willey.erd@oundleschool.org.uk

DayZ Alpha won't launch until launched !

It's the decision of the developers not only the thoughts of Rocket, so don't be stupid.

But I would release it soon as an Early Access Game on Steam like ArmA 3, so they could earn some money for the developement to make a even better game.

It's the decision of the developers not only the thoughts of Rocket, so don't be stupid.

But I would release it soon as an Early Access Game on Steam like ArmA 3, so they could earn some money for the developement to make a even better game.

That's what they're doing. It isn't ready yet...

do these people know how hard it is to make computer simulation games?

Edited by nousernamehelp

Obviously we all love what Hall did with the DayZ mod and yes all the adults in the forum agree that Hall should be involved throughout the development.

I will buy this game when it comes out, no question.

BUT

This game engine Arma II, it is old and I have a major worry that when the time rolls around for SA of DayZ to hit the markets it will be competing on a visual level with games such as BF4.

Now I have to reiterate the content and game play going into the SA is unmatched by any game I have seen outside an MMO but there is no question that the Arma 2 engine is aging, the guys have done some impressive things with what they have but I really am concerned that DayZ SA will need a face lift almost immediately after launch, I am sure when BI see the sales of this title they will be forced to create an arma 3 version to keep up with the amazing work other games are also producing.

I could go on about the risks of taking to long to produce a title (and DayZ is fast comparatively) however DayZ doesn't need a story, its just a big sandbox. Again big fan of the concept but this in itself removes months if not years of development work. Modifying the client/server architecture however is a monumental task and this will have to be the ace in the hole for the game, I am sure when it reaches us we will look at the MOD and think.... I can't believe I actually played that! (Again for all the kids out there that's not a dig at the MOD but a high five to the SA)

I realize that I balance most of my arguments myself but I do have worries, I have personally worked on projects that I executed just like this, some worked well, most did not.

I hope when the Alpha is released to us we can nut out any issues quickly and get it into the beta fast so the team can keep the community satisfied.

• Like 1

arma II is still selling. why would they release an early access? when arma II stops selling, they will put dayz sa alpha on sale. wake up please.

they wanna squeeze the most out of their product (arma II co) and thats what I would do too..

cuz when you look at combined operations, It is painfully underrated pc game. ppl find out it is as much fun as dayz after they got bored from dayz and try different mods - coop missions. it has amazing content. shits all over the other similar games. now they are selling their product after 2 years, why would they cut that with dayz sa release. its great income for both arma3 and dayz sa development.

BUT

This game engine Arma II, it is old and I have a major worry that when the time rolls around for SA of DayZ to hit the markets it will be competing on a visual level with games such as BF4.

First sentence, First mistake. It is NOT Arma 2 engine. It is an entirely new engine, written specifically for DayZ. It is as much an Arma2-engine, as Arma3 is an Arma2-engine. It's several different builds.

As rocket pointed out so many times, a mod can only do as much as the game allows it to do. Arma allows the developer to fall back to a huge amount of functions, that are in the engine, that dayZ just doesn't need, but that would slow down the game, as they could not be removed for the mod.

The DayZ-SA engine, will allow a MMO-like client-server architecture, that is not possible as a mod in Arma 3.

So no matter what, they have to make their own engine. Now they took the TOH-engine, which is a modified Arma2-engine, threw out all the stuff they did not need and added Arma3-code as well as custom code. They entirely remade the character models, skeleton, zombies, inventory, UI, items, map... Something that would not be possible using Arma 3 as the basis, as Arma 3 in it's initial release doesn't even support java-code to be put into the game, a thing needed for persistent open world games like dayz.

tl;dr: It is NOT arma 2 engine. it's dayZ-Stanalone-engine!

• Like 2

@Excursion

hey man good points but I don't agree with you at graphics department. arma games have their original look since OFP and personally I don't like this new look of the games (bf4 or crysis3). If I could replace my eyes with my tongue, I can tell you new shiny dx11 games taste like something with a lots of sugar, additives, like a donut filled with 3 days old diet warm coke in it as soon as you take a bite it tastes fucking awful and messes up your shirt -something make you wanna puke.

this ultra "realistic look" is a brain programming. nothing to do with being a game. big explosions, realistic lightings, top notch voice acting etc is just something beyond gaming. when you look at the bf4 short video fishing in baku you see baku as a messed up place just like afghanistan which is far from it. few months later when ppl see at cnn some news reporter telling "crysis in baku" etc they will go back and say "yeah baku is a fucked up place meh I better play bf4"

anyway my point is dayz sa will be fine with its graphics.

• Like 2

Excursion graphics don't matter here a game does look at minecraft's success and its graphics are shit all that is needed is good gameplay not beast graphics hell DayZ and BF3 have the same amount of audience so we can expect success out of the SA.

