OfficerRaymond

DayZ in a way, has ruined gaming for me!

So... I'll start off by saying obviously DayZ isn't a bad thing, but it has seriously changed the way I look at gaming and what I look for in games themselves. I find that I do not enjoy games that I used to really like after being on a DayZ binge for the past few months (lol).

Exhibit A... As this is my last day of spring break, I am enjoying it by staying up late, and it is currently Monday. Yesterday, my buddy came over and we had a few drinks and played games, as we do every Sunday (as it is written). He brought over a few we had been playing, and one I hadn't tried. We started off with this game... and it was a humm dinger. Might wanna close your eyes for this one guys, because the game was Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Yes... I know, the face you are making is the same face that I made when he said that I HAD to play it. So, I humored him... and after a few games, myself as well. Could not stop lol'ing at every turn. The non-existent tactics of squads, the trolling, the weapons, hip-firing, sniping, the CHILDREN, everything about the game was awful to a now veteran DayZ/ArmA2 player. So... after a few games, we finally switched to another game that I knew I enjoyed... Halo 4 multiplayer, our usual shoot the shit game that would consume Sunday after Sunday. But... I didn't even enjoy that... Slayer, Team Slayer, SWAT, even special modes wouldn't make me even jump. I went through the motions and quickly got bored. So we ended up switching over to Resident Evil 6 (which is NOT a good game by any means) and finishing Chris and Adas campaigns, and had to push myself through that and another three Dos Equis before I didn't even give a shit enough to play. So we turned on G4 and shot shit till my fiance had to mop me off the floor, and his girlfriend had to carry him to the car (true story lol). I have a headache from hell right now, and can't seem to find the remote :(

What I'm really getting at, is that I don't think I'll ever enjoy another game like I have enjoyed DayZ... At least not till SA :thumbsup:

How about you guys?... Any specific games it has ruined for you?

Edited by OfficerRaymond
  • Like 21

I don't even play other games anymore..

• Like 9

You just have to keep in mind that "those" games are far from reality and only hollywood action, then you can still enjoy them.

But actually admitting something like that should earn you more than just beans.

You just have to keep in mind that "those" games are far from reality and only hollywood action, then you can still enjoy them.

But actually admitting something like that should earn you more than just beans.

oh he got some :)

• Like 1

This pretty much sums up how I've been feeling lately. At the moment, i simply cannot play any other games than DayZ. It's the only game that i can play in longer periods. Some BF3 is in there every now and then, but not as much as i used to.

I played Battlefield 3, aprox 1800 hours on versus and other clan matches

I havent touched Battlefield in 4 months.. Thanks to DayZ :)

Try ARMA 3. Even the good, old CoD games will never satisfy you if you're looking for an immersive experience. They just aren't that kind of game.

Haven´t almost played any End Game (BF3) after it´s release or BF3 for that matter. Found on this forum some graphics tweaks that gave me a huge boost and made the game so much more enjoyable three weeks ago :D

And yeah, no more Skyrim :)

I stopped playing BF3 because of DayZ...before that I thought I had some intense moments in BF3, but it did not compare to what I've experienced in DayZ.

A single sound can freak you out...Being in the woods at night...think you are safe...then you hear a single shot...

...and feel like a dying leaf that is afraid of the autumn wind...

• Like 2

I still have considerable amount of hours logged on BF3. I really enjoy BF3 and Day Z. I don't like to get hung up on just one game. Day Z is great, but it's not the end all be all of video games. I also play BF3 in league play. Any type of league play where something on the line makes every moment tense. Maybe try jumping up from casual gamer to competitive gamer. Not saying to go out and hope to make money. You might find though you get that similar rush as Day Z, with your entire load out on the line trying to survive at all costs.

I think people assume Day Z is so addictive because it's realism. It's addictive because you HAVE something to lose. A lot of video games have gone to a mass marketing approach so that they're appealing to as many groups of people as possible. The hardcore gamers are not the majority of the market anymore. Day Z was one of the few games that threw it all on the line and proved people like a challenge. The last game I remember having any real repercussions for dying (and I haven't played all the games) was Everquest PVP server. You actually lost equipment, you lost hours or even days of experience, and possibly a few hour trek back to your corpse if you didn't remember to bind your character to the nearest city. EQ PVP intially had a huge following, but eventually the unbalance of the classes made it lose it's appeal.

So, the TL;DR: Games aren't risk adverse anymore. Day Z is, that's why it's so addicting. Try playing in leagues or ladders.

• Like 1

I can see where you are coming from but I just don't get that. I like games and I'll play them on whatever system really. I'm not into the whole PC vs Console snobbery or whatever. I've had most computers and consoles since pretty much the beginning and can take enjoyment from any of them. I absolutely love playing DayZ with my mates, workmates and randoms and can honestly say it's one of the best games I've ever played but it's far from ruined other games. I still don't think it's as fun as Micro Machines on the PSX, Goldeneye on the N64 or San Adreas on the PS2. I was at my bros the other night and his PC can't really cut it for DayZ (he does like it though) so we played some games on his 360 and PS3 (he has a chipped 360 so has pretty much every game on the thing). We eventually settled on a PS3 gamed called Tokyo Jungle and ended up playing it for hours it was just so much daft fun. So yeh I'm 100% what I'm getting at here but basically just take games for what they are. DayZ has been an unusually engaging game but you gotta see how others don't see this, to them it's a bug ridden shambles of a game. There will be plenty of games just as engaging as DayZ. I'm really looking forward to the new GTA and yes I'll get it and play it on the 360 and give not one single fuck :D

Just this weekend we had a LAN party with 7 friends.

