mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

Nerf

verb - to nerf.

past participle - nerfed.

Definition - To make worse, weaken or reduce effectiveness of.

Nerf

noun

Definition -

X9urTeHl.jpg

I don't understand what you're trying to prove? Will the "survival plans" not indirectly nerf PVP by making it "less of a first option for many players"?

Are we still on track for servers with 150 players? Because I don't understand how anyone expects PVP to be "nerfed" in any respect with 3 times the amount of players on most current servers. If anything it makes "New Cherno" all that more exciting to consider going to. Especially with the overwhelming amount of work/new buildings they've done on it.

But with 4000 zombies on the server will there be any time for PvP?

And that's precisely what I mean by indirectly nerfing PVP.

• Like 2

Anyone remembers Dead Island game? I thought that was the best zombie game ever made. Any things we could pull out from it?

so you have 60+ deer stands, and 45 towns (yea... count em). lets pretend... a fully spawned NEW cherno/elektro/berezino each hold 300 zombies each, thats almost 1k of this 4k total.

3 zombies per deer stand 180

45 towns... with average of... what 50? 2250

these 3 numbers bring us up to 3330. Factor in... NWAF... good 100+ if fully spawned easily. Balota medical tents, Balota Airstrip, NE Airstrip... etc.. etc..

PLUS you have all the little piddly shit like a random stable out by itself, the wooden shacks...

Please say you are stoned or bad at math, because... My math adds up. Does yours?

• Like 1

so you have 60+ deer stands, and 45 towns (yea... count em). lets pretend... a fully spawned NEW cherno/elektro/berezino each hold 300 zombies each, thats almost 1k of this 4k total.

these 3 numbers bring us up to 3330. Factor in... NWAF... good 100+ if fully spawned easily. Balota medical tents, Balota Airstrip, NE Airstrip... etc.. etc..

PLUS you have all the little piddly shit like a random stable out by itself, the wooden shacks...

Please say you are stoned or bad at math, because... My math adds up. Does yours?

You forgot that there will be much more area. There will be one more big city, some new villages and an island!

• Like 1

Stop misusing the word nerf. That is not what it means

Stop misusing the word nerf. That is not what it means

Congratulations, you jumped on the band-wagon.

EDIT:

As profit Chaboswki said: nerf = to limit the effectiviness. Lets use substition to help you understand. "And that's precisely what I mean by indirectly [limiting the effectiviness] of PVP."

Limiting the effectiviness = nerf, nerf = limiting the effectiviness. Honestly, are we still on about this?

Edited by roykingtree
  • Like 1

The pathfinding bit was great. It's nice to see that zombies will go from annoying to threatening.

Question now is: will we have enough bullets to kill 'em all?

I dearly hope not.

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 2

The pathfinding bit was great. It's nice to see that zombies will go from annoying to threatening.

I dearly hope not.

It seemed they improved it, but didn't fix it. Zombie path finding is now from point A(zombie) to B to C(player) they still need to cut out point B.

• Like 1

I want there to be so many zombies that people have to think very carefully before shooting any kind of weapon (that isn't the crossbow, or silenced).

The dinner bell effect should be huge in the stand alone, so that if you shoot someone (or something) in a city or whatever, you end up surrounded by every zombie within realistic ear-shot. The ones furthest away shambling in towards the sound, and the ones closest running towards it, from all directions.

Make it so that if you are lone wolfing it and a murderous bastard, or just careless, you basically have zero chance of survival because you don't have anyone covering your back.

At the very least, you should only survive by the skin of your teeth.

Of course, I am only saying all of this because the gameplay I enjoy the most is being a sneaky, pacifist (yet heavily armed) bastard that voyeuristically stalks potential threats to my survival from afar...

Either that or staging ridiculous zombie stand offs with a group of friends, mostly just for the hell of it...Sometimes for beans or a tin of coke...lol

• Like 5

I dearly hope not.

Amen. I always thought of them as annoying rather than scary.

Congratulations, you jumped on the band-wagon.

EDIT:

As profit Chaboswki said: nerf = to limit the effectiviness. Lets use substition to help you understand. "And that's precisely what I mean by indirectly [limiting the effectiviness] of PVP."

