Sign in to follow this  
leviski

Defibrillation Confirmed!

So in this video Rocket picks up a defib, does anyone think this will potentially allow you to revive people after death?

If so how long can they be dead before it will no longer work, and whats the success fail rate?

All interesting questions. Anyone have some ideas?

• Like 2

Defibrilators cannot be used to restart someone's heart, that only works in the movies...

• Like 8

As above, that's not how they work. Basically a heart has a normal rhythm and if a heart isn't beating correctly then defibrillators are used to essentially shock it back into it's normal rhythm. It's will not start a heart that isn't beating. I don't know how they are going to be utilised though.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 2

can just imagine hopping around and reviving like on BF3 i hope its not the same, maybe it will be used to stop passing out at low blood like epi pens but better?

• Like 1

As above, that's not how they work. Basically a heart has a normal rhythm and if a heart isn't beating correctly then defibrillators are used to essentially shock it back into it's normal rhythm. It's will not start a heart that isn't beating. I don't know how they are going to be utilised though.

Battlefield logic says different.

• Like 3

Fuck healing people.

I want to defib a ghillie sniper. While he's still alive.

• Like 6

How about Atropine, Vasopressin, or Epinephrine with CPR? Makes more sense and would add more to the Medical Loot Table.

Maybe in standalone you can get a heart attack or something

Edited by Shrimpy223
  • Like 1

one of the variables in dayz code was indicating heart attack only it was never made to work properly. i guess he still nurses the idea

I do hope it's not a BF3 defib.

You're right, BC2 revive was much better.

• Like 2

*AS50 to the head*

*Defib the area of choice*

Good as knew

This. Rocket is not that stupid to make the work like in arcade shooters.

Look look, Im a certified life-guard and I know this but it would be nice to have some mechanic to revive team mates. And It can revive a dead person, it is very VERY unlikley but it is possible.

I have no qualms with games like L4D and Battlefield using defibs to bring people back from the dead but IMO it's just really not right for DayZ. Once you're dead, you should be dead.

I have no qualms with games like L4D and Battlefield using defibs to bring people back from the dead but IMO it's just really not right for DayZ. Once you're dead, you should be dead.

Agree, though, I would like to see some sort of 'extra time'. I am a life guard and I know for example that the brain takes 4 minutes without oxygen to suffer irreversible damages. What about a 4 minutes window to revive someone who isn't dead by a headshot or a shot to the heart. Dying from being beaten by zombies could be reversible if the player recieves transfusion + epi-pen + CRP in time. Would be fun to save a friend from the claws of the death in a rush to a hospital. And it doesn't seems extremeley unrealistic te me (not even unrealistic as the morphine-bone-healer).

• Like 1

I hope this isn't a Battlefield-style reviver.

I can't see any other use for it, though - are they going to implement cardiac arrest? I doubt it. Hope DayZ standalone isn't going to cater to the casual crowd...

This is where that thread "gore and dismemberment and sewing back on limbs" could come in handy... if someone's brains and face are splattered in little pulpy chunks all over the streets of Elektro, they ain't coming back.

There should absolutely, be defibrillators in DayZ, specifically AEDs. I can't speak for former Soviet republics but they are certainly quite common in the US. Plus they are easily used with virtually no training. A typical scenario might play out like the following:

While raiding the school you're buddy takes a burst of 545 to the chest and goes down.

After quickly securing the area you rush over and check his body, no pulse. Most of the bleeding seems to have stopped but there is a bit of a puddle.

You open your pack and dig out the shinny new AED you just found, remove the device & pads from its pouch, open the crafting menu and attach the pads turning it on.

AED: "Remove all clothing from patient's chest."

You follow directions, no need to save the shirt, its a little sticky.

AED: "Apply pads firmly to bare skin exactly as shown in picture."

It takes a couple tries but eventually you get the pads in the right place. This would be a lot easier if they hadn't removed the cross hairs.

AED: "Do not touch patient, evaluating heart rhythm."

You step back and breathe a sigh of relief. Everything is going to be OK.

AED: "No shock advised."

Shit! What's wrong? You jump forward, reposition the pads and step back.

This can't be happening! Dammit I should have paid more attention during First Aid class. You move the pads again but all this blood is making it difficult to get them to stick.

After a few more attempts you finally give up, nothing to do now but sort out the gear. At least it was a quick death and Zack didn't get him.

Now that would be an intuitive medical system. Who knows, somebody might even learn something. Didn't somebody want more useless trash loot in the game?

• Like 1

Agree, though, I would like to see some sort of 'extra time'. I am a life guard and I know for example that the brain takes 4 minutes without oxygen to suffer irreversible damages.

I should stop practicing holding my breath for lulz then right? (my record is 4 mins lol)

They are adding a few drugs and stuff right? Its not unlikely that one of those will cause your heartbeat to go irregular. Would a defib help fix that? I figure an irregular heartbeat would give you issues surviving a zombie apocalypse.

Edited by Talibambi

I can't help but see people say "Defibs don't do this" but then I just sit here telling myself "So I guess injecting your leg with morphine fixes it and allows you to run around good as new?"

• Like 3

I should stop practicing holding my breath for lulz then right? (my record is 4 mins lol)

They are adding a few drugs and stuff right? Its not unlikely that one of those will cause your heartbeat to go irregular. Would a defib help fix that? I figure an irregular heartbeat would give you issues surviving a zombie apocalypse.

If your brain lacks of oxygen you would fall unconscious within 5 seconds. Holding your breath doesn't stops your brain from getting ox, all of it reamins in your blood. A heart attack is what stops your brain from renewing oxygen. You can keep practicing ;)

Back on topic, if the defribilator is added to the game for sure it will have an unrealistic purpose, as it does the morphine right now. The hopes are for not having some sort of god mode with it.

Can we kill snipers with it? Like Redux's chloroform but better?

The main reason for morphine is: What other option is there? Apart from crawling for 6 weeks, which I doubt anyone would like, there really is no other option. Where as in defib there are 3 of which one is already in game.

We could add as well a "Revive Dead" magic liquid to put emphasys on social interaction. This could be used only once by another player on your dead body to bring you back to life. Hmm... Maybe Mountain Dew so the bitmaps are already there.

_Anubis_