mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

I am really happy to see radios and and an improved direct chat (whisper and shout) implemented...hopefully a few more people will use that instead of team speak or skype...

i am a bit put off that there was no mention of a mission generator of some kind. huff!!

Also, one thing that is glaringly absent is the ability for players to make their own ammunition. This could be part of an an advanced skill that could lead to players becoming experienced in gunsmithing/repair, maintenance and handloading.

Edited by codestargod

i am a bit put off that there was no mention of a mission generator of some kind. huff!!

Also, one thing that is glaringly absent is the ability for players to make their own ammunition. This could be part of an an advanced skill that could lead to players becoming experienced in gunsmithing/repair, maintenance and handloading.

- Fetch 10 zombie brains

- Fetch 10 rabbit furs

- Fetch 10 cow hides..

Fuck that tbh.

"This is Day Z. This is your story"
  • Like 12

Only thing I am not sure I am going to like is the "push X to aim" thing, unless it can be turned into a toggle (pretty much what a lot of FPS games do with aiming down your sights, you have the option to press X to toggle ADS on and off or hold X down to ADS and release to return to hip fire, although here it will be more like raise/keep raised your weapon, rather than aim). I don't want to have to go through an animation when turning around a corner to find 5 zombies waitng for me in Cherno just because my hand got tired from holding down X to keep my weapon up.

Yeah, as someone who plays with a controller... I'm a bit concerned with the "push to aim" deal. Mostly in how it will be different from what we've got now. I think what would be different, is the default lowered weapon... rather than push to aim, which is what we've already got.

So, I'm thinking of it as the same thing... just with the default weapon orientation in "low-ready" or whatever the kids are calling it these days.

Since I very rarely use hipfire (slow and steady wins the race) the "lowered by deafult" / "hold to aim" really sounds like a positive change.

At least IMO it's move away from KoS deathmatch game features.

Looks like the game still has a crosshair though (a very loose one). I really thought that would have been scrapped with the rest of the HUD.

@Armaggedon97 + Katana67 ;

I think I get what you're saying, have an ability to toggle whether you have your weapon readied or lowered by default, but I'd like to think a readied weapon would make you move slower or have some drawbacks to it. Otherwise there's really going to be no point in defaulting to "lowered".

Everyone would just play like CoD/BF in hipfire-mode constantly, unless they were role-playing.

I might be wrong, but that's how I see it.

• Like 1

@Chabowski

I totally agree that having a readied weapon should have drawbacks, like making you move slower.

However, as I'm sure you know, the reasoning behind having a lowered aim and push to aim, is to supposedly minimize KOS.

I'm merely saying, right now... we've got "hipfire always ready" + "push/hold to aim". What they're advocating for is "hipfire lowered" + "push/hold to aim". So the only real change, in my mind, is the default stance rather than the act of aiming.

I too am like you and rarely use hipfire. I think the new system will be good, but I just think that it's more of a change in the default readiness stance rather than the actual act of aiming which is how Rocket described it. If it were tiered, which I suspect it will be, between "not ready" - "hipfire" - "ADS" then I think there may be a few problems with the small portion of players who use controllers. I don't pretend to think that this is a forefront of their control design, I just think that adding this layer of complexity may inadvertently sidestep alternate means of control.

Long story short, I agree with the new system... but am just skeptical of whether or not it will be fully compatible with a controller (DISCLAIMER - Not expecting them to cater to controllers). Whereas just changing the default readiness stance seems a much more simple solution to the desired problem of minimizing KOSing.

EDIT - Or, have the player raise his/her weapon up to hipfire if the fire button is held down but not the ADS button.

Edited by Katana67

Why not just make it this way:

1. "Weapon Low Ready" by default - allows for running, jumping, vaulting, and etc.

2. When CLICKING CTRL you toggle between "Weapon Low Ready/High Ready" (weapon down or weapon on hip):

2.a. When weapon in low ready (weapon down) - you can run, jump, vault, but cannot fire.

2.b. When weapon in high ready (weapon on hip, or in this case, shoulder) - you can hip fire but you walk slower (can only run if you toggle back to low ready or hold shift).

3. When CLICKING RMB you aim down the sight (no matter if in Low Ready or in High Ready, BUT):

3.a. When in low ready - aiming down the sight speed will be slower than the speed when aiming from weapon in high ready (when weapon on hip), maybe by 1-2 seconds.

3.b. When in high ready - aiming down the sight speed is instant.

This has been done in America's Army, I dunno if anyone of you have played it, but I really like this system. It should work pretty fine - low ready when you are not in combat, high ready when in combat.

This is also what is happening in real life. You usually walk with your weapon down (low ready), so you can run, jump, and etc. But when you put your rifle against your shoulder (go to high ready), you do not necessarily AIM down the sight. You can't really run or jump this way, though you can still shoot pretty fine. And the third step, you can also aim down the sight (will make you even slower). Now, obviously, it would take you more time to aim down the sight from when your weapon is lowered than if it was pressed against your shoulder...

