Pokerguy12

Will Snipers Be Removed Or At Least Tweaked In S.A?

As title says

• Unrealistically easy to use, try using one in real life (stance, breath, sway, rifle weight, barrel kick)
  • Game breaking advantages, organised banditry have a monopoly over an entire area
  • Extremely light weighted :o , no one can horse an .50 rifle and spare mags through a forest without an effort
  • Scope does not sway as it would it real life when standing or crouching, especially just after performing physical tasks (1st point)- reference to a bandit that was running for the past 10 minutes nonstop sees you 1 klick away sttands and aims his sniper taking you down in 1 shot before you can say 'friendly' in the chat.
  • Atmospheric factors are insufficent (wind velocity, wind direction, humidity, weather)- I actally dont think this point should be included in the game to any degree greater than 'subtle'.

TDLR;

Sniper rifles are unrealistic in many ways, they are currently a game breaking feature of this mod.

Besides the points i mentioned, features like bullet damage, drop, recoil etc.. are working correctly. Tweak Sniper rifle mechanics in SA to be more realistic, this also happens to result in a slightly more evenly 'balanced' game.

Edited by Pokerguy10
  • Like 16

agreed one sniping bandit can kill everyone in a town no sweat.

I haven't heard anywhere if there will be a weight/fatigue system in SA. Adding this will perhaps even the playing field a little. Surely this is something that cant NOT be added (sorry about the double negative).

Also, something like a leveling system would be nice, so not just anyone could pick up a sniper rifle and be a perfect shot. Same goes for skinning an animal, being a medic etc. The more you do it, the better you become. I think these elements may be added in the future, but probably not on release.

• Like 1

Also, something like a leveling system would be nice, so not just anyone could pick up a sniper rifle and be a perfect shot. Same goes for skinning an animal, being a medic etc. The more you do it, the better you become. I think these elements may be added in the future, but probably not on release.

Probably..... but NO !!

imagine a hardcore dmr bandit having character advantages over regular players.

• Like 2

no class system you can role play if you wish though

• Like 3

I haven't heard anywhere if there will be a weight/fatigue system in SA. Adding this will perhaps even the playing field a little. Surely this is something that cant NOT be added (sorry about the double negative).

Y U DO DIS? A leveling system surely wouldn't be the answer. Imagine being relatively new to the game, finding a CZ550 just to find out you can't use it... This mod isn't made for that. You can play it the way you want to.

• Like 5

Extremely light weighted, no one can horse an .50 rifle and spare mags through a forest without an effort

I always complain about this, one of the two reasons I want all .50s removed...

The mod devs are already considering adding wind drift to weapons http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/130854-wind-and-ballistics-system/

Hopefully the SA is also thinking along the same lines.

• Like 2

If not removing 50 cals remove the ability to fire them off hand or lock snipers in first person so they don't periscope over a whole town. Its not that snipers can easily kill everyone its just that such rifles abuse the third person perspecitive to the extreme.

• Like 1

I'm unsure how many of the players have ever actually shot any sort of scoped rifle in real life before. But I can tell you, I've only shot with them a few times and if they were that hard to shoot in DayZ then I wouldn't hit the broadside of a (High value) barn :P. Anyhow I heard that there will be less focus on military hardware in the SA, so less .50 more hunting rifle I spose.

I'd like to see the ACE mod's sniping dynamics, but it's one of those cases where a dumbed-down mechanic takes the place of a dizzyingly sophisticated one. Sure, the view doesn't swim as much in the game as it would in real life, but in real life I could use a tree or fence or rock to steady the rifle, which is impossible in DayZ. I have breath control options not limited to "Huff and puff until you're okay" and "Hold your breath" in real life, and I can look at grass and trees to approximate wind direction and speed., not to mention feeling the air moving.

• Like 3

The inventory system should be more realistic. Right now you can put a sniper rifle in your backpack while holding another rifle in the hands. Also like OP said, it should be taken care of more factors like weight and movement speed.

On the other side, in the original DayZ I don't find sniper rifles after all because the droprate is low (or i'm very unlucky).

I'm unsure how many of the players have ever actually shot any sort of scoped rifle in real life before. But I can tell you, I've only shot with them a few times and if they were that hard to shoot in DayZ then I wouldn't hit the broadside of a (High value) barn :P. Anyhow I heard that there will be less focus on military hardware in the SA, so less .50 more hunting rifle I spose.

I hit a coin at 20 meters with a scoped windchester when i was 11.... still have that coin with a hole in its side today.

That was my onle experience firing live ammo, the rest of the time till now its been air rifles. Anyway in that short experience i can tell you that rifles especially unmaintained ones kept by civillians never hit on the dot. I got that shot with the rifle resting on some books on a table and even then it was really shaky. Firing a rifle is HARD!

agreed one sniping bandit can kill everyone in a town no sweat.

Are you for real?? One sniping bandit can kill every n00b running around in the open yeah. Anybody with a brain could easily flank the single bandit in the hills and kill him.

@Pokerguy I've fired handguns,shotguns,rifles and sniper rifles and I don't know what your talking about but once you learn how to handle the gun they are easy to hit with.

• Like 2

That implies a leveling up system where weapon handling gets easier for the player, there is no place in Dayz for that. I dont know how good your marksmanship skills with a sniper rifle are, but i know for a fact that you did not hit anything with it for a long time after starting.

That leaves us to the question of what skill level of weapons handling the character should possess. As it is, all dayz characters are naturally gifted expert marksman fitted with enough skills to be a military sniper instructor.

