Clumzy (DayZ)

Holding a key to raise weapon? Your thoughts

Holding a key to raise weapon? Your thoughts  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have to hold a key to raise a weapon?

Maybe suggestions isn't the best place to post this, but I figured that players would add their own thoughts and suggestions to the idea, making it kind of a suggestion.

Several DayZ gameplay videos involve Rocket talking about having to hold down a key to raise the character's weapon, otherwise it will be held down. What do you guys think of this?

Personally, I think it's a good idea. As Rocket said, it would help show a player's intentions, but not in an artificial manner, and also represents the fact that it isn't easy to hold a firearm at the ready for extended periods of time. It will also help curb accidental misfires, like when using the action menu.

However, I don't think it should be necessary to hold a key when lying prone, as you could rest it on the ground. The same would go for deploying a weapon on other surfaces if such a feature were to be implemented.

So, share your thoughts, opinions, and suggestions here.

• Like 9

I'm not too sure about this.

I'll wait and see how it is before making my mind up though.

My thoughts on this are basically the same as Clumzy's.

Edited by Noszombie

this is the beauty of steam and the whole updating feature, we can just try stuff. maybe even use the mod as a test bed.

I'm for this but maybe give it a toggle option? If you keep it for too long, it should go down automatically and you should have shaky aim for some time due to tired muscles.

• Like 1

Not unless I can somehow use my mouse to do it.

Holding down a keyboard button would be a pain to use with other movement controls. Actually, the spacebar might work quite well but I use that for "hold breath" at the moment.

A good idea... it would just have to be implemented carefully.

• Like 1

I think it's too early to answer a poll TBH. As GEWS said, it needs to be implemented carefully and there's a lot of testing to be done yet.

Edited by Fraggle

I thought I was going to hate it but having used it actually like it. Wait until you try it out first imo. They did say they have two systems so if everyone hates it in the alpha they can easily switch it to the version used in ArmA 3.

• Like 1

I voted "No" since it would just be a pain holding down another key to bring it up. I mean, it wouldn't be a gamebreaker if it was implemented. I just think It would hamper my movement in a firefight. When Rocket said that it would help with the KoS mentality, the only way I can see it work in that way is if the player raises their weapon which presents themselves as hostile.

I voted yes if it is a toggle rather than hold key.

Edited by Orest

I'm not sold on the idea I like the thought process behind it but holding a key could be cumbersome and could get confusing if you are trying to do other things maybe a toggle? I am partial to Arma 3 system

I actually kind of like the idea. I'm currently working on a custom control scheme in Arma 3 similar to it.

I have a question about this. What if a player would use a controller for DayZ Standalone and how would that person hold a button down?

I have a question about this. What if a player would use a controller for DayZ Standalone and how would that person hold a button down?

Change the key to one on the controller and hold that, thumbstick or one of the L1/L2 buttons might be a good choice although personally I don't know how you do it currently, I feel like I am already running out of keys using a keyboard and mouse.

Edited by smasht_AU

I'd prefer that you 'toggle' it on or off, and when it's toggled on, you can't run.

Holding down a specific key, and then aiming down sights, and then zooming in.....

It just over-complicates the simple act of firing.

I'd prefer that you 'toggle' it on or off, and when it's toggled on, you can't run.

Holding down a specific key, and then aiming down sights, and then zooming in.....

It just over-complicates the simple act of firing.

You don't need to hold down a key to iron sight, just right click like you do now.

Edited by smasht_AU

hmm but people with mouses with buttons have the advantage which is a good thing and a bad thing at the same time.

Edited by nousernamehelp

hmm but people with mouses with buttons have the advantage which is a good thing and a bad thing at the same time.

there are cheap gaming mouses i found 12$ mouse from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/EMS131BK-Precision-Controls-included-Authentic/dp/B005CPGHAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365141904&sr=8-1&keywords=gaming+mouse

People with mice always have the advantage. :ph34r:

• Like 1

there are cheap gaming mouses i found 12$ mouse from amazon

http://www.amazon.co...ds=gaming mouse

good point I did say a good thing at the same time kids who have an old computer bought years age will not have mice yay. =less cod kids more hardcore gamers. tbh I don't care I got one.

Edited by nousernamehelp

People with mice always have the advantage. :ph34r:

ha ha I did say mice with buttons and they will always have the advantage I know.

I think the discussion is:

Oh yes: so people can get out of conflicts without firign easier.

vs.

Oh no. I don't want to hold the button all the time, because I aim to kill all the time.

I personally like the idea. We have to see how it is implemented, but whoever had a day at the shooting-range with an assault-rifle should know that holding that bitch up for hours is just impossible. Even for a light rifle.

• Like 1