I mean, it's just sounds pretty neat and simple.

Edited by osallivan
  • Like 4

Have they/have anyone asked or is there fact information are they going to do something about the grass draw distance that you could actually use it as a "cover" or to hide?

I think this is important as removing the zeds spawning at players presense...

Have they/have anyone asked or is there fact information are they going to do something about the grass draw distance that you could actually use it as a "cover" or to hide?

I think this is important as removing the zeds spawning at players presense...

Q: How far away will grass render?

A: I'm trying to think, it's forced by server I think. I'm not sure, it's kind of hard to tell because of the changes in the way rendering works. I haven't noticed it as much so I'd have to check. I read peoples concerns with that other game recently and it's problems with that, so we are aware of it but we haven't looked at it yet and it's going to be an issue but hopefully one we can solve.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/120064-shannonzkiller-jan-2013-interviewlivestream-with-rocket/

That's the only thing I have seen.

• Like 1

Dear Rocket: Most of us on here are going to get DayZ on day 1 whether its an alpha/unplayable/incomplete or not. :P So please pretty please make the first batch of keys BIG! :beans:

Edited by Zarniwoop
  • Like 1

I think the animation for unholstering a rifle should be slower, and the pistol to be faster. Anyone else feel this?

Edited by Gesundheit
  • Like 3

Q: How far away will grass render?

A: I'm trying to think...

Yes, this one I have also seen but just tought if there is any "fresh" info about this...

Dont like the feel crouching around "safe" long grass fields that are bald for someone looking from the distance and I will stick out as a sore thumb.

I think the animation for unholstering a rifle should be slower, and the pistol to be faster. Anyone else feel this?

I don't think it should be slower, at least not like it is the mod. In a pinch you can get a rifle off your shoulder pretty damn fast! Even more so if you are used to doing it.

• Like 1

June?!?!?

your comment makes me wanna buy a dirty stinking haddock or some large sea mammal and slap you round your senseless head.

• Like 1

I would just like some clarification that the Keys when issued are gonna be the same price, as the next batch? I don't expect I will be one of the first (too many others to consider, reddit, twitter and the rest of the world bar the forums >:( ) But I would like to purchase DayZ SA cheap as I will be following all through development come hell or high water. Are we going to be able to buy the first keys from Steam or what? or are they gonna be personally handed out (Press and everyone else)

I can wait as long as it takes, what they have now is not up to standard (Floating cans, Night time req's modification, Zombies are camp etc.) take all the time in the world, other games out there to play in the meantime. After all, If you pay for a game, people expect a more refined game

What I would like to see is player screen when you Loot another player, Is it gonna just show us the same as our players? or will we have to search each pocket to see what they are carrying in a menu like sytem? after all, when you murder someone they don't show you all their wares without some hand in pocket. It would add to the suspense when looting bodies in tense moments! ;)

Another thing, do the vehicles drive like blocks of stone in Arma 3? Just port them in the meantime work can be done on them when you get to your Mad Max style. If you do a disclaimer like a few pages before you purchase and allow buyers to realise they are buying a non finished product, they will have nothing to moan about!

Whenever it comes, It will be a great day in the gaming industry. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Yes, this one I have also seen but just tought if there is any "fresh" info about this...

Dont like the feel crouching around "safe" long grass fields that are bald for someone looking from the distance and I will stick out as a sore thumb.

I think there is no game engine that can render grass that far in the distance....would be cool though

I think there is no game engine that can render grass that far in the distance....would be cool though

right, no matter how you set it up, someone is going to benefit from it, and some are going to get the opposite, no way to really make everyone happy there...

would be cool for it to work that way, but youd need to have quite the computer to make it happen...

Edited by peregrinus

I don't think it should be slower, at least not like it is the mod. In a pinch you can get a rifle off your shoulder pretty damn fast! Even more so if you are used to doing it.

Yes, but these aren't trained killers. They're pretty average people who managed to survive a zombie apocalypse, I don't think people are really used to unholstering a rifle so quickly, at least without stumbling once or twice. I can imagine more experienced users, yes, so maybe overtime the rifle unholster animation gets slightly quicker the longer you hold it? The mod's version is a bit too slow for my liking. The one in ArmA 3 feels about right, in my opinion. Edited by Gesundheit

Even if you can't render grass, you can make the character harder to detect. E.g. make the colors disappear somewhat or make him float a bit into the ground when he is lying still (already possible in Arma).

I don't like the thing about holding a button to aim, whats the point? If people want to aim they'll just stick a penny on the button. I like the freedom DayZ gives without being judgemental about wheter people want to play the way they do. Steering people in a certain direction isn't what this game used to be, at least not in such an obvious manner.

Actually Project Realty mod for Battlefield 2 has locked grass statics rendering at max distance for everyone, meaning you can hide without fear of sticking out, if they can do it in a mod for BF2 im sure it's possible in the SA, question is, how many potential customers do they wish to let out because of the higher computer specs needed. The BF2 mod lost about 5% of it's players in the patch that implemented that change.

• Like 2