Sign in to follow this  
Xianyu

SA: Server difficulty locks first person

I'm suggesting that the harder server difficulties, the more 'intense' servers, all force first person view.

I'm not a fan of constantly running around in first person. I really am not. And I prefer to play on the harder servers. But third person is just too powerful of a tool for ambushing, hiding, wallpeeking, etc etc etc.

Veteran servers with high difficulty should force first person to make the game more visceral and intense. No more will you be watched from out of line of sight by a sniper, or be wall-peeked by the guy hiding behind it. It'll actually make the veteran servers more realistic and less camped.

And if you can't handle first person, play on the kiddie servers.

Sure, it'll be an unpopular decision... but at least the CoD kiddies who need their wallpeeking to stay alive will stay off the veteran servers, neh?

• Like 4

Third-person is disabled on expert servers. Most people choose to play on the lower difficulty servers, so there aren't many around.

• Like 1

Third-person is disabled on expert servers. Most people choose to play on the lower difficulty servers, so there aren't many around.

Says you.

What's that supposed to mean? Lol.

expert servers are so unsettled... May be new third person view (from the shoulder) will solve the problem, old 3rdP can see anything staying near the wall

What's that supposed to mean? Lol.

i find expert servers everywhere :P

Remember that switching between the two modes of view isn't going to be as easy in the standalone as it is now. You are going to have to go into the options menu to do it, instead of just through a press of a button. Mr Lightfoot said this in a recent interview, that can be found in the info section of these forums.

I've been on all sorts of servers since forever. I never saw expert servers that had third person disabled by default. And that was back when on the regular hive.

i find expert servers everywhere :P

Yeah, empty ones. xD

I've been on all sorts of servers since forever. I never saw expert servers that had third person disabled by default. And that was back when on the regular hive.

That's because admin changed the settings. By default expert = 3DP: OFF.

Edited by mZLY

Yeah, empty ones. xD

That's because admin changed the settings. By default expert = 3DP: OFF.

That's what I mean with this suggestion. 3DP: OFF is DEFAULT and UNCHANGEABLE for expert servers. I'm sure there's a way to make that happen.

That's what I mean with this suggestion. 3DP: OFF is DEFAULT and UNCHANGEABLE for expert servers. I'm sure there's a way to make that happen.

Well it's not like you can stop them from tweaking the settings, but a preset unchangable setting would be nice.

Let's just hope they manage to bring all the good stuff from ArmA 3 into DayZ ( movement and driving wise ) then nobody can complain anymore about getting motion sick.

I play 3rdp and have never played CoD or anything like this? What does this have to do with CoD exactly?

expert servers are so unsettled... May be new third person view (from the shoulder) will solve the problem, old 3rdP can see anything staying near the wall

I can't say no to this enough so I'll do it again. OTS view is god awful and should be burned at the stake.

Many better solutions to some of the the worst uses of third person have have been proposed and I hope OTS is so far down the list of things to try that we'll never ever see it

I play 3rdp and have never played CoD or anything like this? What does this have to do with CoD exactly?

Basically he thinks that if you play CoD you automatically suck and find the game 'too hard' and have to use third person to play. Wrong. The reason I don't like first person is because it just looks and feels really sloppy and unpolished. I always use third person when travelling, but switch to first person in firefights.

• Like 1

i want fixed camera angles in every scene like in the early ResEvil games! that'd be great... i think it is rather poitnless to talk about that anyway. dean and his club stated not only once that there will be this as well as that, maybe FP-only-servers later on

I always use third person when travelling, but switch to first person in firefights.

"Why would you give up your advantage? Are you stupid?" is what some people would say...

Imo 3P should be on the first two difficulty levels and from veteran above it should be 1P. And the configs should not be changable...

Let's see how they fix that in the SA. Afaik a lot less options are already available compared to vanilla.

Edited by Enforcer

I am also in the habit of playing in third person a lot when ever I'm driving or not in combat. Wish I could get out of it. QQ

Look in "server.armaprofile" config , 3dp is set to 0 (off) for "Mercenary"(Expert) and can't be changed. (at least AFAIK it can't)

What OP suggests is basically making "Veteran" and "Expert" mean the same thing.

That doesn't make sense. Why make two options both the same?

If you don't want to have folks using 3dp, play on an Expert/Merc server.

@Enforcer. RE: "Why would you give up your advantage?"

In SA there's not going to be a crosshair on ANY server, so nobody will be fighting in 3dp.

Or, if they are, they're going to get their shit pushed in because they won't be able to aim.

The real problem is not that 3rd person exist, it is that server settings are not uniform.

If I join a Veteran Server, I should have X settings all the time.

If I join a Regular Server, I should have Y settings all the time.

If I join a Expert/Mercenary Server, I should have Z settings all the time.

Right now some veteran servers are more like regular ones and regular ones could be like expert ones except on Tuesday or Monday except it is March so you have to factor in Pi and then there is a random multipliers and sometimes a hacker messes up the algorithm or something wall climbing machetes. :huh: <_<

:facepalm:

Yeah... make the settings uniform.

• Like 2

Or, if they are, they're going to get their shit pushed in because they won't be able to aim.

ouch.

• Like 1

none of this shit will work and you will all bear witness to the failsim. people WILL play ONLY in 3DP (time to mark up the monitor) and even fixed servers / hives just won't be played (as players really don't care about being a hardcore 'ARMA wanker'). Giving people the option is total FAIL in the 1st place. Why can't Boho just man up & dictate the playstyle? here's why.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juqxMVMvJmM

none of this shit will work and you will all bear witness to the failsim. people WILL play ONLY in 3DP (time to mark up the monitor) and even fixed servers / hives just won't be played (as players really don't care about being a hardcore 'ARMA wanker'). Giving people the option is total FAIL in the 1st place. Why can't Boho just man up & dictate the playstyle? here's why.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juqxMVMvJmM

Not really...the current modern fps shooters show that you can make a copy of a copy of a copy ( which is the same dumbed down version of the predecessor with another backstory and the same old graphics ) and sell it for even more money every time and nobody complains about it beeing the same stuff everytime except the gamer magazines and everyone buys it.

Edited by Enforcer

Not really...the current modern fps shooters show that you can make a copy of a copy of a copy ( which is the same dumbed down version of the predecessor with another backstory and the same old graphics ) and sell it for even more money every time and nobody complains about it beeing the same stuff everytime except the gamer magazines and everyone buys it.

i suppose that's why they cancelled the next COD. dumbass.

i suppose that's why they cancelled the next COD. dumbass.

They cancelled the next CoD? Really?

I want proof.

To google! If this is true, I will laugh forever.