They all came with BF3, COD and a lot of other games like Planet Side 2, Guild Wars 2 and Rift.

I sat there looking at them playing and for the first time in my life i was actually mad at my friends becase they are playing thoose games lol. Arma broke me.

I spend the entire weekend playing DayZ and Arma 3, barely noticing my friends lol. I cant be arsed to go back to a "regular" gaming experience after i discovered Arma.

Thx BI for showing me the light and FU for ruining my experience with all other games XD

• Like 2

I can still play Skyrim, Fallout, Minecraft, and the likes, but only BF3 and MW2 (because that's the only CoD game I have pre-DayZ and the only one I'd ever buy since most after suck indefinitely worse) when I want to destroy everyone because how apt I am from ArmA training- and they aren't.

Anyway, yeah, it does that, but the reason is that this game is quality. Those games (the FPSs, and RE6) aren't quality. You just demand a more.... QUALITY GAMING EXPERIENCE now.

And so do I.

I see myself moving away from games every day because I think I could make them so much better. So, for now, they're just ideas. I'll see where I get.

But yeah, don't be afraid to get new games, just get the really good ones.

i think the good competitive shooter are going to come back in the next 2 years or so because less and less people are getting what they were hoping for in modern games. Soon or later those big publishers will have to realize that the garbage casual games they produce aren't going to sell anymore.At least thats my opinion and yes i'm an optimist.

But look how many franchises EA for example manages to screw up. They killed almost all of their big titles within 2 years.Who thinks Battlefield 4 will be an exception is naive.

The developer may really want the best for their game but it's the greedy publishers that tell them to do this and that, because their market researcher say : "Oh look that game selled very well and it had that type of gameplay".So i'm thankful for developers like BI that aren't being bullyed by some giant publisher.

I can't play any other shooter except ArmA/DayZ anymore, but that's about it.

People have always been looking for more sandboxed games. That's why the GTA series was so successful, that's why minecraft blew every expectation and that's why dayZ was such a success.

I believe the only reason we played other games before was, because we didn't believe the game we always wanted to play even to be possible. Now we know. And we cannot make that unknown again.

• Like 3

People have always been looking for more sandboxed games. That's why the GTA series was so successful, that's why minecraft blew every expectation and that's why dayZ was such a success.

I believe the only reason we played other games before was, because we didn't believe the game we always wanted to play even to be possible. Now we know. And we cannot make that unknown again.

I think I have to agree with this the most.... I love sandbox games, it all started with morrowind, where you could do anything you chose to do, yeah there was a storyline, but after that first room where you can steal everything down to the very last spoon? That is what people want, to do whatever they want in a game, not those games where you are stuck following one path and cannot explore anything else in the game.. for example one of the old LOTR games, you see a tower in the backround and think oh thats cool looking, in Dayz/Skyrim/Minecraft you see the tower and think, I am going to go over there and look at it/destroy it/claim it as my own.... So I think it is the "having the options to do what I want" that makes dayz and others like it so addicting and enticing.
  • Like 2

I think I have to agree with this the most.... I love sandbox games, it all started with morrowind, where you could do anything you chose to do, yeah there was a storyline, but after that first room where you can steal everything down to the very last spoon? That is what people want, to do whatever they want in a game, not those games where you are stuck following one path and cannot explore anything else in the game.. for example one of the old LOTR games, you see a tower in the backround and think oh thats cool looking, in Dayz/Skyrim/Minecraft you see the tower and think, I am going to go over there and look at it/destroy it/claim it as my own.... So I think it is the "having the options to do what I want" that makes dayz and others like it so addicting and enticing.

cause there is no limit to what you can explore.

I've had to push DayZ away, as much as it pained me, and simply ignored it for a week. After that, I found that MMOs started coming to my tastes, oddly. Try World of Tanks, or Shaiya. Those two seemed to be able to keep my head off of DayZ. Also, I much prefer WoT over Shaiya, so I would recommend trying that first. Minecraft has also had a touch on my life, since then.

it all started with morrowind, where you could do anything you chose to do, yeah there was a storyline, but after that first room where you can steal everything down to the very last spoon?

I think it also was the last Elder Scrolls to actually hand your ass to you if you picked wrong stats or went into the wrong tomb / ruin where the foes were way too strong :D I remember my first character dying to a mudcrab, those were the days. The mods for it are crazy as well, you can get it to look really good even today. I'm going to start playing again when Tamriel Rebuilt is finished in a 100 years.

The thing that bugs me most about other first-person games after playing DayZ / Arma is the inability to actually look around you without turning your whole body and being able to see your body in first-person.

Edited by BadLuckBurt