Limiting the effectiviness = nerf, nerf = limiting the effectiviness. Honestly, are we still on about this?

effectiviness of Pvp??? Wtf does that mean? So if I shot a guy in head with ak he won't die because PvP is nerfed?

no not totally removing it just some are trying to make out pvp isnt needed or isnt a vital part of the game. its one of the biggest parts of the game . trying to deny this is foolish. whether it was meant to be by rocket is a different story but the game has evolved itself into a pvp game. trying to alter the product that masses enjoy to cater for minorities is a bad idea.

what i dont get is all you have to do is look at walking dead tv series which is basically this game just in game form.

rick and his crew started out lets help all lots died people betrayed people and after you get fooked over a few times you dont go back you become less trusting you would kill more on sight you wont take risks.

this is highlighted in the later series and just shows the differences in how dayz is played now and how it started out.

i do agree more things need to be added to dayz but im just saying dont overlook how many people play dayz for pvp.

I haven't seen the episode yet where they all get together and say, "Let's go down to the beach and pwn some noobs!"

Killing should have consequences. It does in real life. It should in game too. It should not be random and indiscriminate. If you fire a gun it should be dangerous and attract many zombies. Killing that person needs to be worth the risk, and that risk should be high.

effectiviness of Pvp??? Wtf does that mean? So if I shot a guy in head with ak he won't die because PvP is nerfed?

No but you might die after being swarmed by zombies.

Was it just me, or did Rocket put away his AK faster than I get out of bed?(In the latest blog video) Increased weapon swap speeds, Hoorah! :lol:

Edited by Jakalanche

You'll still be able to kill and die at the drop of a hat.

Adding zeds and survival elements does not reduce the power or limit the effectiveness of PvP.

I have no idea where you're getting this idea from.

Unless you think there will be so many zombies that they somehow form a bullet-proof barrier around players.

We wouldn't still be going on about it if you weren't still getting it wrong.

Was it just me, or did Rocket put away his AK faster than I get out of bed?(In the latest blog video) Increased weapon swap speeds, Hoorah! :lol:

I wouldn't worry to much about any of the anims considering they're all being re-done. (as I understand it anyway.)

Edited by Fraggle

Anyone remembers Dead Island game? I thought that was the best zombie game ever made. Any things we could pull out from it?

Yeh, I really enjoyed it. I think some of the good things about that game are already being looked at (crafting, weapon customisation ect). In fact I loved that game and thought it was underrated but it was very different from what the devs are going for with DayZ.

The zeds in that game were scary as hell (to me anyway). If I could pick one thing the devs looked to that game for inspiration for it would probably be the zed sounds. When you heard one scream from a distance you knew it was about to kick off.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Great devblog. What I am most interested in next is what will be done to change player behaviour to be more cooperative? In my eyes, it would be great if certain tasks can't be done alone. For example: repairing a completely destroyed engine. It would be great if it takes 2 guys to either lift it, or to completely run through the repairing animation. If the engine is not completely damaged (status orange) it should be manageable to repair alone with some scrap metal.

I am sure there are many potential ideas on how to "force" people working together rather than shoot each other because that's the only thing you can do, once you have a great gun and don't have anything else to do alone other than shooting.

• Like 1

Great devblog. What I am most interested in next is what will be done to change player behaviour to be more cooperative? In my eyes, it would be great if certain tasks can't be done alone. For example: repairing a completely destroyed engine. It would be great if it takes 2 guys to either lift it, or to completely run through the repairing animation. If the engine is not completely damaged (status orange) it should be manageable to repair alone with some scrap metal.

I am sure there are many potential ideas on how to "force" people working together rather than shoot each other because that's the only thing you can do, once you have a great gun and don't have anything else to do alone other than shooting.

In my opinion the main Idea would be to form a group in wich every character will have a role (medic, engeneer, sniper, scout etc.) it shouldn't be big, but the cooperation would be built on unique abilities of each member of the group which will help to survive the whole group. Like in DnD.

Rocket said in the video that they spawn 3000 zeds atm and that they will most likely be able to spawn more in the future, so who knows maybe we will see something between 5 and 7 thousand. Beside this not every place has to be swarmed by zombies, this would be really boring ( one point I never liked in the mod).. Sometimes it is much more scary to find a completely abandonned place..no zeds,..no sound..being scared by your own shadow :). Last but not least we should keep in mind that the zed population on the map will be more dynamic...empty villages could be swarmed by zeds some time later etc.

• Like 1