rocket

Hotfix Build 1.7.1.4 Rolling Update (was 1.7.1.3)

I don't think the new hatchet is all that great. Could we have the old one back? It kinda sucks having to choose between having a rifle and being able to chop wood. Maybe something else could be used for a melee weapon? Hammer? Length of pipe?

It's finally good. Awesome! :D

I had zero confirmed issues playing for several hours tonight. I only had one suspicion of an endlessly respawning zombie horde but couldn't confirm.

Balance-wise, I think zombies hear a crouch-running character too well. They don't see shit in the night-time but they aggro to noise from too far I think.

This newest patch is actually well done. There are still bugs, which is to be expected, but I like where this game is heading. Keep up the good work. (yes, i am one of the very few not complaining for once)

Rocket' date=' I got 2 small suggestions.

1) You should make the hatchet go back in the utility slot, and from your inventory you can right click it to chop / harvest wood like you use to normally, or you can right click it to equip it as a melee weapon.

2) you should do the same thing with the crowbar

[/quote']

^^ this is the reason I will always sift through all the replies.

Rocket, to save you from having to sift through all the replies, try this:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14960

^ Have to agree with broken bones. Its pretty silly.

I put a bug up on the dev thingy, magazines dropping when you pick up an item for your inventory. Even though you have room in both your inventory and magazine inventory it still drops all your mags.

when you run end got 5-6 zombies on you ... you are VERY VERY laggy!

Personally I think the one thing more annoying than that are the admins that just use a previous version because "it's more fun" or they just overall like it better. Just imagine you're all video game testers. This is more like a job. That's what the servers are for. In my opinion you're just delaying development and making the wait longer on yourselves for a more refined experience.

Also the people who say they bought Arma 2 for DayZ and are furious because they don't like it right now. This is an alpha mod' date=' what did you expect from an alpha mod?

[/quote']

That my man is one fine post there. I cant see the point if a server admin rolls back to a previous version. Because its more "fun"? Please, do me a favour. Servers that do revert back should get blacklisted until they run the latest version.

Most of the bug reports coming in are because people are using .4 and the servers they play on have older versions. What is the point in that? It just makes the dev teams' job even harder.

I have just played on a server for 20 mins that was running .4. Yes the zeds are a little sensitive, but if you take your time you'll be fine. I was prone and a zed monkey walked straight past me at about 5 yards. The reason he didnt spot me was because I was making sure I was out of its LOS. So, the mod isnt broken as the majority of people seem to think. Play it right and you'll be fine!

The amount of people on here who post bugs / errors etc really need to make sure they got their facts right.

Rocket,

you need to revert the whole game back to when you had guns.

It was perfect and now is just plain terrible.

It was hard enough before but the game now has serious balancing issues.

Its unplayable dude.

Im not hating dude i love the mod but lets be realistic here.

And to everyone about to flame me with the alpha talk, just think for a second before you reply.

Sure in real life you wouldnt have anything, but, this is a GAME lol

The audio aggro for zed is too much at this point. Making the Zed more sensitive to sound isn't a bad idea, but how they react to hearing someone's footsteps needs to change. It seem a little ridiculous that we can break LOS with the zed and run away, but if they hear moving around with a couple of buildings between us they can automagically locate us and sprint to our exact spot.

I think it might not be a bad idea to have zombies gain interest in a spot instead of identifying a player's location when they hear someone. The zombie AI should be changed so that sound will attract zed, but only a direct LOS with a player will make them attack.

It could also add a new level of complexity to town raids as players would have to account for the slowly amassing horde of zombies that would be shambling after them in reaction to their footsteps as they moved between buildings.

I've been playing with the latest patch 1.7.1.4 so far and I have only one complaint.

Previous to the patch the hatchet was kept in the tool section/slot(s).

After the patch I'm not sure what it's considered maybe misc or side arm inventory, I'm not certain because I have absolutely no room left to drop anything in order to find out.

I'm running with the Alice pack and I'm stocked up to capacity. Leaving me with no tool to harvest wood to cook the meat that I find and harvest.