No rocket is not the one for the job he was just a modder who made a great mod he didn't want to lead an entire game he is probably climbing mount Everest to take a break from it all.

• Like 1

No rocket is not the one for the job he was just a modder who made a great mod he didn't want to lead an entire game he is probably climbing mount Everest to take a break from it all.

He has past experiences in gaming companies for your information; and he is climbing Mt. Everest because Rocket said that was one thing he always wanted to do in his life, and now he has an opportunity to do so.

I am glad for rocket. After everything he's been through, I think he deserves some time off; even if it means climbing a low-oxygen area with a climate equivalent to someone dying of frostbite in a minute if they had no clothes on.

• Like 1

arma II is still selling. why would they release an early access? when arma II stops selling, they will put dayz sa alpha on sale. wake up please.

they wanna squeeze the most out of their product (arma II co) and thats what I would do too..

Going by that logic then, why would Bohemia release the Alpha for Arma 3 already?

Dayz SA is not released because it isn't ready for release, it's as simple as that, there is no conspiracy theory no matter how much you want there to be.

• Like 4

Climbing Everest is a once in a lifetime opportunity. It takes years to even be considered to be able to climb it. How the heck could he pass it up? He'll never get the chance ever again.

And who else would make DayZ? Some businessman who's only interested in making a quick buck? A fan who liked the mod, but might not keep it's original vision? Or perhaps someone who can't handle the pressure of developement and would just add in anything that fans ask for?

Rocket, from what I've seen, is the only developer who would actually keep DayZ's original vision intact, while being able to take responsibility for whatever to the game and who will be 100% truthful. Tell me again, why isn't he the right man for the job?

• Like 4

Going by that logic then, why would Bohemia release the Alpha for Arma 3 already?

Dayz SA is not released because it isn't ready for release, it's as simple as that, there is no conspiracy theory no matter how much you want there to be.

lol well dude don't mix arma community with dayz. ppl been playing arma2 since 3 years now and they purchased it the day it came out, not becouse of dayz and ppl been waiting for new game for a while now.. what I'm saying there are ppl still buying arma II oa just for dayz. think about it. why would they cut this money with dayz sa alpha release?

fanbase support bohemia since day 1 doesnt give a rats ass about dayz and bohemia wants arma3 to be their best release ever so they need community feedback to make it. this is also important for dayz sa which will include same steam support as arma3. thats why arma3 alpha is out now and dayz isn't. tell me if they release a broken not working dayz sa alpha who wouldn't buy it? just to look at menu and get an error ppl would pay 15bucks and race to put first youtube video and keep supporting. theres no conspiracy here. its a fact. get over it.

lol well dude don't mix arma community with dayz. ppl been playing arma2 since 3 years now and they purchased it the day it came out, not becouse of dayz and ppl been waiting for new game for a while now.. what I'm saying there are ppl still buying arma II oa just for dayz. think about it. why would they cut this money with dayz sa alpha release?

fanbase support bohemia since day 1 doesnt give a rats ass about dayz and bohemia wants arma3 to be their best release ever so they need community feedback to make it. this is also important for dayz sa which will include same steam support as arma3. thats why arma3 alpha is out now and dayz isn't. tell me if they release a broken not working dayz sa alpha who wouldn't buy it? just to look at menu and get an error ppl would pay 15bucks and race to put first youtube video and keep supporting. theres no conspiracy here. its a fact. get over it.

Holy shit dude, you just went full retard.

Edited by RedNome
  • Like 4

It's not like June is even that long to wait.

Will give you a head start on the zeds at least.

my argument is leading an entire game aint easy and yes he deserves time off.

Listen, dumbass. The majority of folks here WANT to buy the alpha release, because they WANT to see the game as it develops, safe in the knowledge that THEY OWN THE GAME ALREADY.

Listen, dumbass. You've demonstrated that fan boys WANT to buy an unfinished product. You haven't refuted my point. In fact, no one has; there's nothing but a page of ad hominem.

No rocket is not the one for the job he was just a modder who made a great mod

But that's wrong. He was previously employed by Bohemia Interactive.

Edited by gummy52

Well at least he will bless us with another Dev Blog before Everest. (He tweeted that he was writing one) I'm actually interested to see the rest of the team continue to put out some Dev Blogs. I would love to see their take on them.

never go full retard :P

-------------------------

You fellas are all right in your own way, graphics are not the be all and end all but they are what attracts "most" people to a title.

(There are so many titles on the market that prove this don't even bother trying to say that's incorrect)

Arma 3 was released for one simple reason, arma 2 is aging. if it wasn't they why bother making a sequel??

