Pokerguy12

Will Snipers Be Removed Or At Least Tweaked In S.A?

Hmmm, it definitely would, however I think it would be unrealistic to have zombies know exactly where someone is when that person is a kilometre away.

I've been unable to hear gunshots on the road near the local range, and I know for a fact the range is only 500 meters away. Of course that's not typical, the road is very loud (major highway) and the range is in dense forest... but I doubt a zombie hearing a gunshot at 1000 meters would instantly start running in that direction.

The old Lee-Enfield with the "dinner bell" reputation drew zombies at 234 meters and that was considered far...

Right now though zombies have almost no senses, they seem to be half-blind and unable to hear, so audible range does need to be increased. :lol:

ok, maybe 1000m is exaggerated (maybe 500m is good). Elevation and topography should play a role in it as well ( if technically feasible).

I wouldn't expect them to run to the exact spot where the shot came from but at least run in frenzied mode until they were within 100m of it, then start searching the area.

the problem in the mod is zombies only spawn near towns and buildings and only when other players are near. server-side zombies couple with random wilderness ones would increase the likelihood of drawing attention.

the main point i am trying to make is if loud noise, be it gunshots, vehicles, explosions, etc..., were to be a much more dangerous thing to survivors, sniping would be much riskier and less likely.

Note: In The Walking dead when the helicopter flying over a city causes the entire zombie population to migrate in the direction it flew (but on a much smaller scale) is what i see being cool gameplay. imagine crossing a field and seeing hundreds of infected trudging out of the field opposite the one you just entered.

Edited by Bubbajones

the problem in the mod is zombies only spawn near towns and buildings and only when other players are near. server-side zombies couple with random wilderness ones would increase the likelihood of drawing attention.

I hate those rare wilderness zombies with a passion... they helped get me killed recently, without a broken leg I would have taken a couple shots and scrammed into the woods, but no morphine... bah. Still I can't complain, zombies only in towns doesn't make sense either.

Anyways anything to make zombies more deadly is welcome in my books, they should behave like one should actually expect them to behave, right now they most definitely do not. The running and then searching sounds good.

Just no...

For the post above this one... wtf were u even doing? That was just so bad. T.T

Edited by Erik
  • Like 1

I hate those rare wilderness zombies with a passion... they helped get me killed recently, without a broken leg I would have taken a couple shots and scrammed into the woods, but no morphine... bah. Still I can't complain, zombies only in towns doesn't make sense either.

Anyways anything to make zombies more deadly is welcome in my books, they should behave like one should actually expect them to behave, right now they most definitely do not. The running and then searching sounds good.

Wow you sure do frequently visit this thread OO

That video is living proof of the wealth of entertainment to be had sniping in DayZ ...

Lay on ground nowhere interesting, do diddly-squat for a long time, miss targets repeatedly, get beaten to death by zeds :lol:

Don't remove them.

Make them more difficult to use at range, particularly at anything above 300m.

Make them also bigger zombie attractors, make sitting on ahill all afternoon sniping people a more uncomfortable proposition.

I damn know if there was a real zombie apocalypse and I came accross an automatic rifle or a bolt action sniper, I'd take the assault rifle. If you are going to snipe then you have a big PvP advantage so in turn you should have a PvZ disadvantage. That way people would use snipers very rarely, they would be kept in tents/cars etc and probably used by one person in a group whilst tohers had more flexible al round weaponry.

• Like 1

None of them (the 7.62s) have muzzle brakes, and I don't think the flash hider on the M14 and DMRs would make any discernible difference, so I don't want to see sniper rifles being treated "differently", same as how many games have them dealing more damage "just because".

"just because".

different barrel lengths/configs = different muzzle velocity. in high calibre rifles it may not mean much in terms on "damage" but firing the 5.56 NATO from an M16 has different results than firing it from an M4, lower velocity, more likely to pass through tissue without tumbling..

I think I saw a good video that mentioned this by nutnfancy

EDIT: no idea why I said High calibre rifles, I am a retard

Edited by Psychiatrist

Private alpha testers confirm - snipers to stay in SA.

9203b61309d2c25dc0de6556502f08c5.jpg

Tweak ok, bur snipers really belong to DayZ.

So you can make the more rare or ,more difficult to use... but DayZ without snipers is not our DayZ.

Tweak ok, bur snipers really belong to DayZ.

So you can make the more rare or ,more difficult to use... but DayZ without snipers is not our DayZ.