Can we please revert the hatches to be categorized/stored into the tool section as it was please?

-Thank you

Actually whatever changed in .3 and .4 needs to be reverted. I actually had a chance at evading zombies before this, now I can't.

Not a GAME, actually. I think the word bandied about is ANTI-GAME. they want to piss us off.

You want a gun, go find a barn.

That my man is one fine post there. I cant see the point if a server admin rolls back to a previous version. Because its more "fun"? Please' date=' do me a favour. Servers that do revert back should get blacklisted until they run the latest version.

Most of the bug reports coming in are because people are using .4 and the servers they play on have older versions. What is the point in that? It just makes the dev teams' job even harder.

[/quote']

I agree. it's not helping the process at all

Apologies, but after reading two pages of this forty-page thread, it had already turned to forty-one pages, so I'm not going to be able to sort through it all.

Also, the search feature isn't turning up anything helpful when I look for "Hatchets"...

So I've played for about three hours on the new update (blahblahblah.4) My first question is, obviously, about hatchets. Huh? I had one when I logged out, but when I logged in I didn't. I found one eventually on the floor in a building, but when I tried to pick it up I was told that my inventory was full or something. There was not only room in my tool slots, but there was room in my regular inventory, my bandages/pistol ammo inventory, and my backpack.

Later, I found some shotgun shells on the ground and when I hit "G", I discovered that they were actually hatchets? I picked one up and then tried to right-click it, and it disappeared out of my inventory. I was able to put one in my pack, but the third vanished when I attempted to pick it up.

When I got out in the middle of the forest, I opened my inventory, opened my pack, and tried to transfer the shotgun-shell-hatchet to my inventory so I could use it to chop wood.

It vanished.

This is a problem, since food and drinks still aren't spawning... I have six raw meats that I was looking forward to cooking, but now I can't... the low food is especially bad since every single slap from a zombie causes bleeding...

Oh and the zombies can still see through walls, though it appears that they can no longer attack through them, which is some small relief.

So... hatchets... what am I missing?

Zombies... still seeing through walls...

And, zombie attacks.,.. I think increased damage was a good idea, as too many people (myself included) were just kind of ignoring them. But the "special effects"... bleeding from every single slap, and all-too-often instant unconsciousness on the first hit, even if I had 12k blood... if you insist on leaving the blood-causing slaps, at least increase the spawn rate of bandages, and...

PLEASE let us start getting food and drink again!

Its to much like BO Zombie right now just with no guns xD

i had realz bad issues todaz as a new Plazer i would to apricade a gun when zou spawn...

Yombies are chasing me from long distance even i run in "stealth" mode and i can do nothing than run to escape...

to get a weapon immo is realz hard. :(

People need to realize that this is an alpha' date=' and people are bound to hate changes. That's why Rocket makes these changes, to see what works and what doesn't. He would never know otherwise. That's why it's alpha, for testing. Most games aren't even public well past this stage.

I don't think you all realize how much work Rocket is doing with this. He hammers out updates left and right for a [b']free mod. He has listened to and used suggestions and interacted with the users more than I've ever seen from any other developer. I've had a taste of programming in college and to me right now he's a programming god. He takes mere hours after an update to release a hotfix for most of the problems. As far as I've seen the problems are pretty much taken care of within a day or less of the original update. That's insane. Call me a suck up all you want, but it's all true.

There's no schedule for the updates' date=' so I can't blame them too much. However, what is most annoying is the servers who updated the normal mods to 1.7.1.4 but didn't include the dayz_server update.

[/quote']

Personally I think the one thing more annoying than that are the admins that just use a previous version because "it's more fun" or they just overall like it better. Just imagine you're all video game testers. This is more like a job. That's what the servers are for. In my opinion you're just delaying development and making the wait longer on yourselves for a more refined experience.

Also the people who say they bought Arma 2 for DayZ and are furious because they don't like it right now. This is an alpha mod, what did you expect from an alpha mod?

1 post on the site and suddenly your an expert on this. Everyone is entitled to say their piece and we are well aware that it's alpha If I had a penny for every time that's been spouted I would be rich.

