming shows.

There are of course things that could have been handled better...no question..but did anyone ever see how the guys from Rockstar are doing their animations...did anyone ever saw an interview with the heightmap creator of Skyrim...did anyone ever disussed weapons stats with the lead designer of Battlefield ??? I don't think so.

Yes it was chaotic sometimes and yes the sound quality of Matts micro was horrible :P and yes without Smasht we would have missed a good part of the show blablabla..but it also has been an awesome hell of a ride and now we do not want to screw up the last days before release with the same old stupid discussions...thank you.

And for all these Dickheads and Rhinowhinos calling us fanboys...I am playing, modding and discussing games now since nearly 25 years....Go home to Kindergarden (youtube)

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 4

We don’t know what version of the SA that is for starters and pity it was leaked by someone that can't stream or record footage but has to use a camera to do it. I could only watch about a minutes worth before I said na its too poor I’ll enjoy real footage when it comes.

I feel there is a lot of defending of the dayz team saying "but they are doing the work", yes most informed people know that ( ie those who frequent the forums enough,) but at the same time they are NOT doing enough to actually let people know what they are doing.

I don't get why people are going on the defensive every time a criticism is slung at rocket and the team when they only have themselves to blame for not putting across enough info. Not to mention you are just making the community see like a bunch of fanboy wankers. I am starting to see too many posts which are reminiscent of the early days of the warz forums, so....Stop it!

I can agree with some of what you are bringing up here.

- Matt Lightfoot stating around a week ago the SA will be released when Rocket etc says so, as I said NO Matt it will be released when the Company that pays your wages says it WILL

- Rocket missed HIS deadline he set for December 2012 , then he went into hiding for many weeks, all this from a guy who is on Reddit, Twitter, Facebook and this Forum, and we new Nothing, until he finally made an announcement many weeks later.

- Announced to all there would be a Weekly Dev Blog, went to every 2 weeks then maybe if we were lucky per Month

All this leads me to the fact Rocket isnt a Lead Developer he lacks Marketing Skills, he lacks the ability to Focus on the objective, not get involved with wanker Youtubers slanging matches. The Website is a mess, he spends most times on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter etc, so that core Fans have no idea what is transpiring, and a new person to the Forums could easily be confused that they are reading about the SA

The Team here is small, very small, well it's clearly bigger than The WarZ you talk of, who still have not experienced any Coding Updates since release, so things will take longer. Bohemia have done this on a Shoe String Budget, no doubt, and stand to make at least 100 Million at a weak estimate.

ALL these negatives I bring up and you know what ? I cannot wait till the first MINUTE I jump into the SA for the first time, i appreciate the Ideas Rocket has bought forward into a gaming Style where every time I played DAYZ ( pronounced ZED :) ) I experienced a Mini Movie experience if you like of me in a great big Zombie Adventure Film.