mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

I do know that Matt's been making some great progress with Kerbal if that helps.

• Like 2

(speaks without thinking)

We need an update urgently!

(thinks for a second)

I believe that all DayZ developers are playing Arma 3 and they have no time to work on DayZ SA.

(speaks with thinking first)

Well we are also doing that (playing Arma3), so why should we complain...

(realizes what he is doing)

Damn hypocrites!!! ;)

quick question: does rocket going to everest mean that there is no communication between the dev team and the community until he returns?

that is totally how its shaping up right now

Yep looks like it, piss poor. Just like when he didnt meet his deadline in December , on that occasion he hid, not a peep on redit, facebook, here, or twitter

Yea, the timing of his trip isn't that great. It was probably one of those once in a lifetime opportunities though.

Edited by PXXL

Yep looks like it, piss poor. Just like when he didnt meet his deadline in December , on that occasion he hid, not a peep on redit, facebook, here, or twitter

I know, right? I'd rather be reading updates about how Rocket is at Everest and how they're still testing AI and server capacity than accept that the Dev Team are working on it. They're so selfish, etc!

Edited by mzltv
  • Like 1

Somehow, this thread reminds me of this:

(imagine Roy's face as Rocket's and Moss's as Matt's :P )

Edited by Hoik
  • Like 2

Piss poor indeed. Unacceptable even.

Piss poor indeed. Unacceptable even.

It looks like the mind control is wearing off on Fraggle. Igor! fetch me the combobulizer! I operate tonight!

Seriously though, communication is a vital, vital part of any endeavour IMHO. But if the dev team have decided to go uber stealthy then that's fine, just let us know so we can pass that on to the wider world.

I think its the lack of consistency that jars.

This forum should be a key place for press releases with facebook/twitter used for tidbits/teasers.

Reddit has it's place also but IMHO should not take precedence over the main site. Or if it is meant to then link/embed it to the site.

As I have said many many times, a little feedback, even if not really interesting, is better than none at all.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 9

I think the problem with Dean is he thinks up something, like weekly dev blog updates, without thinking it through. Then when it becomes impossible to implement, just tries to hope we all forget it was mentioned.

If he'd said monthly, things would be different and monthly updates are more than most devs would give us.

Thing that worries me is if the development comes over unprofessional and disorganised what is the final SA release going to be? Surely communication cant be on hold, that would be farcical till when after May????? Someone must be running things in his absent and they can’t make Blog decisions?

Sorry if I missed a parting statement from Dean explaining things when he is away.

The one thing I can guarantee is many hours of Dean thinking about the game while he is away from the pressure of developing. It sure is going to be fun on his return to the office.

• Like 1

Hello there

Just because a few of us complain about the perceived lack of info doesn't mean that the devs are being unprofessional.

We are griping about issues that concern "us", but I bet there's thousands who don't care a jot about the blog etc.

I'm positive there is a reason and/or reasoning behind the lack of info even if we don't personally agree.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Surely Matt could take a little time to say a few words to the community?

I'm sure it would be appreciated, it's not like he's not on the forums, he was on last night.

If the promised Dev Blog isn't going to materialize then at least it would be something to keep the hounds at bay.

To be honest I was of the opinion that they were working on client server stuff (like my technical jargon eh); maybe there's just not that much to report back on. And from my point of view it would also be nice to discover a few surprises come the SA release.

even if someone just poked there head out of a hole and said "hey we are working hard on x y and z" that would be greatly appreciated

• Like 3

even if someone just poked there head out of a hole and said "hey we are working hard on x y and z" that would be greatly appreciated

True enough, just trying to stay positive :) but actually trying to convince myself I don't need a devblog. It didn't work. :lol:

How long long does it take to climb Everest?

Bloody two months? and In this time we may get any update? rocket may as well just tell us the SA is not coming out till next year at this rate.

Climb now, by next week you'll be on top, then you can take piccies and come back down, I'll even ask some of my 22nd mates for a lift down if you like.

2 bloody month, it's easier going shopping with the wife.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25
  • Like 1

the fuck... they have never said anything about deadlines, they even made it clear that the devblogs would be postponed if it interfered with development.

at least till june i'll just play arma 2, football manager 2013 and fallout. thats all i need for the moment.

now there is a point where i clearly do not understand what they try to achieve /gain from this newly introduced and rigorously executed communication "policy". they clearly cannot deny the growing discontent. i just cannot understand this inconsistency in terms of communication. it would be easy really easy still to say a few words even only now an then about some stuff, some issues that occured etc. or at least say...yeah we don't have something to show so better be prepared for the next weeks.

i don't know what YOU are trying to achieve with this "policy"...

nevertheless kudos to all for being patient and keeping an enjoyable and calm atmosphere in here. it is like waiting with you guys for a justin bieber concert and he is 2 1/2 hours late...again!

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 5

Doesn't really bother me that they're not saying anything, just bothers me that they said they would say something and didn't say anything... or something...

• Like 1

It looks like the mind control is wearing off on Fraggle. Igor! fetch me the combobulizer! I operate tonight!

Seriously though, communication is a vital, vital part of any endeavour IMHO. But if the dev team have decided to go uber stealthy then that's fine, just let us know so we can pass that on to the wider world.

I think its the lack of consistency that jars.

This forum should be a key place for press releases with facebook/twitter used for tidbits/teasers.

Reddit has it's place also but IMHO should not take precedence over the main site. Or if it is meant to then link/embed it to the site.

As I have said many many times, a little feedback, even if not really interesting, is better than none at all.

Rdgs

LoK

Absolutely correct. The inconsistent updates is what's getting on people's nerves. You can keep telling the world," update soon!" and not follow through multiple times.

You then can't bombard the community with info, and immediately go dark afterwards without a warning.

If rocket can't update us, seeing Matt is shy about talking on the whole process, then someone should just tell us. Hell, tweet it.

"No updates for this week."

Problem solved.

• Like 1

Yup, I have to agree. Most people aren't concerned with the wait for the actual game it's just the sketchy communication itself. I don't think Rocket should ever have commited to a weekly devblog without the intention of following it through. I was expecting some to be late or even missed completely but they haven't even come close to doing it.

TBH, I personally don't care about devblogs. I'd be happy if they didn't release a single nugget of info until release but many people get the impression that they're disorganised because of the way they've handled the blogs. Now I'm a bit torn here because part of me thinks "well who cares what others think as long as the end result comes up with the goods" and the other part just get's frustrated. As said already, they should have just aimed for a monthly one if they had to set a certain target.

Anyhoo, ;luckily I've found some absolutely epic games to tide me over recently.

• Like 2