The purpose of the Alpha is to look for bugs, there are several so what do you expect us to do, continue running servers that crash when the net exchange goes ballistic? Continue to run a server that is unplayable? No we report the issues and roll back to a previous version and wait for the next build.

Were not Video Game testers, the only input to the build stages we have is through the forum here.

Moving around the game on your own is a completely different experience to moving in a group with regard to the desync considering the client spawns the Z's not the server.

Until you know a little bit more about how servers actually run maybe you should stop handing out advice about black listing servers for reverting to older builds. If it was not allowed the files would be removed from the admin repository.

Anyone have the final word on weapons poofing? What patch/circumstances causing people to connect and be left with just a mak?

Don't really feel like losing my gear as doing so wont further the cause of alpha testing at all.

the entirety of 1.7.1 has been a total fuckup.

1.7.1.1 - psychic zombies, introduced "sprint through towns until you find gun" mini-game

1.7.1.2 - randomly lose your gear while the server crashes every 10 minutes

1.7.1.3 - apparently so astoundingly bad it was skipped altogether

1.7.1.4 - FPS so bad it's unplayable, and jet engine shoes making zombies worse than 1.7.1

so how about we get this next

1.7.1.5 - fixed zombie FPS issues, reverted player sound levels back to normal

and we'll almost be all set. when the retarded new mini-game you have to play every time you spawn, where you're roleplaying as a russian usain bolt desperately trying to find a gun is removed, it'll be good to go

I hated the no guns to start thing at first, but now I prefer it. Once Rocket fixes the insane zombie bath salt aggro, I think people will start to enjoy the game again. Here's hoping for tomorrow! :)

What will hapen to my hatchet in my inventory after the patch 1.7.1.4 ?

It will vanish or what ?

Cause i dont have any slot left...

Since i dont want to loseverything and there so much comment about losing gear...

I will wait for stable patch.

It is so hard to find good gear :)

1 post on the site and suddenly your and expert on this. Everyone is entitled to say their piece and we are well aware that it's alpha If I had a penny for every time that's been spouted I would be rich.

The purpose of the Alpha is to look for bugs' date=' there are several so what do you expect us to do, continue running servers that crash when the net exchange goes ballistic? Continue to run a server that is unplayable? No we report the issues and roll back to a previous version and wait for the next build.

Were not Video Game testers, the only input to the build stages we have is through the forum here.

Moving around the game on your own is a completely different experience to moving in a group with regard to the desync considering the client spawns the Z's not the server.

Until you know a little bit more about how servers actually run maybe you should stop handing out advice about black listing servers for reverting to older builds. If it was not allowed the files would be removed from the admin repository.

[/quote']

I'm not the one that said anything about blacklisting them, I just said it's annoying to me.

no guns just means running through towns like a moron, outright ignoring zombies until you find a weapon, or proning everywhere until you find a weapon.

just give new players a random melee weapon so this absurd gameplay can come to an end

Ok BroadSword, explain this .... how are the rest of us supposed to TEST the patches and new updates when admins of the servers revert back to old version causing those of us trying to TEST the patches the same problems that the patches are supposed to fix because the admins are using server code that does not comply with the new patches?

What really needs to be done is everyone update to the new server code, let people test the new patches to the server code, report the bugs AND WAIT FOR ROCKET TO PUT OUT A NEW PATCH TO FIX THE PROBLEM. Not go back to the old code causing more confusion and problems.

I'm loving this game, what an achievement guys. Well done. The game I've always wanted to make - if only I knew how!

I think people will stop raging if the balance of the game was fairer, which is different to asking for it to be easier. The main culprit are the zombies.

I totally get the tension created by starting without guns and I love it but we need a chance to find things. I'm finding that if I'm looting somewhere, I'm forced to run away and do something less interesting.

The main thing is that they spot you way too easily. Could this be toned down? Or perhaps, like you have the probability of something appearing in the loot locations is there a way to add a probability of attack? So if a zombie does clock you, could certain zombies have different percentages so some would ignore you and others might attack?