mattlightfoot

DayZ Double Developer Blog 14th May 2013

Looks great, it would be nice to see a whole load of different clothes for zombies, hopefully they will!

Did they only have one shop in the whole of Chernarus to pick up clothes? Perhaps there's a zombies only store!

Rocket wrote on reddit that he is only using one type of zombie in the testing.

Yeah, just placeholder zombies. They've disclaimed several times and it's been mentioned in a devblog.

I hope everyone hasn't forgotten those screens of female zombies. Really looking forward to some variety with zombies.

Looks great, it would be nice to see a whole load of different clothes for zombies, hopefully they will!

Did they only have one shop in the whole of Chernarus to pick up clothes? Perhaps there's a zombies only store!

Pre-alpha. Please remember that for every screenie, that includes menus too.

• Like 1

I would like more info on the infections like cholera etc

There is none ATM. I'd imagine the new disease elements will come later. Remember it's being released in an alpha state and will probably be in development for many months afterwards.

I w

I would like to play it :P

• Like 1

Go home zeds, you're all drunk.

got it... "groaaaaahhhrrr" means "Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps"....pissheads...not infected

Hmmm... all of this discussion about books in DayZ has me a bit confounded.

I mean, it certainly isn't a harmful addition, I like it and think that they should keep going with it (I am someone who endorses the RP side of DayZ and thinks that there's a lot to work with there). But I'm just confused as to what the point is and whether or not this'll actually have an effect on gameplay.

I guess my first reaction was, "Oh, this'll be nice to pass the time with". But then I just thought to myself, "I'd rather be passing the time by making a camp... scavenging... all that". I know full well, that this isn't intended to replace anything and is really just an immersion booster (and a clever one at that, full-length books). I'm just wondering as to whether I'll ever actually be like "Let's read a book!" vice doing other stuff.

If there were bookshelves in player-commandeered houses, on which these books could be collected and stored, I think they'd actually end up being important rather than just pleasant distractions.

Edited by Katana67

Given a nice UI, reading books in DayZ would be an amaaazing addition! However, I understand you Katana. Having player houses/underground bases would be a good place for those books instead of being an prey in the open ground.

Given a nice UI, reading books in DayZ would be an amaaazing addition! However, I understand you Katana. Having player houses/underground bases would be a good place for those books instead of being an prey in the open ground.

Right, I love the addition totally. Plus, Dean has said that they're working on player-created letters, notes, and/or books. But that it's just not finished yet.

Again, and I raised this a while back, why can't systems be put in place for a player to use/live in the existing houses? With 90% of the buildings becoming enterable, it seems plausible that only a small fraction of these would be used by players if systems were in place. Likewise, mechanics to secure buildings (boarding up windows, locking mechanisms, fences, etc.) should be made significantly difficult to scavenge for and construct while also being able to be defeated by vigilant players.

If this type of system was in place, one could subsequently make items like bookshelves, beds, sinks, refrigerators (if generators were added), and the like useful to the player in some regard.

I never really got a substantial answer to the question of "Why can't we use the existing houses as player houses?". I understand the reasons for not having ADDITIONAL player-constructed houses. But I can't help but feel that underground bunkers aren't the only solution to this problem.

To me it's all about persistence, if I have a house with books collected, meat hanging above the kitchen, windows boarded up, and a lock on the door (although nobody should ever be impervious to breaches) I would have a much more rewarding experience and would also be encouraged to play on the same server vice server hopping when things get inconvenient.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

DayZ with the new skeleton. Enough said:

SYhOeV3.jpg

• Like 2

"Why can't we use the existing houses as player houses?"

because they insist on keeping server hopping an option. you can never secure a house as long as you can teleport into it using server hopping.

to make it possible they'd have to separate the servers from each other like private hives. on a separate server you could manage that easier. you'd have to limit resources like in wasteland though to avoid object counts getting higher and higher over time.

i'd prefer separation and thus more details like that but i guess they want to keep it all connected to make it more random and exciting or something. sadly houses will just be loot spots and people will dig caves instead to live in. :D makes no sense but seems the only option as long as all persistence is based only around the character and not hte world.

because they insist on keeping server hopping an option. you can never secure a house as long as you can teleport into it using server hopping.

to make it possible they'd have to separate the servers from each other like private hives. on a separate server you could manage that easier. you'd have to limit resources like in wasteland though to avoid object counts getting higher and higher over time.

i'd prefer separation and thus more details like that but i guess they want to keep it all connected to make it more random and exciting or something. sadly houses will just be loot spots and people will dig caves instead to live in. :D makes no sense but seems the only option as long as all persistence is based only around the character and not hte world.

This is why server hopping should be allowed, but you should always start out at the coast when you switch to a new server. Keep your gear, but spawn elsewhere.

As to the object count, there's a finite amount of houses in the world. The system of adding to these houses would be finite as well (X amount of doors to board up, X amount of windows to cover, X amount of cupboards). A system would have to take this into account. I want to be clear, I'm not advocating adding anything which is potentially infinite to the world. Merely using what is already there.

