mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 15th April Highest one ever

To be honest, this is the best dev blog I've seen on the SA. So much good information in there. I hope it helps those that are angry or disappointed about the delays in releasing the alpha for public test to understand what a huge undertaking this has become. Totally new game, AAA quality and development. Im betting its going to be worth the wait.

Still waiting to see some hints on how you guys are going to promote a playstyle that is more Zombie/bandit survival SA vs. deathmatch Mod, ;)

Thanks Rocket, by way of Matt... keep the info coming :)

This is great, I just hope no one falls of a cliff or dies on the climb to Mount Everest. That would delay the standalone even longer....DON'T DIE PEOPLE!!! I LOVE YOUR GAME TOO MUCH!!!

This all sounds great so far.

Except for the radio feature. Sure, it seems like a cool concept. But, we all know that pro players and just casuals will use TS or skype or w/e to play together. It could be cool to use it for trade with other players, but that's pretty much it.

This sounds awsome, you guys seem to be doing well

so far, thanks for the update Matt.

Except for the radio feature. Sure, it seems like a cool concept. But, we all know that pro players and just casuals will use TS or skype or w/e to play together. It could be cool to use it for trade with other players, but that's pretty much it.

The radio could be used to set traps. You can set them on the ground and use them to listen for other players.

• Like 2

I have every confidence that if the team can continue to make the game for the game's sake, they will be among those development teams which give gamers like myself and countless more hope in a world where we are choked by the spam of places like EA.

The best work comes from the desire for excellence.

EDIT: Nice to see you at PAX Dean+Matt, I enjoyed the panel very much.

Edited by misterwit
  • Like 2

I would imagine players using the radios to eavesdrop on other players rather than using them with friends instead of TS/Skype. Like you say people aren't going to give up TS/Skype.

But then again you will probably be able to scan frequencies and possibly chat to people you don't know or haven't met yet. Send out an SOS and see who comes to your "rescue"

• Like 2

I see the radio thing as more of an optional immersion device. Nifty idea for those that want to be engrossed in the survival, using it as listening device or something between groups to set up attacks, I think it is a rather interesting idea. Probably nothing I'd use, but I could see people really enjoying it.

Does anyone else think that Bohemia Interactive is managing their time poorly? Radio implementation sounds interesting, but shouldn't they be dedicating more resources to implementing features that already exist in the Mod? Shouldn't the Standalone Alpha be held to a higher standard than the Mod Alpha? Do we really need to take steps backwards?

For anyone unaware, Bohemia has officially decided not to include things such as vehicles in the Alpha. If they release in June (best case scenario), then it means programming server side unit movement (zombies/players) took roughly a year. I think it's safe to assume that it could take them months to implement and debug vehicles, and additional months for any other missing features. Supposedly they do not intend to begin working on them until after the game is available for purchase on Steam.

With the way things are shaping up, the standalone may have less features than the Mod until next year. I do not think that the game should be delayed or rushed; I simply think Bohemia should develop the game professionally like other independent companies do.

I'm pretty sure they could just add vehicles exactly the way they are in the mod, which is pretty shallow and enormously silly anyway. I'd much rather have an in depth vehicle repair system and modding system than what we have now. That will take time and I'd personally rather have them do it properly the first time.

It seems like they've outdone everything else so far. Have any more examples of features the mod has that the standalone won't?

Edited by SausageKingofChicago
  • Like 1

Gummy - I think the work being done is vastly underestimated.

The Cheranrus map has undergone a big change for a start. Most buildings are enterable, there are new areas and new towns, with more and more content being added. The zombies have been completely redone as has the inventory system. A new skeleton has been created and all the items in game are now objects meaning crafting and attachments are now possible.

Not to mention the work being done to turn DayZ SA into a MMO rather than just a large mutliplayer game.

Not having vehicles on the release is a bummer to some (not me by the way) but i think the decision to make vehicles better to handle rather than simply port over the Arma 2 handling was made.

Why not add new features such as radios, clothing, weapon handling, player movement? We all want to see something new and fresh.

I think you would probably be the first to complain if the mod was just ported over as is.

Edited by DemonGroover
  • Like 6

This sure is a nice Deveveloper Blog :)

Good luck on your trip!

Edited by TIC321

I distinctly remember suggesting that very radio idea on the suggestion forums a long time ago

Radios are great-- a damn fine solution to the awful, immersion-breaking side chat.

Again gummy trolling with his vehicle issue... so many people had said it so many times and you just dont want to realize how things are going and how enormous amount of stuff is already done.

So please, stop.

I agree to the ones talking about the radios, It would be neat little extra but I wont stop using teamspeak because of that. That is only because others wont, I would rather be on a same level with them.

If the game could force to you use radios and block other voip programs on the background, would be nice.

Just my opinnion on the matter.

Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 2