Several people have said that they want to get the most of arma 2 as possible before it sinks, again this reinforces the point I was trying to make.

The point of my post, it wasn't to say they should or shouldn't do this, more so that by releasing it on an older platform they run the risk of getting left behind of sale figures because of the aging engine.

(Again please don't try to explain this is a different engine because it is not, the architecture is different but the rendering engine is the same)

I don't mind when people voice an opinion but it makes you look silly when you comment on things you don't fully understand, just take a few minutes and Google what a rendering engine is.

Like I said above "never go full retard"

I seriously doubt that BI are spending big bucks on DayZ, I would expect they are doing it low cost to get the most dollar value to themselves.

If you believe that they care about anything other than money then please take a short course in marketing.

On the other hand I have no doubt that Dean and the team care about this title from a creative point of view and want to see it succeed but they are clearly working to a tight budget.

I only wish I could help them in a more direct way.

Never go full retard...

@gummy

We're watching as the development progresses and anticipating a release. If you consider our support for a work in progress "fanboyism", you're in the wrong place.

You've chosen to make yourelf part of this community, clearly with the aims of becoming the resident contrarian.

Your "point" is nothing but an opinion, which you're entitled to hold. Just don't expect anything nearing agreement from me.

EDIT:

I even went back to read everything you've written AGAIN, to ensure I hadn't mininterpreted your posts.

As I suspected, you haven't even come close to making a "point", infact what I've found is that you yourself are the one making statements ad hominem and have jumped to conclusions I would expect from someone who wears a tin-foil hat.

Bohemia Interactive have a good reputation, as does Rocket himself. Any assumptions made regarding the development and release of DayZ are tempered, quite rightly, with this reputation in consideration.

You are also earning a reputation. One less flattering.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 4

First sentence, First mistake. It is NOT Arma 2 engine. It is an entirely new engine, written specifically for DayZ. It is as much an Arma2-engine, as Arma3 is an Arma2-engine. It's several different builds.

tl;dr: It is NOT arma 2 engine. it's dayZ-Stanalone-engine!

The family tree:

OFP --> Arma 1

Arma 1 --> Arma 2

Arma 2 --> Take on Helicopters

TOH --> Arma 3

TOH --> DayZ SA

This is how most game development companies that use their own engine tech operate -- they branch their previous game, strip it down, then build it back up again into the next game.

Notice DayZ breaks the pattern. The A3 version of the engine is still in major development, and DayZ SA also requires them to make some heavy modifications. Doing both at once on the same branch will just slow down the development pace of both games, and Arma 3 is still too unstable to be branched from, so they've had to back up and create another branch out from TOH.

They chose to branch from the stable TOH version of the engine, rather that co-developing it alongside Arma 3 on the newest branch of the engine, for the sake of stability in both games. Because of this, it will be missing out on the latest graphical and simulation features that have been added between TOH and Arma 3, but at the same time, Arma 3 will be missing out on the re-written netcode and cheat-protection that DayZ SA will bring... Hopefully in the future they merge both these branches back together.

Edited by ActionMan
  • Like 2

I seriously doubt that BI are spending big bucks on DayZ, I would expect they are doing it low cost to get the most dollar value to themselves.

If you believe that they care about anything other than money then please take a short course in marketing.

You are right, they arent spending big bucks, but you obviously dont know what BI is all about, its never been about making big bucks, in any of the Arma games... It wasnt even popular before DayZ. (niche genre) And even with DayZ they still aint no where near EA, or other giants, on sales.

BI is a very small company, trying to pull off something nobody else does, a complex shooter borderlining to pure simulation, with all battlefield elements (vehicles, artillery, etc.) and they are doing it like nodoby else tbh.

For the SA they are on a completely new playing field. They havent done anything like this before, so one could assume theres more "trial and error" processes, then they have in TOH or Arma III. That could be one of the biggest reason as to why its not relesed yet. To much brand new code

Yes yes, engine and all that, i know. But they are trying to make the Real Virtuality game engine do things it has never been able to do before. It takes alot more time then simply "adapting" the engine for the next gen game, like TOH and Arma III.

And dont be fooled by the big companies out there, BI is not here to make big bucks like them. They "sacrifice" popularity and money for fantastic gameplay and content, you can call it theyre business model :) Even the BI devs have said multible time, they are implementing stuff into the game, because they want it in the game, not because it will earn them more money... Thats what i love about them, they have integrity compared to most others.

Just because most companies rip you off and make you pay for every little thing, doesnt mean everybody does that.

• Like 3

Dayz is a very successful thing for them got them at least 30 million dollars which is quite alot it would be foolish to not do anything this spectacular again and Dayz probably advertised the arma games aswell.