Edited by Pokerguy10

I hit a coin at 20 meters with a scoped windchester when i was 11.... still have that coin with a hole in its side today.

That was my onle experience firing live ammo, the rest of the time till now its been air rifles. Anyway in that short experience i can tell you that rifles especially unmaintained ones kept by civillians never hit on the dot. I got that shot with the rifle resting on some books on a table and even then it was really shaky. Firing a rifle is HARD!

I hit a can mid-air after it had been shot by someone else, complete fluke but I still have the can up on my shelves. It's a pepsi.

I hit a can mid-air after it had been shot by someone else, complete fluke but I still have the can up on my shelves. It's a pepsi.

K. now give your DMR and spare mags to the first bambie you come across

The inventory system should be more realistic. Right now you can put a sniper rifle in your backpack while holding another rifle in the hands. Also like OP said, it should be taken care of more factors like weight and movement speed.

On the other side, in the original DayZ I don't find sniper rifles after all because the droprate is low (or i'm very unlucky).

Sorry but you are 100% wrong on this, yes you cant put it in your PACK but I basically see it as slinging it over my back. Living in Arizona when I go hunting it is a pretty long hike. when I was 16 my father had me carry the rifles and the pack, our pack was usually full of medical supplies and food and water in-case we where to get lost. I had a 30-06 slug over my back underneath the backpack whilst carrying my rifle (For the life of me i cant remember what I carried, I always envied my fathers rifle). And I simply fired the rifle whilst having that equipment on my back, so before you say the "Weight" is a problem or carrying more than one rifle is hard then you need to get out more. We hiked about 4-5 miles every time we went out of a hunt and never did carrying that equipment hinder my aim. And those of you saying firing from a scoped weapon is "Difficult" one of the biggest issues is if you rifle is not zero'd to THAT SPECIFIC SHOOTER than yes you are going to miss horribly. Many people hold weapons differently and can have a 2-3 inch difference when positioned behind the scope. Looking down a scope a inch can meet feet down the range. So once again learn your facts please!

• Like 3

allways ppl cry about snipers, 1st read what SCOPESHOT sayd , then think a bit more and will see that on games is harder snipe cuz target has not fatigue and more lives so can run whole day , thread should be "WE HATE LONGE RANGE CAMPER"

ps : and yes, I have 2 scoped rifles, with bipod and right zero'd its hard to miss

I´m not a fan of removing weapons. I love high end gear. I hope there are other solutions for that. Make them rar. All weapons have a quality from 1 - 100, so a Lee Enfield could be better than a DMR. You see no numbers, you must test them. A standing target get down get 10% damage, a knee rising target get 5%, a laying target get 1% damage for each weapon. Each klick a peapon have 5% chance to get damage 1 percent. Something like this, but don´t remove weapons please. :P

A.C.E. mod for this game handles the weight issues nicely.

Load up with satchels and run about 10 yards and you will pass out. Too heavy.

As for artificial accuracy percentages based off of skill trees or whtever is not a good idea for this game. If you want to be more accurate just practice. If you want someone else to be LESS accurate then too damn bad.

• Like 3

yeah agreed, it could be fun if snipers get ACEd :) sniping with ace is more fun it make you feel like a sniper, with out ace its like noobing with better optics

I'm fine with AS50s in the game, but they should be relatively rare. And they would be if every hacker didn't spawn 20 of them into the game.

I´m not a fan of removing weapons. I love high end gear. I hope there are other solutions for that. Make them rar. All weapons have a quality from 1 - 100, so a Lee Enfield could be better than a DMR. You see no numbers, you must test them. A standing target get down get 10% damage, a knee rising target get 5%, a laying target get 1% damage for each weapon. Each klick a peapon have 5% chance to get damage 1 percent. Something like this, but don´t remove weapons please. :P

IRL a Lee Enfield is nearly the same thing as a DMR. A DMR is just an M14 bolt action battle rifle with some enhanced optics and whatnot, but both would blow your head off at 1000m just as easily.

But I'm with you. I'm fine with all manner of crazy military weaponry. But it should be balanced by scarcity, scarcity of ammo, weight considerations and other gameplay factors so it's not just a game of ghillie suited snipers shooting at each other from 1000 m away.

Plus it's a big map! Why don't people just stay away from the sniper hot spots?

Anybody with a brain could easily flank the single bandit in the hills and kill him.

>Implying they aren't using third person

Seriosuly? The OP is playing the realism card.....what about the errr zombies?

I get what your trying to say about the sniper rifles, i think they should take them out of the game in the standalone bar say one or two that are very rare but no 50. cals etc.

But if your going to go on about the ability to run with a gun on your back and aim etc. vs realism well then theres a lot more to take issue with than that, we should also have a bladder icon that dictates when we gotta take a shit and piss in the woods too, i mean imagine coming across a guy taking a shit in the woods and wasting him....that would be worth a screenshot surely?...plus there would then at least be a reason to carry toilet role around with you....cos no-one wants to see the 'dirty bum' meter rising to high! :)

As for artificial accuracy percentages based off of skill trees or whtever is not a good idea for this game. If you want to be more accurate just practice. If you want someone else to be LESS accurate then too damn bad.

They don't have to be artificial things. They can be improvements in things like maintenance, scope sway, reload speed, or even something as simple as time to pull the bolt. It makes sense that somebody that is more familiar with a weapon would perform better in realistic ways. This gives your character much more of an identity.