• Like 2

Ohh, look - is this game still active or what? Seems like MONTHS since the last community update. More and more people turn to other versions of DayZ like Origins or Breaking point... I hate this! I'm the only one left in my circle of friends that still play the original DayZ mod... Just roll 1.7.7 already so you don't lose more players.

• Like 1

Ohh, look - is this game still active or what? Seems like MONTHS since the last community update. More and more people turn to other versions of DayZ like Origins or Breaking point... I hate this! I'm the only one left in my circle of friends that still play the original DayZ mod... Just roll 1.7.7 already so you don't lose more players.

So you're saying that... playing a mod of DayZ is somehow a bad thing? Origins and Breaking Point are two very different mods, which are VERY different from DayZ in terms of scope and focus. Neither of which even resembles what we've heard out of the Standalone. However, they owe their existence to vanilla DayZ. It's not like they're both PROGRESSIONS of DayZ, they're just different things with different focuses. As far as I'm concerned, if you're in the DayZ community, playing a mod of a mod is just as significant as playing the original mod itself.

Since when is "months" for a substantial update outrageous?

• Like 1

Kids of today are simply spoilt brats, with the mentality of "NOW, NOW, NOW!"

So you're saying that... playing a mod of DayZ is somehow a bad thing? Origins and Breaking Point are two very different mods, which are VERY different from DayZ in terms of scope and focus. Neither of which even resembles what we've heard out of the Standalone. However, they owe their existence to vanilla DayZ. It's not like they're both PROGRESSIONS of DayZ, they're just different things with different focuses. As far as I'm concerned, if you're in the DayZ community, playing a mod of a mod is just as significant as playing the original mod itself.

Nope, I totally agree that BP and Origins are very different, both in relative terms to each other - but to Dayz Mod vanilla as well. I'm say that people turn to these mods since 1.7.7 has been slowed down due to the fact that some dude that is not even involved with the community build anymore had to climb Everest. The mod should be able to evolve even though the SA is being developed which is not part of the community build.

I personally hate all the other mods based on DayZ, but I'm the only one among my circle of friends. Soon I just have to either stop playing DayZ or start playing another DayZ mod - since I seriously doubt that even 20% of my friends will return to the original DayZ mod when 1.7.7 is released.

I'm not saying months are outrageous for a substantial update, but I see plenty of things on the changelog that could have been rolled on a regular basis to let the audience know that stuff actually happens.

Wanting the game to keep living is totally different from your false impression and prejudices about all forum posters.

Edited by Ironhuge
  • Like 1

I'm say that people turn to these mods since 1.7.7 has been slowed down due to the fact that some dude that is not even involved with the community build anymore had to climb Everest. The mod should be able to evolve even though the SA is being developed which is not part of the community build.

I personally hate all the other mods based on DayZ, but I'm the only one among my circle of friends. Soon I just have to either stop playing DayZ or start playing another DayZ mod - since I seriously doubt that even 20% of my friends will return to the original DayZ mod when 1.7.7 is released.

I'm not saying months are outrageous for a substantial update, but I see plenty of things on the changelog that could have been rolled on a regular basis to let the audience know that stuff actually happens.

I'm curious as to how you think 1.7.7 has been held up by Rocket going to Everest. There has been a lot of work done, hell, they're even talking about crafting and attachments. How the hell does that not warrant a bit of extra time? When they're cornerstones of the SA and now the mod. I for one was amazed that they managed to do this, so I'd assume that is what was holding them up.

All of the problems you list, seem to be problems with yourself and your friends, not the community as a whole.

The reason why people play BP and Origins, vice vanilla, is that it's a new experience. Not a better one.

Edited by Katana67

so true... instant gratifications with mangoes...

Edited by codestargod

hmmm...simply spawn players which change server at the coast...problem solved...

I don't understand peoples "friends". Sure my friends stopped playing the mod (shit even I did until recently), but they are always asking me "bro, when is the SA coming out??" so they can come back. I'm actually embarassed when they do because I have to explain to them that it's being worked out and they want a good product VS rushing it etc etc etc...

Are my friends the only friends that leave and want to come back? I highly doubt it, but it seems like all the people bitching about the game taking forever and it losing all interest are just speakingfor themselves and blaming it on their so called "friends".

Edited by twinturbonet

Are my friends the only friends that leave and want to come back? I highly doubt it, but it seems like all the people bitching about the game taking forever and it losing all interest are just speakingfor themselves and blaming it on their so called "friends".

I bet you're pretty new to DayZ, but your "member since" states otherwise - I seriously hope not that your just another troll. If you'd been playing the last couple of months and could really see the difference and the recent "number of player" drop you'd realize that "blaming it on their so called friends" is pretty legit.

Edited by Ironhuge

This is why server hopping should be allowed, but you should always start out at the coast when you switch to a new server. Keep your gear, but spawn elsewhere.

As to the object count, there's a finite amount of houses in the world. The system of adding to these houses would be finite as well (X amount of doors to board up, X amount of windows to cover, X amount of cupboards). A system would have to take this into account. I want to be clear, I'm not advocating adding anything which is potentially infinite to the world. Merely using what is already there.

This would make noob killing on the coast infinitely worse.

• Like 1