Don't think about it as making them more difficult to use, it's about improving the game. Adding wind drift is an improvement for both realism and fun.

The only way it would be a "nerf" is if they only added drift (or other effects) for sniper rifles, but left assault rifles and other guns alone... I doubt that will happen, if snipers get drift, everything gets drift and that = improvement.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 1

I don't see a problem with them...

There is no problem with them.

Its a few whiners that don't want snipers in any games they play that have been the vocal minority around here for a while which is why we see these threads resurface every now and then.

I'm all for adding in sway, drift, bullet drop, wind resistance as it will all add to the experience of sniping.

Removing them is as stupid as removing zombies, it's just not going to happen.

I don't know about y'all, but I find it hard to shoot anything with two car engines and a whole wheel and tire in my backpack. Not to mention this fuel tank and steel hedgehog I'm carrying under my arms...

I hate those rare wilderness zombies with a passion...

:( But random wilderness zombies are one of the best things to ever happen to the mod, why you gotta hate...

One scared the shit out of me...i was prone in the woods and one started its heavy breathing sound from 5 meters or less...overwatch on an isolated town a lone Z makes me roll out of the way...i wish there were hordes and more and more...at least the woods are as slow now

Edited by Trizzo

I just want everything like ACE/ACRE. Radios, wind, weight...

Sniping in ACE is *so much more fun*. You actually need some (quite little) skill and it takes some time to set up a shot. Check the range tables, estimate wind, fire, readjust, fire. You can't spin on a dime and hit the guy on the other hill at 1000m like in dayz.

I hate third person in Day Z, why do people insist on playing servers that advocate it but then complain that it's unrealistic, or that they keep getting sniped. Without third person you MUST have line of sight on a sniper who can see you, that alone makes a huge difference. There is only one server out of all the UK servers that has 3rd person off, to me that's simply retarded. On third person servers, I can sit in a tree, completely hidden and have a 360 degree view around me without ever risking being spotted, Or be in a window looking out able to see everything, again without ever giving the enemy a chance to see me. It just makes everything too easy, and destroys the whole risk/reward gameplay that I associate with Day Z.

Support the servers that have third person off, support the kind of gameplay you want. I've been killed by a sniper that i was unaware of twice in my hundreds of hours of playing day Z, but like i said I only play on servers that do not allow third person. I've flanked quite a few and spotted quite a few before running into their field of fire, but only been blind sided by them twice, that seems reasonable to me. If I had been paying more attention I probably could have spotted them as well.

There are a few common sense rules to follow apart from never playing easymode third person servers. Learn from your mistakes, why don't you try sniping yourself to get a feel for it, you don't actually have to shoot anyone, just get to the point where you could.

Snipers removed from DayZ? Wouldn't be the same.

Buffed would be the way to go.

I can sit in a tree, completely hidden and have a 360 degree view around me without ever risking being spotted,

The least you could do is make your statement slightly believable.

Sitting in a tree in 3rd person does not allow you to be able to see everything. Last I checked you look behind you and you see..... A TREE!

Support the servers that have third person off, support the kind of gameplay you want.

How bout I support the servers I want to support. I happen to use 3rd person in this game because the 1st person view is HORRIBLE! It gives me a headache, it doesn't give good FOV. That is why servers have different options. Don't like it then don't play it. And don't dictate YOUR game play on others. Because all that makes you is a turd.

It will most likely stay the same. Fear of being one shotted is the emotional state rocket wants players in

We need a gps targeting device for airstrikes from heaven

We need a gps targeting device for airstrikes from heaven

We need one of these $17,000 TrackingPoint rifles...

PV2oHcQ.png

l5fUVcy.jpg

eEmrNpw.png

• Like 2

We need one of these $17,000 TrackingPoint rifles...

Yeah.. I uh don't normally post here, but wtf is up with your avatar and siggy? This is not 4chan

Since you've apparently shot a weapon, i'm assuming you're an adult???? Why would a full grown adult use a PONY as his avatar? I have no idea how the moderators even approved your annoying animated siggy either.

I know an avatar is not a definition of who you are, but seriously do you expect anyone here to take you seriously with a PONY and that awful repeating animation you have in your siggy????? Or for that matter listen to your "weapon advice".

EDIT: I used a larger font size to demonstrate on how annoying your siggy is with it's flashy animation.

Edited by Inception.
Font size and image quote edited so it's smaller.